HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL XI: Second Round Edition

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2014, 09:27 AM
Dactyl*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV022473 View Post
Without Jagr, do we make the playoffs any years he was here? Do we make the ECF without Gabby?
Well we made the playoffs the year after Jagr left and before Gaborik came. So Hank>everyone

Old
05-04-2014, 09:54 AM
Ail
Kidmograph tho.

Glad to see Gaborik doing well. Dude's so likable.

Old
05-04-2014, 10:09 AM
SnowblindNYR

I don't get how Gaborik suddenly has turned into a monster in the playoffs. He had a monster playoffs his first year. He's been mediocre since then. LA doesn't seem like the type of team he would thrive in. Why was he just ok in Columbus but so good in LA?

Old
05-04-2014, 10:10 AM
SnowblindNYR

I still do the Brassard trade for age, health, position, and salary reasons. There's no guarantee we get this Gaborik.

Old
05-04-2014, 10:17 AM
AWall THE CLAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I still do the Brassard trade for age, health, position, and salary reasons. There's no guarantee we get this Gaborik.
I very much like Brassard, and I very much like Gaborik. At the end of the day, I still blame Torts for his inability to make that stacked team last year work out. They should've been matchup hell for any team and instead they squeak into the playoffs on the virtue of depth moves that necessitated trading away an elite goal scorer. End of the day... still couldn't score enough to beat a real team in the playoffs. Taking my role as Capt. Hindsight even further... Prust/Feds should've been resigned, Anisimov/Dubinsky retained, and the Black and Blueshirts should've been given one more run at the Cup in a shortened season. That said, sitting on 1-0 ECSF lead with a deep offensive team and a coach who knows how to play an OT game in the playoffs isn't a bad position to be in.

EDIT: And although I agree it was a decent trade, I still can't help but feel Gabby deserved his NYR legacy to be better than one in a long string of hired guns. I really think he was on a path to being one of those Ranger greats, and certainly at least remembered as endearingly as Jagr is.

Old
05-04-2014, 10:22 AM
Fire AV
#FreeMcIlrath

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
He waived a NTC. If he wanted to stay he could have nixed any trade.

Gaborik hated Tortarella.
Feel free to make assumptions, but I know for a fact that he didn't want to leave

Just because a player waives his NTC does't mean he wants to leave

Old
05-04-2014, 10:28 AM
DutchShamrock

Gaborik's legacy was in his hands. Whatever the history books hold for him is a result of his mostly uninspired play, much like Nash.

I don't know, I must have been somewhat disengaged with rangers hockey if names like jagr and words like endearing are used in connection to Gaborik. Not what I saw out there and am nothing but delighted he was jettisoned.

Old
05-04-2014, 10:37 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Just Be Nice

Definitely happy for Gaborik as well. Always seemed like a good guy and one of the Rangers' best UFA signings.

Kopitar is a big factor, as well as him being able to be a complementary piece. But Gabby's still going to the paint where his hands remain lethal.

Feeling decent with my Kings Cup bet I made before this round at 9/1. Ducks dropped to 10/1 this morning after the loss, threw a hedge on them as well to cover my tracks. But Boston looks very tough to beat right now.

05-04-2014, 10:42 AM
OverTheCap

The funny thing is that the way Gaborik is playing right now is how Torts wanted him to play - he is engaged and involved, he is driving to the net, and he is putting himself in a good position to score. It's frustrating to see that he is capable of playing like this consistently when he didn't always do that here, but playing on a line with Kopitar helps, as well as being on a team who knows what it takes to win a cup. However, Gaborik is also in a contract year, and I'd have to imagine that is a source of motivation for him too.

Old
05-04-2014, 10:44 AM
jniklast

Quote:
I don't get how Gaborik suddenly has turned into a monster in the playoffs. He had a monster playoffs his first year. He's been mediocre since then. LA doesn't seem like the type of team he would thrive in. Why was he just ok in Columbus but so good in LA?
He is playing with better linemates than he ever had in his career. He has more space than he ever had and he is a player that thrives if he has space.

Old
05-04-2014, 11:41 AM
Blueshirt Special

Glad to see Gabby doing well in Hollywood.

