HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Cal - LA

Old
05-09-2014, 04:31 AM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontgoZiggy View Post
What pieces do you fans feel will be moved out during your reshuffle?
IMO Hudler, Wideman, Butler, David Jones, Galiardi, and maybe Stajan.

Nothing overwhelming. Hudler is probably the best piece there; he might get a 1st at the deadline, depending on the market. But even if we could stock up on mid-round picks for the other guys, I'd be fine with that. We could probably get 2nd round picks outta Butler and Stajan.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 08:25 AM
Mr Lebowski
Go Flames

vCash: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetThePuckOut View Post

Nothing overwhelming. Hudler is probably the best piece there; he might get a 1st at the deadline, depending on the market. But even if we could stock up on mid-round picks for the other guys, I'd be fine with that. We could probably get 2nd round picks outta Butler and Stajan.
Soubt Stajan because he was just re-signed

Mr Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 11:31 AM
ForeverFlameFan
Go Flames Go!

Quote:

Don't think Hudler is moving.

Butler is a UFA, he won't fetch a 2nd if we are going to just trade his rights.

D. Jones is staying to hit the cap. He had a bad year, give him another chance.

TJ could possibly be tendered, not sure on him.

Stajan is resigned for another 4 years. He's probably going to be our solid 3rd liner.

ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 03:16 PM
Kingspiracy

vCash: 500
Quote:

I don't know if those guys hold much interest for the kings (there should be plenty of other teams willing to pony up mind you). How about Smid, is he part of the long term in Calgary?

Kingspiracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 03:21 PM
Method Man
Bring the Pain

Quote:
I don't know if those guys hold much interest for the kings (there should be plenty of other teams willing to pony up mind you). How about Smid, is he part of the long term in Calgary?
long term, it's hard to say. But I think he is definitely someone the teams wants around to mentor the youth. I'd say Smid, Stajan and Giordano are the most important in that regard.

Method Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 03:27 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 107
Quote:
Long term, not sure but short term I don't see them trading him. We dont have anyone in the system to fill his shoes.

05-09-2014, 03:32 PM
ForeverFlameFan
Go Flames Go!

Trade Butler's rights to the Kings for a conditional 4th.

Old
05-09-2014, 03:42 PM
Kingspiracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Trade Butler's rights to the Kings for a conditional 4th.
I don't think Butler is the calibre of player that i'd trade for his negotiating rights, there are other similar/better ufa options.

Old
05-09-2014, 03:57 PM
ForeverFlameFan
Go Flames Go!

Quote:
I don't think Butler is the calibre of player that i'd trade for his negotiating rights, there are other similar/better ufa options.
Probably one of the best 5/6 defenseman you can have on the team. The reason we are most likely not wanting him back is because there are so many 5/6 defenseman that we already have. Our problem is needing another top 4 defenseman.

His best aspect is blocking shots. He needs to be on a team that could actually make the playoffs.

How much for M. Greene's rights?

Old
05-09-2014, 04:11 PM
Kingspiracy

Quote:
Probably one of the best 5/6 defenseman you can have on the team. The reason we are most likely not wanting him back is because there are so many 5/6 defenseman that we already have. Our problem is needing another top 4 defenseman.

His best aspect is blocking shots. He needs to be on a team that could actually make the playoffs.

How much for M. Greene's rights?
Im not certain that Greene moves on, If he takes a pay cut and can get healthy the Kings would probably re sign him, same with Mitchell if he plays another year.
Having said that it wouldn't surprise me to see some team throw 4mill for 3+ years(which we couldn't match) just for his leadership and snarl. He would be a great pick up for calgary or any rebuilding team. I don't know if trading for players ufa right is worth anything much. Matt Greene will end up signing where it suits him, whether thats for the best money and term or on a contender is up to him.

Old
05-09-2014, 04:28 PM
ForeverFlameFan
Go Flames Go!

