HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

McGuire on Hemsky

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2003, 01:00 PM
MrMackey

vCash: 500
McGuire on Hemsky

After reading the thread on York, I thought I'd post this little nugget.

MCguire and Miller were in Calgary today for the last of the six teams in six days segment, and were on the Fan 960. They were commenting on the game last night, mostly talking from a Calgary perspective... but they both said the story of the game last night was Hemsky.

McGuire then went on to say that this player is not only going to be a star, but a superstar. I can't remember his exact words, but he was going on and on about Hemmer's talent level and that he will be the player to watch in the coming years.

It was good to hear that kind of thing from reporters based out of Toronto, talking on a Calgary radio show.

Old
10-03-2003, 01:15 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey

MCguire and Miller were in Calgary today for the last of the six teams in six days segment, and were on the Fan 960. They were commenting on the game last night, mostly talking from a Calgary perspective... but they both said the story of the game last night was Hemsky.

McGuire then went on to say that this player is not only going to be a star, but a superstar. I can't remember his exact words, but he was going on and on about Hemmer's talent level and that he will be the player to watch in the coming years.

It was good to hear that kind of thing from reporters based out of Toronto, talking on a Calgary radio show.
More and more you are going to hear the 'W' word (Wayne) mentioned when people talk about this kid. His progress since the second half of last season is something I've never seen before.

Old
10-03-2003, 01:30 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
More and more you are going to hear the 'W' word (Wayne) mentioned when people talk about this kid. His progress since the second half of last season is something I've never seen before.
DO NOT USE THE 'W' WORD

Old
10-03-2003, 01:31 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I think PM is completely right. I mean all the people on these boards who are talking trade propals and say that Frolov or Legwand would equal Hemsky's value haven't seen Hemsky play much. I watched Frolov a good 20 games last year, and doesn't come close to the skill level.

Old
10-03-2003, 01:33 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
DO NOT USE THE 'W' WORD
W, W, W!

Old
10-03-2003, 01:33 PM
Malmo_Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I think PM is completely right. I mean all the people on these boards who are talking trade propals and say that Frolov or Legwand would equal Hemsky's value haven't seen Hemsky play much. I watched Frolov a good 20 games last year, and doesn't come close to the skill level.
I would agree on Frolov...for the most part. But come on, Legwand has more value than Hemsky easily

Old
10-03-2003, 01:38 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malmo_Mike
I would agree on Frolov...for the most part. But come on, Legwand has more value than Hemsky easily

I assume you're joking.

Old
10-03-2003, 01:41 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Value and talent are two different things. The two are definitely not interchangable.

Old
10-03-2003, 02:22 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Wheres the punchline??

Old
10-03-2003, 02:59 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:

BLASPHEMY!

Old
10-03-2003, 03:51 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:

Players with that kind of talent don't come along very often. I have been scared to give him the superstar label, but it is something I speak of often to my hockey cronies.

He makes moves and passes out there that other players don't even dream of.

Also I woudn't worry about what other fans think of Hemsky, the rest of the hockey world are going to discover him soon enough!

Old
10-03-2003, 03:56 PM
Seachd

Let's just put it this way... To their respective teams, Hemsky and Legwand both have tremendous value. I will say, however, that I seriously question whether Poile would trade Legwand for Hemsky... I don't think he would.

Old
10-03-2003, 04:16 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
Let's just put it this way... To their respective teams, Hemsky and Legwand both have tremendous value. I will say, however, that I seriously question whether Poile would trade Legwand for Hemsky... I don't think he would.
And I don't think Lowe would trade Hemsky for Legwand. I know I woudn't.

Sometimes we undervalue what we have right under our noses!

Old
10-03-2003, 04:17 PM
Tidus

And Lowe DEFINATELY wouldn't trade Hemsky for Legwand so it doesn't matter..

Old
10-03-2003, 04:18 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
And I don't think Lowe would trade Hemsky for Legwand. I know I woudn't.
Nope. I don't think he would either. They're both too important to their teams. They'd rather just stick with who they know.

Old
10-03-2003, 04:38 PM
Mr Sakich

last year in a game vs the leafs, hemsky had about three shifts that was basically a man playing with boys. He made it look so easy. Right now, I think he could easily be this era's Kent Nilson in terms of skill level. If he continues to improve his desire, he could be special.

Would this be a fair statement?

kent nilson + messier = gretzky

Old
10-03-2003, 04:46 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

The scary thing is he hasn't even learned to capitalize and finish on all his scoring chances yet... once that happens, we could have ourselves the first 100 point scorer on the Oilers since Doug Weight.

Old
10-03-2003, 04:47 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor dyck
last year in a game vs the leafs, hemsky had about three shifts that was basically a man playing with boys. He made it look so easy. Right now, I think he could easily be this era's Kent Nilson in terms of skill level. If he continues to improve his desire, he could be special.

Would this be a fair statement?

kent nilson + messier = gretzky
That was the one big concern I had about Hemsky last year is how much he wanted it.

There were reports that he didn't show up in great shape and I thought yeah he has the skills but does he have the drive and determination to be a superstar, and most importantly does he want it.

