HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Energy Management

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-05-2014, 03:30 PM
  #26
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
All the more reason to finish off teams in less than 7.
What I've learned reading this board, and what gives me solace at night, is that the team was lucky to win those 7 game series the previous 2 playoff years, and unlucky to have the Flyers series go 7 games.

So, we've got that going for us, which is nice.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 03:30 PM
  #27
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
We will never really know how much of an effect it really had, theres no way to know.

You're right, it doesn't change the fact that the Pens are the better team and doesn't change the powerful felling I have during these games that we are a large underdog here.

Pens have carried play, and I never got a feeling in either game that we could win. Truly was shocked when we managed to steal game 1.

Last night felt like a better team doing what they had to do to win. A better team winning a game when they need to and the Rangers couldn't do a damn thing about it.
If the Rangers would have scored on one - or more - of their early power plays last night, their stamina for the rest of the game might have been totally different. I don't think they were too tired to score a power play goal early in the first - just too inept.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 03:32 PM
  #28
ReggieDunlop68
hey hanrahan!
 
ReggieDunlop68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
I can also say since the Penguins played ONE less game that us JUST ONE they don't really have that much of an advantage here. They should be tired too - not to mention that the Pittsburgh-Columbus series was MUCH more physical than the Rangers-Flyers series.

It probably comes down to arena availability, and there is nothing anyone can do about that - except win the first round in less games. Advantage to the victors, as it should be.
Thankfully the circus will be at the Barclay's Center this year!

Wikipedia: Curse of 1940

The Curse of 1940 "worked" in several ways, some of them odd. The Madison Square Garden Corporation found it could make more money when Ringling Brothers Barnum and Bailey Circus came to town in the spring. This forced the Rangers, and later the National Basketball Association's New York Knicks, to use different arenas at the worst possible time ; during their respective leagues' playoffs. At the time, it was not possible to configure arenas in a way that would allow a circus and a hockey or basketball game to take place on the same day. Hence, the Rangers used Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto as their "home ice" in the 1950 Stanley Cup Finals, a move that potentially cost the Rangers that year's Stanley Cup. After the Blueshirts took a 3-2 series lead on the Wings, the NHL cited an obscure rule stating that the deciding game in a Stanley Cup Final could not be played on neutral ice. Maple Leaf Gardens was labelled "neutral" because its tenants proper were the Leafs, and Madison Square Garden was still occupied by the circus at the time. The Detroit Olympia was thus the venue for the sixth (although the Rangers were to be designated the "home" team for that match) and seventh games, both of which were won by Detroit.

It would be difficult to get the recordings (if they even exist), but I'm sure the telegraph system was set on fire with morse code excuses when the Rangers failed to control Gordie Howe, Sid Abel, and Ted Lindsay

ReggieDunlop68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 03:40 PM
  #29
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Blueshirt Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieDunlop68 View Post
Thankfully the circus will be at the Barclay's Center this year!

Wikipedia: Curse of 1940

It would be difficult to get the recordings (if they even exist), but I'm sure the telegraph system was set on fire with morse code excuses when the Rangers failed to control Gordie Howe, Sid Abel, and Ted Lindsay
You mean those old Morse Code "chat rooms"? Oh yeah, I remember those. Everyone trying to tap at once, one guy kept tapping in capitals. what a PIA

__________________
WIN NOW
Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 03:45 PM
  #30
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,958
vCash: 500
I remember when you could smell the elephant poop from the yellow seats

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 03:51 PM
  #31
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 10,045
vCash: 500
The scheduling isn't ideal but the Rangers lucked out by not having any OT games in the first round. Minnesota, Chicago, etc., had many of their first round games end in OT and I'm sure there are some players on those teams who have coped with or are coping with fatigue. It's all part of the playoff grind.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 04:00 PM
  #32
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 3,046
vCash: 500
Weird sort of myths.

Caffeine is a diuretic. In any form. Whether that is in coffee or red bull it still dehydrates you.

And caffeine is a nervous system stimulant. Good if you are falling asleep. Completely useless if your muscles are tired.

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 04:01 PM
  #33
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I see where we're going with this. Being Lundqvist was incredible last night, its awfully tough to scapegoat him. Next stop is the schedule being used an excuse.

The Penguins being a much more talented team up front is another factor I like to incorporate, but that one implies it wasn't outside factors/excuses that caused the Rangers to lose. Something thats awfully tough for cockeyed optimists to get their heads around -- Probably because its an issue that goes beyond having a red bull.
Are they much more talented up front? Crosby, Malkin, and who else exactly is so talented that there isn't an almost analogous talent on the Rangers?

Teams lose sometimes. There doesn't need to be a critical flaw in a team because they lost a game. There doesn't need to be an outside influence either. Sometimes teams just play bad games, or their opponents just play fantastic. This isn't a new phenomenon.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 04:07 PM
  #34
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Are they much more talented up front? Crosby, Malkin, and who else exactly is so talented that there isn't an almost analogous talent on the Rangers?

Teams lose sometimes. There doesn't need to be a critical flaw in a team because they lost a game. There doesn't need to be an outside influence either. Sometimes teams just play bad games, or their opponents just play fantastic. This isn't a new phenomenon.
Kunitz and Neal.

Not to mention how much better those players seem to be with 2 uber talents like Crosby and Malkin.

They have the advantage up front. I dont know how you could argue otherwise.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 04:13 PM
  #35
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,634
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Kunitz and Neal.

Not to mention how much better those players seem to be with 2 uber talents like Crosby and Malkin.

They have the advantage up front. I dont know how you could argue otherwise.
Not to mention that Crosby and Malkin and so far and away better players than any Ranger forward.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 04:14 PM
  #36
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Kunitz and Neal.

Not to mention how much better those players seem to be with 2 uber talents like Crosby and Malkin.

They have the advantage up front. I dont know how you could argue otherwise.
I'm not arguing otherwise. You implied that the Rangers losing so badly last night was caused by the pens having "much more talent up front." I disagree. Neither of Kunitz or Neal are much more talented than Nash or MSL. Crosby and Malkin, yeah, obviously there aren't many/any players like them around the league, or on the Rangers.

The Pens are more talented up front, but I wouldn't say that they're so much more talented that the Rangers losing can be blamed on that difference. Again, teams just lose sometimes. There's not always a fatal flaw or obvious difference that makes that happen. That's why the games are played rather than just lining up names on a piece of paper and determining which team is "better."

The pens are talented, but they're entirely beatable. The Rangers are capable of playing better, even against the almighty pens and all their talent. Will they actually execute? We'll see.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 04:15 PM
  #37
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
I'm not arguing otherwise. You implied that the Rangers losing so badly last night was caused by the pens having "much more talent up front." I disagree. Neither of Kunitz or Neal are much more talented than Nash or MSL. Crosby and Malkin, yeah, obviously there aren't many/any players like them around the league, or on the Rangers.

The Pens are more talented up front, but I wouldn't say that they're so much more talented that the Rangers losing can be blamed on that difference. Again, teams just lose sometimes. There's not always a fatal flaw or obvious difference that makes that happen. That's why the games are played rather than just lining up names on a piece of paper and determining which team is "better."

The pens are talented, but they're entirely beatable. The Rangers are capable of playing better, even against the almighty pens and all their talent. Will they actually execute? We'll see.
Well Nash and MSL not consistently making those around them better is a major issue.

Hell, it could be argued that Nash has never done that.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 04:22 PM
  #38
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
What I've learned reading this board, and what gives me solace at night, is that the team was lucky to win those 7 game series the previous 2 playoff years, and unlucky to have the Flyers series go 7 games.

So, we've got that going for us, which is nice.
Trying very hard to hang my hat on that.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 04:24 PM
  #39
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Are they much more talented up front? Crosby, Malkin, and who else exactly is so talented that there isn't an almost analogous talent on the Rangers?
Kunitz and Neal come to mind very quickly.

Plus the gap from Crosby & Malkin to the most talented of Rangers is vast. MSL is talented. He is not a generational talent.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 05:26 PM
  #40
McRanger
Registered User
 
McRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
What I've learned reading this board, and what gives me solace at night, is that the team was lucky to win those 7 game series the previous 2 playoff years, and unlucky to have the Flyers series go 7 games.

So, we've got that going for us, which is nice.
Well we didn't have to win back to back elimination games in the first round. And we are 1-1 in the second round with 3 home games left instead of 2. Despite playing tougher opponents.

So yeah I guess have been in a better position so far this post season.

Good looking out BRB. Way bring a positive vibe.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 11:09 AM
  #41
shinchanyo
Registered User
 
shinchanyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Here
Posts: 2,727
vCash: 500
The pens have unreal Defensive talent and pk talent...since that's what's killing the rangers and not the pens scoring talent.

