HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mark Arcobello

Old
05-06-2014, 10:06 AM
488McFitter

vCash: 50
Mark Arcobello

It's hard not to root for the guy. On a team where effort is often in question, Arco seemed to bring it every night in what ever role he was assigned to. He started off hot last year with the Oil, then fell off production wise with reduced roles. Ultimately he was sent back down to OKC where he produced at a 1.87PPG clip, registering 28pts in 15 games played. His faceoff ability and tenacious forecheck were a breath of fresh air in an Oiler uniform. While considered undersized by many, he was hard to knock off the puck and finished every check when given the opportunity. Hendricks was the only forward to average more hits per game then Arco last year. Petry was the only Dman to beat him in this regard as well, with Ference coming close. He also finished 11th in team scoring in half the games played.

He is good friends with the core guys, and has great character from what I've seen, heard, and read. He is also an extremely cheap option to have in a cap conscious era.

I find it hard not to pencil him in the lineup next year as either a 3rd line winger or the 4C. The guy has earned it. He's a good option to have in your lineup if an injury occurs to a top 6C. I look at our bottom 6 from last year and shake my head to see him not in it. MacT has stated he wants secondary scoring and Arco is capable of fitting that bill I believe.

With no trades and penciling in another 18 year old kid, I can see something like...

Hall - Nuge - Eberle
Perron - Gagner - Yakupov
Raymond - Gordon - Downie
Hendricks - Arco - Pitlick
Gazdic/Lander

IMO Arcobello > Lander/Jones/Pitlick/Gazdic/Pinizzotto/Joesnsuu/Acton/Horak. I could even make a cases for Hendricks and even Gordon.

So do you guys see him as a callup next year or a regular? Looking at mock lineups for 14/15 around here suggests that he has been easily forgotten.

Last edited by 488McFitter: 05-06-2014 at 10:31 AM.
488McFitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 10:08 AM
GMofOilers

vCash: 500
Def deserves to be on our team, and our team will be better for it next year. He blows out Lander in every way. Actually he was also better than Gagner as a 2nd line center.

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 10:51 AM
Yak City

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he just sign a one way contract?

To me, that implies that he'll be on the team next year (or we'll gift him away on waivers...), which I'm perfectly happy with. He's one of those "actual threat to score" players who can contribute to the bottom 6, and he's not entirely out of place on the second line either.

Sure, he's not a perfect player by any means (let's face it, he's tiny and he's not skilled enough to overcome this against some of the bigger and more defense-oriented teams), but he's not an active handicap.

If MacT wants to use Gordon and Hendricks as 4th liners, I could see Arcobello being the other guy on that line.

Yak City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 10:56 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

I like Arcobello, but the Oilers are best to move him in the summer while he has some possibly heightened value.

I mostly mean as an additional piece in a package to add value.

Jimmi McJenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 12:03 PM
Bryanbryoil
Magician

He's a dirt cheap depth option right now. I don't see how we'd leave him off the team next season because of this. I could see him playing C or wing next season for us.

05-06-2014, 12:17 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
I'd take him over Gagner.

Trade Gagner, Petry and Yakupov for a better d-man and a bigger right winger

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 12:20 PM
OF17

It sounds strange, but Arcobello is one of the absolute keys to next year's team for me. He can play center or wing, can play PK or PP, can defend and score, and all done for $600K. Having him on the 4th line is going to be huge not only because of the presence that he'll bring to that line but also as insurance for top-6 injury. If a LW goes down, swap Yak to LW and bring Arco on RW. If a center goes down, Arco can plug right in. Same on RW. He's one of the most flexible players in the organization right now, which is an incredibly important element to have.

OF17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 12:33 PM
haterbehatin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak City View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he just sign a one way contract?

To me, that implies that he'll be on the team next year (or we'll gift him away on waivers...), which I'm perfectly happy with. He's one of those "actual threat to score" players who can contribute to the bottom 6, and he's not entirely out of place on the second line either.

Sure, he's not a perfect player by any means (let's face it, he's tiny and he's not skilled enough to overcome this against some of the bigger and more defense-oriented teams), but he's not an active handicap.

If MacT wants to use Gordon and Hendricks as 4th liners, I could see Arcobello being the other guy on that line.

He did sign a one way contract but one way and two way contracts have NOTHING to do with waiver status. I capitalise it because this is one of the biggest misconceptions around about waivers.

http://www.capgeek.com/waiver-calcul...o=0&Calculate=

According to that link and capgeek he has to play 10 more games in the NHL before he becomes eligible for waivers, so he could easily reach that status next season.

haterbehatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 12:45 PM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
I'd take him over Gagner.
+1

And I didn't like him to begin the season, but the results speak volumes. Gagner can be traded for picks for all I care. We have to be ruthless and demand improvement or ship the body out.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 12:51 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan17 View Post
It sounds strange, but Arcobello is one of the absolute keys to next year's team for me. He can play center or wing, can play PK or PP, can defend and score, and all done for $600K. Having him on the 4th line is going to be huge not only because of the presence that he'll bring to that line but also as insurance for top-6 injury. If a LW goes down, swap Yak to LW and bring Arco on RW. If a center goes down, Arco can plug right in. Same on RW. He's one of the most flexible players in the organization right now, which is an incredibly important element to have.
Very well put. I feel the same way, though see him as more of a 13th forward IF we actually improve this club. He and Gazdic should split the 12/13th forward role based on the lineup we face, but he's the first guy to get the nod in the top 6 if one of those guys is injured. In that role, he probably sees around 60 games.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 12:56 PM
OF17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Very well put. I feel the same way, though see him as more of a 13th forward IF we actually improve this club. He and Gazdic should split the 12/13th forward role based on the lineup we face, but he's the first guy to get the nod in the top 6 if one of those guys is injured. In that role, he probably sees around 60 games.
Thank you. I'm glad you think the same. I do differ slightly in that I have Arco as a regular on the 4th line, but that's not a big difference. A Hendricks-Fiddler-Arcobello 4th line or something similar would be huge next year. Sort of a 3rd line lite.

Old
05-06-2014, 01:10 PM
McShogun99

If we move Gagner and acquire and big second line center then Arcobello will be great on the fourth line and as a fill in on any other line.

McShogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:11 PM
tempest2i
Fitter Happier

The smallest forward on a team full of undersized forwards. I'm trying to think of something nice to add here but coming up blank.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:28 PM
OF17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
The smallest forward on a team full of undersized forwards. I'm trying to think of something nice to add here but coming up blank.
You should do more than look at the biometrics page. Gallagher is the smallest player on a MTL team full of small players. They should probably get rid of him.

Old
05-06-2014, 01:42 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 99
The darkhorse doesn't play to his size at all. And I was surprised and pleased how well he fit in any situation the Oilers put him in.

Seems like a very well rounded player. Didn't know he went to Yale.

I guess he's a smart good hockey player that plays above his weight category.

Definitely deserves a bigger role with the Oilers.

Dorian2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:43 PM
tempest2i
Fitter Happier

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan17 View Post
You should do more than look at the biometrics page. Gallagher is the smallest player on a MTL team full of small players. They should probably get rid of him.
Montreal is built perfectly to get railroaded by the Bruins for the rest of their season (read: this week).

I'd prefer that the Oilers aim higher than the Habs when they're looking to build their forward group.

But yeah, lets keep running small guys who can't complete physically with the players in our own conference out there every night. Because it's worked wonderfully for us this year. And the year before that. And the year before that.

Old
05-06-2014, 01:48 PM
Joey Moss
5-14-6-1

He's on a one-way deal and should easily be on next years roster. I have no problem with him starting as our #2 as long as the bottom 6 can score.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:58 PM
AlowlyMcOilersfan
Comrade

he's fun to watch

at the very least, he adds energy to the line-up, even if he just plays on a line with Gordon and Hendricks

AlowlyMcOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 02:02 PM
nabob
Connor & Looch

Quote:
Montreal is built perfectly to get railroaded by the Bruins for the rest of their season (read: this week).

I'd prefer that the Oilers aim higher than the Habs when they're looking to build their forward group.

But yeah, lets keep running small guys who can't complete physically with the players in our own conference out there every night. Because it's worked wonderfully for us this year. And the year before that. And the year before that.
The thing where you're going wrong is that Arco does compete physically with larger players, where as Gagner and Eberle don't, and Hall and Yak can but don't do it consistently, and RNH doesn't have the build to do it yet.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 03:11 PM
Yak City

Quote:
Originally Posted by haterbehatin View Post
He did sign a one way contract but one way and two way contracts have NOTHING to do with waiver status. I capitalise it because this is one of the biggest misconceptions around about waivers.

http://www.capgeek.com/waiver-calcul...o=0&Calculate=

According to that link and capgeek he has to play 10 more games in the NHL before he becomes eligible for waivers, so he could easily reach that status next season.
Good to know, thanks for the info! For some reason I assumed his new contract would be waiver-eligible, but that's not correct.

I also see that (according to capgeek) he's now an RFA at the end of this 1 year contract, whereas he was a UFA at the end of his last contract.

I don't understand the finer points of contracts at all :|

Yak City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 03:23 PM
McDangler97
5-14-6-1

Great utility forward who can play on any line and not look out of place
Ideally, I would want him on the 4th line next season with Gordon and Hendricks

McDangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 05:22 PM
tempest2i
Fitter Happier

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
The thing where you're going wrong is that Arco does compete physically with larger players, where as Gagner and Eberle don't, and Hall and Yak can but don't do it consistently, and RNH doesn't have the build to do it yet.
I watched the same games of Arcobello's in Edmonton that everyone else around here did. I wasn't sold on him then and I remain equally unsold on him now.

Old
05-06-2014, 05:56 PM
McDreamy
Losing credibility

Quote:
I watched the same games of Arcobello's in Edmonton that everyone else around here did. I wasn't sold on him then and I remain equally unsold on him now.
Arcobello looked a lot better against good competition than Gagner did. He plays a sound and simple game. I would never want to see the guy as a full time top 6 player, but if we surround him with the right guys, he could be a great bottom two center.

Didn't he have good faceoff stats as well?

McDreamy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 06:06 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Did you ever see him mail it in? I didn't. Despite his size he played a solid physical game, consistent effort (which couldn't be said for everyone on our roster).

I agree with you that we need some size, but it's not like Hendricks is huge, yet no one had a problem with his game. Arco is a perfect 12/13th forward if you play him in a split scenario with Gazdic (Gazdic dresses against the big lineups obviously). No ones asking him to go head to head against Kopitar for an entire game.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 06:37 PM
McDeathbyCheerios*

I dont get why he wasnt on the third line with Hendricks and Gordon for the rest of the year. Throw a guy who can make plays, score and is like the other two, hard on the puck. If Arcobello is the RW on the third line next season, absolutely nothing wrong with that.

McDeathbyCheerios* is offline   Reply With Quote