HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Bad Contract Swap: Clarkson + 1st for Horton

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2014, 02:11 AM
7even
Go on, do your duty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy-4-50 View Post
LOL, your forgetting Horton is a nice player to have in this mix. Leafs jump on this so fast your head would spin.
Lmao, yeah alright bud. PLZ TAKE MY LOTTERY PICK - nobody

Old
05-04-2014, 03:26 AM
chunkylover53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Reim View Post
I can't wait for Clarkson to have a solid season and a good playoff so people will love him, then for him to suck again and everyone to hate him, then for another good stretch and everyone to love him. Except for a few, who will continuously hate him regardless of production or love him regardless of play. That is the life of a player on HF.

Love-hate-love-hate-terrible-good-elite-terrible-elite. Depends how they played that week whether they are elite or an ahlers on here.
At which point did people love Clarkson and his contract to begin with?!?! It was hate through and through. Sure Clarkson COULD have a solid season and good playoff (if they get there) but that's looks unlikely. Heck, I could say Horton stays healthy and gets close to 45-50pts, which is more likely. The question is whether that 1st makes the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Toronto isnt paying a 1st to get rid of Clarkson.

We'll eat a buy out if we have to, or just live with it.
I believe I remember reading about Clarkson's contract, and how it's super restrictive for Toronto to really do anything about it. Basically, you might as well keep him instead of buying out as it wouldn't really be worth it anyways.

Last edited by chunkylover53: 05-04-2014 at 03:32 AM.
Old
05-04-2014, 06:13 AM
Center Ice Scrum

vCash: 50
Would you like a side of fries with that 1st rounder? People on HF will go to quite the extremes to bash Leaf players and fan base, this is just another drop in the bucket. Stop wasting your bandwidth.

Old
05-04-2014, 06:23 AM
Warden of the North
Global Moderator
hmmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
At which point did people love Clarkson and his contract to begin with?!?! It was hate through and through. Sure Clarkson COULD have a solid season and good playoff (if they get there) but that's looks unlikely. Heck, I could say Horton stays healthy and gets close to 45-50pts, which is more likely. The question is whether that 1st makes the difference.

I believe I remember reading about Clarkson's contract, and how it's super restrictive for Toronto to really do anything about it. Basically, you might as well keep him instead of buying out as it wouldn't really be worth it anyways.
The buy out would be very long at this point, true. But its still better then giving up a potentially high 1st round pick.

We're just going to keep him and hope he bounces back

Old
05-04-2014, 09:57 AM
grindline

If you want CBJ to take the Clarkson contract there are two approaches you could try.

Firstly you could retain 50% salary and send the 8th overall in exchange for the Jackets first round pick.

Secondly you could try obtaining Jarmo's signature and spend a few hours learning to copy it before ringing the NHL office and using your best European accent.

My money is on the latter option having a greater chance of success.

Old
05-04-2014, 10:13 AM
Warden of the North
Global Moderator
hmmmmmmm

Contrary to popular belief, the Leafs can carry Clarksons contract. Its not THAT onerous.

Old
05-04-2014, 10:17 AM
Almighty

Leafs gladly keep the 8th pick and draft a good forward, and hope that Clarkson rebounds.

Let's face it, Clarkson won't be as bad as last season. He hit absolute rock bottom.

Old
05-04-2014, 10:41 AM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Contrary to popular belief, the Leafs can carry Clarksons contract. Its not THAT onerous.
It's the worst in the league. They can afford it but it will put them at a disadvantage compared to other teams spending to the cap. And that disadvantage will last for a long time

Old
05-04-2014, 11:34 AM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy-4-50 View Post
LOL, your forgetting Horton is a nice player to have in this mix. Leafs jump on this so fast your head would spin.
Its the last place he wants to go to, and I think Ehlers/Nylander/whoever, is more important to us. I considered him as a UFA, but as in injury prone, who we have to give up a top 10 pick. Just NO.

Counter:
Clarkson + and our 1st for Johansen, and we're talking.
I'd even retain a small portion of #71's contract.

Old
05-04-2014, 11:46 AM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
It's the worst in the league. They can afford it but it will put them at a disadvantage compared to other teams spending to the cap. And that disadvantage will last for a long time
Meh, if they free up the cap space by dumping Clarkson (something this trade does nothing to achieve BTW), the Leafs will just blow the money someplace else. Toronto has a knack for overspending on their players

Old
05-04-2014, 12:10 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
Is he a RH top 4 Dman? Thats what the leafs need. Adding another winger is pointless and is barely even a priority. Horton does nothing for us except replace Clarkson's salary. Certainly not worth the 8th overall pick.

We can easily agree because as a Columbus fan, I'm not at all interested in trading Horton for the 8th overall, or Clarkson and the 8th. Columbus is not rebuilding and needs Horton and what he provides.