Lose 2-0...twice and put on a record setting display of PP incompetence. The "difference in scoring talent up front" implying that pitt is simply too offensively talented should not be pointed to as the reason for losing. That excuse works when losing 4-3 If you want to say our offensive talent didn't even show up that's a lot different from saying what was being said. Last i checked scoring 2 points doesn't indicate an overwhelming offensive advantage. There is no excuse. The team is choking. Hard. The Pens are playing well and the NYR are playing like a bottom feeder team


Last edited by shinchanyo: 05-06-2014 at 11:28 AM.
shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 12:03 PM
  #42
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchanyo View Post
The pens have unreal Defensive talent and pk talent...since that's what's killing the rangers and not the pens scoring talent.
Call me crazy, but it seems like the Pens "scoring talent" is well, .....scoring.
Quote:
Lose 2-0...twice and put on a record setting display of PP incompetence. The "difference in scoring talent up front" implying that pitt is simply too offensively talented should not be pointed to as the reason for losing. That excuse works when losing 4-3 If you want to say our offensive talent didn't even show up that's a lot different from saying what was being said. Last i checked scoring 2 points doesn't indicate an overwhelming offensive advantage.
Or maybe Henke is standing on his head and making saves.
Quote:
There is no excuse. The team is choking. Hard. The Pens are playing well and the NYR are playing like a bottom feeder team
The Rangers are playing like they have for most of the year.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:27 PM
  #43
shinchanyo
Registered User
 
shinchanyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Here
Posts: 2,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Call me crazy, but it seems like the Pens "scoring talent" is well, .....scoring.

Or maybe Henke is standing on his head and making saves.

The Rangers are playing like they have for most of the year.
The post you quoted addresses all of the above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchanyo View Post
implying that pitt is simply too offensively talented should not be pointed to as the reason for losing. That excuse works when losing 4-3 If you want to say our offensive talent didn't even show up that's a lot different from saying what was being said. Last i checked scoring 2 points doesn't indicate an overwhelming offensive advantage.
0 for 34 is definitely a change from what was happening in season. The team is averaging 1 goal per game in this series. I don't think we averaged 1 GF in the regular season. They aren't playing the same. They are choking. Hard.

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:52 PM
  #44
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchanyo View Post
0 for 34 is definitely a change from what was happening in season. The team is averaging 1 goal per game in this series. I don't think we averaged 1 GF in the regular season. They aren't playing the same. They are choking. Hard.
Offense is much harder to come by during the season. The faults of a team are on full display and are being taken advantage of.

Things are a little different than playing Buffalo.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:58 PM
  #45
shinchanyo
Registered User
 
shinchanyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Here
Posts: 2,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Offense is much harder to come by during the season. The faults of a team are on full display and are being taken advantage of.

Things are a little different than playing Buffalo.
0 for 34 has nothing to do with Pitts offensive advantage (0 for 16 in the three games against Pitts or something like that). 1 GF in 3 games has nothing to do with it. Shutout for 120 minutes straight. 0 regulation goals in 8 periods of regulation play since the 1st period of game 1. Columbus didn't struggle more to score against the same exact team. We didn't struggle to score like this against Philly. If you want to prove that THE difference is Pittsburgh's overwhelming advantage offensively (and not our offense being terrible all on its own) then this is a bad response

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 02:02 PM
  #46
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchanyo View Post
0 for 34. 1 GF in 3 games. Shutout for 120 minutes straight. 0 regulation goals in 8 periods of regulation play since the 1st period of game 1.
And??
Quote:
Columbus didn't struggle more to score against the same exact team.
Columbus is not the Rangers and do not play with the same style.
Quote:
We didn't struggle to score like this against Philly.
No, we struggled in other areas. The Pens are using the same defensive methodology as the Flyers. The Rangers were able to make the rush work a few times against the latter. Not the former.
Quote:
Bad response
Good comment.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 07:05 PM
  #47
mike14
Registered User
 
mike14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne
Country: Australia
Posts: 4,731
vCash: 500
Not sure if this the right thread for this, but I'm curious as to why nhl players don't try for active recovery between shifts instead of passive. The results of peak power being higher after active recovery are pretty well known and as hockey is pretty much the perfect HIIT sport you'd think that they might try it.

I understand that they are limited to some extent by rink design but you could likely have some kind of active recovery area in the tunnel to the locker room and then players filter back to the bench as it is time for their next shift

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 07:39 PM
  #48
North Star
Registered User
 
North Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 305
vCash: 700
Use PP's as a time to rest, slow the play down as much as possible - it's not like we're going to score anyway.

North Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 07:42 PM
  #49
Aufheben
Global Moderator
 
Aufheben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 17,503
vCash: 69
Yeah, more coffee, that'll do it.

__________________



Aufheben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 08:11 PM
  #50
3rd Guy High
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Remember 2 seasons ago when it was the style of play making the team tired? Now its the schedule.

Couldnt be that this is a very good team that isn't on the same level as the top 5-7 teams in the league, could it?

Nahhhh! Thats crazy.
Aren't we the only team in the eastern conference to make it to at least the second round 3 years in a row? By my math, 8 teams make it to the second round every year. So I would say we could easily be 5-7.

3rd Guy High is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.