HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's wrong with Max?

Old
05-09-2014, 06:29 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
LOL......so it looks like your opinion of patches is a lot closer to mine than we originally thought
You play the players who are performing.

Max isn't performing right now.

While we may agree short term, our long term projection is entirely different.

Mind you, I think max will make an appearance in the next 2 games. I'm fairly certain of it, he's been improving in terms of getting into dirty areas every game.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 06:31 PM
red devil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Ah come off it man. If Patches did HALF the things Datsyuk did those years I would be dancing a jig. But Patches brings nothing of what Datsyuk brought. If Patches isn't scoring, he's basically floating. He doesn't bring anything else to the table.
I'm not ready to get rid of Pacioretty yet and I still have patience with him that he will break out. He does deserve some criticism, but he is too good of a goal scorer to not get a lucky break at some point.

red devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 06:31 PM
Tyson

You would think with his size, speed, strength and skill that he would be made for the playoffs. Guess not.

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 06:33 PM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
At this point we have nothing to lose.

I'd swap Briere and DD. While it may seem as a punishment to DD for me it's just about mixing it up.
I was thinking more along tne line of:

MP/TP/TV Bergeron be damned...
You could also try him with Eller.
The whole idea being to change his mindset...
Seemed to work for Borky i've said more than once Borky is convinced he's in a pure shutdown role

Rapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 06:34 PM
compile

vCash: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by red devil View Post
I'm not ready to get rid of Pacioretty yet and I still have patience with him that he will break out. He does deserve some criticism, but he is too good of a goal scorer to not get a lucky break at some point.
The issue is he needs to create those lucky breaks and he's far from it. Shooting far side from the half boards constantly does not create "luck."

For a guy that was almost killed by Chara, you'd think he'd want to hit him EVER time he touched the puck (kind of like how Emelin doesn't shy away from Lucy).

Patches does not play with any intensity at all. He reminds me SOOOOOOOOOO much of Ryder its not even funny.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 06:34 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by red devil View Post
Why would we ever get rid of Max anyway? His contract does not prevent us from acquiring other top talent.

Maintain your patience, we're spending 7.3 mil on Bourque and Briere. In an ideal world we can get another top 3 forward with that kind of money with Max still on the team.

So my patience is pretty high with max.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 06:40 PM
onice

By the way to bring all this discussion into focus. He was drafted in the same year as McDonagh & Subban. We all know it takes d-men longer to mature into their roles but they are both way ahead of Patches. And incidentally Eller was also from the same draft year. Aside from bringing an excellent defensive game he has also contributed offensively. His line has been the best line and he's playing with Bourque and an aging Gionta.

I hope you guys are right and Patches pulls his head out of his *** but I wouldn't bet any money on it.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 06:41 PM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
You would think with his size, speed, strength and skill that he would be made for the playoffs. Guess not.
Oh but he is.
Just not in his own head.
Less thinking more skating please...

Old
05-09-2014, 06:42 PM
red devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Why would we ever get rid of Max anyway? His contract does not prevent us from acquiring other top talent.

Maintain your patience, we're spending 7.3 mil on Bourque and Briere. In an ideal world we can get another top 3 forward with that kind of money with Max still on the team.

So my patience is pretty high with max.
I wordy that wrong, I am not at all even thinking about getting rid of Pacoretty as he is our best goal scorer in a long time, and when he has a contract that is a bargain you keep him.

red devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 06:43 PM
sharks9

Quote:
By the way to bring all this discussion into focus. He was drafted in the same year as McDonagh & Subban. We all know it takes d-men longer to mature into their roles but they are both way ahead of Patches. And incidentally Eller was also from the same draft year. Aside from bringing an excellent defensive game he has also contributed offensively. His line has been the best line and he's playing with Bourque and an aging Gionta.

I hope you guys are right and Patches pulls his head out of his *** but I wouldn't bet any money on it.
Why are you comparing him with Eller? Pacioretty is so much better than him and it's not even close. I love that Eller's caught fire in the playoffs, but he's still not even in the same breath as Pacioretty.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 06:57 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

It's getting annoying that Max and DD are doing nothing...

They need to get back down to basics. Crash the net. PU junk rebounds. I know DD is not big and Max doesn't like playing vs Chara but they don't have a choice... Forget about fancy plays. Or setting up the perfect one timer.

Plus Max needs to put on the jets. Make things happen himself. Enough waiting. Forecheck much harder... I saw him losing battles to loose pucks deep in the Bruins zone when skating at 70% speed... That's not good enough. It struck me because Eller or Bourque would have driven much harder to that puck...

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 07:11 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

Every player has a different developmental curve. But I'm not sure I quite understand you. MaxPac was a goal away from having a 40 goal season. Ya he's struggled a bit more vs Boston which to be honest was expected, at least from me.
Why do you think people were discussing the sheltering of DD's line all year long?
Match ups in the POs are key, and the Bruins are making it a very important part to have Chara on the ice every time Max is.
That's exactly why you shouldn't make your primary offensive line a sheltered one. Come PO time, they will disappear. That's why some wanted to see what Eller can do, because if he can provide good offense without the worry of completely sheltering him, it makes us more solid.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 07:31 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Pacioretty has disappear in large part due to breakaways for him disappearing. He scored 11 of his 39 goals on breakaways, or a good quart of his production. That that away, and he loses a lot of bite. Other goals are due to sweet feeds to the door step or one-timers from the high slot, faceoff dot, or top of the faceoff circle.

