HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumors and Proposals Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2014, 01:42 PM
Jamie

vCash: 500
Rumors and Proposals Thread

I think MacT does what the Oilers have promised to do for years and make a real splash. He will trade Yakupov for Marleau and Boyle. And that's coming from A Yak fan that hopes he doesn't get dealt, but that is what's gonna happen. I see it. Maybe have to throw in Gagner and add Irwin to the package. But something like that is what's goin down. Yo.

Old
05-05-2014, 01:47 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I think MacT does what the Oilers have promised to do for years and make a real splash. He will trade Yakupov for Marleau and Boyle. And that's coming from A Yak fan that hopes he doesn't get dealt, but that is what's gonna happen. I see it. Maybe have to throw in Gagner and add Irwin to the package. But something like that is what's goin down. Yo.
Boyle is a free agent and the sharks wouldn't touch marleau for Yak not with a 10' pole.

Old
05-05-2014, 01:48 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Boyle is a free agent and the sharks wouldn't touch marleau for Yak not with a 10' pole.
I don't think it would be smart from the Oilers POV either ... Marleau is turning 35, we need someone more in the age range of our group if we're dealing away a 20-year-old 1st overall pick.

Old
05-05-2014, 02:54 PM
McShogun99

Breaking news for Oiler fans. EA sports has announced that NHL 15 will have new toe drags!

Old
05-05-2014, 03:57 PM
fearthetrap

Mikko Koivu to Edmonton

Wild fan here. Watching the playoffs I think the Wild need more speed and skill. I also watched some Edmonton games and I think they need some Veteran leadership. I was wondering if there is a deal we could make around:

Wild sends

Mikko Koivu
Jared Spurgeon
+

Edmonton sends

RNH

I am really just trying to look for value, and to hear what Edmonton fans think. I am thinking the plus is fairly big for the Wild and I know that the contracts between Koivu and RNH are about a mil apart. Thanks for any feedback.

Old
05-05-2014, 04:03 PM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearthetrap View Post
Wild fan here. Watching the playoffs I think the Wild need more speed and skill. I also watched some Edmonton games and I think they need some Veteran leadership. I was wondering if there is a deal we could make around:

Wild sends

Mikko Koivu
Jared Spurgeon
+

Edmonton sends

RNH

I am really just trying to look for value, and to hear what Edmonton fans think. I am thinking the plus is fairly big for the Wild and I know that the contracts between Koivu and RNH are about a mil apart. Thanks for any feedback.
Value could be close but if were moving RNH its for a dman. Maybe something around Brodin and Koivu for RNH might make sense but I dunno.

Old
05-05-2014, 04:10 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

Koivu is exactly the kind of player the Oilers need. I just have no idea how anyone could think the Wild would trade him though.

With that said, I can't see Edmonton giving up Nuge to get him either.

05-05-2014, 04:11 PM
fearthetrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Value could be close but if were moving RNH its for a dman. Maybe something around Brodin and Koivu for RNH might make sense but I dunno.
I think we see Brodin and Suter as our pairing for the next 13 years. I definitely see why Edmonton would want him. I am just not sure we would be willing to let him go. I think the Wild management would rather trade future picks than current prospects. Definitely have to give value to get value.

Other question would be if Edmonton fans are interested in Mikko.

Old
05-05-2014, 04:15 PM
Oil In My Veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I beg to differ, who exactly would play centre then?

Old
05-05-2014, 04:16 PM
Soundwave

Hall-RNH-Eberle

Is the only thing the Oilers have aside from Perron that actually worked out well for them last year, so I wouldn't trade that away unless it was massive overpayment.

RNH is probably good for 65 points next year if he plays the entire year with Eberle/Hall.

The second line center thing honestly isn't as pressing of a need in the big picture if we get one of Reinhart/Bennett/Draistal with our pick, which is pretty much a lock.

RNH + one of those guys to build down the middle should be a decent core going forward.

I have to be honest too -- there's pretty much no 30+ year old player I would trade any of the three kids for. Fact is most NHLers decline after age 32 (forwards anyway), in the long term I don't think such a deal would work out for us.

Old
05-05-2014, 04:16 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I beg to differ, who exactly would play centre then?
Hall+ for Couturier, obviously.

Old
05-05-2014, 04:21 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Is the only thing the Oilers have aside from Perron that actually worked out well for them last year, so I wouldn't trade that away unless it was massive overpayment.

RNH is probably good for 65 points next year if he plays the entire year with Eberle/Hall.

The second line center thing honestly isn't as pressing of a need in the big picture if we get one of Reinhart/Bennett/Draistal with our pick, which is pretty much a lock.

RNH + one of those guys to build down the middle should be a decent core going forward.

I have to be honest too -- there's pretty much no 30+ year old player I would trade any of the three kids for. Fact is most NHLers decline after age 32 (forwards anyway), in the long term I don't think such a deal would work out for us.

RNH + one of thsoe guys down the middle should be a decent core in 3 years. Not next season. The Oilers can't continue just blowing years off waiting for things to come together with more young guys. 2nd line center absolutely is an issue for next year and the year after at minimum.

The management of this team needs to be trying to make the playoffs next year. That has to be goal and anything short of that has to be seen as a failure. RNH + Gagner doesn't work. That is an undeniable truth at this point. Something else needs to be done.

Old
05-05-2014, 04:22 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
RNH + one of thsoe guys down the middle should be a decent core in 3 years. Not next season. The Oilers can't continue just blowing years off waiting for things to come together with more young guys. 2nd line center absolutely is an issue for next year and the year after at minimum.

The management of this team needs to be trying to make the playoffs next year. That has to be goal and anything short of that has to be seen as a failure.
They're not making the playoffs next year, barring a miracle.

The goal next year is to simply be better than this year, hopefully in a pronounced way.

The year after next season is when it will be time for Hall and company to step up and lead the team to the next level.

The Oilers have no choice but to stay the course IMO, I think Yakupov is the one guy they are willing to move though, but even there IMO he would be dealt for a guy like Tyler Myers or Adam Larsson, not a 30+ year old player.

Old
05-05-2014, 04:34 PM
Joey McMoss
5-14-6-1

vCash: 815
Dear god that would be so bad.. Marleau is going to be 35 next year and hasn't won a thing in his NHL career. Boyle is going to be 38 and is a UFA. Not to mention Marleau (LW) isn't needed. I do think MacTavish is going to make a splash also but I hope he's smart enough to realize trading a 20 year old 1st overall pick for anyone over 32 probably isn't going to work out.

Old
05-05-2014, 04:34 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
They're not making the playoffs next year, barring a miracle.

The goal next year is to simply be better than this year, hopefully in a pronounced way.

The year after next season is when it will be time for Hall and company to step up and lead the team to the next level.

The Oilers have no choice but to stay the course IMO, I think Yakupov is the one guy they are willing to move though, but even there IMO he would be dealt for a guy like Tyler Myers or Adam Larsson, not a 30+ year old player.

Forgive me, but **** no. ****. NO. Every single year the Oilers are crap and every single year in the summer the goal is just to get a bit better. That plan has been an unmitigated disaster. No more waiting for the kids to figure it out, no more being a playoff team 2 years down the line.

Teams manage to turn it around every year. The Oilers need to be one of those teams.
This season:
Colorado 29th to 3rd
Tampa Bay 28th to 8th
Last season:
Columbus 30th to 17th (tied for 8th in West, missed out on playoffs on tie breaker)
Montreal 28th to 4th
Islanders 27th to 16th
Toronto 26th to 9th
Anaheim 25th to 3rd

It happens. On a regular basis. The Oilers have to be a team that makes it happen. Or at the very least try to make it happen. Otherwise they are just wasting all of our time.

Old
05-05-2014, 04:38 PM
Joey McMoss
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Really? I would think trading a guy who has 2 (and that might be generous) good seasons left in him for a 20 year old 1st overall pick just coming around would be pretty damn good. Doug Wilson would drive Marleau to Edmonton himself if he pulled that one off.

Old
05-05-2014, 04:57 PM
McManningite

Quote:
Forgive me, but **** no. ****. NO. Every single year the Oilers are crap and every single year in the summer the goal is just to get a bit better. That plan has been an unmitigated disaster. No more waiting for the kids to figure it out, no more being a playoff team 2 years down the line.

Teams manage to turn it around every year. The Oilers need to be one of those teams.
This season:
Colorado 29th to 3rd
Tampa Bay 28th to 8th
Last season:
Columbus 30th to 17th (tied for 8th in West, missed out on playoffs on tie breaker)
Montreal 28th to 4th
Islanders 27th to 16th
Toronto 26th to 9th
Anaheim 25th to 3rd

It happens. On a regular basis. The Oilers have to be a team that makes it happen. Or at the very least try to make it happen. Otherwise they are just wasting all of our time.

I'm pretty sure none of those teams sent away their young core to make that happen.

Old
05-05-2014, 05:02 PM
Jamie

If one was available, who would be preferred between Couture or Pavelski? Marleau or Thornton?

Which free agent dman would thee pick: Boyle, Timonen, Pitkanen, Markov, Meszaros, Zidlicky or other? Are any more likely to sign in Edmonton than others?

Any chance we can lure Stastny in? He's been one of my faves for many years now. I think he'd look real good as a top 6, multi-use center for us (which I guess is kind of obvious).

B Boyle, Goc or Fiddler to improve the 3rd line? Is Ott an option? Will probably get more than he deserves.

Anyone else worth bringing in that is known to be available? Free agents or otherwise.

Old
05-05-2014, 05:06 PM
McGhostbuster
Who ya gonna call?

Quote:
If one was available, who would be preferred between Couture or Pavelski? Marleau or Thornton?

Which free agent dman would thee pick: Boyle, Timonen, Pitkanen, Markov, Meszaros, Zidlicky or other? Are any more likely to sign in Edmonton than others?

Any chance we can lure Stastny in? He's been one of my faves for many years now. I think he'd look real good as a top 6, multi-use center for us (which I guess is kind of obvious).

B Boyle, Goc or Fiddler to improve the 3rd line? Is Ott an option? Will probably get more than he deserves.

Anyone else worth bringing in that is known to be available? Free agents or otherwise.
I'd probably take Couture of the 4. Best combination of youth and talent.

As for the D. Markov wouldn't be bad. I think we're in the running for Matt Greene as well.

No, Stastny ends up in St. Louis once they get rid of Roy.

Fiddler. Local boy and agitates.

Old
05-05-2014, 05:10 PM
Paralyzer008

Kevin Kurz is saying the Sharks should explore dealing Brent Burns

Oilers should be on that in a second if he hits the trade market.

Old
05-05-2014, 05:17 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Kevin Kurz is saying the Sharks should explore dealing Brent Burns

Oilers should be on that in a second if he hits the trade market.
We should be in a lot of deals but sadly ever year we get some obscure project and hinge our hopes on him

Old
05-05-2014, 05:19 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

Quote:
Marleau and Thornton have NMC.

I seriously doubt they trade Pavelski or Couture.

SJ are going to make improvements by upgrading goaltending and defense.

Old
05-05-2014, 06:01 PM
Kyle VanEdmonton

Quote:

This season:
Colorado 29th to 3rd
Tampa Bay 28th to 8th
Last season:
Montreal 28th to 4th
Islanders 27th to 16th
Toronto 26th to 9th
Anaheim 25th to 3rd

Agreed and I think just the goaltending situation alone is going to make a HUGE difference. Let alone any other progress made by MacT

Old
05-05-2014, 07:11 PM
Joey McMoss
5-14-6-1

Quote:
If one was available, who would be preferred between Couture or Pavelski? Marleau or Thornton? Couture, Thornton, Pavelski, Marleau in that order.

Which free agent dman would thee pick: Boyle, Timonen, Pitkanen, Markov, Meszaros, Zidlicky or other? Are any more likely to sign in Edmonton than others? Markov

Any chance we can lure Stastny in? He's been one of my faves for many years now. I think he'd look real good as a top 6, multi-use center for us (which I guess is kind of obvious). No. Not even worth discussing. I lol everytime I see someone pencil him into next years lineup.

B Boyle, Goc or Fiddler to improve the 3rd line? Is Ott an option? Will probably get more than he deserves. Ott would be great, but expensive. I'm not sure any of those players are great third liners but I would take a look at Boyle.

In UFA any effective bottom 6'er. I actually think it's our biggest priority to improve this summer. I hope MacT will land at least one of the bigger bottom 6 names + another bottom 6'er. Something like one of Ott, Setoguchi, Kulemin + one of Downie, Raymond, Stempniak, Moss, Winnik, B. Boyle, B. Pouliot, Comeau and I will be satisfied.

By my count, 4 new faces in the bottom 8 are needed.

XXXXXX - XXXXXX - XXXXXX
Hendricks - Gordon - XXXXXX/Gazdic
Gazdic/XXXXXX - Joensuu

The Gagner deal, and our draft pick will factor in what happens with the bottom 8 but at least two bottom 6 names that can provide some secondary scoring are needed in Free Agency IMO.

To add to this, we can get away with Arcobello as our #2 center as long as the bottom 6 can chip in..

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Perron - Arcobello - Yakupov
Pouliot - Bennett - Setoguchi
Hendricks - Gordon - Comeau
Gazdic - Joensuu

Just an example.. that forward core is much better. We won't be leaning on one line constantly if MacT can accomplish something like this.

Last edited by Joey McMoss: 05-05-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old
05-05-2014, 07:24 PM
McManningite

MacT gave the impression that he would go after a #1 or #2 D and then fill in our bottom 6 with more capable people.

I don't think we need a blockbuster deal to be 10 times better than last year. Just need to be healthy out the gate. Ride the natural progression of our young D and get responsible players capable of scoring in the bottom 6.

Closed Thread