HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Goalie prospect to the Leafs

Old
05-09-2014, 11:50 AM
Srsly

vCash: 500
Goalie prospect to the Leafs

A lot of people think the Leafs are set for goaltending with Bernier between the pipes. He's yet to put up a full season and it's becoming more and more clear than Reimer is the type of goaltender who does not excel in a backup role. While it Reimer still has a chance of picking up a starter position elsewhere the league, his future with the Leafs is cloudy at best.

Outside of our two NHL net minders, we're embarrassingly thin when it comes to future goaltending and I believe we definitely need to address our shortcomings.

Srsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 12:04 PM
TheyCallMeKato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srsly View Post
A lot of people think the Leafs are set for goaltending with Bernier between the pipes. He's yet to put up a full season and it's becoming more and more clear than Reimer is the type of goaltender who does not excel in a backup role. While it Reimer still has a chance of picking up a starter position elsewhere the league, his future with the Leafs is cloudy at best.

Outside of our two NHL net minders, we're embarrassingly thin when it comes to future goaltending and I believe we definitely need to address our shortcomings.
Gibson and Sparks are both promising and with MacIntyre getting a taste of the NHL life I don't think its that desperate. But it does need to be addressed at some point. But with Bernier's play its hard to want to rush anything. he Played 55 games which isn't too low for a starting goalie.

TheyCallMeKato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 01:46 PM
Mile High Madness

From what it sounds like, Gardiner is on his way out. Would you accept Atokallio or Pickard from Colorado in exchange for his rights? He is an RFA, yes?

Mile High Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 02:11 PM
DougGilmour93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Madness View Post
From what it sounds like, Gardiner is on his way out. Would you accept Atokallio or Pickard from Colorado in exchange for his rights? He is an RFA, yes?
How about we do both ourselves a favour? O'Reilly's rights for Gardiner's rights. Deal?

DougGilmour93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 02:15 PM
Mile High Madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
How about we do both ourselves a favour? O'Reilly's rights for Gardiner's rights. Deal?
The difference there being that O'Rielly is likely to re-sign, whereas due to the Carlyle re-signing, Gardiner is not. No deal.

Old
05-09-2014, 02:16 PM
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!

vCash: 50
Pickard will probably end up on the market.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 02:17 PM
Kelly
It was 4-1.

vCash: 137
Send a message via ICQ to Kelly
Quote:
The difference there being that O'Rielly is likely to re-sign, whereas due to the Carlyle re-signing, Gardiner is not. No deal.
If that's the case (which it likely isn't) we'll qualify him and let him sit on his ass the whole year.

Kelly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 02:21 PM
Cousin Eddie
*****er's Full

vCash: 177
Pickard + 2nd for Gardiner?

Cousin Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 02:26 PM
Tml1489

I agree but disagree. I think Leafs have finally found their number 1 goalie. I was a bernier guy 2 years back before they traded for him and was incredibly happen when we traded for him. His numbers last year were pretty decent considering he was getting on average 40-50 shots a night

GP-55 GAA-2.70 (I hope this drops a little bit) SV%.922

Ill take any goalie prospect if we can get them at a decent price. But we finally have a good young goalie who is ready for the full time job. I'd be more concentrated on putting a vet behind him that can play 20-25 games where needed. That was the biggest mistake that the leafs didnt do with Reimer. They got rid of Gigs when they could have signed him for cheap and kept him behind Reimer. This time I hope they do it right.

My preferred picks for this:
Brodeur, Martin - UFA (Doubtful but I can dream lol)
Nabokov, Evgeni - UFA (I really think this guy is a possibility, short cheap contract and played 40 games last year)
Vokoun, Tomas - UFA (Depends on injury, whether he'll return or not)
Emery, Ray- UFA (again, can probably get him at a decent price and can definitely play 25 games + if needed)

Tml1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 02:31 PM
TOGuy14

We have a great looking 25 year old stud in Bernier.

We are not burning NHL contributing assets because the Marlies don't have high end goalies. Be real people, we aren't moving Gardiner in any deal for a fourth string goalie.

TOGuy14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 02:34 PM
Mile High Madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennig View Post
If that's the case (which it likely isn't) we'll qualify him and let him sit on his ass the whole year.
I'm not saying that Gardiner wouldn't be willing to re-sign, what I'm insinuating is that due to Carlyle re-signing, the team is shopping Kadri and Gardiner (per Darren Dreger), because, due to play style or personal reasons, they don't seem to mesh well. As such, why would it not be more advantageous for the leafs to trade his rights for something they need (under-contact goaltending depth/prospects according to OP), as opposed to qualifying/signing him and letting him watch from the stands all season long?

Old
05-09-2014, 02:36 PM
Srsly

I was thinking more of a prospect for prospect or lesser piece for prospect type deal. Maybe try to get something for Kulemin's rights if we're unlikely to sign him.

I hold strong that we need goalie prospects in the system but I can't see us parting with piece like Gardiner to do so.

Pickard is tempting and would instantly be our best goaltending prospect.

Bernier is amazing but I hate the idea of putting all of our fish in one basket.

Srsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 02:36 PM
ForeverFlameFan
Go Flames Go!

vCash: 50
Go for Demko in the 2nd round.

ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 02:39 PM
Kelly
It was 4-1.

vCash: 137
Send a message via ICQ to Kelly
Quote:
I'm not saying that Gardiner wouldn't be willing to re-sign, what I'm insinuating is that due to Carlyle re-signing, the team is shopping Kadri and Gardiner (per Darren Dreger), because, due to play style or personal reasons, they don't seem to mesh well. As such, why would it not be more advantageous for the leafs to trade his rights for something they need (under-contact goaltending depth/prospects according to OP), as opposed to qualifying/signing him and letting him watch from the stands all season long?
Goaltending prospects is like fifth or sixth on the long depth chart of Toronto Maple Leafs needs -- Besides, the animosity between Carlyle and Gardiner is overblown, Gardiner was playing ~23mins+ a night at the end of the season and was leading ALL of our players in scoring throughout our **** slide. It's really not a trade that would interest me personally, and I hope Leafs management as well (although who knows what the **** they're thinking).

Kelly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 02:53 PM
HaleyDestroyedNurse
Go Sharks!

vCash: 615
2 Words. Thatcher Demko

HaleyDestroyedNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 05:04 PM
OwenFully

Quote:
That's a brutal deal for the Leafs lol

OwenFully is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 05:05 PM
OwenFully

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Go for Demko in the 2nd round.
No 2nd rounder

OwenFully is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 05:07 PM
Leafidelity
Mad? Just a game

vCash: 1775
Antoine Bibeau has been coming along well. Between he, Sparks and Gibson the Leafs are fine in goalie prospects.

Last edited by Leafidelity: 05-10-2014 at 08:52 AM.
Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote