HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predators hire Peter Laviolette

Old
05-06-2014, 03:03 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Glenn please look at the roster. Add up there career highs. Take into consideration the drop in aging players a dn see how much the young guys are really going to need to increase there output in order to put up the 220 odd goals they are going to need. It gets pretty unrealistic then.
How so? Boston, in the year they won the Cup, had a total of 244 goals over the regular season campaign. They had one of the worst power plays in the league. They scored 244 goals total, or .3 goals per game more than it would take to put up the 220 goals you mentioned.

One third of a goal per game.

An increase of that margin in no way ensures a Cup, but it would go a long way in making this team relevant in the discuss a year from now.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 03:05 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Glenn please look at the roster. Add up there career highs. Take into consideration the drop in aging players a dn see how much the young guys are really going to need to increase there output in order to put up the 220 odd goals they are going to need. It gets pretty unrealistic then.
I hear ya. Believe me, I do. Let's look at is though instead of 220 goals, how many does each guy or line need to score. We need 12 guys to average 15 goals up front to get to 180 goals and then score 40 from the blue line between those six guys.

Smith, Fisher and Horny should be able to net 20 apiece.

Jarnkrok is anyone's guess but should be able to hit 15 at least if not 20 himself but let's say 15 to be conservative.

Wilson and Bourque should be good for 15 each as they aren't coming off injuries.

That's 105 from 6 players.

Cullen should be good for 15.

Spaling should be good for 15.

135 from 8 players.

Nystrom, Goose, Stalberg and Clune. Yikes. 30-40 realistically?

So that puts us at about 165-175.

Not too far off from the 180 I suggested.

The blue line should get us 40 with Weber and Josi netting about 35 of them. I think the other 4 guys can get the last 5 for sure which puts them over the 40 which may balance out the lack of production from up front.

Now if we lose some of the clods on the bottom line and replace them with younger players with more offensive upside, maybe we can hit 180 from the forwards.

I haven't mentioned Forsberg at all in this. He's a wild card in my eyes. Beck and Watson are nowhere on this list either. No Sissons.

If we are truly a balanced type team, these numbers seem realistic to some degree. Add someone to the top 6 that is a sure fire 20 goal guy and lose one of the bottom 3, 180 is possible. Add two 20 goal scorers while losing two of the bottom three and we're in business.

We bring in Lavi, he's coached the Americans, you have two of them as UFA's coming up in the summer in Stastny and Callahan and a bunch of money to spend. You add those two with what we have and all of a sudden this could be a very interesting team to watch in the fall. Even if we add one of them, we're better than we were when the season ended.

We will see.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 03:07 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
That's a rather extreme example. If anyone's expecting anything close to that for Wilson is setting themselves up for disappointment. There's far more 24 year olds who just are as good as they will ever really get. Hopefully that's not Wilson either, but...
That may be an extreme one but remember John LeClair and what he went through in Montreal? Lots of expectations, never panned out, went to Philly and became a 50 goal scorer. Power forwards take longer to develop. I'm excited about Wilson playing for Lavi.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 03:19 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Not sure if all the media sitting on Poile's left side is considerate or trolling?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 03:20 PM
Keeptdos

Congrats for getting him, would have wanted him to Wild, but it doesn't seem likely that Yeo gets fired since we got "so far". Interested how you will look next season!

Keeptdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 03:23 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Sounds like we are going to draft forward listening to Poile!

And he brought up that we need a big time forward

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 03:29 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

"I'd keep the defensive corps we have now for the next 10 years if I could," --Poile.

Old
05-06-2014, 03:30 PM
Flgatorguy87

Poile sounds motivated to get this offense moving! I like it.

Flgatorguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 03:31 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
I may be misunderstanding your post, but are you saying that 220 goals is not realistic???

This past season, in a year in which almost nothing went right and almost every forward on the roster underperformed (other than Smith), and playing Trotz defensive style hockey, the Predators scored 214 goals.

I am not saying for a second that Laviolette is going to be a savior and come in here and lead us to the Cup next year, but I would bet a large sum of money that if we can get 214 goals last year under those circumstances, we will absolutely surpass 220 goals next year……..

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 03:32 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
"I'd keep the defensive corps we have now for the next 10 years if I could," --Poile.
Thank you for the updates...please keep em coming

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 03:32 PM
Jarnberg

Great move for our franchise. We'll need to replace Poile to get to that next level, but this is a start in the right direction.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 03:33 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Sounds like we are going to draft forward listening to Poile!

And he brought up that we need a big time forward
Finally sounds like the Preds are going to realize it's 2014!

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 03:34 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Congrats guys! It'll be very exciting to see how your team plays with a new coach for the first time ever.. I've always been a huge fan of Lavi's and wouldn't have minded seeing him in Jersey..

Long live southern hockey!! (Btw I'm visiting Nashville in 3 weeks on a road trip vacation.. Very pumped to wear my Devils shirt in the bars and make some good hockey conversations)

Colin226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 03:38 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
Oh come now you really think that Roy did not inherit a team ready to explode offensively. The only short coming that let Colorado down was goaltending Varlimov choked in critical situations. And Roy will fix that Varli will come back much better or Sakic and Roy will get a netminder that will take them over the top.

And to even speak of Colorado and there turnaround in the same paragraph with the situation in Nashville is just laughable.
That is so very easy to say now, isn't it????

But before last year, there is NO ONE on the planet who thought Colorado was poised to go from 29th in the league to a 114 point team- no one.

Colorado was pretty much the opposite of the Preds- great young forwards, crap defense. Our defense has the potential to be just as good defensively as Colorado is offensively.

I am not saying for one second we are going to come anywhere close to matching what Colorado did- but it is not nearly as inconceivable as you make it sound.....

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 03:38 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I'm sorry where did I say "expect Wilson's numbers to match these"?
It's why I didn't specifically say "triggrman, if YOU are expecting Wilson to go the MSL route, then..."

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 03:40 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

The team definitely went in a different direction with the head coach while keeping the behind the bench assistants the same for now (still no word on Korn). We'll see how things pan out come the fall.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 03:41 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Lavy turned Ville Leino briefly into a very good top six player. Scott Hartnell had the most consistent years of his career under Lavy. Giroux turned into a top 5 centerman. Those are 3 very different examples of players that Lavy got the best out of. I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised with what he can do with some of your forwards.
See the popular belief from a few on this site is that different coaches and different systems still produce the same results.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 03:41 PM
Jarnberg

Our team speed will be much more apparent and his system will be really good with our defensemen. We'll be more aggressive and high paced.

To me that sounds like Predators hockey.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 03:46 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
It's why I didn't specifically say "triggrman, if YOU are expecting Wilson to go the MSL route, then..."
fair enough..... fair enough...

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 03:51 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
The team definitely went in a different direction with the head coach while keeping the behind the bench assistants the same for now (still no word on Korn). We'll see how things pan out come the fall.
They did bring in a 3rd assistant coach.

Preds33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 03:52 PM
Flgatorguy87

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YvBsTrPO0p0

This guy is intense.

Language warning...

Flgatorguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 03:54 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flgatorguy87 View Post

This guy is intense.

Language warning...
We are all hockey fans here. Language shouldn't phase any of us

Love that speech. He's the guy id wanna play for

Old
05-06-2014, 03:56 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:

This guy is intense.

Language warning...
Um...hockey has 3 languages; English, French, and Profanity. Seriously, I think these guys lived in NY where the f word is not a word but a comma.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 03:57 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Yes, this is what is curious to me, keeping the same assistants. I would have thought a new coach with new systems, needed his own choices.

Now I wish I was closer to the bench with my seats to see the "interactions", lol

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 04:03 PM
predfan98

Quote:

This guy is intense.

Language warning...
hard to know what to believe since he knew the tv cameras were on. who knows if it is the "real" way he might act in the locker room.

It will be interesting, I've always wondered how the team would play with a more emotional coach. I guess we're getting ready to find out. We need more flies on the wall for the teams reaction. There is going to be some people shaken out of their routines because Trotz has been here for so long. Hopefully it all turns out well

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote