HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dallas Eakins' Contract

Old
05-01-2014, 11:18 PM
Oi'll say!
Read this now!

vCash: 500
Dallas Eakins' Contract

I was under the impression that Dallas Eakins was being paid $4m per season just from the word around here but I tried a google search and I can't find his salary anywhere.

The reason I'm interested is because since the Canucks fired Tortellini they are saying that he was signed for 5 years at $2M per season.

Is it possible that the Oilers signed Eakins for twice the salary that the Canucks paid Tortellini? Tortellini has a Stanley Cup and a few NHL winning seasons under his belt.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 11:24 PM
Hockey Nightmare

Not sure.

Last edited by Hockey Nightmare: 05-02-2014 at 12:04 AM.
Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 11:26 PM
40oz

I could not care less about how much coaches make.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 11:55 PM
stratedge
I rigged the lotto.

vCash: 1176
No no... it was a 4 year contract though. I seem to recall it being $3M for the entire 4 years but I'm not sure where I heard that, if that was ever reported.

I think $1M/year is the typical coaches salary, more for established guys in demand like Torts would have been last year, and Gretzky when he was coaching was making something ridiculous like $7M/season and there were no coaches anywhere near that in the league.

I think the contract length means they get paid if they get fired for that long, but I am assuming it would be voided if they take another coaching job.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 12:11 AM
Oi'll say!
Read this now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
No no... it was a 4 year contract though. I seem to recall it being $3M for the entire 4 years but I'm not sure where I heard that, if that was ever reported.

I think $1M/year is the typical coaches salary, more for established guys in demand like Torts would have been last year, and Gretzky when he was coaching was making something ridiculous like $7M/season and there were no coaches anywhere near that in the league.

I think the contract length means they get paid if they get fired for that long, but I am assuming it would be voided if they take another coaching job.
If it's only a few million I don't know why they wouldn't see the writing on the wall from last season. The number of players whose value plummeted is far higher than the number of players who got better, and that says a lot on a team as young as the Oilers with so many top 10 draft picks under 25 (plus Eberle).

The Stanley cup is won by drafting and player development, and the Oilers are two months from being done with the drafting stage. The wealth of high-end prospects in the system need to be handled properly, and judging by how far the Oilers went downhill last season the players aren't being handled properly.

If you were the president of the nhl and looking to grow the entire brand you would see the Oilers job of developing this current crop as one of the key areas of importance in the last 30 years.

It's a joke that the Oilers refuse to even consider the importance of the job that Eakins has right now. Him "learning on the job" at the expense of all these prospects is a tragedy.

Old
05-02-2014, 12:33 AM
McRpro
NHL hockey = garbage

The Oilers have fired coach, after coach, after coach, after coach. Maybe it's time to think that perhaps coaching isn't the problem with this team eh?

McRpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 12:35 AM
Wheathead
Formally a McRib

Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
What's it matter?

Wheathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 12:36 AM
Wheathead
Formally a McRib

Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpro View Post
The Oilers have fired coach, after coach, after coach, after coach. Maybe it's time to think that perhaps coaching isn't the problem with this team eh?
Take that common sense elsewhere.

Wheathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 12:50 AM
Tarus
FireChia#

Quote:
Rather simplistic way of looking at it, it's possible for both the team and coach to be terrible.

Acknowledging what a disaster Eakins was in his first season doesn't detract or obscure the other monumental problems with the franchise, which include the roster and the incompetents in management

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 02:00 AM
Spawn

I think its a good thing if the Oilers are willing to spend top dollar on staff. As has been argued many times before. There may be a cap on player salary, but there is no cap on staff spending. Now if only they were better at actually selecting that staff.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 02:55 AM
Del McPreston

vCash: 137
There's no way a rookie head coach is making $4 million a season.

Del McPreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 03:10 AM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
Sacking Quinn was the right move, everyone in the universe knew that. However, every coach-firing after that's been a mistake. I'd have been happy with Renney behind the bench the last 4 seasons.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 03:57 AM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

4M per season? Where are you getting that number from, Oi'll say!? I would seriously question it. The top-end, in demand, established NHL coaches are making around 2M a season. Eakin's salary hasn't been disclosed anywhere that I can find, but I think the average coach in the league makes 1M, so I'm guessing it's nowhere near close to double the top end salaries. It really doesn't effect anything anyway, other than Katz's pockets, which I've heard are pretty deep.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 04:55 AM
LaGu

So the value of a coach is more or less same as a 4th liner, or a 3rd liner if he is experienced.

I didn't know their salary levels were in that range and I think it is a bit strange.

Capello (one of the most highly thought of soccer coaches in the world) always requested 10% more salary than the best paid player on his team. According to him it is about recognizing the importance of the team of players and not the individuals which would be implied if single players are paid more than the person leading them. Also had to do with recognizing seniority and hierarchy in the organization

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 08:55 AM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
So the value of a coach is more or less same as a 4th liner, or a 3rd liner if he is experienced.

I didn't know their salary levels were in that range and I think it is a bit strange.

Capello (one of the most highly thought of soccer coaches in the world) always requested 10% more salary than the best paid player on his team. According to him it is about recognizing the importance of the team of players and not the individuals which would be implied if single players are paid more than the person leading them. Also had to do with recognizing seniority and hierarchy in the organization
good luck having an NHL coach getting 10 million a year.
I understand the thinking, but to me Capello is using a good argument to justify his greed.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 09:02 AM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Me too.

But...gotta admit...its getting ridiculous how many coaches are being paid by past employers (some of them more than one) and were not talking about petty change either.

Say what you want about the harshness of being "hired to be fired"...but dang...these thirsty ******** are getting PAID!

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 09:10 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
I was under the impression that Dallas Eakins was being paid $4m per season just from the word around here but I tried a google search and I can't find his salary anywhere.

The reason I'm interested is because since the Canucks fired Tortellini they are saying that he was signed for 5 years at $2M per season.

Is it possible that the Oilers signed Eakins for twice the salary that the Canucks paid Tortellini? Tortellini has a Stanley Cup and a few NHL winning seasons under his belt.
There is no way Eakins as a rookie coach is getting 4mill a year-- you are looking at 1 to 2 a year at most

05-02-2014, 09:38 AM
Oi'll say!
Read this now!

Quote:
If the oilers stayed the same in some areas, improved in some areas, got worse in some areas I'd be inclined to agree with you.

The oilers got a lot worse in every single way that's measurable from special teams, gf, ga, w/l, goaltending, and none of the rookie crowd progressed.
Taylor Hall matched his pace from last season, we had one player plateau at 20.
You think that's good enough?

Old
05-02-2014, 09:42 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

It both doesn't matter and your wrong about the amount Torts is getting, I'm pretty sure it's $4M per season.

You should put in a "Freedom of Information Request" to the team so you can properly express your outrage and anger.

Jimmi McJenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 10:08 AM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
This.

Who cares how much any NHLer gets paid? Be it player, coach or Manager.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 10:30 AM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
This.

Who cares how much any NHLer gets paid? Be it player, coach or Manager.
Well players are a different story because it effects things like the salary cap, buyouts, etc...
Coaches and management I could care less about.

BowDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 10:39 AM
Aerchon

Personally I think the contract length is what makes Mac T look foolish no matter how much he makes.

Sure the Nucks was bad as well going for Torts over 5 year, but at least he is a proven NHL/Stanley cup winning coach.

4 years for a scrub with silky smooth hair at any price is terrible.

And for those saying coaching is not the problem I would strongly disagree.

Quinn was terrible during his time here. He gave up quick and was visibly disgusted with his own team. Not sure when that coaching style was deemed effective... oh right never.

I thought Renny should have been given more time but he was sacrificed so Lowe could keep his job. I actually think he was our best although at the time I wasn't exactly a big supporter either. First NHL head coaching job.

Ditto Ralph. Not even a full season and he was gone. Very premature. First NHL head coaching job.

Eakins has some things I like but that is true of all of the above. Generally speaking tho, there is no doubt in my mind that Eakins is THE WORST COACH of the bunch. First NHL head coaching job.

That's some terrible management.

Rookie GM, rookie coach, leading a whole bunch of rookies... what could possibly go wrong.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 10:52 AM
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
Personally I think the contract length is what makes Mac T look foolish no matter how much he makes.

Sure the Nucks was bad as well going for Torts over 5 year, but at least he is a proven NHL/Stanley cup winning coach.

4 years for a scrub with silky smooth hair at any price is terrible.

And for those saying coaching is not the problem I would strongly disagree.

Quinn was terrible during his time here. He gave up quick and was visibly disgusted with his own team. Not sure when that coaching style was deemed effective... oh right never.

I thought Renny should have been given more time but he was sacrificed so Lowe could keep his job. I actually think he was our best although at the time I wasn't exactly a big supporter either. First NHL head coaching job.

Ditto Ralph. Not even a full season and he was gone. Very premature. First NHL head coaching job.

Eakins has some things I like but that is true of all of the above. Generally speaking tho, there is no doubt in my mind that Eakins is THE WORST COACH of the bunch. First NHL head coaching job.

That's some terrible management.

Rookie GM, rookie coach, leading a whole bunch of rookies... what could possibly go wrong.
It was not Renneys first head coaching job. And I disagree re Quinn, the trashing he takes for speaking his mind about the **** pile he was handed is unfair. that said I agree that they have basically ****ed up everything else.

Fire Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 11:03 AM
missinthejets

Quote:
The roster might have issues but coaching IS a problem. Too many regressions for it to not be.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 11:10 AM
Aerchon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Lowe View Post
It was not Renneys first head coaching job. And I disagree re Quinn, the trashing he takes for speaking his mind about the **** pile he was handed is unfair. that said I agree that they have basically ****ed up everything else.
I had forgotten his brief stint as the Rangers head coach. 20 games at the end of one season to take over for a firing and then only lasted 9 games before being fired himself. Still, probably not a coincidence that he was the best of the bunch, at least he had a bit of experience to work from.

That year with Quinn our team was terrible, and we had league leading injuries as well? But Quinn went too far. He threw his team under the bus every single game. At some point he should of at least pretended he was part of the team and responsible for getting them to work together and play better.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote