HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL XI: Second Round Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-04-2014, 09:27 AM
  #151
Dactyl*
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bofflol
Country: United States
Posts: 17,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV022473 View Post
Without Jagr, do we make the playoffs any years he was here? Do we make the ECF without Gabby?
Well we made the playoffs the year after Jagr left and before Gaborik came. So Hank>everyone

Dactyl* is offline  
Old
05-04-2014, 09:54 AM
  #152
Ail
Kidmograph tho.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 25,054
vCash: 500
Glad to see Gaborik doing well. Dude's so likable.

Ail is offline  
Old
05-04-2014, 10:09 AM
  #153
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 23,575
vCash: 500
I don't get how Gaborik suddenly has turned into a monster in the playoffs. He had a monster playoffs his first year. He's been mediocre since then. LA doesn't seem like the type of team he would thrive in. Why was he just ok in Columbus but so good in LA?

SnowblindNYR is offline  
Old
05-04-2014, 10:10 AM
  #154
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 23,575
vCash: 500
I still do the Brassard trade for age, health, position, and salary reasons. There's no guarantee we get this Gaborik.

SnowblindNYR is offline  
Old
05-04-2014, 10:17 AM
  #155
AWall THE CLAW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I still do the Brassard trade for age, health, position, and salary reasons. There's no guarantee we get this Gaborik.
I very much like Brassard, and I very much like Gaborik. At the end of the day, I still blame Torts for his inability to make that stacked team last year work out. They should've been matchup hell for any team and instead they squeak into the playoffs on the virtue of depth moves that necessitated trading away an elite goal scorer. End of the day... still couldn't score enough to beat a real team in the playoffs. Taking my role as Capt. Hindsight even further... Prust/Feds should've been resigned, Anisimov/Dubinsky retained, and the Black and Blueshirts should've been given one more run at the Cup in a shortened season. That said, sitting on 1-0 ECSF lead with a deep offensive team and a coach who knows how to play an OT game in the playoffs isn't a bad position to be in.

EDIT: And although I agree it was a decent trade, I still can't help but feel Gabby deserved his NYR legacy to be better than one in a long string of hired guns. I really think he was on a path to being one of those Ranger greats, and certainly at least remembered as endearingly as Jagr is.

AWall THE CLAW is offline  
Old
05-04-2014, 10:22 AM
  #156
Fire AV
#FreeMcIlrath
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Austria
Posts: 20,192
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
He waived a NTC. If he wanted to stay he could have nixed any trade.

Gaborik hated Tortarella.
Feel free to make assumptions, but I know for a fact that he didn't want to leave

Just because a player waives his NTC does't mean he wants to leave

Fire AV is offline  
Old
05-04-2014, 10:28 AM
  #157
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,224
vCash: 500
Gaborik's legacy was in his hands. Whatever the history books hold for him is a result of his mostly uninspired play, much like Nash.

I don't know, I must have been somewhat disengaged with rangers hockey if names like jagr and words like endearing are used in connection to Gaborik. Not what I saw out there and am nothing but delighted he was jettisoned.

DutchShamrock is offline  
Old
05-04-2014, 10:37 AM
  #158
HatTrick Swayze
Just Be Nice
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 11,553
vCash: 500
Definitely happy for Gaborik as well. Always seemed like a good guy and one of the Rangers' best UFA signings.

Kopitar is a big factor, as well as him being able to be a complementary piece. But Gabby's still going to the paint where his hands remain lethal.

Feeling decent with my Kings Cup bet I made before this round at 9/1. Ducks dropped to 10/1 this morning after the loss, threw a hedge on them as well to cover my tracks. But Boston looks very tough to beat right now.

__________________
"Here we can see the agression of american people. They love fighting and guns. when they wont win they try to kill us all." -HalfOfFame
HatTrick Swayze is offline  
Old
05-04-2014, 10:42 AM
  #159
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 10,338
vCash: 500
The funny thing is that the way Gaborik is playing right now is how Torts wanted him to play - he is engaged and involved, he is driving to the net, and he is putting himself in a good position to score. It's frustrating to see that he is capable of playing like this consistently when he didn't always do that here, but playing on a line with Kopitar helps, as well as being on a team who knows what it takes to win a cup. However, Gaborik is also in a contract year, and I'd have to imagine that is a source of motivation for him too.

OverTheCap is offline  
Old
05-04-2014, 10:44 AM
  #160
jniklast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I don't get how Gaborik suddenly has turned into a monster in the playoffs. He had a monster playoffs his first year. He's been mediocre since then. LA doesn't seem like the type of team he would thrive in. Why was he just ok in Columbus but so good in LA?
He is playing with better linemates than he ever had in his career. He has more space than he ever had and he is a player that thrives if he has space.

jniklast is offline  
Old
05-04-2014, 11:41 AM
  #161
Blueshirt Special
Registered User
 
Blueshirt Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,369
vCash: 500
Glad to see Gabby doing well in Hollywood.

It will be interesting to see what happens when we play The Kings in June.....

