HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

After looking at teams proposed lines on the NHL talk board....

Closed Thread

Old
08-25-2005, 03:55 PM
JR#9*

vCash: 500
After looking at teams proposed lines on the NHL talk board....

I've come to the conclusion that we aren't as dreadful as you'd expect as almost every lineup had a very, very weak 3rd and 4th line and most were very thin on the blueline as well.

Obviously the cap has worked in the redistrabution of talent and has done in with the days where a team can be stacked from top to bottom.

I'd say Philly is probrably the most balanced team from top to bottom but when looking at some of the other teams that are suppossed to be contenders there are some pretty major holes in their lineups like look at Boston who have a very good forward crop but their top 6 is simply dreadful and then when you look at some of the depth Ott has lost in the offseason and the major ??? with a 41 yr old Hasek in net it really makes you wonder how things will shake out.

Just found it interesting and worth pointing out.

Old
08-25-2005, 03:58 PM
Bytown

Ottawa has allso got alot bigger with two guys over 6.4.

Old
08-25-2005, 04:09 PM
Fletch

Do the other teams...

have top six forwards and defensemen as soft as the Rangers? Granted the NHL is changing and perhaps Sather's planning perfectly for that, but that remains to be seen.

Old
08-25-2005, 04:12 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
have top six forwards and defensemen as soft as the Rangers? Granted the NHL is changing and perhaps Sather's planning perfectly for that, but that remains to be seen.
don't get me wrong Fletch, I still don't see us being a PO team and I'd rather be in the bottom 5 and trade away all the vets for picks/prospects then to back into an 8th spot one and done situation but my point simply was that teams all seem more balanced as almost every single one has significant holes and the depth that some teams have had had vanished under the cap.

Old
08-25-2005, 04:18 PM
NYC Aim 4588

vCash:
If NYR does make the playoffs I mean honestly, how far do you think they will actually get? Anything is possible but realistically it wont be far lucky to get out the first round. Is it worth getting a pick in the mid first round for one round of the playoffs, no I personally dont think so.

Plus does anyone really think NYR will be able to be teams such as Tampa Bay, Ottawa, Toronto, Philly even NJ. I highly doubt it, and if so will be a 8th seed playing TB or Ottawa maybe even Philly and they will get rocked. IMO

I would rather be in the bottom 5, trade away all the vets for some picks and prospects that seems to make the most sense. Then draft a player in the top 5 or maybe be able to move up to get the #2 or #3, though the 5 is still good. To lose out on possibly one round if lucky 2 rounds in the playoffs they are not winning a cup if so that would be AMAZING.REALLY VERY VERY AMAZING, I would probably drop dead of a heart attack it happened.

Old
08-25-2005, 04:33 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
I agree. Not to sound sound like a grouch about everything, but no matter which of the players that have been bandied about plays where, the '05 version of the Rangers could be one of the softest hockey teams in recent memory. I have no idea of who will be there to stand up for the kids when the 'Leafs, Isles, Flyers, Bruins, etc... come to town. Like you, I do not know if Sather has some inside information that the new NHL will be played as if it is the SEL, but looking that the probables, the toughest people on the team will be the ones not dressing.

Old
08-25-2005, 05:28 PM
Onion Boy

Leaving the Western Conference alone since it really doesn't affect us that much, you're right that the East does not look that strong top to bottom. Then again, some teams that you'd expect to be poor are actually pretty decent. Carolina is a good example as they've quietly put together a competitive team.

Philadelphia, Boston, and Tampa Bay probably have the most well rounded forward groups in the conference, although much of Philly's success depends on how Carter and Richards fare. Philly and Ottawa have the best defenses. Few teams have what you would call elite goaltending. New Jersey, Montreal, and Florida are the only teams that come to mind right now.

Teams that have weaknesses, but are nonetheless locks to make the playoffs IMO are Philadelphia, Boston, and Tampa Bay. Montreal and NY Islanders should make it as well. Ottawa has a big question-mark in Hasek and I doubt he lasts the whole season, but they have enough cap room to deal for another goalie so they should make it as well. That leaves 2 spots up for grabs.

