HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexei Emelin isn't getting enough credit.

Old
05-02-2014, 01:37 PM
gusfring

vCash: 500
He was not good last night.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 01:38 PM
Philantropic Subban
PK for Norris

This guy's a stud and I'm glad MB locked him up for some quality UFA years.

Very efficent all-around D. I wish he had a better release for 2nd PP point shot, he seems to have it but rarely triggers it.

That said we can all apreciate his toughness and mind game against a team like Boston. He must not understand half of what Bruins players tell him on the ice and that must be so frustrating playing against a Russian like that. Like you tell him 'your mother blablah' and the guy just ignores it completely. They can't get under his skin. And in the corners he just keeps hitting hard and even harder on guys like Lucic. Lovin' it.

Philantropic Subban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 01:45 PM
Shutdown

Another thing people forget is Emelin has to compensate for Markov's lack of mobility, and he's on his off-side.
Last night for example, off a defensive zone faceoff, Markov was closer to the puck, and it was on his side but Emelin is the one who can get there first because he's more agile.
He clears it off the boards on his strong side, it gets blocked and he has to go back and cover on his side which is his weak side and block the shot for the open man.
Meanwhile Markov has moved 3 feet this entire time, Emelin has covered half your D zone in a span of 3 seconds.

Sometimes playing with Markov makes you life a whole lot easier, sometimes not. At least the current edition of Markov.

Shutdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 02:02 PM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Emelin was pretty awful last night...
Typical Emelin always both good and bad in the same game.
i haven't seen him play a great consistent game (all aspects) since his injury.
Sure he makes some great plays at times but he is no where near the player he once was.

Rapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 02:08 PM
Smokey Thompson

Pretty polarizing performance. He made some great plays defensively and had some pretty big hits on Lucic. But he also had multiple horrible giveaways and was caught flat footed quite a few times as well.

I'd yell at him for half of his shifts and praise him for the other half last night. Eventually he'll calm down with the brutal turnovers and hopefully he can improve his positioning and decision making.

He has another 4 years to improve lol

Smokey Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 02:10 PM
Burke the Legend

Gutsy game last night, played well overall, but the bad thing people may have noticed was about 2-3 soft clears he made which failed to get over line, and resulted in some heavy Boston pressure. He wasn't the only Hab guilty of this, but he was.

Personally I think more defenders should be using that lob clear that PK loves. As a dman myself, I can attest that it is VERY difficult to defend against the lob. It's hard to track (the forwards coming at you track it better), and the knuckle aspect makes it easy to mishandle, both if you try and catch it, or play on the ice, and you lose all your speed doing it so if the forward coming in gets the puck after you bobble it, you can't catch him.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 02:28 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
Gutsy game last night, played well overall, but the bad thing people may have noticed was about 2-3 soft clears he made which failed to get over line, and resulted in some heavy Boston pressure. He wasn't the only Hab guilty of this, but he was.

Personally I think more defenders should be using that lob clear that PK loves. As a dman myself, I can attest that it is VERY difficult to defend against the lob. It's hard to track (the forwards coming at you track it better), and the knuckle aspect makes it easy to mishandle, both if you try and catch it, or play on the ice, and you lose all your speed doing it so if the forward coming in gets the puck after you bobble it, you can't catch him.
Agree, it's a very effective strategy, especially with speedy wingers.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 02:30 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky Thompson View Post
Pretty polarizing performance. He made some great plays defensively and had some pretty big hits on Lucic. But he also had multiple horrible giveaways and was caught flat footed quite a few times as well.

I'd yell at him for half of his shifts and praise him for the other half last night. Eventually he'll calm down with the brutal turnovers and hopefully he can improve his positioning and decision making.

He has another 4 years to improve lol
Agreed, some good and some bad.

