HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predators hire Peter Laviolette

Old
05-06-2014, 05:56 PM
TootooTrain
-

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFL615 View Post
Poile on NHL network said he is leaning towards stability with the team forward roster and giving guys a chance with a new coach.
I like the sound of that. Cautiously optimistic with this hire. Seems like a good fit, but I expect some growing pains considering Trotz is all they've known for a long period of time.

TootooTrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 05:58 PM
MoserHockey

Quote:
It was 10pm where he is currently with team USA at the time of the presser... Maybe he goes to bed at early..
Team USA was playing against Germany when the presser happend, so there is no way he can call in while he is coaching.

(BTW Smith had an assist and hit the post on a breakaway after a brilliant pass by Jones. Don't have the stats, but it appared that Smith got a lot of Ice Time)

MoserHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 06:11 PM
dougie1107

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanPredFan View Post
Team USA was playing against Germany when the presser happend, so there is no way he can call in while he is coaching.

(BTW Smith had an assist and hit the post on a breakaway after a brilliant pass by Jones. Don't have the stats, but it appared that Smith got a lot of Ice Time)
Are those pre-tournament games? I could've sworn it didn't start until the 9th.

dougie1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 06:15 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanPredFan View Post

Good enough for me. The Preds should have waited on a presser until tomorrow then.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 06:21 PM
Drake744
Keep Seth Jones

vCash: 325
This couldn't possibly make more sense. Poile is getting the best of both worlds in this hire. I think it's apparent that he's been getting gradually more frustrated about our lack of offensive play, so he decides to go the opposite direction than what we've been. Sure, it's a gutsy move, but he can feel comforted in the fact that some things he likes in personnel are in place as well. Has a personal relationship with him. Check. An American who is involved in Team 'Merica. Check. Open to watching our young guys evolve from here on out. Check.

It was probably hard for Poile to admit that going in the opposite direction was probably the right move, but at least the perfect candidate was someone he's already very comfortable with, and that has to increase some of the positivity on his part.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 06:27 PM
RCola88

A Laviolette + Housely combo, hello goal scoring!

RCola88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 06:44 PM
TootooTrain
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie1107 View Post
Are those pre-tournament games? I could've sworn it didn't start until the 9th.
Yea it's an exhibition/practice game.

Old
05-06-2014, 06:50 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

I listened/watched the entire press conference on Preds TV and I am very excited about this hire. From what people are saying about the offensive side of Laviolette's coaching, I am kind of glad I moved away from right under the goal horn, too. Bring 'em on! For the first time in what seems like forever I'm excited about the new season.

Adz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 06:55 PM
NorthAlPredfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyfan84 View Post
Such a stark contrast from Trotz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvBsTrPO0p0
+1!!!!!!!!!

NorthAlPredfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 06:58 PM
TootooTrain
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
I listened/watched the entire press conference on Preds TV and I am very excited about this hire. From what people are saying about the offensive side of Laviolette's coaching, I am kind of glad I moved away from right under the goal horn, too. Bring 'em on! For the first time in what seems like forever I'm excited about the new season.
Will they be uploading the full thing somewhere? Or could someone direct me to where I can find some key quotes?

Very excited to see what Wilson can do with the reigns loosened up a bit.

Old
05-06-2014, 07:01 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Will they be uploading the full thing somewhere? Or could someone direct me to where I can find some key quotes?

Very excited to see what Wilson can do with the reigns loosened up a bit.
try this
http://video.predators.nhl.com/videocenter/

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 07:16 PM
TootooTrain
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
Appreciate it. Wasn't sure how quickly they'd get it up. Thank you.

Old
05-06-2014, 07:20 PM
Marty Party
@ The Bridge

Approve of the hire. I already renewed for next season last year but am wondering if we'll see an up swing in STH's now.

Marty Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 07:56 PM
Legionnaire11

Reading this thread and reaction around the league, it appears that EVERYONE is assuming that Lavi is going to do the things that he has always done, that he is interested in goals and only goals, all other facets of the game be damned... These folks are wondering if the Preds forwards can fit his system, or just predict that there is no way they will.

