We have a chance

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2003, 02:01 PM
DKH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
We have a chance

I am not saying this team is ready to win the Cup but this team has a chance to compete in every game. If two things happen this team should have home ice for the first round. They are semi-big ifs but realistic: 1)these FIVE players remain reasonably healthy (70 games minimum) Thornton, Samsonov, Rolston, Murray and Boynton. 2) the goaltending has to be atleast 8th out of 15th in save %/goals against in the East- just average.

Overall though- the forward lines are good. Green was the guy I wanted when I saw the list but figured the 2 mil he probably makes would scare away the Broons even if they could get their hands on him. This team has some serious experience upfront in addition to 3 or 4 guys capable of 30 goals- and I'm not including Knuble here as I see him more as a solid 15-18 guy. A few young guys like Samuelsson and Zinovjev especially can go to Providence and be ready for callups. i expect one if not both two see significant playing time. This team has some serious depth upfront which is impressive. Bergeron is the plum but he'd be better going back and playing 30 minutes a game. The Broons should be ecstatic over what this kid has shown.

The defense could be the X factor here- youngsters like Jillson and Boynton along with some experienced, hard nosed, honest, nothing to flashy but NHL players to be sure in OD, McGillis and Gill. Morrisonn and/or Jurcina will I'm sure see double digit games in Boston for whatever reason give those Providence fans something to really focus on.

And I want to say, those attending Providence games should be pumped that they can go out and watch Toivonen, these two kid defenseman, Kultak, some combination of Zinovjev, Hilbert, Huml, Samuelsson and others.

The goaltending is going to be the key with any team and the Broons have to feel quite a bit better than they did one week ago. I would think MOC & Sullivan are 'cautiously optimistic' that either or both Raycroft or Potvin will do the job- all the well knowing that Toivonen is less than an hour away and will soon be ready for prime time.

I'm no scout but I can't see who's so superior in the EAST. If my two concerns above are reached I see 3rd at worst very achievable- behind the Sens and maybe Devils. I still think either the Devils or Flyers or both implode. I do like the Flyers but coach Hitchcock not only removes all the fun but just wait and see the reaction by many of these veterans who aren't going to take kindly to being ridden so hard. Hitchcock is from the Pat Burns antacid school of coaching.

The Devils I can see also doing a free fall act again as they did back in the mid 90's after winning the Cup and then missing the playoffs with a far, far, far superior roster. This group will probably not fall that far- they do have Brodeur but remember their glue Scott Stevens was in Kluzak's draft.

Old
10-03-2003, 02:13 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH
I am not saying this team is ready to win the Cup but this team has a chance to compete in every game. If two things happen this team should have home ice for the first round. They are semi-big ifs but realistic: 1)these FIVE players remain reasonably healthy (70 games minimum) Thornton, Samsonov, Rolston, Murray and Boynton. 2) the goaltending has to be atleast 8th out of 15th in save %/goals against in the East- just average.

Overall though- the forward lines are good. Green was the guy I wanted when I saw the list but figured the 2 mil he probably makes would scare away the Broons even if they could get their hands on him. This team has some serious experience upfront in addition to 3 or 4 guys capable of 30 goals- and I'm not including Knuble here as I see him more as a solid 15-18 guy. A few young guys like Samuelsson and Zinovjev especially can go to Providence and be ready for callups. i expect one if not both two see significant playing time. This team has some serious depth upfront which is impressive. Bergeron is the plum but he'd be better going back and playing 30 minutes a game. The Broons should be ecstatic over what this kid has shown.

The defense could be the X factor here- youngsters like Jillson and Boynton along with some experienced, hard nosed, honest, nothing to flashy but NHL players to be sure in OD, McGillis and Gill. Morrisonn and/or Jurcina will I'm sure see double digit games in Boston for whatever reason give those Providence fans something to really focus on.

And I want to say, those attending Providence games should be pumped that they can go out and watch Toivonen, these two kid defenseman, Kultak, some combination of Zinovjev, Hilbert, Huml, Samuelsson and others.

The goaltending is going to be the key with any team and the Broons have to feel quite a bit better than they did one week ago. I would think MOC & Sullivan are 'cautiously optimistic' that either or both Raycroft or Potvin will do the job- all the well knowing that Toivonen is less than an hour away and will soon be ready for prime time.

I'm no scout but I can't see who's so superior in the EAST. If my two concerns above are reached I see 3rd at worst very achievable- behind the Sens and maybe Devils. I still think either the Devils or Flyers or both implode. I do like the Flyers but coach Hitchcock not only removes all the fun but just wait and see the reaction by many of these veterans who aren't going to take kindly to being ridden so hard. Hitchcock is from the Pat Burns antacid school of coaching.

The Devils I can see also doing a free fall act again as they did back in the mid 90's after winning the Cup and then missing the playoffs with a far, far, far superior roster. This group will probably not fall that far- they do have Brodeur but remember their glue Scott Stevens was in Kluzak's draft.

We certainly do have a chance. In this "lame duck season" I can't do anything but praise O'Connell.

1. Got us a "number one" caliber goalie.

2. Promoted from within. "Graduated" Rolston to the second line, and brought in a very capable #3 in Travis Green.

3. Got all of the contracts done without any big headaches.

4. Worked the draft like a pro. After all the "How do you pass on Parise" stuff......Would anyone here trade Parise for Mark Stuart, Patrice Bergeron and Byron Blitz? I certainly would.

5. Got Jurcina, Toivonen and "The Siberian Secret" over here.

6. Signed McCarthy and resigned Grosek to give this team some needed "grit."

I may be missing some, but OC could have just did the status quo and pointed to September 2004, but he didn't.

Old
10-03-2003, 02:24 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8
We certainly do have a chance. In this "lame duck season" I can't do anything but praise O'Connell.

1. Got us a "number one" caliber goalie.

2. Promoted from within. "Graduated" Rolston to the second line, and brought in a very capable #3 in Travis Green.

3. Got all of the contracts done without any big headaches.

4. Worked the draft like a pro. After all the "How do you pass on Parise" stuff......Would anyone here trade Parise for Mark Stuart, Patrice Bergeron and Byron Blitz? I certainly would.

5. Got Jurcina, Toivonen and "The Siberian Secret" over here.

6. Signed McCarthy and resigned Grosek to give this team some needed "grit."

I may be missing some, but OC could have just did the status quo and pointed to September 2004, but he didn't.
I would wait on Potvin because he was far from the apple of MOC's eye. If it works great- he'll look good but it was nothing more than no market for Potvin and the Broons bordering on desperation. I really can't give him much credit for this.

I can give him credit though for signing all necessary picks sans Jonsson. But this may be another lucky stroke for MOC as Jonsson according to stories we can monitor on the SEL has made great strides. MOC and company for the pick and the thought of him outfitting the Broons with all Sweedes had me somewhat concerned after his initial draft but he has shown an ability to worry about talent regardless of nationality which is a relief.

I do like the Green pickup alot; Rolston is iffy as a second line center imo and better as a bomber off the wing to me- but he's a good player so he should be fine. I wonder if it would have been better to offer Oates the same money have him play second line center and work with Bergeron who becomes the third line center. You give Oates two gunners in Murray and Rolston as his wingers; Joe gets Sammy and Knuble; Bergeron gets Ax and Lapointe or Zamuner.

His biggest move may be getting Sullivan as a coach- I believe he'll be outstanding although Buffaloed has him for first fired. Sorry Buffaloed, you showed me not even 1 % knowledge of the Broons ins and outs which is fine since your a Sabres guy- but Mike Sullivan first fired? I'd be willing to bet of all the coaches in the East today, he may be the last to go....

Old
10-03-2003, 02:25 PM
StickMang

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8

{munched WBC8's list to save space}

Many wanted McInnis, Oliwa and Shields gone, and a few even wanted the loss of a soft Stumpel, (whom else did I forget?), so in addition to WBC8's list of pickups, they also achieved some addition by subtraction.

-Mang

Old
10-03-2003, 02:52 PM
JimmyV

Send a message via AIM to JimmyV
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMang
Many wanted McInnis, Oliwa and Shields gone, and a few even wanted the loss of a soft Stumpel, (whom else did I forget?), so in addition to WBC8's list of pickups, they also achieved some addition by subtraction.

-Mang
we don't have a line-up that rivals the Avalance....but, if I was another NHL team....there are at least 20 other teams I'd rather play on the night, then my beloved Bruins!!!

They are going to be tough!!!

Old
10-03-2003, 05:03 PM
BleedBruins

I'm usually a glass half full type of guy, but i think a little realism is needed. NJ lost Nieuwendyk but kept everyone else, right? I do not see us doing any better this year in the playoffs, unless we get major development from many areas (goalkeeping, team defense, Thornton's leadership, team toughness and discipline, Sammy's willingness to shoot, all the new kids question marks in reg and even more in playoff pressure, etc, etc).

Sure we got the toughest draw last year, but that is the measure that you need to use.

Personally, I'm looking for playoff hockey improvement. Not just wins/losses, as you can run into a hot goalie or have poor luck, but I do want to see the B's play up to their potential when it counts. And that is all about challenging players and having them step up to the challenge.

Old
10-03-2003, 06:34 PM
brianscot

Potvin and Raycroft > Shields and Grahame.

Mcgillis and Jillson > Berard and Girard. (In their own end.)

Sammie is back healthy, Green is a good role player addition, the kids have some promise.

I predict a good chance at play off spot 6.

Behind : Ottawa, NJ, Philly, TB, and Toronto.

And Toronto aint getting any younger.

Old
10-03-2003, 07:40 PM
SToMper!

I see us being more PREPARED for the playoffs. Who knows if this squad has the chemistry and everything neccessary to go deep. BUT, I think OC has set up the club more favorably than last year. There's a bunch more character and heart guys. Green, Moran, McCarthy.....a healthy Sammy 1 a gritty Sammy2, a more focused Jumbo Joe, a re-newed Knuble, Muzz, Jillson, a Grittier OD?, and a head coach that's not a "head case"!

I'm looking forward to seeing a few games in Beantown AND at the Coffee Pot!

Closed Thread