Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets on TSN

Old
05-06-2014, 09:46 AM
poltRgYst

vCash: 500
Jets on TSN

TSN will announce 3 new channels today. My question is, will there still be a TSN:Winnipeg Jets Channel this year and going forward at a monthly fee or will TSN move the channel into one of its new tiers FREE to subscribers in the viewing region kinda like Sportsnet does. TSN did announce that 52 Ottawa Senator games would be included within the new 5 channel package but made no mention of Winnipeg Jet games.

poltRgYst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 09:48 AM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
The End Of TSN Jets?

http://bellmediapr.ca/Network/TSN/Pr...ts-More-Choice

Quote:
To be branded TSN1, TSN2, TSN3, TSN4, and TSN5, all five TSN feeds will be available this fall. All TSN feeds will also be available to subscribers both online and through mobile devices via TSN GO. Further details, including information about participating TV service providers and channel placements, will be announced in the lead up to the launch.
Quote:
NHL hockey – including 26 Toronto Maple Leafs games, 52 Ottawa Senators games, as well as pre-season games (available on a regional basis), plus local hockey programming generated by production expansion at TSN Radio stations in Toronto, Ottawa, Montréal, Winnipeg and Edmonton
Question not answered: Will there be extra cost for the new channels?

Aavco Cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 10:00 AM
Edgar Halliwax
aka Marvin Candle

I've got bad feeling that those of us on basic cable who add the Jets channel for the winter will be forced to upgrade their cable package to watch Jets games next year - pay more and get a bunch of channels we have no desire to watch.

I used to subscribe to everything, but now with Netflix, all I need is basic cable with the Jets add-on for the winter.

Edgar Halliwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 10:10 AM
CorgisPer60
Barking at the net

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycrackcorn View Post
I've got bad feeling that those of us on basic cable who add the Jets channel for the winter will be forced to upgrade their cable package to watch Jets games next year - pay more and get a bunch of channels we have no desire to watch.

I used to subscribe to everything, but now with Netflix, all I need is basic cable with the Jets add-on for the winter.
Basic cable knocked $26 off my cable + internet bill, and my provider doesn't have TSN-Jets. I'm going to wait and see what happens, but what I'll likely end up doing is getting a GCL subscription and finding a free VPN to pretend I'm from an out-of-market area.

CorgisPer60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 10:42 AM
SensibleGuy

Well as a cable subscriber already, I'd love for the jets to be included rather than having to pay extra for it.

SensibleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 11:01 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 117
The press release only mentions Leafs and Sens games on these channels. I'm thinking we're gonna get stuck with TSN Jets. I'd far prefer to pay for a channel that airs programming outside of just Jets games then the $10 a month for TSN Jets.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 11:40 AM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

I thought that beginning next season Sportsnet was the only channel able to broadcast NHL games nationally.

Wouldn't that force TSN to blackout all games not in the Winnipeg region?

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 11:49 AM
NorthStar

That would be interesting to see.. I would love to find out if I can still order TSN Jets for the 20-14/15 season.. also wonder if the new TSN channels would also air some AHL games and maybe more junior hockey games?? That would be a hoot..

NorthStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 11:55 AM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
I thought that beginning next season Sportsnet was the only channel able to broadcast NHL games nationally.

They just have rights to the national games and I think its based on the day of the week the games air. So all of the regional platforms should still exist, they just may have to schedule around the national days.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 12:10 PM
Aavco Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post

Sportsnet does this now with their regionalFlames and Oiler games. They are blacked out here and we watch alternate programming.

If the Jets game is broadcast on TSN 3 for instance, people outside the Jets region would see a different program or a black screen.

Old
05-06-2014, 02:19 PM
BigZ65

11 channels between Sportsnet and TSN...at least we'll always be able to find a poker game or lumberjack competition.

BigZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 03:01 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
Sportsnet does this now with their regionalFlames and Oiler games. They are blacked out here and we watch alternate programming.

If the Jets game is broadcast on TSN 3 for instance, people outside the Jets region would see a different program or a black screen.

That's what I thought, thanks!

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 03:29 PM
broinwhyteridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ65 View Post
11 channels between Sportsnet and TSN...at least we'll always be able to find a poker game or lumberjack competition.
Or World's Strongest Behemoth or Red Bull Flying. High quality stuff there.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 07:35 PM
Gil Fisher

Apparently TSN Jets remains for now, but it sounds like they'll try to negotiate a new package with all parties - TNSE, Bell, MTS, Shaw - to get them on one of the TSN Five.

Gil Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 07:46 PM
Aavco Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Fisher View Post
Apparently TSN Jets remains for now, but it sounds like they'll try to negotiate a new package with all parties - TNSE, Bell, MTS, Shaw - to get them on one of the TSN Five.
Link?

Old
05-06-2014, 07:50 PM
allan5oh
Has prospect fever

vCash: 82
Grindphoning it up again

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 12:58 AM
Jetsfan79

Just heard Steve Kouleas on "Thats Hockey" say 58 Jets games will be serviced within the 5 TSN feeds. If true I guess that means it's the end of TSN Jets. Unless he meant the TSN overall umbrella but since he mentioned the Jets games (along with the other regional games - Leafs and Sens) in direct association with reporting on the new channels, it sounded like the Jets would be covered within the 5 channel group and not it's own separate channel.

Last edited by Jetsfan79: 05-07-2014 at 01:29 AM.
Jetsfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 06:30 AM
King Woodballs

vCash: 375
if thats the case, it will be pretty similar to the sportsnet setup.
the channel will be national, and the games that get shown will only be seen in that specific market, and blacked out everywhere else.

I wonder what it means, in terms of cost.
I don't see how it could be 10 bucks a month. However, I could see it as you needed to subscribe to the channel whole package to get the channels/games.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 09:57 AM
SCP Guy

I'm sure if Jets games move to TSN 5 then our cable bills will go up $10 a month but it will be for the entire year instead of just during the season because of all the "quality" programming they will offer all year round........so your $70 for Jets TV just turned into $120 a year for TSN 3-5.

SCP Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 10:10 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
I'm sure if Jets games move to TSN 5 then our cable bills will go up $10 a month but it will be for the entire year instead of just during the season because of all the "quality" programming they will offer all year round........so your $70 for Jets TV just turned into $120 a year for TSN 3-5.
I'd take that trade off to be honest. At least you get round the clock programming on the other channels. I'm always up for some more Aussie rules football.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 10:14 AM
Aavco Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
Well you could just cancel it every April for the same cost in that case. More likely the channels will be part of the sports bundle which will be fine if you already have it but not so fine if you have bare bones cable.

Old
05-07-2014, 10:58 AM
SCP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
Well you could just cancel it every April for the same cost in that case. More likely the channels will be part of the sports bundle which will be fine if you already have it but not so fine if you have bare bones cable.
Yeah they will prob bump TSN off the basic cable list and have all 5 as an add on.

SCP Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 11:19 AM
Jetsfan79

The only thing I'm worried about if the Jets games move to the TSN 5 is this: No more pre and post game shows. I would hate it if they end the broadcast seconds after the game ends to rush into Sportscentre or show some alternate curling/Tennis feed. If the integrity of the production is not affected, than I'm all for it.

My dream scenario would be an extended post game show. As soon as the Maurice press conference is over, we would get a live video feed/simulcast with TSN 1290. That would be truly awesome. A 2 hour postgame show. I also would love to see a Jets documentary show similar to "Oil Change". But if all we get is what we get now, I'm good with it.

Jetsfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 01:10 AM
Koonta
The Boss Wears White

Under this scenario where the Jets games will be on one of the 5 TSN channels,I wonder if will there be regular visits from a panel like they have currently for the national games. Perhaps the panel will over see all the regional games and appear in the respective intermissions, What else will Duthie and the boys be up to next year? I wouldn't want to be short changed out of a pre or post game show either and would like the Q and Eh feature to continue but could do without Lawless and Order

Koonta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 02:23 AM
ediger

vCash: 1125
even if the TSN 5 pack costs the same as the Sportsnet pack (6 bucks on MTS), that's still cheaper than TSN Jets. As long as I don't end up paying more, I'm ok.

edit: although I guess TSN Jets is only part of the year.

ediger is offline   Reply With Quote