The Rangers have a pretty decent forward group, though the bottom-six is still pretty bare and we lack a legit second line RWer. If were looking to clinch a playoff spot, injuries would be a big issue. Straka and Rucchin and both very injury prone and Jagr's groin may start acting up again which would put us in big trouble. Goaltending is average, though Lundqvist may surprise alot of people (not Ranger fans of course).

That said, I think that New Jersey, Florida, Atlanta, Buffalo, and maybe Carolina all have stronger clubs than us. Toronto does also, but they also have the same injury questions if not more.

I really don't think we have much of a shot this year. The only team we can definitively say we're better than is Washington.

Old
08-25-2005, 05:33 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599
Leaving the Western Conference alone since it really doesn't affect us that much, you're right that the East does not look that strong top to bottom. Then again, some teams that you'd expect to be poor are actually pretty decent. Carolina is a good example as they've quietly put together a competitive team.

Philadelphia, Boston, and Tampa Bay probably have the most well rounded forward groups in the conference, although much of Philly's success depends on how Carter and Richards fare. Philly and Ottawa have the best defenses. Few teams have what you would call elite goaltending. New Jersey, Montreal, and Florida are the only teams that come to mind right now.

Teams that have weaknesses, but are nonetheless locks to make the playoffs IMO are Philadelphia, Boston, and Tampa Bay. Montreal and NY Islanders should make it as well. Ottawa has a big question-mark in Hasek and I doubt he lasts the whole season, but they have enough cap room to deal for another goalie so they should make it as well. That leaves 2 spots up for grabs.

The Rangers have a pretty decent forward group, though the bottom-six is still pretty bare and we lack a legit second line RWer. If were looking to clinch a playoff spot, injuries would be a big issue. Straka and Rucchin and both very injury prone and Jagr's groin may start acting up again which would put us in big trouble. Goaltending is average, though Lundqvist may surprise alot of people (not Ranger fans of course).

That said, I think that New Jersey, Florida, Atlanta, Buffalo, and maybe Carolina all have stronger clubs than us. Toronto does also, but they also have the same injury questions if not more.

I really don't think we have much of a shot this year. The only team we can definitively say we're better than is Washington.
Agreed. Although even Wash could pass us if their rookies step up - many people (including I think HF?) have their farm system rated the best.

Old
08-25-2005, 05:34 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

In the playoffs anything can happen. You never know, Lundqvist could take over as the number one and become very dominant like he was in Sweden against NHL players in the SEL league last year. If you have good goaltending and defense in the playoffs you can win.

Old
08-25-2005, 06:07 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch
In the playoffs anything can happen. You never know, Lundqvist could take over as the number one and become very dominant like he was in Sweden against NHL players in the SEL league last year. If you have good goaltending and defense in the playoffs you can win.
Two problems, A) You have to make the playoffs first. B) We don't have a good defense.

I agree that I think Lundqvist will take over the starting role before season's end if not assuming it right out of camp. I really believe he's a darkhorse for the Calder, though the Rangers defense may make him look worse than he actually is.

Old
08-25-2005, 06:11 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
I've come to the conclusion that we aren't as dreadful as you'd expect as almost every lineup had a very, very weak 3rd and 4th line and most were very thin on the blueline as well.

Obviously the cap has worked in the redistrabution of talent and has done in with the days where a team can be stacked from top to bottom.

I'd say Philly is probrably the most balanced team from top to bottom but when looking at some of the other teams that are suppossed to be contenders there are some pretty major holes in their lineups like look at Boston who have a very good forward crop but their top 6 is simply dreadful and then when you look at some of the depth Ott has lost in the offseason and the major ??? with a 41 yr old Hasek in net it really makes you wonder how things will shake out.

Just found it interesting and worth pointing out.
I hope by "top 6" that you mean defence. Boston should have one of the top offence's this year. The only weakness we have is defence.

Closed Thread