HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predators hire Peter Laviolette

Old
05-06-2014, 01:39 PM
Preds Partisan
Gunga galunga

vCash: 500
Looking forward to the Anti-Trotz.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:40 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
"Having reached the peak as a Stanley Cup champion, Peter knows the intensity and urgency it will take to help our team reach its ultimate goal," Predators general manager David Poile said in a statement released by the team. "He is a great hockey mind who not only has a winning resume, but has done it with an aggressive offensive philosophy while also excelling in helping young players reach their potential.

"We look forward to Peter instilling his culture in Nashville immediately following his duties coaching the United States at the 2014 World Championship."
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/10...ors-head-coach

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:41 PM
pekkaslap

Time to bring the Jam.

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:41 PM
Byrddog

vCash: 50
Well the decision made. Not my choice at all this is going to be an interesting year for HF boards here.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:47 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 143
Great hire for you guys. You have the personnel to fit his system. Going to see a lot more offense next year and beyond from some guys you maybe thought didn't have it in them.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:52 PM
Datsyukian Deke
Is Holland gone yet?

Good hire all around for the Preds in my opinion. It'll be a fresh, new system he brings to the table, and depending which assistants he brings with him, will be interesting to see what he can do with the talent he has around him. It definitely will be fun to see what takes place.

Datsyukian Deke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:52 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Great hire for you guys. You have the personnel to fit his system. Going to see a lot more offense next year and beyond from some guys you maybe thought didn't have it in them.
I disagree we have no legitimate top 6 players, Now who will DP move to get them. Weber, Rinne, Josi Jones? That's about the only thing we have to return what Lavi is gonna want.

Old
05-06-2014, 01:53 PM
MoserHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
He'll be better with you guys than he was at the end in Philadelphia because of two things... your defense and Rinne. Lavy relies on the defense to make a lot of quick decisions in all three zones. He'll have them pushing the puck as quick as possible up to the forwards, and there will be a lot of defensemen pinching in the offensive zone. Expect to see a lot of two man forechecks, but also expect for him to coach the guys to play in transition. He's not a huge puck possession coach, but he also wants his guys to play off the rush and less off a cycle. You'll create a lot of turnovers (and get a lot of powerplays because of it), but you'll be prone to a lot of them if the defense isn't ready to play every night (then you'll take a lot of penalties as well).

The more I think about it the more I like this move for you guys. You guys have at the best defensive and goaltending personnel that Lavy has ever coached. Lavy's always had a bit of a short shelf life because of the intensity that he brings. He's perfect for a team that's looking to make the step from playoff contender to Stanley Cup contender.
Thank you We sure have the defense to play his style
can you also tell as something about McCarthy please?

MoserHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:53 PM
ThirdManIn
Global Moderator
Aspiring Sinecure

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe T Choker View Post
Korn ... to quote The Clash "Should I stay or Should I go"?
Why would he go? Rinne is one of the best in the world, and he still has time to develop Hellberg and Saros. Seems like a goalie coach's dream to me.

Good hire. I'm excited!

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:55 PM
Byrddog

Asst Kevin McCarthy

Old
05-06-2014, 01:55 PM
ThirdManIn
Global Moderator
Aspiring Sinecure

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
I disagree we have no legitimate top 6 players, Now who will DP move to get them. Weber, Rinne, Josi Jones? That's about the only thing we have to return what Lavi is gonna want.
Are you forgetting that we have Smith and Hornqvist, with Jarnkrok and Forsberg waiting in the wings? I think you are. No legit top six players? Absolute hyperbole. We have one-third of that filled already.

Develop Jarnkork and Forsberg along with a few of Aberg, Leipsic, Sissons, Watson, Budish, Cehlin and Beck, among others potentially, and you have a top six that will score goals for a blueline that is incredibly talented. Is this 2003?

Old
05-06-2014, 01:57 PM
Filip Forceberg

In 7 out of 11 seasons, Laviolette has coached teams that finished in the Top 10 for goals scored.

01/02 - 6th
02/03 - 12th
03/04 - 30th
05/06 - 3rd
06/07 - 17th
07/08 - 5th
08/09 - 16th
09/10 - 10th
10/11 - 3rd
11/12 - 3rd
12/13 - 10th

I like it. I love it.

Filip Forceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:58 PM
Mercalius

Love the hire

Mercalius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PALE PWNR

vCash: 143
Quote:
Read this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
He'll be better with you guys than he was at the end in Philadelphia because of two things... your defense and Rinne. Lavy relies on the defense to make a lot of quick decisions in all three zones. He'll have them pushing the puck as quick as possible up to the forwards, and there will be a lot of defensemen pinching in the offensive zone. Expect to see a lot of two man forechecks, but also expect for him to coach the guys to play in transition. He's not a huge puck possession coach, but he also wants his guys to play off the rush and less off a cycle. You'll create a lot of turnovers (and get a lot of powerplays because of it), but you'll be prone to a lot of them if the defense isn't ready to play every night (then you'll take a lot of penalties as well).

The more I think about it the more I like this move for you guys. You guys have at the best defensive and goaltending personnel that Lavy has ever coached. Lavy's always had a bit of a short shelf life because of the intensity that he brings. He's perfect for a team that's looking to make the step from playoff contender to Stanley Cup contender.
And this

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Awesome choice for the Preds, everyone says Lavi needs offensive players to succeed and its really quite the opposite. He needs an elite defense and 2 way centers. It's a super up-tempo system that squeezes every last bit of offense out of every player in the lineup, but you need defensive minded players to do it. People that can make up for mistakes and will hustle and make fantastic defensive plays.

Preds fit the bill, look for them to make waves in the west.
He doesn't need top offensive players, you will get top offensive production out of some of the guys you already have, as well as good scoring depth. We carried Michael ****ing Leighton to the SCF because our defense was elite and we had a plethora of 2 way Centers.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Datsyukian Deke
Is Holland gone yet?

It's nice to see someone coming from Philly to Nashville, other than all those from Nashville ending up in Philly, for a change.

Old
05-06-2014, 01:59 PM
Machinehead
Don't Krei

This is exciting. I feel like he's gonna chance the culture. Maybe not for the better, but he's gonna give it a shot!

Pump it up Puempel!!
Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 02:01 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Are you forgetting that we have Smith and Hornqvist, with Jarnkrok and Forsberg waiting in the wings? I think you are. No legit top six players? Absolute hyperbole. We have one-third of that filled already.

Develop Jarnkork and Forsberg along with a few of Aberg, Leipsic, Sissons, Watson, Budish, Cehlin and Beck, among others potentially, and you have a top six that will score goals for a blueline that is incredibly talented. Is this 2003?
lol I would love to forget Smith as you well know. The other guys im as excited as you are but other than Jarnkrok none appear to be ready. Horni is nice on a 2nd line to be in front of the net I agree. There must be some player change to run the new system. He is not going to come in here and waive a wand and transform Borque, Wilson into the type player he requires.

Old
05-06-2014, 02:04 PM
triggrman

vCash: 557
Quote:
lol I would love to forget Smith as you well know. The other guys im as excited as you are but other than Jarnkrok none appear to be ready. Horni is nice on a 2nd line to be in front of the net I agree. There must be some player change to run the new system. He is not going to come in here and waive a wand and transform Borque, Wilson into the type player he requires.
They weren't ready for Trotz system, to do what Trotz wanted. The board is clean, let's see what happens.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 02:06 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Great, here we go... Smh

It's a great move. The best move possible. He's going to implement a system that's only going to help us in the long run. He knew what was here before signing here. He knows what he has to work with, and I also think some moves will be made

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 02:07 PM
Filip Forceberg

Quote:
I expect Poile to make some bold moves this summer. I think we'll see a veteran forward signed/traded for.

Filip Forceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 02:07 PM
triggrman

vCash: 557
Let me add that one of the things that bugged me in the last few years especially is we never really took advantage of the speed we have. Bourque, Stahlberg, Smith, Jarnkrok and Cullen all have way above average speed. It will interesting to see how they can be used differently under a new system.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 02:08 PM
Datsyukian Deke
Is Holland gone yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Let me add that one of the things that bugged me in the last few years especially is we never really took advantage of the speed we have. Bourque, Stahlberg, Smith, Jarnkrok and Cullen all have way above average speed. It will interesting to see how they can be used differently under a new system.
Absolutely agree 100%

Old
05-06-2014, 02:08 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
They weren't ready for Trotz system, to do what Trotz wanted. The board is clean, let's see what happens.
I really hope your right. And especially the young guys develop into the system he brings. We will see for sure. But I just can't see him elevating Nystrom, Cullen and Fish for that matter into career years. So once again if no moves are made and the youngsters crap the bed the net gain will be zero.

Old
05-06-2014, 02:09 PM
drwpreds

I have mixed feelings but overall I am pretty excited about this.

Saw this on twitter- check out Laviolette's first season with a team and the improvement from the previous season:

NY Islanders- went from 52 points (30th in league) to 96 points (8th in league)
Carolina- went from 76 points (23rd in league) to 112 points (4th in league)
Philly- went from 88 points (18th in league) to 106 points (4th in league)

Also did the same with Hershey in the AHL.

Not saying we will see that kind of improvement here but that is dang impressive.

Bottom line is the guy has won early in every place he has been. He does tend to burn out but I am ok with that if we can get a few great years.............

Next year will be interesting for sure.......

drwpreds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 02:09 PM
ThirdManIn
Global Moderator
Aspiring Sinecure

Awards:
Quote:
Second line is still top six, and you literally said we have none of those players. None.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but yours was pretty well blanketed in falsehoods and exaggerations. Can we at least wait to see what Lavy does with the team before throwing in the towel?