HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Boychuk to Ottawa?

Old
05-03-2014, 07:08 PM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

vCash: 605
Had a good sized post typed up, then my internet crashed

In short: I think both teams fans that have posted in this thread don't recognize the value of the other teams player, and both teams would be better off keeping what they have. The uncertainty around if Ottawa can get Hemsky signed to an extension makes Ottawa need to hold on to Stone for the other top six RW spot. The best Ottawa could probably offer in this situation is picks, but that doesn't make any sense from a Bruins standpoint (unless they absolutely needed to clear salary).

SixthSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 07:12 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthSens View Post
Had a good sized post typed up, then my internet crashed

In short: I think both teams fans that have posted in this thread don't recognize the value of the other teams player, and both teams would be better off keeping what they have. The uncertainty around if Ottawa can get Hemsky signed to an extension makes Ottawa need to hold on to Stone for the other top six RW spot. The best Ottawa could probably offer in this situation is picks, but that doesn't make any sense from a Bruins standpoint (unless they absolutely needed to clear salary).
Bruins likely wont need to clear salary until next season, at which point I'd trade Krug if I were them and try my best to retain Krejci, Boychuk and Soderberg, in order of priority.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 09:19 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Boychuk is a #3 dman that can compliment a top pairing dman. He's not a true #2.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 12:11 AM
NinthSpoke06

This thread is all kinds of ****ed up.

Ottawa you can't have Johnny Boychuk. He's not on the block. And apparently you can't appreciate him for his level of play either. That's fine.

Not sure why everyone things Boston is going to trade Boychuk. Plenty of other ways to clear cap.

NinthSpoke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 12:18 AM
wintersej

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinthSpoke06 View Post

Ottawa you can't have Johnny Boychuk. He's not on the block. And apparently you can't appreciate him for his level of play either. That's fine.

Not sure why everyone things Boston is going to trade Boychuk. Plenty of other ways to clear cap.
Bruins can manage the cap OK this coming year, but he might get Ferenced as a UFA the next year, so why not get some value. However, an Ott/Bos deal involving Boychuk is a bad match.

wintersej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 12:22 AM
glassbangers
"I home."

If Bruins decides to trade Boychuk, I hope they send him home to Edmonton.

glassbangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 01:37 AM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

Can Boychuk play well (as in good second pairing guy) on the left side? If so, then I would definitely trade him for Stone. My only concern would be his age and contract status. But as for sheer value, that would be a steal for my Sens.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 01:46 AM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
Can Boychuk play well (as in good second pairing guy) on the left side? If so, then I would definitely trade him for Stone. My only concern would be his age and contract status. But as for sheer value, that would be a steal for my Sens.
Boychuk is an RD. Thats the exact reason why this doesnt make sense for Ottawa. No clue why it would make sense for Boston either.

Old
05-04-2014, 02:21 AM
Gil Gunderson

Quote:

Not exactly. It just might bot be the best idea to acquire a 30 year old d-man who will be a UFA in a year for a promising young winger. Value isn't everything, and this isn't a knock on Boychuk.

Gil Gunderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 04:25 AM
Iceonfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
Boychuk is a D who can play top pairing minutes or anchor a 2nd pairing, he really comes up huge when the playoffs roll around, he is a great hitter, he has a very hard shot which seems to get 10 times more accurate in the playoffs, he is very good defensively, he has one year remaining on his contract and could reasonably ask for close to $6 million per season on his next deal.

His value to the Bruins is pretty high I think and no deal for 3rd liners, bottom pairing defenders or any goaltenders would be enough to get him.

I think the type of deal that they would move him in is for an underpaid right winger who is a 30 goal threat. I bet in the right deal the Bruins would add considerably to Boychuk if they were getting a player who is equal to Boychuk but on a cheaper contract.

I like the Sens but I just don't see a deal that would make the Bruins want to move Boychuk that would also get an OK from the Sens management. Boychuk is important to the team and if they move him there will be a significant piece coming back in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Benoit Bawls View Post
Just to let you know, not a single 30 goal scorer (besides Johansen on his ELC) are paid less than Boychuk. Only one slightly close is Kunitz. The only 20 goal scorers who are even close to your description are Kyle Turris, Clarke Macarthur, Joel Ward, Matt Read and Brad Boyes.
Why do people always forget about Perron. He makes 3.8mil which is cheap considering he scored 28 goals this year.

Not sure I would trade Perron for Boychuk though considering he is a local boy and may just sign here when his deal is up.

Iceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 05:55 AM
BruinLVGA

Quote:
Bruins likely wont need to clear salary until next season, at which point I'd trade Krug if I were them and try my best to retain Krejci, Boychuk and Soderberg, in order of priority.
Personally, I would get rid of Boychuk before Krug.

BruinLVGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 08:02 AM
SenateReform

Quote:

The only thing close to negative being said about Boychuk in this thread is that he wouldn't play with Karlsson on the top pairing.

He's a good player but the Sens can't give up their top young prospects like Stone, they're too valuable for a team with a small budget.

SenateReform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 11:12 AM
Lehnsanity

Quote:
Boychuk is a capable #2, sure, but he wouldnt play on our top pair. Thats all I've been saying, all along. As for Mark Stone, he's our only prospect with above 60 point potential imo. His hockey IQ is off the charts and he produces at every level. He was an above average player in 20 games for us this year. He's possibly the last prospect of ours that I'd want to trade. I think he's a better prospect than Lazar - although I havent seen too much of Lazar besides the WJC.
Sorry but that's just wrong.

Lehnsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 11:19 AM
Hemmer Time

I think a good trade for Boychuck would be Wiercioch + Prince + 4th. It might not look like a lot, but Wiercicoch was horribly misused by our coach and by the end of the year was playing like a top-4 d-man. He is lethal on the power play and excellent at moving the puck. Prince has upside to be top-six winger, and the 4th could be upgraded. However, we're trading for one year of Boychuck and he is 30(or 31) and impending UFA, his value is not expenonientally high.

Hemmer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 11:22 AM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehnsanity View Post
Sorry but that's just wrong.
No, its not wrong, because its an opinion. I think Lazar will be a 45-55 point 2 way beast and Stone will be a 60-70 point first line winger. I dont give a damn where others rate them, because its my opinion. And I'm guessing your opinion is more based off of others viewings than your own...

Old
05-04-2014, 11:34 AM
NinthSpoke06

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersej View Post
Bruins can manage the cap OK this coming year, but he might get Ferenced as a UFA the next year, so why not get some value. However, an Ott/Bos deal involving Boychuk is a bad match.
Because the Bruins are playing to win the Stanley Cup. We aren't trading a top pairing defensemen because he might leave.

Old
05-04-2014, 11:35 AM
NinthSpoke06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Gunderson View Post
Not exactly. It just might bot be the best idea to acquire a 30 year old d-man who will be a UFA in a year for a promising young winger. Value isn't everything, and this isn't a knock on Boychuk.
Not exactly. I guarantee you if Ottawa called the Bruins up after the playoffs and offered Mark Stone for Boychuk, Chiarelli would hang up immediately.

Old
05-04-2014, 11:39 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Well you can think that all you want, but theres no chance he plays top pairing over Karlsson. If Chara was a RD, Boychuk wouldnt play top pairing on Boston either. If Karlsson was an LD like Chara, Boychuk would definitely be on our top pairing.

But thats not the case, and teams dont work like that, so it's a moot point. Its not even an argument, its just how depth charts work. Pure and simple.
I understand what you are saying and I am not arguing that he would ever play over Karlsson, just that he is a little more than "only a second pairing option". Ideally he would anchor the 2nd pairing and get close to top pairing minutes because he would play a lot on the penalty kill and he has an extremely hard shot and could possibly see some powerplay time as well.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 12:35 PM
Gil Gunderson

Quote:
Not exactly. I guarantee you if Ottawa called the Bruins up after the playoffs and offered Mark Stone for Boychuk, Chiarelli would hang up immediately.
Yeah, because it wouldn't make sense for Boston, a team that is contending right now.

Gil Gunderson is online now   Reply With Quote