Quote:
Im not certain that Greene moves on, If he takes a pay cut and can get healthy the Kings would probably re sign him, same with Mitchell if he plays another year.
Having said that it wouldn't surprise me to see some team throw 4mill for 3+ years(which we couldn't match) just for his leadership and snarl. He would be a great pick up for calgary or any rebuilding team. I don't know if trading for players ufa right is worth anything much. Matt Greene will end up signing where it suits him, whether thats for the best money and term or on a contender is up to him.
We've got the cap to sign a 4m deal... Has he played top 4 minutes?

Old
05-09-2014, 04:35 PM
TheClassicK*

I'd keep my hands off Greene. He averaged 16 minutes this season which is quite underwhelming and he's been prone to injuries.

Looking back at his time at LA he looks like he hasn't been more than a 3rd-pairing D, and at 31 years of age I don't think he'll get any better.

TheClassicK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 04:37 PM
Kingspiracy

Quote:
We've got the cap to sign a 4m deal... Has he played top 4 minutes?
I'd sign him as a 3rd pairing unless you've got someone pretty mobile to pair him with. Greene is best at clearing the crease and adding snarl. He has had a rough year with injuries (he used to be bullet proof) which may have made him lose a step, but he probably hasn't played enough this year to settle in. He's an "A" and is well liked by his team mates, is a bit of a character. He would be an ideal pickup for Calgary.

Old
05-09-2014, 04:45 PM
Kingspiracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClassicK View Post
I'd keep my hands off Greene. He averaged 16 minutes this season which is quite underwhelming and he's been prone to injuries.

Looking back at his time at LA he looks like he hasn't been more than a 3rd-pairing D, and at 31 years of age I don't think he'll get any better.
I don't know if you're looking at him right. Our right side has Doughty and Voynov locked in. Greene is a great role model/ leader, knows what it takes to win, and has played in and played well in some very important games for our franchise. Is he worth 4mill on a contender, no, but on a rebuilding team he is the type of player that is a must.

Old
05-09-2014, 04:49 PM
Method Man
Bring the Pain

Quote:
I don't know if you're looking at him right. Our right side has Doughty and Voynov locked in. Greene is a great role model/ leader, knows what it takes to win, and has played in and played well in some very important games for our franchise. Is he worth 4mill on a contender, no, but on a rebuilding team he is the type of player that is a must.
I agree completely. I think he would be more valuable to the Flames than other teams. He is big, mean and right handed. He is exactly what the Flames management group wants.

Method Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 04:52 PM
TheClassicK*

Quote:
We have plenty of leaders on the team though. I think he's an excellent complementary player to playoff teams, but for our situation at the moment, it's all about getting better. Acquiring younger players and better players is what we should do, and those players need to have the necessary room to get better. We still can't overlook acquiring leadership, but that leadership would also have to come along with better on-ice abilities and potential.

Old
05-09-2014, 04:59 PM
ForeverFlameFan
Go Flames Go!

Quote:
I'd sign him as a 3rd pairing unless you've got someone pretty mobile to pair him with. Greene is best at clearing the crease and adding snarl. He has had a rough year with injuries (he used to be bullet proof) which may have made him lose a step, but he probably hasn't played enough this year to settle in. He's an "A" and is well liked by his team mates, is a bit of a character. He would be an ideal pickup for Calgary.
Probably could be a guy worth giving at least 3.5m x 3. We have Kris Russell who could play on his left side, Russell is very mobile.

Old
05-09-2014, 05:06 PM
Kingspiracy

Quote:
We have plenty of leaders on the team though. I think he's an excellent complementary player to playoff teams, but for our situation at the moment, it's all about getting better. Acquiring younger players and better players is what we should do, and those players need to have the necessary room to get better. We still can't overlook acquiring leadership, but that leadership would also have to come along with better on-ice abilities and potential.
You obviously know your team better than I do. I would just advise caution with just focusing on getting younger and "better". Your young players need to be brought in the right way and developed properly. We went through this four or five years ago. Lombardi preached role models and bridge players to us LA fans, and he was right. You have to have the right culture/ work ethic / attitude or its just a waste of young talent. Lombardi made sure we had players to teach the youth the right way to play the game, and also not rush them into playing too soon. I'm not trying to sell Matt Greene to you, but I do think players of his ilk are exactly what a rebuilding team need. Probably an underrated trade for the kings was moving Visnovsky to the oil for Stoll and Greene. We picked up two solid players (at the right time in their careers) that filled out our team and brought the right playing culture. Both have been great leaders for our organisation.

Old
05-09-2014, 05:12 PM
Kingspiracy

Quote:
Probably could be a guy worth giving at least 3.5m x 3. We have Kris Russell who could play on his left side, Russell is very mobile.
I'd say it would be worth a shot, assuming Greene can get healthy.

Old
05-09-2014, 05:30 PM
TheClassicK*

Quote:
You obviously know your team better than I do. I would just advise caution with just focusing on getting younger and "better". Your young players need to be brought in the right way and developed properly. We went through this four or five years ago. Lombardi preached role models and bridge players to us LA fans, and he was right. You have to have the right culture/ work ethic / attitude or its just a waste of young talent. Lombardi made sure we had players to teach the youth the right way to play the game, and also not rush them into playing too soon. I'm not trying to sell Matt Greene to you, but I do think players of his ilk are exactly what a rebuilding team need. Probably an underrated trade for the kings was moving Visnovsky to the oil for Stoll and Greene. We picked up two solid players (at the right time in their careers) that filled out our team and brought the right playing culture. Both have been great leaders for our organisation.
I agree with everything you said.

It's just that I'm not sure if Greene would be able to perform at a better level with more responsibilities at a club like Calgary, because the main purpose of acquiring a player is so that he'll be the "better" replacement, right? And that's the way to "get better" as a team, I think.

No doubt about his leadership skills and his abilities to help incorporate a winning culture to any rebuilding teams though. I only wish he had a better record of staying healthy as the Flames themselves have to be more durable and not as prone to injuries. I think the Flames were 5th in most injured NHL teams, so durability has to be a key component in acquiring new players as well.

Old
05-09-2014, 05:50 PM
Kingspiracy

Quote:
I agree with everything you said.

It's just that I'm not sure if Greene would be able to perform at a better level with more responsibilities at a club like Calgary, because the main purpose of acquiring a player is so that he'll be the "better" replacement, right? And that's the way to "get better" as a team, I think.

No doubt about his leadership skills and his abilities to help incorporate a winning culture to any rebuilding teams though. I only wish he had a better record of staying healthy as the Flames themselves have to be more durable and not as prone to injuries. I think the Flames were 5th in most injured NHL teams, so durability has to be a key component in acquiring new players as well.
If Greene is healthy next year I believe he would be better than a lot of your current D core. I don't know if you can say that Greene is prone to injuries either, he was pretty durable with us until this last year or so and tough as nails. You'd want to check that his last injury (back I think) is something he would heal from obviously.

The Kings have been lucky in the past picking up guys coming off of injuries. We took a chance on Mitchell (concussion) and Williams (just about everything under the sun) Sometimes I guess if your team isn't that attractive of a destination you have to roll the dice(that was the Kings case at least)

Old
05-09-2014, 06:07 PM
TheClassicK*

Quote:
If Greene is healthy next year I believe he would be better than a lot of your current D core. I don't know if you can say that Greene is prone to injuries either, he was pretty durable with us until this last year or so and tough as nails. You'd want to check that his last injury (back I think) is something he would heal from obviously.

The Kings have been lucky in the past picking up guys coming off of injuries. We took a chance on Mitchell (concussion) and Williams (just about everything under the sun) Sometimes I guess if your team isn't that attractive of a destination you have to roll the dice(that was the Kings case at least)
Yeah, we'll have to be optimistic that Greene will be able to endure 82 games, although if everything you said is true, some better team will swoop him for $4M. I'm not sure if it's the type of players we have, or the style we play, it's just that we can't seem to avoid injuries to key players every season. I mean I guess that's one of the reasons why we're aiming to get bigger.