HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

McGuire on Hemsky

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-03-2003, 01:00 PM
  #1
MrMackey
Registered User
 
MrMackey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: cgy
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,061
vCash: 500
McGuire on Hemsky

After reading the thread on York, I thought I'd post this little nugget.

MCguire and Miller were in Calgary today for the last of the six teams in six days segment, and were on the Fan 960. They were commenting on the game last night, mostly talking from a Calgary perspective... but they both said the story of the game last night was Hemsky.

McGuire then went on to say that this player is not only going to be a star, but a superstar. I can't remember his exact words, but he was going on and on about Hemmer's talent level and that he will be the player to watch in the coming years.

It was good to hear that kind of thing from reporters based out of Toronto, talking on a Calgary radio show.

MrMackey is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 01:15 PM
  #2
theoil
Registered User
 
theoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
After reading the thread on York, I thought I'd post this little nugget.

MCguire and Miller were in Calgary today for the last of the six teams in six days segment, and were on the Fan 960. They were commenting on the game last night, mostly talking from a Calgary perspective... but they both said the story of the game last night was Hemsky.

McGuire then went on to say that this player is not only going to be a star, but a superstar. I can't remember his exact words, but he was going on and on about Hemmer's talent level and that he will be the player to watch in the coming years.

It was good to hear that kind of thing from reporters based out of Toronto, talking on a Calgary radio show.
More and more you are going to hear the 'W' word (Wayne) mentioned when people talk about this kid. His progress since the second half of last season is something I've never seen before.

theoil is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 01:30 PM
  #3
oilers_guy_eddie
Registered User
 
oilers_guy_eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Intolerable climate
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 10,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
More and more you are going to hear the 'W' word (Wayne) mentioned when people talk about this kid. His progress since the second half of last season is something I've never seen before.
DO NOT USE THE 'W' WORD

oilers_guy_eddie is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 01:31 PM
  #4
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I think PM is completely right. I mean all the people on these boards who are talking trade propals and say that Frolov or Legwand would equal Hemsky's value haven't seen Hemsky play much. I watched Frolov a good 20 games last year, and doesn't come close to the skill level.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 01:33 PM
  #5
theoil
Registered User
 
theoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
DO NOT USE THE 'W' WORD
W, W, W!

theoil is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 01:33 PM
  #6
Malmo_Mike
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Some times I punch and rap
Posts: 1,696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I think PM is completely right. I mean all the people on these boards who are talking trade propals and say that Frolov or Legwand would equal Hemsky's value haven't seen Hemsky play much. I watched Frolov a good 20 games last year, and doesn't come close to the skill level.
I would agree on Frolov...for the most part. But come on, Legwand has more value than Hemsky easily

Malmo_Mike is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 01:38 PM
  #7
MrMackey
Registered User
 
MrMackey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: cgy
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malmo_Mike
I would agree on Frolov...for the most part. But come on, Legwand has more value than Hemsky easily


I assume you're joking.

MrMackey is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 01:41 PM
  #8
momentai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I think PM is completely right. I mean all the people on these boards who are talking trade propals and say that Frolov or Legwand would equal Hemsky's value haven't seen Hemsky play much. I watched Frolov a good 20 games last year, and doesn't come close to the skill level.
Value and talent are two different things. The two are definitely not interchangable.

momentai is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 02:22 PM
  #9
windowlicker
Registered User
 
windowlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Murky Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malmo_Mike
I would agree on Frolov...for the most part. But come on, Legwand has more value than Hemsky easily
Wheres the punchline??

windowlicker is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 02:59 PM
  #10
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malmo_Mike
I would agree on Frolov...for the most part. But come on, Legwand has more value than Hemsky easily

BLASPHEMY!

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 03:51 PM
  #11
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
After reading the thread on York, I thought I'd post this little nugget.

MCguire and Miller were in Calgary today for the last of the six teams in six days segment, and were on the Fan 960. They were commenting on the game last night, mostly talking from a Calgary perspective... but they both said the story of the game last night was Hemsky.