The guy is a professional, and I have to believe that he will tweak his system and adapt to the players that he has. A professional should be able to adjust, to mature and grow his systems and coaching styles.

With the strength of this team on the blueline and in net, which is a tool which he has never had to work with, I have to believe that Laviolette will be able to evolve his system into something more suitable to what this roster needs going forward.

I am excited about it, I won't say he is definitely the answer and will surely take this team farther than Trotz, but I am still excited and I am greatly anticipating the coming seasons and watching the direction that his team takes.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 08:04 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

It seems a lot of people including Poile are going out of their way to blame Trotz for not developing offensive talent.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 08:12 PM
6768clintoncomets575

I'm completely underwhelmed.

6768clintoncomets575 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 08:19 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

I enjoyed the press conference thoroughly. It was nice to hear Poile say explicitly:

"We need a big time forward...I know that, and we need to find that sooner rather than later."

It may have been obvious to everyone here, but Poile has been notoriously ambiguous on this in public comments (e.g. "We think we're in a good place, but we'll look to see what we can find that's reasonable during free agency"). I really feel like he may put all the chips on the table for a top free agent this off season. If he can land Stasny, I would be ecstatic.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 08:42 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
I enjoyed the press conference thoroughly. It was nice to hear Poile say explicitly:

"We need a big time forward...I know that, and we need to find that sooner rather than later."

It may have been obvious to everyone here, but Poile has been notoriously ambiguous on this in public comments (e.g. "We think we're in a good place, but we'll look to see what we can find that's reasonable during free agency"). I really feel like he may put all the chips on the table for a top free agent this off season. If he can land Stasny, I would be ecstatic.
I am thinking he makes a run at the all-star #50in07 also

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 08:43 PM
Flgatorguy87

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6768clintoncomets575 View Post
I'm completely underwhelmed.
Who should we have hired?

Flgatorguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 09:03 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Regardless of what else anyone thinks, Lavi has taken two different teams to the SC Finals. If lack of playoff success was what doomed Trotz, we have certainly replaced him with someone who knows how to win in the postseason

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 09:11 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Glad to see Poile making moves early. Glad about the hire for sure. Now get us statsny or someone similar.

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 09:17 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predarat View Post
Just think if he had gotten Getzlaf when he had the chance instead of getting ole **** face.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2003e.html
This is absurd revisionism. Getzlaf was not considered anywhere near that kind of pedigree at the time. It's like claiming that someone with a 1999 first round pick should have gotten Henrik Zetterberg.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 09:29 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post

You should listen to his interview on 102.5 from this afternoon. Long term big money was mentioned for a "big time forward" his answer was spot on with your quote and it seemed like he was not realistically interested in any. He did say the owners would give the money for the right guy. Sounds like if it does happen it will come from a trade.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 09:43 PM
Predarat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
This is absurd revisionism. Getzlaf was not considered anywhere near that kind of pedigree at the time. It's like claiming that someone with a 1999 first round pick should have gotten Henrik Zetterberg.
Good point, they should have skipped Finley, drafted Henrik. Wish I had thought of that but well done!

Predarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 10:09 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Poile on NHL network said he is leaning towards stability with the team forward roster and giving guys a chance with a new coach.
That's a risk because Laviolette does his best work early. If you wait around to make changes and are looking 3-4 years down the road with regard to that, then it might cause problems. That said, the Predators will be playoff contenders next year, I'm sure of this. And glad Lavy got a new job. The man is not that naive, he'll know his well runs dry. There's a good chance that after Year 2, you will have already hit the high-water mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Regardless of what else anyone thinks, Lavi has taken two different teams to the SC Finals. If lack of playoff success was what doomed Trotz, we have certainly replaced him with someone who knows how to win in the postseason
He got the Islanders into the playoffs too, at a time where making the playoffs for the Islanders was like the End of Days

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote