HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predators hire Peter Laviolette

Old
05-06-2014, 01:11 PM
Byrddog

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Second line is still top six, and you literally said we have none of those players. None.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but yours was pretty well blanketed in falsehoods and exaggerations. Can we at least wait to see what Lavy does with the team before throwing in the towel?
And your opinions are filled with rainbows and unicorns that fart fairy dust. Now you started the personal attack.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:12 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:13 PM
Predarat

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Let me add that one of the things that bugged me in the last few years especially is we never really took advantage of the speed we have. Bourque, Stahlberg, Smith, Jarnkrok and Cullen all have way above average speed. It will interesting to see how they can be used differently under a new system.
I'm buying stock in Stahlberg.

Predarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:17 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
And your opinions are filled with rainbows and unicorns that fart fairy dust. Now you started the personal attack.
I never once attacked you personally. I spoke of your opinion, which you presented on an open discussion forum for all to critique. My opinions are filled with the ever-present potential, with which I qualified them. Yours, however, are filled with the same tired pessimism that we have seen from a number of Preds fans for years.

Lavy has yet to coach a single practice, much less a game, and still we are dredging up the ghosts of the early 2000s. Really?

Don't put words in my mouth. I respect you. You should know this by now. Disagreeing with you is not the same as attacking you, and if you feel otherwise you are wrong.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:19 PM
SavageSteve

I saw this in the #tending part of my FB timeline and have to say I'm hoping Lavi says this between the lines or literally!

Quote:
"My family and I are extremely appreciative to be a part of this proud organization. As head coach of the Predators, it is my duty to regenerate the success that these fans of ours deserve and are used to. With all of that said, I'd like to extend a thought to the city of Philadelphia, asking their fans that they please shut their face over Shea Weber. This beastly stack of badass is sticking on my blueline, and I'd sooner hang my head over a Bunsen burner than see him moved for the half-ass Armchair GM proposals you *think* work. We're not trading the best defenseman in the world for schleps. Now, let's get to work." --Peter Laviolette's press conference in my mind

SavageSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:25 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
I never once attacked you personally. I spoke of your opinion, which you presented on an open discussion forum for all to critique. My opinions are filled with the ever-present potential, with which I qualified them. Yours, however, are filled with the same tired pessimism that we have seen from a number of Preds fans for years.

Lavy has yet to coach a single practice, much less a game, and still we are dredging up the ghosts of the early 2000s. Really?

Don't put words in my mouth. I respect you. You should know this by now. Disagreeing with you is not the same as attacking you, and if you feel otherwise you are wrong.
Im not adverse to this Lavy at all. In fact is he were the coach when we had Arnott, Sully, JP, PK, The team would have thrived. My issue is the people here contend that the current roster will be transformed just by him coming in. That is just mind boggling. We will put lipstick on a pig and a few of these roster guys will improve marginally. And there is a chance the team slides into the wildcard spot in the next couple years and gets throttled. Guess what we have seen that before. Lavy will be held accountable just as Trotz was and likely be fired before things get turned around into a nice offensive team. No matter who was hired as the head guy they inherit a team built to Trotz system. And just terrible contracts done by the real problem in Nashville Poile. I would love to be optimistic that Lavy has the pieces to turn this around but I think he was hired two years too soon.

Old
05-06-2014, 01:33 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Im not adverse to this Lavy at all. In fact is he were the coach when we had Arnott, Sully, JP, PK, The team would have thrived. My issue is the people here contend that the current roster will be transformed just by him coming in. That is just mind boggling. We will put lipstick on a pig and a few of these roster guys will improve marginally. And there is a chance the team slides into the wildcard spot in the next couple years and gets throttled. Guess what we have seen that before. Lavy will be held accountable just as Trotz was and likely be fired before things get turned around into a nice offensive team. No matter who was hired as the head guy they inherit a team built to Trotz system. And just terrible contracts done by the real problem in Nashville Poile. I would love to be optimistic that Lavy has the pieces to turn this around but I think he was hired two years too soon.
I have yet to meet a single person who can accurately predict the future, yet here we are with absolute predictions. "Inheriting" a system simply isn't a guarantee. We have a team of players who play their games, and their ice time is reflected by what the coach thinks of that play.

