HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Dallas Eakins' Contract

Old
05-02-2014, 11:29 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
I had forgotten his brief stint as the Rangers head coach. 20 games at the end of one season to take over for a firing and then only lasted 9 games before being fired himself. Still, probably not a coincidence that he was the best of the bunch, at least he had a bit of experience to work from.

That year with Quinn our team was terrible, and we had league leading injuries as well? But Quinn went too far. He threw his team under the bus every single game. At some point he should of at least pretended he was part of the team and responsible for getting them to work together and play better.
Brief stint? 4 1/2 seasons is brief? Might want to check your facts...

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 11:37 AM
Aerchon

vCash: 500
Oops my bad.

I don't think I ever really knew he coached for them that long. I thought he was their assistant coach forever except for a brief stint.

Ah well.

And that would again explain why he was the best of that bunch.

Gagner, Petry, and Smid all had career years under him from defensive perspective IMO. Gagner right now doesn't even know where the defensive end is anymore.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 11:39 AM
moog35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
It both doesn't matter and your wrong about the amount Torts is getting, I'm pretty sure it's $4M per season.

You should put in a "Freedom of Information Request" to the team so you can properly express your outrage and anger.
Torts was signed to a 5year $10million contract that included a clause that reduces the $amount if he gets fired and doesnt meet expectations. Its being reported that he will receive $1.6million

moog35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 11:51 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by moog35 View Post
Torts was signed to a 5year $10million contract that included a clause that reduces the $amount if he gets fired and doesnt meet expectations. Its being reported that he will receive $1.6million
Fair enough I guess, it doesn't really matter either way.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 12:02 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpro View Post
The Oilers have fired coach, after coach, after coach, after coach. Maybe it's time to think that perhaps coaching isn't the problem with this team eh?
Either that or this team is really bad at picking coaches.

Halibut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 12:56 PM
Mr Positive

vCash: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Either that or this team is really bad at picking coaches.
I'm pro-Eakins but I totally agree with this. We better not be keeping Eakins just for the sake of keeping things the same, saving face, or saving money on the contract.

We better be keeping him because he'll get the most out of this lineup. Like I said, I'm pro-Eakins, namely because the players seem to like him and he seems to be learning from his (many) mistakes.

We're keeping him, so we might as well get the most out of him. Like everyone else is saying now, we've got to replace a few assistant/associate coaches if we're not changing the head coach.

Mr Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 04:05 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
It both doesn't matter and your wrong about the amount Torts is getting, I'm pretty sure it's $4M per season.

You should put in a "Freedom of Information Request" to the team so you can properly express your outrage and anger.
No, I'm right his salary was $2M per season. Moog35 beat me to the punch tho, the guy is too quick. Must be on the sudafed.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 04:06 PM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRib View Post
Take that common sense elsewhere.
Common sense would be that good coaches don't grow and trees and just because you have had 4 (not counting Craig), doesn't mean any are particularly good. Coupled with that is:

2/4 had 0 NHL coaching experience

1/4(Quinn) was horrendous

No it isn't 100% the coaching but how could someone not include the coaching as a major factor? We've literally had a revolving door of nobodies and mediocrity at the position. Almost as much as our roster, if not more.

Here's hoping Dallas has some sort of epiphany next season.

armandh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 04:06 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
No, I'm right his salary was $2M per season. Moog35 beat me to the punch tho, the guy is too quick. Must be on the sudafed.
I guess, there is that "Freedom of Information Request" you can put into the team.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 05:04 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
I guess, there is that "Freedom of Information Request" you can put into the team.
Yeah that's such a good idea Jimmi, I can't believe I haven't done it yet. You must be an inventor or something.

Old
05-02-2014, 05:39 PM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
good luck having an NHL coach getting 10 million a year.
I understand the thinking, but to me Capello is using a good argument to justify his greed.
It's possible.

Although I must say that I still have a hard time seeing the justification for players earning more $ than the coach. Say I am 50 years old and a coach, today I need to tell a 19 year old that he us not good enough and he is out (i.e. scratch), at the same time I know he will make 3-4 times more than me on the year... I don't know. Seems odd to me but it is not really on topic so I'll drop it now.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 10:06 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
I'm pro-Eakins but I totally agree with this. We better not be keeping Eakins just for the sake of keeping things the same, saving face, or saving money on the contract.