Team as a whole was bad defensively last night though. Most of it is probably rust. Also Boston's defense is a lot more offensive than TB. They used to have a very "stay at home" based group but now with Hamilton and Krug they are a more offensive group. You can exploit them offensively but you have to account for them in the defensive zone.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 02:32 PM
Burke the Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Agree, it's a very effective strategy, especially with speedy wingers.
Yeah wingers love it too, the chance to chase it down and catch the D flatfooted, maybe nail the Dman, or get a 2v1 or breakaway if successful, Much better than having to glove down a slap clear with your hand, or sit around waiting for a possible suicide pass.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 03:08 PM
Habbadasher

Isn't he playing on the wrong side and he has trouble with his pivots? He is taking one for the team to balance the top 4.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 03:09 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Worst d-man in habs uniform since a couple of games.

Beside from hitting, he doesn't do anything else...

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 04:03 PM
hockeyfan2k11

I'm convinced a large group of people don't watch games here. After a win, everybody is good. Emelin looked bad along with Markov. Emelin needs to improve because he's not a legit top 4 dman. Markov needs to improve as well.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 04:07 PM
Bargainbin4Pres

That Reilly Smith goal was all on Emelin.

He didn't even try to move the Boston player who obstructed the goalie's view. A showcase on how to be a complete pylon.

Bargainbin4Pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 04:50 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

He been asked to do a little more than he should. Eventually, the plan should be to bring him to his natural side.

I knew this season was going to be tough for him right after he ripped his knee apart.

Thankfully, he's not playing as poorly as he was when he came back in the line up, and he will be better next year with a training camp under his belt.

I believe he is a passable 4th dman, but he should be on his natural side.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 05:09 PM
LeMAD

Emelin is playing by far his best hockey with the Habs since a month or two.

Imo all our dmen are playing awesome hockey right now, after a pretty weak season for a few of them.

It's the offense who had a lot of problems last night.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 05:17 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

His pairing was bad yesterday. Emelin made some desperation blocks but overall, he was under average. Markov was awful.

Hopefully they were just rusty.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 05:30 PM
Teufelsdreck

The most important thing is that he was a lot better than Bartkowski.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 05:42 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

I think he has to do a lot of covering for Markov and makes the odd bad decision with the puck.

I'm convinced if he had a more mobile partner he'd be a lot better. I almost think he'd be better paired with PK. He gets to play on his natural side and Gorges is more than equipped to save Markov's bacon.

I'm hoping one day that the Emelin & Markov duo turns out to be viewed by MT as Gio & Pleks where they seemingly are good together but are most likely better when playing apart.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 09:34 PM
Lemons

Playing pretty good tonight. Shutdown lucic line completely.

Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 10:25 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
I just can't get over how bad he is at pivoting and skating backwards. These are essential to being a defenceman in the NHL.

Otherwise, he's been good.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 10:29 PM
Nedved

it seems when he makes a mistake, about 3 guys make a mistake and the other team gets a chance.

i expected more from markov tonight, was pretty disappointed in his play. that said, he's never had the privilege of having subban and gorges guys on another pairing.

i hope he settles down, because subban and gorges have been absolute studs...

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 10:30 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Good game tonight. No complaints.

As for Markov.. I wasn't happy nor mad at his game. I turned to dad on our PP and said jeeze, I think I only heard Markov's name about twice tonight. Means he did nothing great, but we were winning and he obviously hadn't screwed up too huge.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 07:03 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
He has got Lucic so pre-occupied and off his game its great.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 07:20 PM
Des Louise
Dale Weise it !

I think he's a decent top 4 guy. Not amazing but he brings a bit of everything to the table. I don't think he's hit his ceiling yet.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 07:30 PM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Man Rock Band View Post
Good game tonight. No complaints.

As for Markov.. I wasn't happy nor mad at his game. I turned to dad on our PP and said jeeze, I think I only heard Markov's name about twice tonight. Means he did nothing great, but we were winning and he obviously hadn't screwed up too huge.
Emelin is an enigma.
It's like his timing gets thrown off on occasion and bad things start happening.
Not sure if its the wrong side thing or not.
I usually start worrying when his checks aren't on point. (not catching players flush)
Once that happens he seems to start fumbling with puck. Markov always seems to catch the same bug at that point.
Then he can be totally on, punishing hits, crisp passes,and puck movement.
This is all in the same game mind you and often on consecutive shifts?

Rapala is offline   Reply With Quote