But then the reports came in. He worked hard all summer, got faster and bascially said he wanted it, by his actions and his words.

To me also the one thing that will have to come is consistency. The superstars of the NHL do it every night. That will come with a little time.

But the clincher is that he wants it! We have our budding superstar!

Old
10-03-2003, 05:16 PM
Hemsky Fan

vCash:
Quote:
Players with that kind of talent don't come along very often. I have been scared to give him the superstar label, but it is something I speak of often to my hockey cronies.

He makes moves and passes out there that other players don't even dream of.

Also I woudn't worry about what other fans think of Hemsky, the rest of the hockey world are going to discover him soon enough!

I'm glad to see how Hemsky's doing in the NHL, we knew (Hull Olympiques' Fans) 3 years ago that he had something special. Just too bad I'm not a big NHL fan, I don't see him play a lot. Keep up the good work Hemsky!

Old
10-03-2003, 06:10 PM
Freakey Styley

come on, i like hemsky and all but he's not a gretzky/lemieux player, before camp i was expecting hemsky to get something like 60 pts, after camp (well it's almost done) i'm still thinking that.

hemsky still has lots to prove, he was great in the last month of the season and in pre-season but hemsky hasn't had one really good season yet and was also innefective during the playoff (did he even play?, cause i can't recall hemsky at all in that series).

hemsky is freakin good, don't get me wrong, he's better than his numbers and he's at the top of his rookie class (with nash, zberg, spezza) but he's still not at a gaborik/kovalchuk level, and nowhere close to a thornton/heatley(heatley maybe not anymore but if you saw him in march/april, you know he was).

i'd say hemsky is about like havlat, 2 players who are great to watch and are 60 pts guy that are maybe 2 years away from 80-85.

Old
10-03-2003, 06:18 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakey Styley
come on, i like hemsky and all but he's not a gretzky/lemieux player, before camp i was expecting hemsky to get something like 60 pts, after camp (well it's almost done) i'm still thinking that.

hemsky still has lots to prove, he was great in the last month of the season and in pre-season but hemsky hasn't had one really good season yet and was also innefective during the playoff (did he even play?, cause i can't recall hemsky at all in that series).

hemsky is freakin good, don't get me wrong, he's better than his numbers and he's at the top of his rookie class (with nash, zberg, spezza) but he's still not at a gaborik/kovalchuk level, and nowhere close to a thornton/heatley(heatley maybe not anymore but if you saw him in march/april, you know he was).

i'd say hemsky is about like havlat, 2 players who are great to watch and are 60 pts guy that are maybe 2 years away from 80-85.
Hemsky has only played 59 games and I said budding superstar and I also said he has to learn consistency. I think in a couple of years he will be hitting the 85 to 95 point mark. Also I don't remember anyone in this thread comparing him to Gretzky or Lemieux but IMO he will be one of the elite players in this league.

He is not a superstar yet but IMO he will be. No one has said he is there yet!

Old
10-03-2003, 06:51 PM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Hemsky has only played 59 games and I said budding superstar and I also said he has to learn consistency. I think in a couple of years he will be hitting the 85 to 95 point mark. Also I don't remember anyone in this thread comparing him to Gretzky or Lemieux but IMO he will be one of the elite players in this league.

He is not a superstar yet but IMO he will be. No one has said he is there yet!
Lowe and MacT were the ones comparing Ales to Gretz on the TSN Oilers spot. They said that he has Gretsky-esque vision on the ice. They didn't direclty compare his overall game to Gretsky's. You have to win a cup to be compared to Gretz or Mario. Here's hoping.

Old
10-03-2003, 07:18 PM
Freakey Styley

oh i get it (for the lemieux/gretz thing), but i'm looking foward to the first game so i can see him for myself.

Old
10-03-2003, 08:45 PM
Malmo_Mike

Quote:

I assume you're joking.
Dead serious, I can't believe how many people are against me on this. Legwand is one of the top young players in the game. Legwand is right up there with Gaborik, Heatley and Kovalchuk. I still think Hemsky is going to be a great player, but I honestly believe Legwand is going to be one of the premier players in the league (a Modano type player) I would bet my life that Lowe would trade Hemsky for Legwand if he got a chance, same goes with Poile not trading Legwand for Hemsky straight up.

Old
10-03-2003, 08:48 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Dead serious, I can't believe how many people are against me on this. Legwand is one of the top young players in the game. Legwand is right up there with Gaborik, Heatley and Kovalchuk. I still think Hemsky is going to be a great player, but I honestly believe Legwand is going to be one of the premier players in the league (a Modano type player) I would bet my life that Lowe would trade Hemsky for Legwand if he got a chance, same goes with Poile not trading Legwand for Hemsky straight up.
Again I don't think he would and yes I am deadly serious.

Almost every expert in the NHL is picking Hemsky to be the next star in the league so it's just not us Edmonton fans that see him every day.

I believe Hemsky is going to one of the stars in this league as well and Lowe would not trade him away.

May I ask how many times have you seen Hemsky play?

Closed Thread