It will be interesting to see what happens when we play The Kings in June.....

"I just close my eyes and shoot."
Old
05-04-2014, 11:58 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
The funny thing is that the way Gaborik is playing right now is how Torts wanted him to play - he is engaged and involved, he is driving to the net, and he is putting himself in a good position to score. It's frustrating to see that he is capable of playing like this consistently when he didn't always do that here, but playing on a line with Kopitar helps, as well as being on a team who knows what it takes to win a cup. However, Gaborik is also in a contract year, and I'd have to imagine that is a source of motivation for him too.
For stretches? Gaborik absolutely did that here and he did that under Tortorella. The question will be whether or not he maintains it for longer. It's a question that won't be answered until next year, since there aren't enough games left on the schedule to find out if this is a long-term thing or not.

Old
05-04-2014, 12:54 PM
Bullseyes

I'm happy Gaborik's having a good playoffs. I loved him when he was here and I still love him now that he's gone.

Old
05-04-2014, 01:27 PM
KOVALEV022473

It's not even worth debating with some on here. Two people can see exactly the same thing, yet see it entirely different.

Last edited by KOVALEV022473: 05-04-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old
05-04-2014, 03:24 PM
SnowblindNYR

Rule question:

If a player kicks a puck and it gets saved does it count as a shot and save?

Old
05-04-2014, 03:29 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseyRanger View Post
I very much like Brassard, and I very much like Gaborik. At the end of the day, I still blame Torts for his inability to make that stacked team last year work out. They should've been matchup hell for any team and instead they squeak into the playoffs on the virtue of depth moves that necessitated trading away an elite goal scorer. End of the day... still couldn't score enough to beat a real team in the playoffs. Taking my role as Capt. Hindsight even further... Prust/Feds should've been resigned, Anisimov/Dubinsky retained, and the Black and Blueshirts should've been given one more run at the Cup in a shortened season. That said, sitting on 1-0 ECSF lead with a deep offensive team and a coach who knows how to play an OT game in the playoffs isn't a bad position to be in.

EDIT: And although I agree it was a decent trade, I still can't help but feel Gabby deserved his NYR legacy to be better than one in a long string of hired guns. I really think he was on a path to being one of those Ranger greats, and certainly at least remembered as endearingly as Jagr is.
I blame Torts for a lot but how was it his fault that Gaborik and Richards' game fell off a cliff? That's 2 of our best 3 forwards from the year before. Gaborik wasn't an elite goal scorer when we traded him though. He was over 30 with a long list of injuries and having a ****** season. He was only good with Columbus, but still injured and got traded for scraps. He wasn't just another hired gun, but he wasn't a great either. Half his seasons here he stunk.

Old
05-04-2014, 03:31 PM
LittleKev6D9
Unregistered User

Go Wild. Screw Patrick Kane.

Old
05-04-2014, 03:42 PM
SnowblindNYR

I remember Hossa scoring on a similar move in the shootout on Lundqvist when he was in Atlanta many moons ago.

Old
05-04-2014, 03:49 PM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleKev6D9 View Post
Go Wild. Screw Patrick Kane.
I really don't think the wild can keep up with the Hawks in this series.

Old
05-04-2014, 04:24 PM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

Quote:
Rule question:

If a player kicks a puck and it gets saved does it count as a shot and save?
Yes, it does.

Old
05-04-2014, 04:35 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky Fingers View Post
At least Gaborik disn't shy away from all physical contact like his "replacement" Nash. Oh, he did score as well. Didn't like letting Gabe go then, but the situation with Tortz wasn't sustainable.
Yes he did and on top of that he wouldn't even backcheck. That's why Columbus traded him, too.

Old
05-04-2014, 04:38 PM
jerseyjinx94
I jinx players.

All hail Maid Marian

Old
05-04-2014, 04:41 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Just Be Nice

Brent Seabrook is a heck of a player

Old
05-04-2014, 04:59 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey View Post
Yes, it does.
Why? It wouldn't have counted if it went in.

Old
05-04-2014, 05:10 PM
Infinitum Vitae*
XXXXXX

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Brent Seabrook is a heck of a player
I'd say our D pairings and theirs are the two best

Closed Thread