Jets on TSN

Old
05-08-2014, 08:38 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

vCash: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by ediger View Post
even if the TSN 5 pack costs the same as the Sportsnet pack (6 bucks on MTS), that's still cheaper than TSN Jets. As long as I don't end up paying more, I'm ok.

edit: although I guess TSN Jets is only part of the year.
The Shaw sports pack includes the other Sportsnet channels and TSN2. We'll have to wait and see if they will charge more for a couple of channels which will not have much more content. My guess is the new package would be cheaper than TSN Jets, if in fact TSN Jets is cancelled.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 09:00 AM
Gil Fisher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
Link?
No link. The President of TSN was on H&L and indicated that they'd have discussions with all parties to see if something could be worked out.

Gil Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 09:19 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Fisher View Post
No link. The President of TSN was on H&L and indicated that they'd have discussions with all parties to see if something could be worked out.
I assume it would only be a benefit for TNSE. They have a deal with Bell regardless. So how the games are delivered doesn't affect them. It would likely be a benefit going to a regular TSN channel. Probably more people would be receiving those channels then subscribe to TSN Jets. More viewers of their product.

I guess Shaw/MTS might be the only issue. Depending on how profitable TSN Jets is for them.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 12:05 PM
Genova

Quote:
To be branded TSN1, TSN2, TSN3, TSN4, and TSN5, all five TSN feeds will be available this fall. All TSN feeds will also be available to subscribers both online and through mobile devices via TSN GO. Further details, including information about participating TV service providers and channel placements, will be announced in the lead up to the launch.
More sports to distract the masses.

Genova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 12:57 PM
drumzan
#NHLJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I assume it would only be a benefit for TNSE. They have a deal with Bell regardless. So how the games are delivered doesn't affect them. It would likely be a benefit going to a regular TSN channel. Probably more people would be receiving those channels then subscribe to TSN Jets. More viewers of their product.

I guess Shaw/MTS might be the only issue. Depending on how profitable TSN Jets is for them.
If I remember correctly, I think I recall reading that SHAW and MTS both lose money. Bell charged a fortune for the rights and SHAW/MTS had no choice but to pay...otherwise Bell satellite would be the only way to get TSN jets.

drumzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 01:35 PM
Matthew McConaughey
Hold the phone

Don't want to hijack this thread, but it is somewhat relevant. Can someone PM me with websites where I can watch games online for free? I am cancelling my cable shortly and will not have access to any traditional TV.

Thanks.

Matthew McConaughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2014, 10:14 PM
bodybreak
Whiteshell Wild

vCash: 720
My theory is that TSN 3, 4 and 5 are created using the three existing, but little/never used TSN Habs, TSN Jets and TSN-ALT (which I thought became TSN2, but maybe not, as it is still listed separately in some guides). Personally, I don't see TSN Habs or TSN-ALT in my guide.

It will be interesting to see if companies re-map their channels to put the 5 TSNs together... I have Shaw Direct, and the way the channels are organized now, they don't have room in their Sports block to add three more TSNs without making changes to channel numbers, so expect that to happen for them.

TSN & TSN 2 are together right now, followed by the 6 Sportsnets (including Sportsnet 360, formerly The Score), then Golf, Speed, NBA, Big Ten, another 4 Sportsnet channels (where select Flames, Canucks, Oilers and Sens games would broadcast, and you could only access if you purchased Sportsnet One), then TSN Jets, oh yeah, and another two sports channels, which occasionally air things like HNIC Punjabi and Shaw-produced WHL games. There are also some channels farther away that are the Big Ten and NBA's version of Centre Ice All that comes in the basic HD Sports package! (NHL and NFL shows up too if you subscribe to them).

bodybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 10:11 AM
Gnova
CowboysR^2

vCash: 50
Have there been any updates to this story?
I'm currently stuck with a cable provider who doesn't have TSN Jets rights.

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 10:13 AM
wpgsilver

No reason to believe this is the case.

06-27-2014, 10:18 AM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
The press release only mentions Leafs and Sens games on these channels. I'm thinking we're gonna get stuck with TSN Jets. I'd far prefer to pay for a channel that airs programming outside of just Jets games then the $10 a month for TSN Jets.
If you get more it will cost you more and I'm betting that most of the 'more' will either be stuff you are not interested in or stuff that you already get. I'm happy with TSN Jets, thank you very much, although Beyak is annoying.