We better be keeping him because he'll get the most out of this lineup. Like I said, I'm pro-Eakins, namely because the players seem to like him and he seems to be learning from his (many) mistakes.

We're keeping him, so we might as well get the most out of him. Like everyone else is saying now, we've got to replace a few assistant/associate coaches if we're not changing the head coach.
Judging from Mac T pumping the tires of those assistant coaches at his year end presser, it doesn't look like the assistants are going anywhere either. Continuity is a good thing I guess.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 10:16 PM
Mr Positive

vCash: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
Judging from Mac T pumping the tires of those assistant coaches at his year end presser, it doesn't look like the assistants are going anywhere either. Continuity is a good thing I guess.
If you read between the lines he was complimenting the coaches but also describing reasons that they will be fired. I think Bucky is the biggest example of this, where MacT said that Bucky represented a voice of a better time for the franchise but it is easy to imagine a presser where he is let go in order to "embrace a new era"

Mr Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 10:21 PM
Hugo Stiglitz

vCash: 1439
Quote:
If you read between the lines he was complimenting the coaches but also describing reasons that they will be fired. I think Bucky is the biggest example of this, where MacT said that Bucky represented a voice of a better time for the franchise but it is easy to imagine a presser where he is let go in order to "embrace a new era"
Actually, I never thought of it that way.

You can see the positives in everything, even that

Hugo Stiglitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 12:36 AM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Funny thing is, they were initially talking to Eakins about a job as an assistant coach, so they obviously thought that there was something wrong there last year.

Despite the whole team just getting worse, the people who were in danger of losing their jobs last year somehow proved themselves?

#lol@oilers

Old
05-05-2014, 01:00 AM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
Funny thing is, they were initially talking to Eakins about a job as an assistant coach, so they obviously thought that there was something wrong there last year.

Despite the whole team just getting worse, the people who were in danger of losing their jobs last year somehow proved themselves?

#lol@oilers
They were talking to Eakins about being an assistant because when Renney was fired Krueger was promoted to his job and nobody was ever hired to fill the position he vacated. If the organization ever thought there was a competence issue with Buchberger and Smith they would have let them go with Krueger last off season. Instead they kept them and then added Acton to complete the four man staff they had been going with for years. The seasons been over for almost a month. I think if they were making any changes with the assistants they'd have done it by now. They may not have hired new ones yet but they would have let go the people they weren't keeping and given them a head start on finding other employment. This reminds me of last summer when everybody thought the assistants would be turfed after Eakins was hired and the Oilers waited forever to announce both of them were coming back, seemingly hoping the anger would die down and everybody would forget about it.

Old
05-05-2014, 11:04 AM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Rexall could go up in a mushroom cloud and when the dust settled you'd see Bucky fighting off the cockroaches for food.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 12:29 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
Rexall could go up in a mushroom cloud and when the dust settled you'd see Bucky fighting off the cockroaches for food.
Yeah, that's the impression I get too and it's not just Bucky. All the ex Oiler players would survive.

Old
05-06-2014, 06:42 AM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Bucky's on, what, his 5th head coach now? As an assistant? Has there ever been one assistant coach in league history to survive that many coaching changes above him and still emerge unscathed? It'd be laughable if it wasn't just another sad indictment of the absolute idiots running the clownshow.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 01:29 AM
oilinblood

Quote:

Mark Morris was brought up a few times last summer as a man we should have interviewed. I feel MacT wouldnt have liked his defensive systems but he could be a good associate coach.
My personal opinion of Eakins as a head coach is on hold until he has a better support staff. Personally i dont think he has much support right now and that associate coach position; which MacT was trying to fill in the first place to support Kreuger; is still vacant.
I think making a hard play for Morris, very quickly, is the best move for the Oilers right now. With Hextall being promoted to GM of the Flyers...i think Morris might be off the market very soon.

The tough thing about coaching is egos and strengths. Head coaches arent supposed to be experts in all areas of the game, they need to be good with coaching their support staff and communicating a concise system. Their support staff must then coordinate their drills with the system the head coach wants executed. I dont see Eakins as a man who will be successful keeping control over every detail.
Another issue is just who is willing to take a support role with a rookie head coach who is making mistakes, and bound to make some more. Who can fill that role and fall in line, do their job, but also be an expert in their field enough to stand up and speak his mind, be respected, yet not rock the boat.

Its a delicate balance.

With that all being said i think this organization has to seriously clean house of the support coaching staff. If they want to keep Buchy...keep him as a trainers assistant or equipment guy. My biggest issue is if guys arent the best why are they training at the Nhl level? This is not a farm team yet this organization continually treats the Oilers as a grade school. This is unacceptable. I dont remember buchy or smith paying their dues at lower levels for five or ten years.
To me Eakins deserved a shot from his Ahl experience, and Morris deserves a shot as an associate coach. I have a few names in mind for assistants but the biggest need is to first fire all the supporting coaching staff, and hire the associate coach....then they can fill out the staff as they like.

Last edited by oilinblood: 05-08-2014 at 01:41 AM.
oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 01:31 AM
Del Preston
Pass to Purcell

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
Bucky's on, what, his 5th head coach now? As an assistant? Has there ever been one assistant coach in league history to survive that many coaching changes above him and still emerge unscathed? It'd be laughable if it wasn't just another sad indictment of the absolute idiots running the clownshow.
To be fair, with that hair and upper lip, no one wants to stay in the same room or look at Buchberger long enough to inform him he's been fired.

Del Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 01:48 AM
oilinblood

Quote:
They were talking to Eakins about being an assistant because when Renney was fired Krueger was promoted to his job and nobody was ever hired to fill the position he vacated. If the organization ever thought there was a competence issue with Buchberger and Smith they would have let them go with Krueger last off season. Instead they kept them and then added Acton to complete the four man staff they had been going with for years. The seasons been over for almost a month. I think if they were making any changes with the assistants they'd have done it by now. They may not have hired new ones yet but they would have let go the people they weren't keeping and given them a head start on finding other employment. This reminds me of last summer when everybody thought the assistants would be turfed after Eakins was hired and the Oilers waited forever to announce both of them were coming back, seemingly hoping the anger would die down and everybody would forget about it.
I agree with the timing situation. Common sense tells me that this coaching staff, other than Eakins, simply can not survive...but yet we are into the second round of the playoffs and no announcement.
My hope is that the oilers are watching coaching options and dont care about giving their assistants time to market themselves. I mean, frankly you will be paying them when you turf them anyways, since they get their contracts in full unless employed elsewhere which wont happen.

oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 02:09 AM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

vCash: 738
There is no greater pool of coaching free agents out there right now:

Barry Trotz (who would turn Marincin into a defense god)
John Torteralla (who would not take **** from this prima donna group)

But no, we will stick with Eakins to save face and money.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 03:43 AM
Petes2424

Quote:

I think they're keeping him to try and have some stability. The problem is, they made a bad choice to begin with and it's bound to snowball into a December firing and another season of question marks.

Eakins is a meat and potatoes coach and he can't adapt. He communicates well with guys like himself. The Hendricks, the Ranger and the Fraser's of the world. He has trouble with the spoon fed bunch. Problem is the Oilers most important players are those type. Hockey is so much different today than it was when every player would've run through a wall just to have that chance. It is what it is. I don't think he can change.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 08:35 PM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
So the value of a coach is more or less same as a 4th liner, or a 3rd liner if he is experienced.

I didn't know their salary levels were in that range and I think it is a bit strange.

Capello (one of the most highly thought of soccer coaches in the world) always requested 10% more salary than the best paid player on his team. According to him it is about recognizing the importance of the team of players and not the individuals which would be implied if single players are paid more than the person leading them. Also had to do with recognizing seniority and hierarchy in the organization

A hockey player sacrifices his entire future working career, in some cases nagging injuries and concussions will never allow him to work at all again his entire life. A coach, well he doesnt have much risk, save a flying puck. Considering the risk, the coach is worth more.

Steve BachIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote