HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues Trade Proposals Part XI

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2014, 12:25 PM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

vCash: 500
If we're trading for a center, we should be trading for a younger guy like Kadri or Stepan.

Old
05-13-2014, 12:28 PM
Dbrownss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daley Tarasenkshow View Post
Skinner can very well play center as well. He's played both.
Ah, I've read he was best suited for wing

Old
05-13-2014, 12:40 PM
Alklha

After the Miller trade, the prospect of trading for Spezza genuinely scares the **** out of me.

I suppose if Spezza is willing to sign a Bouwmeester type extension (5 x $5.5m) as soon as a trade goes down and we can get him for something like Berglund, Polįk & picks then great. Absolutely no interest in moving Shattenkirk for him, and given that the Senators control this situation then that is what it will probably take.

Stastny has to be the focus, then Grabovski. If we have to enter the trade market then I hope it is for a Stepan or Kadri. I think we'll all be left very annoyed if we do see a trade for the likes of Spezza, Kesler or Eric Staal.

Old
05-13-2014, 01:17 PM
Boombox Generation
jersey snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Not sure if it's cute or adorable that some Sens fans think they'll get Schwartz, Oshie, or Shattenkirk.
It's the Miller trade talk all over again.

Gotta love the main boards.

Old
05-13-2014, 02:20 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
If we're trading for a center, we should be trading for a younger guy like Kadri or Stepan.
The problem with that is those teams will need a good center to replace them so it seems less likely.

I have interest in Spezza. Just don't want to give up too much.

Old
05-13-2014, 03:43 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
It's the Miller trade talk all over again.

Gotta love the main boards.
Flame fans were insistent that Sven made Rattie, Buffalo fans were insistent that Miller would guarantee us the world, and Ottawa fans over-exaggerate everything and think Spezza will return something huge.

Old
05-13-2014, 03:45 PM
Majorityof1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimoodia View Post
Okay.
What the devil would you sign with this extra money? As wonderful as additional scoring depth would be, it'll be wasted on a third line. Unless the Blues sign Vanek nobody is getting displaced in the top 6.
Currently the defense is an enormous percentage of the total team budget. And this year proved pretty nicely that acquiring that magical "stud" goalie doesn't always work out.

The Blues biggest need, by far, is a #1 or very good #2 center. And you want to get an average #2 or good #3 and spend money elsewhere.
Or in the case of Cammer, not even a center at all.
I'd spend the money on a third line winger who can shift to center. We need someone in case of injuries to slot up. Sobotka as second line center and Ott as first line did not work out for us. If we sign one center, we are one injury to being in the same boat as before. We need more depth to both provide secondary scoring and scoring depth in case of injury. I'd also like a puck moving D. If we insist on running our offense through the point, I'd at least like a D that can hit the net. I am also sick of the Polak/Jackman pairing. Since Hitch refuses to play Cole, it would be nice to have a 3rd pairing D who can skate and pass rather than Jackman/Polak and to play the 2nd PP.

People are arguing for Kadri who has not proven himself capable of being a number 1 center. He is 2nd line center to Bozak who is far from a great #1. Stepan disappears in the playoffs. Pavelski and Thornton who have been proven number 1s also choke badly in the playoffs. Kessler is a defensive center that hasn't played great offensive hockey in a few seasons and seems to be going down hill. Spezza is a black hole defensively worse than any we have ever seen in St. Louis. So much so he is taking the blame for Ottawa missing the playoffs and they are looking to dump him when they are not in a rebuild. So the potential trade options are not sure fire hits either. Well, I'd say Pavelski is but would cost us a ton. There are reasons these guys are on the trading block. They have not worked for their teams. Why are they sure fire fixes to ours?

The UFA guys I mentioned have all been first liners. They all have skill. Given the right situation, linemates and offensive freedom, they have the ability to put up big numbers. Cammalleri is a multiple 30 goal scorer and can play center. Legwand has spent his whole career as a defensive center with weak wings yet still puts up decent numbers. Backes will relieve defensive pressure and the kids are better than anyone he has ever had. I am confident he would have his best offensive season. Grabovski was misused in Toronto and hurt in Washington.

If we trade for a 70 point C by giving up a 50 point D when we only have a 20 point D to replace him, the net gain is 40. If we sign a 50 point D, we gain 50 points. The center is not as good, but our team as a whole is better.

Old
05-13-2014, 03:49 PM
Majorityof1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daley Tarasenkshow View Post
Skinner can very well play center as well. He's played both.
He can play center. He is still a sniper though when playing center. He is not a playmaker. His lack of playmaking skills is why he is a much better wing. He's a great player. I'd love a guy like him on the Blues. However, I wouldn't pay what it would take to get him in order to shift him to his worst position.

Old
05-13-2014, 03:55 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Skinner also doesn't put much effort in defensively. He'd be a winger here.

Old
05-13-2014, 04:03 PM
Majorityof1

Quote:
Flame fans were insistent that Sven made Rattie, Buffalo fans were insistent that Miller would guarantee us the world, and Ottawa fans over-exaggerate everything and think Spezza will return something huge.
An Ottawa beat writer tweeted that he thinks the Sens are looking for rental price for Spezza. Not like last year's rentals. He says a NHL ready player, a prospect and a first. So that would be Berglund, Rattie and a first. They might want better than Bergy though.

Here's the tweet: Tweet

A Canadian hockey blogger quotes Canadian hockey analyst Nick Kypreos as saying the Sens are looking for a big return. What that means is debatable. I hate tweets. He could have explained that if he had more than 144 characters. Point being, they are not just "giving Spezza away" as some people think. Here's the tweet: Big Return Tweet

Last edited by Majorityof1: 05-13-2014 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Edited to fix link
Old
05-13-2014, 05:04 PM
ExJbeck

That would be another epic failure trade by Army, he literally can't afford to do something that dumb.

Old
05-13-2014, 05:20 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Big "no thanks" to giving up anything of value for Spezza.

Old
05-13-2014, 05:24 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

That Spezza thread is a train-wreck. They bring up the Kovy trade and then I show that what the equivalent would be.

Old
05-13-2014, 07:31 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Big "no thanks" to giving up anything of value for Spezza.
My opinion as well. Spezza's injury history and age have me not willing to give up anything for him. If he was an UFA then sure i'd be ok with signing him but not willing to trade for him.

Old
05-13-2014, 07:33 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
My opinion as well. Spezza's injury history and age have me not willing to give up anything for him. If he was an UFA then sure i'd be ok with signing him but not willing to trade for him.
I've learned that Spezza isn't injury prone, is fully healed, and his injuries won't linger, so yeah that main tread is a train-wreck.

Old
05-13-2014, 08:11 PM
Boombox Generation
jersey snob

Quote:
I've learned that Spezza isn't injury prone, is fully healed, and his injuries won't linger, so yeah that main tread is a train-wreck.
Don't forget that we have to give up one of Schwartz/Oshie + Shattenkirk + prospect in order to have a shot at him.

Old
05-13-2014, 08:14 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

And I thought Buffalo fans were bad.

Old
05-13-2014, 11:57 PM
Bluesman91

I know Armstrong doesn't have the balls to pull off a deal but if Malkin were available, what would you be willing to give up to get him? As much as I love Petro, I'd still send him off and have JBo as our #1 and Shattenkirk as our #2 if it meant getting Malkin. He's an obvious playoff performer and the 2nd best player in the world.

Old
05-14-2014, 12:04 AM
Boombox Generation
jersey snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
I know Armstrong doesn't have the balls to pull off a deal but if Malkin were available, what would you be willing to give up to get him? As much as I love Petro, I'd still send him off and have JBo as our #1 and Shattenkirk as our #2 if it meant getting Malkin. He's an obvious playoff performer and the 2nd best player in the world.
Without a doubt it would be Petro ++. It depends on what the ++ is.

As you said we're talking about the 2nd best player in the world. I own a Pens Malkin jersey. I'd love to have a Blues one.

Old
05-14-2014, 12:06 AM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

Trading for Malkin wouldn't even remotely be worth what we'd have to give up. We'd gut the team. It'd either be Petro + or something like Backes+Tarasenko/Schwartz+. Not interested in either of those whatsoever.

Old
05-14-2014, 03:25 AM
LongLiveTheNote
#LGB

Depending on what the plus would be, but I'd give up Petro in a heartbeat to get Malkin.

Old
05-14-2014, 08:18 AM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveTheNote View Post
Depending on what the plus would be, but I'd give up Petro in a heartbeat to get Malkin.
Who takes over on defense? Please don't say Shattenkirk, because we all know he couldn't handle Pietrangelo's defensive load.

Old
05-14-2014, 09:54 AM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

This team can't afford to trade Petro. As simple as that.

Old
05-14-2014, 03:13 PM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

Dear lord those sens fans on the main board are delusional. Oshie for an injury prone, pending UFA. Are you ****ing kidding me?

Old
05-14-2014, 03:34 PM
BlueDream

I'd absolutely give up Petro for Malkin. Anyone who wouldn't, I would question their sanity. Malkin would help this team win so much more than Petro it's not close.

Don't think that'd be a good idea for Pittsburgh though, it just won't happen.

Closed Thread