McGuire then went on to say that this player is not only going to be a star, but a superstar. I can't remember his exact words, but he was going on and on about Hemmer's talent level and that he will be the player to watch in the coming years.

It was good to hear that kind of thing from reporters based out of Toronto, talking on a Calgary radio show.
Players with that kind of talent don't come along very often. I have been scared to give him the superstar label, but it is something I speak of often to my hockey cronies.

He makes moves and passes out there that other players don't even dream of.

Also I woudn't worry about what other fans think of Hemsky, the rest of the hockey world are going to discover him soon enough!

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 03:56 PM
  #12
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,385
vCash: 500
Let's just put it this way... To their respective teams, Hemsky and Legwand both have tremendous value. I will say, however, that I seriously question whether Poile would trade Legwand for Hemsky... I don't think he would.

Seachd is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 04:16 PM
  #13
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
Let's just put it this way... To their respective teams, Hemsky and Legwand both have tremendous value. I will say, however, that I seriously question whether Poile would trade Legwand for Hemsky... I don't think he would.
And I don't think Lowe would trade Hemsky for Legwand. I know I woudn't.

Sometimes we undervalue what we have right under our noses!

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 04:17 PM
  #14
Tidus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 346
vCash: 500
And Lowe DEFINATELY wouldn't trade Hemsky for Legwand so it doesn't matter..

Tidus is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 04:18 PM
  #15
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
And I don't think Lowe would trade Hemsky for Legwand. I know I woudn't.
Nope. I don't think he would either. They're both too important to their teams. They'd rather just stick with who they know.

Seachd is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 04:38 PM
  #16
Mr Sakich
Registered User
 
Mr Sakich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Motel 35
Posts: 8,045
vCash: 500
last year in a game vs the leafs, hemsky had about three shifts that was basically a man playing with boys. He made it look so easy. Right now, I think he could easily be this era's Kent Nilson in terms of skill level. If he continues to improve his desire, he could be special.

Would this be a fair statement?

kent nilson + messier = gretzky

Mr Sakich is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 04:46 PM
  #17
Cloned
Sexy Genesis
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 21,874
vCash: 500
The scary thing is he hasn't even learned to capitalize and finish on all his scoring chances yet... once that happens, we could have ourselves the first 100 point scorer on the Oilers since Doug Weight.

Cloned is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 04:47 PM
  #18
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor dyck
last year in a game vs the leafs, hemsky had about three shifts that was basically a man playing with boys. He made it look so easy. Right now, I think he could easily be this era's Kent Nilson in terms of skill level. If he continues to improve his desire, he could be special.

Would this be a fair statement?

kent nilson + messier = gretzky
That was the one big concern I had about Hemsky last year is how much he wanted it.

There were reports that he didn't show up in great shape and I thought yeah he has the skills but does he have the drive and determination to be a superstar, and most importantly does he want it.

But then the reports came in. He worked hard all summer, got faster and bascially said he wanted it, by his actions and his words.

To me also the one thing that will have to come is consistency. The superstars of the NHL do it every night. That will come with a little time.

But the clincher is that he wants it! We have our budding superstar!

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 05:16 PM
  #19
Hemsky Fan
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Players with that kind of talent don't come along very often. I have been scared to give him the superstar label, but it is something I speak of often to my hockey cronies.

He makes moves and passes out there that other players don't even dream of.

Also I woudn't worry about what other fans think of Hemsky, the rest of the hockey world are going to discover him soon enough!

I'm glad to see how Hemsky's doing in the NHL, we knew (Hull Olympiques' Fans) 3 years ago that he had something special. Just too bad I'm not a big NHL fan, I don't see him play a lot. Keep up the good work Hemsky!