From watching the Leafs, I think they need defensively responsible forwards, better defensemen and structure. They can score, but they don't seem to be able to keep other teams from getting lots of scoring opportunities. It's like they hope to win 6-5.

If you don't think a top 6 forward with grit who is defensively responsible is a Leafs need or getting back Clarkson's cap hit to use for players of need, fair enough. I hope Nonis can go out and get what they do need.

Old
05-04-2014, 12:22 PM
nuckfan insk

vCash: 50
How much of clarksons deal would Toronto be retaining ?

Old
05-04-2014, 12:39 PM
Nazemlupul

No reason for the leafs to do this. Keep the top 10 pick. Clarkson will get better, mostly because he can't get much worst but I also think it's an off year for him.

Old
05-04-2014, 02:44 PM
Jimmys7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
Its the last place he wants to go to, and I think Ehlers/Nylander/whoever, is more important to us. I considered him as a UFA, but as in injury prone, who we have to give up a top 10 pick. Just NO.

Counter:
Please tell me this is a joke.

Old
05-04-2014, 03:03 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:

Counter:
I honestly can't think of anything the Leafs could offer that would bring back Johansen.

Last edited by TaketheCannoli: 05-04-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old
05-04-2014, 04:01 PM
bobg1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Horton, if healthy, was on pace for 43 points. Not great given his contract, but acceptable for one year in the hopes he bounces back.

Clarkson, meanwhile, would only amass a meager 15 points. Even with a high first, I'm not certain I'd want to go anywhere near him.
So Clarkson had an off-year, who hasn't?????

Old
05-04-2014, 04:19 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmys7 View Post
Please tell me this is a joke.
No more than the OP.

Old
05-04-2014, 04:20 PM
Pyrophorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
I honestly can't think of anything the Leafs could offer that would bring back Johansen.
Yet you want the #8?

Old
05-04-2014, 05:12 PM
Atomos2
Auston 20:16

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
We can easily agree because as a Columbus fan, I'm not at all interested in trading Horton for the 8th overall, or Clarkson and the 8th. Columbus is not rebuilding and needs Horton and what he provides.

From watching the Leafs, I think they need defensively responsible forwards, better defensemen and structure. They can score, but they don't seem to be able to keep other teams from getting lots of scoring opportunities. It's like they hope to win 6-5.

If you don't think a top 6 forward with grit who is defensively responsible is a Leafs need or getting back Clarkson's cap hit to use for players of need, fair enough. I hope Nonis can go out and get what they do need.
Focusing on the leafs forward core is the same mistake the leafs made last year. The defensive forward problem on the leafs can be solved internally within the marlies who have a bunch of them. Despite the awful season he had this year, Clarkson could just as easily go back to being the top 6 forward he had been for the previous two years so there is another possible solution. One more solution could be drafting players like Virtanen or Ritchie to fulfill that top 6 role in the future.

A last resort would be wasting assets to get rid of a contract all the while bringing back a contract that's just as bad. Meanwhile, the leafs back end just gets left alone and keeps getting worse. What kind of management strategy would that be?

Old
05-04-2014, 05:15 PM
Mystifo
No more Mr.FightGuy

Hornton wants nothing to do with big markets so no way he would like this move.

Add in while I hate Clarkson I don't hate him enough to give up our 1st which could become William Nylander.

Old
05-04-2014, 05:15 PM
BruinLVGA

Quote:
How generous, CBJ should be all over that! ⊙﹏⊙

Old
05-04-2014, 05:42 PM
ThrillinPhil
Tdot.

Oh come on.... some people saying they wouldnt take this. Identical contracts and you get the 8th Overall Pick... if Toronto actually offered this to CBJ, you would jump all over it.

Old
05-04-2014, 06:18 PM
edbrubaker*

If Horton is a such a bad contract give the Leafs CBJ's 2015 1st and Horton for Gleason.

Old
05-04-2014, 06:30 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Yet you want the #8?
You should read my posts. I DON'T want the eighth.

The OP made a ridiculous offer. I don't see a deal here at all.

Old
05-04-2014, 06:35 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
Focusing on the leafs forward core is the same mistake the leafs made last year. The defensive forward problem on the leafs can be solved internally within the marlies who have a bunch of them. Despite the awful season he had this year, Clarkson could just as easily go back to being the top 6 forward he had been for the previous two years so there is another possible solution. One more solution could be drafting players like Virtanen or Ritchie to fulfill that top 6 role in the future.

A last resort would be wasting assets to get rid of a contract all the while bringing back a contract that's just as bad. Meanwhile, the leafs back end just gets left alone and keeps getting worse. What kind of management strategy would that be?
Why solely focus on defense? Why not focus on icing a team that can score and play a defensively responsible game. Why not improve the blue line and the forwards?

I would guess the Leafs are going to need to give Clarkson 2-3 years to become a valuable player. After that, if he doesn't play up to the Leafs expectations, they can buy him out.

Closed Thread