__________________
WIN NOW

"I just close my eyes and shoot."
Blueshirt Special is offline  
Old
05-04-2014, 11:58 AM
  #162
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 16,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
The funny thing is that the way Gaborik is playing right now is how Torts wanted him to play - he is engaged and involved, he is driving to the net, and he is putting himself in a good position to score. It's frustrating to see that he is capable of playing like this consistently when he didn't always do that here, but playing on a line with Kopitar helps, as well as being on a team who knows what it takes to win a cup. However, Gaborik is also in a contract year, and I'd have to imagine that is a source of motivation for him too.
For stretches? Gaborik absolutely did that here and he did that under Tortorella. The question will be whether or not he maintains it for longer. It's a question that won't be answered until next year, since there aren't enough games left on the schedule to find out if this is a long-term thing or not.

Tawnos is offline  
Old
05-04-2014, 12:54 PM
  #163
Bullseyes
Registered User
 
Bullseyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,449
vCash: 500
I'm happy Gaborik's having a good playoffs. I loved him when he was here and I still love him now that he's gone.

Bullseyes is offline  
Old
05-04-2014, 01:27 PM
  #164
KOVALEV022473
Registered User
 
KOVALEV022473's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Stony Point, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,440
vCash: 500
It's not even worth debating with some on here. Two people can see exactly the same thing, yet see it entirely different.


Last edited by KOVALEV022473: 05-04-2014 at 01:36 PM.
KOVALEV022473 is offline  
Old
05-04-2014, 03:24 PM
  #165
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 23,575
vCash: 500
Rule question:

If a player kicks a puck and it gets saved does it count as a shot and save?

SnowblindNYR is offline  
Old
05-04-2014, 03:29 PM
  #166
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 23,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseyRanger View Post
I very much like Brassard, and I very much like Gaborik. At the end of the day, I still blame Torts for his inability to make that stacked team last year work out. They should've been matchup hell for any team and instead they squeak into the playoffs on the virtue of depth moves that necessitated trading away an elite goal scorer. End of the day... still couldn't score enough to beat a real team in the playoffs. Taking my role as Capt. Hindsight even further... Prust/Feds should've been resigned, Anisimov/Dubinsky retained, and the Black and Blueshirts should've been given one more run at the Cup in a shortened season. That said, sitting on 1-0 ECSF lead with a deep offensive team and a coach who knows how to play an OT game in the playoffs isn't a bad position to be in.

EDIT: And although I agree it was a decent trade, I still can't help but feel Gabby deserved his NYR legacy to be better than one in a long string of hired guns. I really think he was on a path to being one of those Ranger greats, and certainly at least remembered as endearingly as Jagr is.
I blame Torts for a lot but how was it his fault that Gaborik and Richards' game fell off a cliff? That's 2 of our best 3 forwards from the year before. Gaborik wasn't an elite goal scorer when we traded him though. He was over 30 with a long list of injuries and having a ****** season. He was only good with Columbus, but still injured and got traded for scraps. He wasn't just another hired gun, but he wasn't a great either. Half his seasons here he stunk.

SnowblindNYR is offline  
Old
05-04-2014, 03:31 PM
  #167
LittleKev6D9
Unregistered User
 
LittleKev6D9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Middletown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,354
vCash: 500
Go Wild. Screw Patrick Kane.

LittleKev6D9 is offline  
Old
05-04-2014, 03:42 PM
  #168
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 23,575
vCash: 500
I remember Hossa scoring on a similar move in the shootout on Lundqvist when he was in Atlanta many moons ago.

SnowblindNYR is offline  
Old
05-04-2014, 03:49 PM
  #169
truebluegoalie
Registered User
 
truebluegoalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleKev6D9 View Post
Go Wild. Screw Patrick Kane.
I really don't think the wild can keep up with the Hawks in this series.

truebluegoalie is offline  
Old
05-04-2014, 04:24 PM
  #170
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing
 
Megustaelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 11,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Rule question:

If a player kicks a puck and it gets saved does it count as a shot and save?
Yes, it does.

Megustaelhockey is online now  
Old
05-04-2014, 04:35 PM
  #171
stan the caddy
Registered User
 
stan the caddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky Fingers View Post
At least Gaborik disn't shy away from all physical contact like his "replacement" Nash. Oh, he did score as well. Didn't like letting Gabe go then, but the situation with Tortz wasn't sustainable.
Yes he did and on top of that he wouldn't even backcheck. That's why Columbus traded him, too.

stan the caddy is offline  
Old
05-04-2014, 04:38 PM
  #172
jerseyjinx94
I jinx players.
 
jerseyjinx94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,890
vCash: 500
All hail Maid Marian

jerseyjinx94 is online now  
Old
05-04-2014, 04:41 PM
  #173
HatTrick Swayze
Just Be Nice
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 11,553
vCash: 500
Brent Seabrook is a heck of a player

HatTrick Swayze is offline  
Old
05-04-2014, 04:59 PM
  #174
SnowblindNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 23,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey View Post
Yes, it does.
Why? It wouldn't have counted if it went in.

SnowblindNYR is offline  
Old
05-04-2014, 05:10 PM
  #175
Infinitum Vitae*
XXXXXX
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Country: Marshall Islands
Posts: 8,947
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Brent Seabrook is a heck of a player
I'd say our D pairings and theirs are the two best

Infinitum Vitae* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.