 
Old
10-03-2003, 06:10 PM
  #20
Freakey Styley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 31
vCash: 500
come on, i like hemsky and all but he's not a gretzky/lemieux player, before camp i was expecting hemsky to get something like 60 pts, after camp (well it's almost done) i'm still thinking that.

hemsky still has lots to prove, he was great in the last month of the season and in pre-season but hemsky hasn't had one really good season yet and was also innefective during the playoff (did he even play?, cause i can't recall hemsky at all in that series).

hemsky is freakin good, don't get me wrong, he's better than his numbers and he's at the top of his rookie class (with nash, zberg, spezza) but he's still not at a gaborik/kovalchuk level, and nowhere close to a thornton/heatley(heatley maybe not anymore but if you saw him in march/april, you know he was).

i'd say hemsky is about like havlat, 2 players who are great to watch and are 60 pts guy that are maybe 2 years away from 80-85.

Freakey Styley is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 06:18 PM
  #21
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakey Styley
come on, i like hemsky and all but he's not a gretzky/lemieux player, before camp i was expecting hemsky to get something like 60 pts, after camp (well it's almost done) i'm still thinking that.

hemsky still has lots to prove, he was great in the last month of the season and in pre-season but hemsky hasn't had one really good season yet and was also innefective during the playoff (did he even play?, cause i can't recall hemsky at all in that series).

hemsky is freakin good, don't get me wrong, he's better than his numbers and he's at the top of his rookie class (with nash, zberg, spezza) but he's still not at a gaborik/kovalchuk level, and nowhere close to a thornton/heatley(heatley maybe not anymore but if you saw him in march/april, you know he was).

i'd say hemsky is about like havlat, 2 players who are great to watch and are 60 pts guy that are maybe 2 years away from 80-85.
Hemsky has only played 59 games and I said budding superstar and I also said he has to learn consistency. I think in a couple of years he will be hitting the 85 to 95 point mark. Also I don't remember anyone in this thread comparing him to Gretzky or Lemieux but IMO he will be one of the elite players in this league.

He is not a superstar yet but IMO he will be. No one has said he is there yet!

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 06:51 PM
  #22
Hemsky4PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Billeting Ales
Posts: 6,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Hemsky has only played 59 games and I said budding superstar and I also said he has to learn consistency. I think in a couple of years he will be hitting the 85 to 95 point mark. Also I don't remember anyone in this thread comparing him to Gretzky or Lemieux but IMO he will be one of the elite players in this league.

He is not a superstar yet but IMO he will be. No one has said he is there yet!
Lowe and MacT were the ones comparing Ales to Gretz on the TSN Oilers spot. They said that he has Gretsky-esque vision on the ice. They didn't direclty compare his overall game to Gretsky's. You have to win a cup to be compared to Gretz or Mario. Here's hoping.

Hemsky4PM is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 07:18 PM
  #23
Freakey Styley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 31
vCash: 500
oh i get it (for the lemieux/gretz thing), but i'm looking foward to the first game so i can see him for myself.

Freakey Styley is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 08:45 PM
  #24
Malmo_Mike
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Some times I punch and rap
Posts: 1,696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey


I assume you're joking.
Dead serious, I can't believe how many people are against me on this. Legwand is one of the top young players in the game. Legwand is right up there with Gaborik, Heatley and Kovalchuk. I still think Hemsky is going to be a great player, but I honestly believe Legwand is going to be one of the premier players in the league (a Modano type player) I would bet my life that Lowe would trade Hemsky for Legwand if he got a chance, same goes with Poile not trading Legwand for Hemsky straight up.

Malmo_Mike is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 08:48 PM
  #25
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malmo_Mike
Dead serious, I can't believe how many people are against me on this. Legwand is one of the top young players in the game. Legwand is right up there with Gaborik, Heatley and Kovalchuk. I still think Hemsky is going to be a great player, but I honestly believe Legwand is going to be one of the premier players in the league (a Modano type player) I would bet my life that Lowe would trade Hemsky for Legwand if he got a chance, same goes with Poile not trading Legwand for Hemsky straight up.
Again I don't think he would and yes I am deadly serious.

Almost every expert in the NHL is picking Hemsky to be the next star in the league so it's just not us Edmonton fans that see him every day.

I believe Hemsky is going to one of the stars in this league as well and Lowe would not trade him away.

May I ask how many times have you seen Hemsky play?

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.