HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kessel

Old
05-02-2014, 12:16 PM
HarrisonFord
Lost a bet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I love Leaf fans

Yes, the Isles think Okposo, a former 7th overall pick has developed, but according to Leaf fans his 69 pts, strong defensive play and board work are flashes in the pan and the isles should package some of their top prospects, for fellow RW Kessel

Classic. Like the recent Reimer as the key to a LI deal, this Kessel to LI thread is classic
yeah Okposo definitely isnt playing with one of the best players in the game...

HarrisonFord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 12:17 PM
Stephen

Quote:
I love Leaf fans

Yes, the Isles think Okposo, a former 7th overall pick has developed, but according to Leaf fans his 69 pts, strong defensive play and board work are flashes in the pan and the isles should package some of their top prospects, for fellow RW Kessel

Classic. Like the recent Reimer as the key to a LI deal, this Kessel to LI thread is classic
They're from the same draft and Kessel has been a far superior player for the entirety of their careers.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 12:22 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonFord View Post
yeah Okposo definitely isnt playing with one of the best players in the game...
On these boards is a thread about Okposo. He scored in games that Tavares missed. Hell, he scored after JT was injured and Vanek traded.

Last year he was the key player on the Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo 2nd line, that dragged the isles into the playoffs.He's been in beast mode since March 2013.

There were debates on a couple NYI boards this season, about whether Okposo with his combination of scoring/defense/aggressive board work was the isles best player and not Tavares.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 12:25 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
They're from the same draft and Kessel has been a far superior player for the entirety of their careers.
I don't care about pre-2012-2013. I doubt the isles do. Since March 2013, Okposo has been arguably the isles best player.

Leaf fans want to think he's a flash in the pan and the isles are going to package several top prospects for Kessel

Old
05-02-2014, 12:44 PM
416Leafer

Quote:
I don't care about pre-2012-2013. I doubt the isles do. Since March 2013, Okposo has been arguably the isles best player.

Leaf fans want to think he's a flash in the pan and the isles are going to package several top prospects for Kessel
Actually I don't think a single Leaf fan in this thread has suggested that the Islanders would trade "several top prospects" for Kessel.

Seems like you're just kinda having some random indignant rant about Okposo, who you were the first to bring up by the way, and then arguing with yourself when it comes to this hypothetical Kessel trade that nobody proposed.

All that was said was that the Islanders would likely be a team that would have interest.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 12:50 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Actually I don't think a single Leaf fan in this thread has suggested that the Islanders would trade "several top prospects" for Kessel.

Seems like you're just kinda having some random indignant rant about Okposo, who you were the first to bring up by the way, and then arguing with yourself when it comes to this hypothetical Kessel trade that nobody proposed.

All that was said was that the Islanders would likely be a team that would have interest.
It was a Leaf fan who posted in one of the earliest posts, that he could see the isles trading for Kessel.

Kessel is the Leafs best player. What do you think they would want back except top young nhlers or top prospects?

Several days ago Snow and Weight spoke at a fan event. Snow told fans he had was close to a goalie trade earlier this season, but backed off when the other gm came back and demanded B. Nelson. That comment supports the reports from Freidman+Staple, that Snow refuses to put his top prospects on the trade table.

Leaf fans dismiss Okposo's 69 pts in 71 games and his physical play. Isles won't. They think they have JT's RW and won't give the Leafs what the Leafs would demand, even if they could get past that salary.

Old
05-02-2014, 01:11 PM
HarrisonFord
Lost a bet

Quote:
On these boards is a thread about Okposo. He scored in games that Tavares missed. Hell, he scored after JT was injured and Vanek traded.

Last year he was the key player on the Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo 2nd line, that dragged the isles into the playoffs.He's been in beast mode since March 2013.

There were debates on a couple NYI boards this season, about whether Okposo with his combination of scoring/defense/aggressive board work was the isles best player and not Tavares.
I don't think that this statement helps your credibility here...

HarrisonFord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 01:18 PM
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats

vCash: 159
I <3 Kessel, but Jones + 11th overall would make too much sense for the Leafs to turn down at this point IMO.

Berner, Rielly, Jones + Ehlers/Nylander at 8th, then maybe a guy like Barbashev or Fiala at 11th would be the start of a pretty decent-looking rebuild, heading into a strong draft next year, and Kessel would be the best offensive weapon in the history of the Preds franchise, if I'm not forgetting about anybody. Well, Forsberg, but that was a bit different.

Last edited by Kyle Doobas: 05-02-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Kyle Doobas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 01:19 PM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Esquandolas View Post
I <3 Kessel, but Jones + 11th overall would make too much sense for the Leafs to turn down at this point IMO.
^ Yup.

We can finally start building from the net out, like Burke promised us 6 years ago..(then went ahead and traded for Kessel)

Hennig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 01:25 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonFord View Post
I don't think that this statement helps your credibility here...
And yet, those posts are on HF and Mania, giving an indication of how many NYI fans view Okposo as a budding young star

Leaf fans seem determined to ignore, that it takes two teams to trade and the isles are very happy with their first line RW. We'll take a few less points, when the trade off is stronger defense and aggressive board work.

Old
05-02-2014, 01:28 PM
Diatomic
~~~ NAZEM KADRI ~~~

Quote:
I love Leaf fans

okay buddy whatever you say

Diatomic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 01:36 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:

Berner, Rielly, Jones + Ehlers/Nylander at 8th, then maybe a guy like Barbashev or Fiala at 11th would be the start of a pretty decent-looking rebuild, heading into a strong draft next year, and Kessel would be the best offensive weapon in the history of the Preds franchise, if I'm not forgetting about anybody. Well, Forsberg, but that was a bit different.
Kessel is a great player to have and I wouldn't be interested in trading him for anything short of overpayment but if its a culture change that management wants (building from the net out instead of the wings) then a trade invloving Seth Jones at least makes some sense. Fans in Toronto would have to be prepared to live with a couple more bottom-5 finishes though, as a lot of the offence goes through Kessel.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 01:39 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diatomic View Post
okay buddy whatever you say
Yeah, cause if a fan is not interested in paying a huge price for Kessel and thinks Okposo's develop is not a flash in the pan, that loony

Old
05-02-2014, 01:52 PM
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

vCash: 543
Quote:
And yet, those posts are on HF and Mania, giving an indication of how many NYI fans view Okposo as a budding young star

Leaf fans seem determined to ignore, that it takes two teams to trade and the isles are very happy with their first line RW. We'll take a few less points, when the trade off is stronger defense and aggressive board work.
Umm there is a bit more of a trade off. You're forgetting that you're getting a player that has been top 10 in scoring for the past few years with litte help. A player that can carry a top line against the top defenders and makes the players he plays with have career years for the past 4 years.

Despite your views of how important Okposo is to the islanders lineup, most would agree Kessel would have a bigger (positive) impact on the islanders lineup than Okposo.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 01:54 PM
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats

vCash: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Kessel is a great player to have and I wouldn't be interested in trading him for anything short of overpayment but if its a culture change that management wants (building from the net out instead of the wings) then a trade invloving Seth Jones at least makes some sense. Fans in Toronto would have to be prepared to live with a couple more bottom-5 finishes though, as a lot of the offence goes through Kessel.
The offense goes almost entirely through Kessel. He was 6th in the league in goals and points. The Leafs next top scorer? JVR, 39th in scoring with 61 points. Many of which came off of filthy passes from Kessel (not to discredit JVR, who was still very good).

If we lost PK and didn't tighten up defensively to some miraculous extent, we'd be almost certainly looking at a bottom five finish next season. Which, if we're rebuilding, might not be the worst thing in the world, with it projected to be such a strong draft and all.

Kyle Doobas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 01:56 PM
frantiq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymoondo View Post
It seems that the Leafs are in a rebuilding stage again. Is there any team that would be willing to move futures for Kessel? Please no flaming
says who?

frantiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 02:00 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
Umm there is a bit more of a trade off. You're forgetting that you're getting a player that has been top 10 in scoring for the past few years with litte help. A player that can carry a top line against the top defenders and makes the players he plays with have career years for the past 4 years.

Despite your views of how important Okposo is to the islanders lineup, most would agree Kessel would have a bigger (positive) impact on the islanders lineup than Okposo.