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 10:24 AM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnova View Post
Have there been any updates to this story?
I'm currently stuck with a cable provider who doesn't have TSN Jets rights.
Haven't heard anything new. TSN Jets was created because they needed it. (Only 2 channels and a national NHL TV package) With 5 channels they no longer need TSN Jets but it's not clear what if any contractual issues need to be crossed before they move The Jets games onto the new platform and eliminate TSN Jets as we know it. It's also not clear what if any new charges will appear from the addition of the 3 new TSN channels.

Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 10:29 AM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
if thats the case, it will be pretty similar to the sportsnet setup.
the channel will be national, and the games that get shown will only be seen in that specific market, and blacked out everywhere else.

I wonder what it means, in terms of cost.
I don't see how it could be 10 bucks a month. However, I could see it as you needed to subscribe to the channel whole package to get the channels/games.
I hate the way SN does it now. Channel works, channel doesn't work, 5 channels showing only 2 different shows. I'm a linear thinker. I NEED order. Their helter-skelter, all over the map programming drives me crazy. It sounds like a 5 channel package that you would be expected to subscribe to year round and probably cost more.

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 10:39 AM
wpgsilver

The new deal was for national rights. There is no reason that the multi year deal the jets signed with tsn would be effected.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 10:58 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
The new deal was for national rights. There is no reason that the multi year deal the jets signed with tsn would be effected.
This discussion has nothing to do with national rights. Bell owns the Jets regional rights and have been airing those games on a specialty channel TSN Jets. Bell has announced they are introducing 3 more TSN channels for a total of 5 TSN Channels. They have also annoucned their recently acquired Senators local rights in addition to their share of the Leafs local rights will air on one of these new TSN channels (blacked out, outside the local region). Much how sportsnet treats its regional deals, the games are aired ona nationally available channel but blacked out in non-local regions. That opens up the question if Bell will decide to scrap TSN Jets and treat the Jets regional rights similarily. Airing the Jets games locally on one of the 5 TSN channels. Potentially saving Jets fans on cable bills (if the new channels require less money than TSN Jets does).

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 10:59 AM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
The deal is with Bell media and has nothing to do with national rights. It's whether bell continues to put the Jets games on a separate channel or shows them on one of TSN TSN2 TSN3 TSN4 or TSN5. The fact that TSN doesn't have a national deal is what is driving it.

Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 11:05 AM
wpgsilver

I see. I thought you were asking if tsn would lose the rights, not if the channel would change.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 11:44 AM
Gnova
CowboysR^2

I have zero issues with paying more to get the extra tsn channels if they show Jets games.
If they move to this format Bell won't be able to basically exclude smaller cable providers from being able to offer the channel.
The Jets really shouldn't be happy about Westman not being able to secure rights to TSN Jets and therefore missing out on improving their fan base with their customers. The new car smell has disappeared from the Jets in Manitoba.
I'm finding that in Parkland someone saying they are a Jets fan is an exception, not a rule.

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 01:07 PM
PerryPooley

I just want to watch Jets games. No hassle please.

PerryPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 04:17 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

vCash: 525
I am not buying TSN Jets for so long as Pavelec is their goaltender. So it would be good if they were on another TSN channel so I could watch games featuring another goaltender.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 04:57 PM
Edgar Halliwax
aka Marvin Candle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump View Post
Don't want to hijack this thread, but it is somewhat relevant. Can someone PM me with websites where I can watch games online for free? I am cancelling my cable shortly and will not have access to any traditional TV.

Thanks.
Stump, check back in three and a half months.

Edgar Halliwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2014, 06:12 PM
Derfel*
Makes People Angry

vCash: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
I am not buying TSN Jets for so long as Pavelec is their goaltender. So it would be good if they were on another TSN channel so I could watch games featuring another goaltender.
Uh huh. Okay - can we hold you to that?

Derfel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 09:38 PM
Genova

I hope that Sporsnet's national coverage is a success.

Genova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 11:27 AM
Bartho

TSN Jets will now be $12 a month on MTS. Early bird is $10 (prior to Sept 30th).

Bartho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 11:46 AM
Andy6
Court Jetster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
I am not buying TSN Jets for so long as Pavelec is their goaltender.
What if they win all the games by shutouts? Not even then?

Andy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 12:54 PM
imec

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartho View Post
TSN Jets will now be $12 a month on MTS. Early bird is $10 (prior to Sept 30th).
Can't remember - do I have to sign up again or does it just renew automatically? Thanks

imec is offline   Reply With Quote