HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Potential Offseason Acquisitions

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2014, 12:54 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
not really sure how much there is to the Niskanen rumor. How do they fit him in if they bring back Timonen? even if they don't its a tough fit. Unless they trade Grossmann for a bag of pucks which isn't going to happen.

Old
05-06-2014, 01:35 PM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 500
ummmm...did anybody know that grossman has an NTC?

Basically the whole damn defense does.

Old
05-06-2014, 01:36 PM
BernieParent

Unless the Flyers get a legitimate top-pairing defenseman,* I would want them to stay away from high-price, multi-year FA signings of Dmen. With actual, honest-to-goodness legitimate impact prospects on the verge of making the team, the Flyers need to preserve some flexibility in their D ranks. They have 5 signed (not including Pronger) for the next 2 years. Coburn, Schenn and Grossmann all hit FA after the 2015-16 season, and Streit and (thankfully) Pronger the season after. That's a lot of D position and cap space solidly tied up for the next 2 years.

It's near unanimous that we hope/speculate that Grossmann gets moved. I am leery about how simple it will be, with him carrying a $3.5 million cap hit for 2 years.

* I do consider Edler to be a legitimate top-pairing Dman, in the face of many opinions here to the contrary. This is just in case anyone ponders my posts in favour of a move to get Edler.

Old
05-06-2014, 01:38 PM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post

It's not a full one but I don't know the full specifics so it might not be too major of an obstacle. Could just be six teams he won't accept a trade to.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

It's not a full one, Schenn's doesn't kick in until the final year of his contract as well.

Old
BernieParent

Quote:

It's a modified NTC, which makes the situation only slightly better as I'd figure a team like Edmonton would have the most use for his services.

Old
05-06-2014, 01:40 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:

Its a modified NTC which means he has a list of teams he would go to and can still be traded.
edit: Damn you Bernie...you beat me to it...lol

Old
05-06-2014, 01:41 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

Forget Niskanen.

He needs to have more than one year before we give him 6aav for 6 years. And do people honestly want MacDonald and Niskanen taking up 10+ mil on the cap for the next 6 years?

Also: Can we stopping ******** on Nicklas Grossmann? Its clear that he's been playing injured all season and any compromise of his mobility is obviously going to have drastic effects on his play. Let him heal completely and he will be an important piece to the defense next year. People are quick to forget how consistent he was in his first couple seasons here. Should he have been playing injured all season? Probably not, but for a guy of his build there should be no surprise that leg injury = poor play.

Old
05-06-2014, 01:43 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Its a modified NTC which means he has a list of teams he would go to and can still be traded.
edit: Damn you Bernie...you beat me to it...lol
And LoD had quicker fingers than I.

Old
05-06-2014, 01:45 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 View Post
Forget Niskanen.

He needs to have more than one year before we give him 6aav for 6 years. And do people honestly want MacDonald and Niskanen taking up 10+ mil on the cap for the next 6 years?

Also: Can we stopping ******** on Nicklas Grossmann? Its clear that he's been playing injured all season and any compromise of his mobility is obviously going to have drastic effects on his play. Let him heal completely and he will be an important piece to the defense next year. People are quick to forget how consistent he was in his first couple seasons here. Should he have been playing injured all season? Probably not, but for a guy of his build there should be no surprise that leg injury = poor play.
Grossmann's thick medical file is a part of the problem. Plus, it doesn't mask his absence of puck sense and ability. I agree that his season was less than his ability to be a very good shutdown defenseman, but I focus on him in trade scenarios as being mostly redundant to LSchenn, who is younger.

Old
05-06-2014, 01:46 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Forget Niskanen.

Grossmann's main problem are his hands which will never get better. He makes bad passes and loses the puck off his stick way too often.

Old
05-06-2014, 01:46 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Forget Niskanen.

I don't think he's a bad defensemen to be honest, however I think he's a bad fit for this defense. We don't have the horses to cover up for his slowness. Schenn's basically a younger version of Grossmann, if he can find consistency in his game he's the better fit because he actually has a pulse offensively even if it's limited.

Old
05-06-2014, 01:47 PM
Hiesenberg

If you put Grossman next to Ghost, it probably wouldn't be terrible. He needs a partner to handle the puck 95% of the time.

Old
05-06-2014, 01:49 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
It's not a full one, Schenn's doesn't kick in until the final year of his contract as well.
I'm not sold on trading L.Schenn or B. Schenn...never a good idea to dump youth.
ie:JVR
It think Schenn played better this year and still needs to work on his skating than he will become a possible top pairing Dman.

Old
05-06-2014, 01:49 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
* I do consider Edler to be a legitimate top-pairing Dman, in the face of many opinions here to the contrary. This is just in case anyone ponders my posts in favour of a move to get Edler.
He was the worst minus player in the league this season at -39 (and the next worst player on Vancouver was only -15) and he was outscored in ES points per game by Braydon Coburn.

Old
05-06-2014, 01:50 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
You know what, if he was injured, he shouldn't have been playing. Maybe it's just me, but I'm sick and tired of all this stupid macho crap amongst players about being injured and playing through it. There's a difference between playing through some cuts, scrapes and bruises than there is playing with a legitimate injury. I have no sympathy at all for players who are trying to act like "tough guys" while playing through a legitimate injury. It's stupid, dangerous and possibly career altering. Grossmann should be crapped on because he did something stupid. End of rant.

Old
05-06-2014, 01:50 PM
flyershockey

Yeah, Grossmann hasn't really been good since Malkin chicken winged him in the 2012 playoffs. Maybe he should go back to one N.

Old
05-06-2014, 01:51 PM
PALE PWNR

You can't have Schenn and Grossmann on the same team. It just can't work. Schenn's younger and right handed so Grossmann is the odd man out. They are the same damn player

Old
05-06-2014, 01:51 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
If you put Grossman next to Ghost, it probably wouldn't be terrible. He needs a partner to handle the puck 95% of the time.
When I think of this pairing, I get the Looney Tunes image of Spike and Chester.

"I've got the puck, I'VE GOT THE PUCK!!! How about we skate it down the ice, circle the net three times and fire off a couple of shots?!?!"

"Neh!"

Old
05-06-2014, 01:53 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Grossmann's thick medical file is a part of the problem. Plus, it doesn't mask his absence of puck sense and ability. I agree that his season was less than his ability to be a very good shutdown defenseman, but I focus on him in trade scenarios as being mostly redundant to LSchenn, who is younger.
The bolded is true, but I think we can get at least one more good year out of Big Nick, maybe even a second (when his contract runs out).

However, I don't see L. Schenn as equivalent to Grossmann.

Grossmann is no puckhandler, that's for sure, but in general I see him as the higher IQ player compared to Schenn. Schenn is equally prone to turnovers and sloppy breakoust, and at the same time doesn't bring the same physical edge that Grossmann does. I know than Schenn racks up the hits but Grossmann is better at using his body to defend / box out players / block shots.

In spite of all that, L. Schenn clearly will demand much more in a trade than Grossmann, given his draft pedigree and youth. Whereas Grossmann, in the eyes of other NHL teams, will be a cap dump. We can get value for Schenn, but I don't see moving Grossmann as worth it.

Old
05-06-2014, 01:57 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Am I the only person who doesn't view NTCs as some sort of magic shield? To me, a NTC just serves as some sort of warning to a player and gives them some say in where they go. I don't really believe it cements them into the locker room, making them completely immovable.

Old
05-06-2014, 01:57 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
You know what, if he was injured, he shouldn't have been playing. Maybe it's just me, but I'm sick and tired of all this stupid macho crap amongst players about being injured and playing through it. There's a difference between playing through some cuts, scrapes and bruises than there is playing with a legitimate injury. I have no sympathy at all for players who are trying to act like "tough guys" while playing through a legitimate injury. It's stupid, dangerous and possibly career altering. Grossmann should be crapped on because he did something stupid. End of rant.
Agreed completely.

Though I don't think the athlete is to blame, these guys are going to play if the coach puts them in!

Old
05-06-2014, 01:58 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I really want Mike Cammalleri

Old
05-06-2014, 02:12 PM
Curufinwe

At what price?

Old
05-06-2014, 02:12 PM
peedicrakk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
You can't have Schenn and Grossmann on the same team. It just can't work. Schenn's younger and right handed so Grossmann is the odd man out. They are the same damn player
They're really not, though. Schenn is a better skater (not a great skater, but better than Grossmann), has better outlet passes, better hands, more offensive awareness, etc. They both hit and block shots, but Schenn can do significantly more. I'm not against trading Grossmann but I don't think those two are mirror images at all.

Closed Thread