JT and Okposo were both on pace for ppg seasons/ career highs before injuries shelved their seasons. Isles are fine with JT as the #1 center and Okposo as the #1 rw.
Staple reported they make a run at Cammy for LW on that line. Another option is to let the kids battle it out in training camp for that spot.

kessel is a luxury item. No interest in paying the high cost to acquire him. Spend assets and salary on upgrading the defense and goaltending.

Old
05-02-2014, 02:02 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
The Vanek trade indicates the Islanders are in fact looking for a top scoring winger. Not to mention Okposo had 24 pts in 48 games last season, and 45 in 79 the season before. Players have career years that they cant repeat, Kessel has been playing at the same PPG level for 3 seasons now, and thats without Tavares as a linemate.

I doubt Bozak ever puts up the PPG he put up this season (49 pts in 58 games) or Lupul ever puts up the numbers he put up two years ago (67 pts in 66 games). Similarly i doubt Okposo maintains this PPG consistently throughout his career.

Kessel and Okposo are both RW? Who cares, one can play on their off-wing or help solidify the 2nd line.
The Vanek trade indicates that the Isles were looking for a top winger LAST SUMMER. Since then, Okposo has emerged, they've brought in an absolute landslide of young talent (Nelson, Lee, and Strome).

Sorry, but it is just a Leaf fan fantasy, and typical of the obsession that you guys have with the Island, to think that you're getting a package of young assets from NY for Kessel.

In reality, if Kessel was on the market, I don't think the Isles would have a shred of interest. Basically, about as much interest as they had in McCabe, Liles, Komisarek, and all the other players you guys obsessed about trading to the Island.

This "Kessel to NY" stuff shows up every few days here, and its just as old and tired as the earlier tedious threads.

That doesn't even begin to touch on the reality that Kessel has a 8 year deal and NMC.

I also think that the "tear it all down" mentality among some Leaf fans following the failure at the end of the season is silly. I look at Toronto, I see some great youth, some top line forwards, Phaneuf and Reilly on defense, and solid netminding. Add one or two pieces, and Toronto is back to the playoffs next season.

I hope you do trade Kessel for that reason, in fact.

Last edited by Darth Milbury: 05-02-2014 at 02:22 PM.
Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 02:02 PM
lebdafor norris
sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
Yes please!
Kessel + B level prospect for Jones + 11th or
Kessel + Lupul + 4th for Jones + 11th + Wilson.

lebdafor norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 02:03 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post

Irrelevant. Okposo is an Islander, he has meshed well with Tavares, and is on an excellent contract. Isles aren't in the market for a replacement.

Nobody cares if Kessel is more offensively gifted than Okposo. Isles management (and the fans) are absolutely thrilled with Okposo and have zero interest in replacing him.

Last edited by Darth Milbury: 05-02-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old
05-02-2014, 02:07 PM
Optimus Reim
Leafs and Bolts fan

vCash: 850
Now I have heard everything. Isles trying to claim Okpo > Kessel. It really isn't close at all.

Optimus Reim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 02:14 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Reim View Post
Now I have heard everything. Isles trying to claim Okpo > Kessel. It really isn't close at all.
Stop. NO one in this thread said Okposo> Kessel.

1.I said the isles think Okposo, taken 7th overall, has developed and they have JT's #1 RW. 69 pts in 71 games. Until Injuries shelved them, JT+Okposo were on pace for ppg seasons/career highs.

2. Isles will take less points from Okposo, when the trade off is stronger defense and aggressive board work.

3.Credible press sources, are saying Snow is refusing to put his top prospects on the trade table.

4. Snow and Weight spoke to fans at a team event just days ago. Snow is quoted, saying he had a goalie trade on the table this season, thought it was close until the other gm came back and demanded Brock Nelson. That ended those trade talks.

Old
05-02-2014, 02:15 PM
jboknows

Quote:

I'd love a return of Jones and Forsberg (instead of the 11th this year). Not sure the value Nashville has for him, but that return would make me ecstatic.

jboknows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 02:15 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Reim View Post
Who is "Okpo"?

When did "Isles" try to claim any player was better than Kessel?

When did anybody claim that any player was "better" then Kessel?

Islander fans and management are thrilled with Okposo and we believe that he'll be the Trottier to Tavares' Bossy for years to come. What the heck does that have to do with Kessel?

Old
05-02-2014, 02:34 PM
Bob Loblawbrovsky
Asthma got me swole

I would not be against trading him for a package around Jones. I would however be against reading anymore of this Okposo vs. Kessel debate.

Bob Loblawbrovsky is offline   Reply With Quote