I'm sorry, Byrd, because I know you have been around longer than a hell of a lot of people, but I don't buy it that you want to be optimistic. And you know what? That's perfectly fine. If we were all optimistic this place would be boring, and I would have left a long time ago. All I ask is you don't accuse me of attacking you personally when no such attack happened. Is that fair?

Old
05-06-2014, 01:35 PM
WartracePred

Looking at Free Agency, does this hire encourage any UFAs to sign here that wouldn't have considered the Preds with Trotz at the helm?

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:37 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Looking at Free Agency, does this hire encourage any UFAs to sign here that wouldn't have considered the Preds with Trotz at the helm?
Have to think it'll help with the offense UFA's. Tailored to stats and ice time.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:39 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Well, at least it's not Carlyle or Wilson.

Seems likely we'd get a bounceback offensively from Lavi. My biggest concern would be future development - whether or not youngsters brought in retain enough defensive-mindedness to run such an up-tempo system without disintegrating.

In the short term? Very nice move. I worry about the long term though. Hopefully that won't be an issue.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:39 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
How do you know it won't be transformed or it will stay the same or get worse for that matter? You and I and everyone else around here have no idea what will happen.

I'll say this, Wilson was the 7th overall pick in the draft. He has struggled under Trotz. He has not been put in a situation to succeed. He was finally moved back to center and finally looked comfortable and the player we were hoping he would become. Did he put up numbers, no. I believe the numbers will come once he gets some confidence, much like happened to Smith this year. These kids need to taste some success and their confidence will grow in their abilities. They do that and the sky is the limit, it's like that with any player. Some players thrive in certain systems, others are held back. You can't tell me Wilson was given opportunities to succeed in this system can you. Remember his 4 point game against Colorado and how much fun he talked about having. What happened next, Trotz criticized the team for not playing with detail and we proceeded to take any fun or confidence Wilson started to show and the team fizzled the next bunch of games offensively because of it. Lavi may fail here. He may succeed. Some guys may play better for him, some may play worse. Let's see what he does before the sky hits us on the head because it's all of a sudden falling on us.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:40 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Unless we don't expect to bring any of the kids up, who's leaving to make room?

Preds33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:45 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
I have yet to meet a single person who can accurately predict the future, yet here we are with absolute predictions. "Inheriting" a system simply isn't a guarantee. We have a team of players who play their games, and their ice time is reflected by what the coach thinks of that play.

I'm sorry, Byrd, because I know you have been around longer than a hell of a lot of people, but I don't buy it that you want to be optimistic. And you know what? That's perfectly fine. If we were all optimistic this place would be boring, and I would have left a long time ago. All I ask is you don't accuse me of attacking you personally when no such attack happened. Is that fair?
Fair enough if you will not use a blanket statement to shoot down any opinion I have. Really the only thing I have supported in the past was my views on #15. Who did up his game this year. But I still have the conviction that he is a marginal NHL player at least. And his 20 few goals does not prove he will be a big part of turning this ship.

I also contend that Poile is a bigger issue than Trotz ever was. And that the team is hamstrung by the No trade clauses he has placed on plugs. And I will tell you this If they trade Josi for a offensive piece im done with this team until Poile is gone. I have endured seeing him cast off players far too long to justify my spending about 10k for my season tickets. So yet another year I will sit at home when I would prefer to be back in the arena. So if there is anyone that can convince me otherwise with facts not feel good statements im all ears otherwise in a couple years I may have to move my favorite team elsewhere.

Old
05-06-2014, 01:46 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
Unless we don't expect to bring any of the kids up, who's leaving to make room?
Trade a few guys for picks and make room. Surely there are 2-3 players that don't fit Lavy's system or won't like his demeanor.

Old
05-06-2014, 01:47 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I think it's perfectly fine to say a system can transform a player.

There was once this player for Calgary that was a standout in the AHL, but seemed to flop in the NHL, after just a few years he was traded to Tampa. He struggled a bit there too, scoring 35 points his first season, then enter a new coach and a new system came in. Next thing you know his first full season in this new system saw him hit 70 points. He didn't stop there, he went on to score 94 points one season, 102 points one season and adding a Ross and Hart Trophy.

Now that wasn't all on the system or coach, but those had to play a part.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:48 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Fair enough if you will not use a blanket statement to shoot down any opinion I have. Really the only thing I have supported in the past was my views on #15. Who did up his game this year. But I still have the conviction that he is a marginal NHL player at least. And his 20 few goals does not prove he will be a big part of turning this ship.

I also contend that Poile is a bigger issue than Trotz ever was. And that the team is hamstrung by the No trade clauses he has placed on plugs. And I will tell you this If they trade Josi for a offensive piece im done with this team until Poile is gone. I have endured seeing him cast off players far too long to justify my spending about 10k for my season tickets. So yet another year I will sit at home when I would prefer to be back in the arena. So if there is anyone that can convince me otherwise with facts not feel good statements im all ears otherwise in a couple years I may have to move my favorite team elsewhere.
I guess we're about to find with this hire. If Lavi is the type that can develop the younger talent we'll know Poile was doing his job and Trotz wasn't. If the talent doesn't develop, Poile needs to go and I will totally go along with you on this. I have a funny feeling the truth is somewhere in the middle of the two.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:49 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:

There was once this player for Calgary that was a standout in the AHL, but seemed to flop in the NHL, after just a few years he was traded to Tampa. He struggled a bit there too, scoring 35 points his first season, then enter a new coach and a new system came in. Next thing you know his first full season in this new system saw him hit 70 points. He didn't stop there, he went on to score 94 points one season, 102 points one season and adding a Ross and Hart Trophy.

That's a rather extreme example. If anyone's expecting anything close to that for Wilson they are setting themselves up for disappointment. There's far more 24 year olds who just are as good as they will ever really get. Hopefully that's not Wilson either, but...

Last edited by Iron Duke: 05-06-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:50 PM
Byrddog

Glenn please look at the roster. Add up there career highs. Take into consideration the drop in aging players a dn see how much the young guys are really going to need to increase there output in order to put up the 220 odd goals they are going to need. It gets pretty unrealistic then.

Old
05-06-2014, 01:51 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
It'll be interesting to watch Smith & Jones in the WC under Lavy and Housley (sans Trotz). With the right linemates, don't be shocked if Smith pots 30 goals next season.

Old
05-06-2014, 01:55 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I find it awfully ironic (no, Alanis Morissette) unexpected that people, not Preds fans in general, have bemoaned this hire as if they think it's the same team with a different coach. On the surface that is true, but that does not necessarily mean that the Preds are the same team. As far as I'm concerned the Preds are now an entirely different team.

Look at Roy and Colorado. You have a guy who never coached at the NHL level coming in to a team with basically the opposite of what we have, and they are contenders all of the sudden. The crew on the Preds is better in every aspect of the game except top six. Is it so unreasonable to think that a new coach, an offensively minded one at that, can take a team who was, for all intents and purposes, a play off team into the play offs? No.

To be fair, though, it is not unreasonable to think that current Preds roster cannot hang. I just think it's premature to write them off. This is a play off team.

Old
05-06-2014, 01:58 PM
Preds33

Seeing some contract terms on Twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by @MurphysLaw74
Hearing Laviolette's deal with Predators is for five years at $2.5 million per season.

https://twitter.com/MurphysLaw74/sta...39762164371457

Preds33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:58 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
That's a rather extreme example. If anyone's expecting anything close to that for Wilson is setting themselves up for disappointment. There's far more 24 year olds who just are as good as they will ever really get. Hopefully that's not Wilson either, but...
I'm sorry where did I say "expect Wilson's numbers to match these"?

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 02:00 PM
Byrddog

Oh come now you really think that Roy did not inherit a team ready to explode offensively. The only short coming that let Colorado down was goaltending Varlimov choked in critical situations. And Roy will fix that Varli will come back much better or Sakic and Roy will get a netminder that will take them over the top.

And to even speak of Colorado and there turnaround in the same paragraph with the situation in Nashville is just laughable.

Old
05-06-2014, 02:00 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:

Lavy turned Ville Leino briefly into a very good top six player. Scott Hartnell had the most consistent years of his career under Lavy. Giroux turned into a top 5 centerman. Those are 3 very different examples of players that Lavy got the best out of. I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised with what he can do with some of your forwards.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 02:01 PM
Flgatorguy87

I'm excited for the new hire. People wanted change and this is about as big of a change as you can get from Trotz. I will say I am sick of every thread getting over run with people arguing and b!tching...usually the same arguments are discussed in EVERY THREAD we have here. Is it possible to discuss this without always using every new thread to prop up old debates?

Flgatorguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote