Notices

Jets on TSN

Old
07-23-2014, 01:26 PM
Curt in WPG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Chuck View Post
I can't imagine not watching every game! I'm one of those that will pay whatever they want for access to every Jets game.

Signed, The sucker.

I can't either, I just thought we'd be getting coverage on TSN5 this season. As long as we have a pre and post game show that focuses on the Jets. It would be nice to have some more programming on the team, even playing old games to fill the dead space on the channel. One fear I do have is the pre- and post game shows will have some version of the TSN panel now they're looking for work that will focus on the Leafs because secretly that's all everyone in the entire country wants to see. <shudder>

It's not the cost of TSN Jets I object to as the team has to make as much money as possible (debt payments on the purchase price must be huge).

Curt in WPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 02:13 PM
Repoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Yup.

Add me to the list of 'suckers'. It's what I can do, along with buying occasional tickets and merch to support the team.

I was here when my heart was ripped out. I longed for the return of the Jets. I will never take them for granted.

Besides, since when was entertainment supposed to be free? I get tons of joy from this team (as frustrated as I might get). I don't mind paying for that. I also realize that we have a smaller revenue stream than other teams so I get why we pay a bit more. I fully accept that as well.

If people think they are being screwed, by all means, don't subscribe. No one is holding a gun to your head.

Exactly how I feel except I was lucky enough to get a few seats on that fateful Saturday morning. Also a note that Jet's get nothing from you subscribing. They get their money from Bell for the rights so regardless if 100,000 people subscribe or 400,000 I don't think it really makes a difference to the Jets (except when it comes time to renew the contract with Bell).

Repoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 02:15 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repoman View Post
Exactly how I feel except I was lucky enough to get a few seats on that fateful Saturday morning. Also a note that Jet's get nothing from you subscribing. They get their money from Bell for the rights so regardless if 100,000 people subscribe or 400,000 I don't think it really makes a difference to the Jets (except when it comes time to renew the contract with Bell).
That is everything.

It is super important.

07-23-2014, 09:03 PM
SCP Guy

Quote:
That is everything.

It is super important.
Yup the more bell makes the more our next contract will be worth.

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2014, 12:28 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

vCash: 300
TSN lost the national contract to SN. They will pay whatever it takes to eep the contract. The Jets would do well to seek a deal conistent with the others. Why stick with TSN when they can go to SN and have every game on channel 47?

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2014, 01:10 AM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

Quote:

Besides, since when was entertainment supposed to be free? I get tons of joy from this team (as frustrated as I might get). I don't mind paying for that. I also realize that we have a smaller revenue stream than other teams so I get why we pay a bit more. I fully accept that as well.
Last time I checked my cable with the sports packages was a long way from free.
The Jets remaining on a specialty channel unlike all of the other Canadian teams is going to erode their new fanbase.
For the first seasons people blindly subbed to the channel.
Now we are in a situation where the city has a team that no me expects to make the playoffs plus a new National TV deal that is going to put a LOT of hockey on tv with a heavy leaning towards "Canada's teams" (ie the Leafs and Habs) plus the big draw US teams (Flyers, Pens, Rangers).. People are going to start trickling back to their former favorite teams and those people's kids are going to cheer for what their parents are cheering for.
This is really bad for the retention of the more casual fan and for the ability to create a new generation of Jet fans. We won't see the problem in the next couple years but I'm concerned that eventually we will have a large percentage of fans that really don't care if the Jets are successful or not.
People talk a lot about how the city took the Jets 1.0 for granted but the sad truth is that the majority of Manitobans would not have listed the Jets as their #1 team and the main reason they were upset about the team leaving was that they could no longer go to see a game with their favorite team live.

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2014, 01:15 AM
LadyJet26
Lest We Forget

vCash: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnova View Post
The Jets remaining on a specialty channel unlike all of the other Canadian teams is going to erode their new fanbase.
Now we are in a situation where the city has a team that no me expects to make the playoffs plus a new National TV deal that is going to put a LOT of hockey on tv with a heavy leaning towards "Canada's teams" (ie the Leafs and Habs) plus the big draw US teams (Flyers, Pens, Rangers).. People are going to start trickling back to their former favorite teams and those people's kids are going to cheer for what their parents are cheering for.
This is really bad for the retention of the more casual fan and for the ability to create a new generation of Jet fans. We won't see the problem in the next couple years but I'm concerned that eventually we will have a large percentage of fans that really don't care if the Jets are successful or not.
People talk a lot about how the city took the Jets 1.0 for granted but the sad truth is that the majority of Manitobans would not have listed the Jets as their #1 team and the main reason they were upset about the team leaving was that they could no longer go to see a game with their favorite team live.
Except now the Jets are the majority of people's #1 team. I didn't live here when Jets 1.0 were around so they were never my #1 team. The Canucks were because they went to the finals when I was young. The Jets are my #1 team now because how could they not be? It's infectious being a Jets fan. We're the best fan base in the NHL.

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2014, 01:28 AM
JC Numminen
Global Moderator
The kid is alright!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Yup.

Add me to the list of 'suckers'. It's what I can do, along with buying occasional tickets and merch to support the team.

I was here when my heart was ripped out. I longed for the return of the Jets. I will never take them for granted.

If people think they are being screwed, by all means, don't subscribe. No one is holding a gun to your head.

Yup I'll toss my name on that list as well. I hate it when the team is losing, but I get so much joy just from watching Jets hockey that the next day I am right back in front of the TV.

Cant imagine not being able to tune into each Jets game. I will renew for sure.

JC Numminen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2014, 01:37 AM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Numminen View Post
Yup I'll toss my name on that list as well. I hate it when the team is losing, but I get so much joy just from watching Jets hockey that the next day I am right back in front of the TV.

Cant imagine not being able to tune into each Jets game. I will renew for sure.
Well said. And ditto for me.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2014, 02:25 AM
CBCnutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Jets TV is only for subscribers across Manitoba, Saskatchewan and much of northwestern Ontario.
The Northwest Territories and Nunavut are part of Jets TV too.

CBCnutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2014, 09:16 AM
Jet
Stand by your man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnova View Post
I understand your concern with that but I believe that times have changed when it comes to sports. The time you were talking about, with Jets 1.0 was not a phenomenon that was just affecting the Jets, it was around all Canadian markets (even Edmonton when they were winning those cups to a point). Nowadays you see a real renewal in support for the home team league wide in Canada, and it shows in attendance -- teams sell out even when the Maple Leafs, Habs, and Bruins of the league aren't in town. It shows in merch sales -- look in the stands at a game. It's STUNNING to see how many people are wearing home team merch. Back at the old Winnipeg arena you were considered a superfan if you were wearing merch... especially a Jets jersey. Now, everyone's at least got a hat or a shirt.

Kids don't follow their parents nearly as much. They have access to so many games, so much information on the internet. They have more influence from social and friends.

At the end of the day, the one way to build up your casual fan base is to WIN. Making the games free to see on TV will not help with that.

As for your point about cable and sports packages not being free, I get that (trust me... $150.00 cable bill ) but that is putting a lot less money into the Jets pockets than having a subscription channel. It's part of their business plan and it is part of how they convinced the NHL to let us back in the league. It is part of how we will survive, and it is part of the reason that we aren't a cap floor team.

$12 a month is not too much to ask to support the Winnipeg Jets as a fan, and if I am watching a game for about a buck a shot, I am pretty happy with that.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2014, 10:02 PM
Brian Cadle Fan

I don't care about a lousy 10 or 12 dollars a month if it helps keep a team in the city I love.

It will take many, many years before I use up the money that was returned to me when I tried to donate it to keep the Jets 1.0 here.

I don't give a hoot what is happening in other cities. I don't live there and I don't want to live there.

Brian Cadle Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 12:31 AM
BigZ65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
TSN lost the national contract to SN. They will pay whatever it takes to eep the contract. The Jets would do well to seek a deal conistent with the others. Why stick with TSN when they can go to SN and have every game on channel 47?
Why would the Jets care? They get the same amount of money whether their games are broadcast on channel 290 or channel 13.

BigZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 02:59 AM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ65 View Post
Why would the Jets care? They get the same amount of money whether their games are broadcast on channel 290 or channel 13.
Because their fan base will feel like they are being screwed over when they have to pay more than the fans in other cities for a lesser product.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 07:54 AM
Aavco Cup

Quote:
Because their fan base will feel like they are being screwed over when they have to pay more than the fans in other cities for a lesser product.
You assume that TNSE can actually do something about it. There's a possibility contracts have been signed that preclude and ultimately prevent the changes that Bell media proposed.

Just speculation but if that is the case then your anger is misdirected.

Aavco Cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 08:25 AM
WaveRaven

Didn't Chipman say that they were disappointed about the charge and hoped it could be changed the future ?

I seem to remember that. Not changing with this agreement I suspect.

I don't mind actually. 10 bucks isn't bad.

WaveRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 10:27 AM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cadle Fan View Post
I don't care about a lousy 10 or 12 dollars a month if it helps keep a team in the city I love.

It will take many, many years before I use up the money that was returned to me when I tried to donate it to keep the Jets 1.0 here.

I don't give a hoot what is happening in other cities. I don't live there and I don't want to live there.
We get the unique opportunity of paying 10-12 per month and also paying for the other teams regional contracts by subbing to TSN3-100 and SN1-37.
Whether you pay $10 per month or not makes no difference to the Jets bottom line. The contract is done and dusted. It may make a difference to the next contract but the TV landscape is changing so fast who knows what the contract will even look like.
It also seems that the Jets a playing a disproportionate number of games on non-natuonal nights so that TSN Jets get enough games to show.

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 10:40 AM
SCP Guy

You mean to tell me that Bell isn't raking in millions in advertising money from Jets TV? I'm sure the Schticky and ShamWow paid tens of millions of dollars to have their commercial played 50 times every single game

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 12:16 PM
boanst

Quote:
Lesser product? The Jets finished 3rd among Canadian teams I thought.

boanst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 12:46 PM
buggs
get off my lawn

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
You mean to tell me that Bell isn't raking in millions in advertising money from Jets TV? I'm sure the Schticky and ShamWow paid tens of millions of dollars to have their commercial played 50 times every single game
Real money is from farmersonly.com.

buggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 01:11 PM
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks

I enjoy listening to Moxie's elevator music 8 million times a season.

drumzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 01:59 PM
jefferoni
Food Trough Wiper

vCash: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs View Post
Real money is from farmersonly.com.
No love for these?

jefferoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 03:08 PM
AlphaLackey

I don't know about you, but I kind of like that we have so few different advertisements on Jets games that the products are kind of like our little inside joke. I don't care about the business aspects or whatever, do what you gotta do so that one Jets fan can mention "Farmers Only dot com" at a bar and get a wry grin out of his or her fellow fan.

... plus an interested stare from those from Moose Jaw, but that's just a bonus.

AlphaLackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 03:20 PM
Sabadecade
Sec304 STH & WL#1882

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
I enjoy listening to Moxie's elevator music 8 million times a season.
So True! Ironically, the most polished commercial on that channel is the one that's the most annoying!

Sabadecade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 09:09 PM
Tonyuno

A Jets fan since 74. Retired in 97 and left the same time as the origional team, I now live in the BC Gulf islands and was overjoyed when the team came back, have managed to watch most games ( except when CBC insisted that everyone wants to watch Toronto play some other team ). Now it looks like another season of limited Jets hockey for me, please guys don't complain about the Jets, four years ago who did you follow ?

Tonyuno is offline   Reply With Quote