HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A defensive concern

Old
05-03-2014, 06:31 PM
shinchanyo

vCash: 500
I'm confused. When I said I blame shoddy D a good deal for us struggling in the 1st round true blue insinuated that I was laughably wrong. Then this thread gets made 24 hours later. Come on true you're killing me here!

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 08:52 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
Good thing I didnt say that, like at all.
Sorry, if I misterpreted this:

Quote:
It's definitely weird to complain about this when the Rangers have the 2nd beat GAA of any team in the playoffs, though.
Really, that is how I took it.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 08:54 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchanyo View Post
I'm confused. When I said I blame shoddy D a good deal for us struggling in the 1st round true blue insinuated that I was laughably wrong. Then this thread gets made 24 hours later. Come on true you're killing me here!
Nothing to be confused about. I did not blame a shoddy defense for the 1st round going 7 games. Nor did I call this defense a shoddy defense or insinuated that they have not been playing well. I pointed out a wart and a something that was concerning.

Old
05-04-2014, 09:03 AM
Raspewtin
MayDeathNeverStopYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Sorry, if I misterpreted this:

Just said it was weird, didnt call it wrong, or unwarranted. I didn't even refer to it as *****ing.

I dont think it's too much of a concern, though.

Thank you boys
Raspewtin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 09:04 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
I think you might be being a bit sensitive about it.

Every team has defensive breakdowns and the Rangers are playing really well defensively. It's not that you can't "complain" about it (not the word I'd use) but it's kind of odd since there are more pressing matters that this squad faces (Nash not scoring, injured Kreider, McD not being himself, an awful Power Play, and underperforming PK, etc...) and one thing that they are doing well (defending) is the thing you choose to opine about.

You can talk about whatever you want but I, personally, don't think this is the area of largest concern moving forward. This team (aside from the first 10 games) has been pretty solid throughout the season defensively.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 09:09 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Every team has defensive breakdowns and the Rangers are playing really well defensively. It's not that you can't "complain" about it (not the word I'd use) but it's kind of odd since there are more pressing matters that this squad faces (Nash not scoring, injured Kreider, McD not being himself, an awful Power Play, and underperforming PK, etc...) and one thing that they are doing well (defending) is the thing you choose to opine about.
There are other pressing matters. I am merely pointing outa flaw which can become more and more of a gaping hole as the playoffs progress.

Old
05-04-2014, 10:10 AM
ReggieDunlop68
Hey Hanrahan!

For the lord's sake! When will this team backup it's scoring prowess with a little D!

Someone needs to tell Sather this pie in the sky high scoring 80's Oilers thing he implemented for the Rangers is a recipe for disaster.

ReggieDunlop68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 10:13 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieDunlop68 View Post
For the lord's sake! When will this team backup it's scoring prowess with a little D!
This team has scoring prowers?

Old
05-04-2014, 10:15 AM
ReggieDunlop68
Hey Hanrahan!

Quote:
This team has scoring prowers?
No. It doesn't.

ReggieDunlop68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 08:29 AM
True Blue

Has separating the opposing forward from the puck become illegal?

Old
05-06-2014, 07:08 AM
Parker

What has happened to Ryan "Norris Discussion" McDonagh in the playoffs? He was a monster at the end of the regular season and an automatic choice for one of the 3 Rangers stars every single game.

Now the only time I notice him is when he's being turned into a pylon by Crosby, and McD has no points in the playoffs. Just playing hurt, or what?

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 07:42 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
What has happened to Ryan "Norris Discussion" McDonagh in the playoffs? He was a monster at the end of the regular season and an automatic choice for one of the 3 Rangers stars every single game.

Now the only time I notice him is when he's being turned into a pylon by Crosby, and McD has no points in the playoffs. Just playing hurt, or what?
He's hurt

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 07:45 AM
TeamStewie

vCash: 920
Definitely hurt. I'm just hoping that after all this he won't need surgery during the summer.

TeamStewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 07:52 AM
Dr. Ogrodnick

vCash: 661
Quote:
Has separating the opposing forward from the puck become illegal?
Do you mean illegal like scoring on the power play or illegal like Rick Nash not falling down? Ohhh, you mean illegal like winning 2 playoff games in a row....

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 09:07 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ogrodnick View Post
Do you mean illegal like scoring on the power play or illegal like Rick Nash not falling down? Ohhh, you mean illegal like winning 2 playoff games in a row....
Illegal like maybe they should learn how to keep the opposing players in front of them. I mean, seriously when did the poke check become the only allowable way to defend? Poke checks lead to conceding of the blue line on every opposing rush.

Old
05-06-2014, 09:36 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

If we can't score then yes, how we play defense is very important to the discussion of how this team is gonna win another game, let alone another series.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:54 PM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Nothing to be confused about. I did not blame a shoddy defense for the 1st round going 7 games. Nor did I call this defense a shoddy defense or insinuated that they have not been playing well. I pointed out a wart and a something that was concerning.
You are choosing the term "wart" just as I chose the term "shoddy D". You were nasty to me over me pointing to the bad D then you echoed my sentiments after realizing I was right. It's funny! Thank you for your good humor

Old
05-06-2014, 01:57 PM
True Blue

Quote:
You are choosing the term "wart" just as I chose the term "shoddy D". You were nasty to me over me pointing to the bad D then you echoed my sentiments after realizing I was right. It's funny!
No, a wart is just that. An imperfection. Something that mars something larger. Not an entirety. However, thank you for telling me how I should interpret my own post.
Quote:
Thank you for your good humor
Don't mention it. No trouble at all.

Old
05-07-2014, 06:51 AM
shinchanyo

Quote:
No, a wart is just that. An imperfection. Something that mars something larger. Not an entirety. However, thank you for telling me how I should interpret my own post.

Don't mention it. No trouble at all.
I never claimed otherwise but you are welcome. Shoddy D is the result of imperfection so we agree.

Old
05-07-2014, 07:50 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
If we can't score then yes, how we play defense is very important to the discussion of how this team is gonna win another game, let alone another series.
Agree.

Anyway Pittsburgh did not do a lot of attacking in game 3. They got a goal on a stretch pass and then patiently waited for the Rangers to make another mistake which happened when Zucc missed Richards instead passing to Jokinen coming out of the penalty box. Jokinen is one of the last players in the league you want going in on your goalie on a clear breakaway. After that goal--Pittsburgh focused on getting the puck deep in our end and making the Rangers come the full 200' up the ice.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 08:05 AM
True Blue

Quote:
I never claimed otherwise but you are welcome. Shoddy D is the result of imperfection so we agree.
A completely shoddy defense and one whose style of play can lead to having problems are two separate things.

Old
05-07-2014, 08:06 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
After that goal--Pittsburgh focused on getting the puck deep in our end and making the Rangers come the full 200' up the ice.
Seems a good way to help win games. Make the other team skate the full length of the ice. Or is that considered "caveman" style these days?