Breakaways are harder to come by in the playoffs because of the quality of teams in general and the fact there is more clutching and grabbing. Never mind that breakaways are usually the result of boneheaded play by the defenseman or some shot block getting to the right place.
Being fed the puck means the puck distributor must be effective; here, DD has been snuffed, not due to lack of hard work, but lack of physical ability.

When not scoring on breakaways, Pacioretty has clearly settled into the "finisher" role, letting others do all the work to cause chaos while he waits for the puck to come to him.

ENs, of which he had four, are the result of already having a lead and should count as sort of "skilled" scoring.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 07:35 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
It's getting annoying that Max and DD are doing nothing...

They need to get back down to basics. Crash the net. PU junk rebounds. I know DD is not big and Max doesn't like playing vs Chara but they don't have a choice... Forget about fancy plays. Or setting up the perfect one timer.

Plus Max needs to put on the jets. Make things happen himself. Enough waiting. Forecheck much harder... I saw him losing battles to loose pucks deep in the Bruins zone when skating at 70% speed... That's not good enough. It struck me because Eller or Bourque would have driven much harder to that puck...
Perfect feeds or breakaways make up the bulk of Pacioretty's production. Asking them to play a simpler game is not going to happen. They need the extra space and time of the regular season to make things happen, in addition to **** defense from Ottawa, Toronto, Carolina, Florida, and Ukka Tukka being bad against the Habs in general.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 08:47 PM
Bieber fever

I would consider trading maxpac. his value is all time high

maxpac for Drouin

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 09:17 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Better be hurt. 'Cause that's unacceptable.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 09:22 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Kadri View Post
Pacioretty has disappear in large part due to breakaways for him disappearing. He scored 11 of his 39 goals on breakaways, or a good quart of his production. That that away, and he loses a lot of bite. Other goals are due to sweet feeds to the door step or one-timers from the high slot, faceoff dot, or top of the faceoff circle.

Breakaways are harder to come by in the playoffs because of the quality of teams in general and the fact there is more clutching and grabbing. Never mind that breakaways are usually the result of boneheaded play by the defenseman or some shot block getting to the right place.
Being fed the puck means the puck distributor must be effective; here, DD has been snuffed, not due to lack of hard work, but lack of physical ability.

When not scoring on breakaways, Pacioretty has clearly settled into the "finisher" role, letting others do all the work to cause chaos while he waits for the puck to come to him.

ENs, of which he had four, are the result of already having a lead and should count as sort of "skilled" scoring.
Good point. Pacioretty could have 3-4 more goals if he wasn't snake bitten but that's one aspect that has to be taken in consideration for his lack of production but to play devil's advocate, we've seen many breakaways for Canadiens' players so far in these two series (Gionta, Bourque, Weise, Subban, Gallagher).

As for those bringing up the idea of trading Pacioretty, nope. Unless it's for something crazy like Evander Kane and a nice piece (like a 1st round pick or a combo of Burmistrov's rights and and mid range pick). You can trade a guy like Bourque after these playoffs but you don't panic and trade a guy like Pacioretty over a stretch of games where he didn't score. This is the same logic people were using when they were calling for Eller's heads when he was in a slump.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 09:30 PM
David71

hope patches does something in this series. he's had chances but nothing to show for on the scoresheet. hopefully he scores 2 or 3 or 4. yah im exaggerating to get his confidence going. HE can do it. playoffs we all know is "tight checking no matter who your opposition is. you create your own chances. Patches should power his way to the net. in the slot. NO more perimeter shots. things will happen if he beleives in himself. its quite sad to see 2 smaller guys going to the net hard to sheer determination i.e gallagher/briere. he can be the difference maker.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 09:31 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post

Match ups in the POs are key, and the Bruins are making it a very important part to have Chara on the ice every time Max is.
If this was the only series, yeah, sure, I'd give him a break &not come down so hard on him. But what was the excuse with the Lightning series. And the excuse for last year's playoffs. And his disappearance act for the American team at the Olympics? Was Chara following him in all those situations?

I grew up at a time when they referred to the Habs as money players. When it counted they showed up. Guys like Lemaire, Cournoyer, the Flower.....jeeze even an notorious dog like Frank Mahovlich became a money player with the Habs but today we're looking for excuses to explain a player's no show.

Old
05-09-2014, 09:34 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well, it is acceptable for some fans.

Old
05-09-2014, 09:41 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Well, it is acceptable for some fans.
Shouldn't be. He's a goal scorer that needs to score and implicate himself in the play. I'd love to see our D be much better but we have no scoring from our key guys. How should we expect to win?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 09:44 PM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
If this was the only series, yeah, sure, I'd give him a break &not come down so hard on him. But what was the excuse with the Lightning series. And the excuse for last year's playoffs. And his disappearance act for the American team at the Olympics? Was Chara following him in all those situations?

I grew up at a time when they referred to the Habs as money players. When it counted they showed up. Guys like Lemaire, Cournoyer, the Flower.....jeeze even an notorious dog like Frank Mahovlich became a money player with the Habs but today we're looking for excuses to explain a player's no show.
It's very rarely about "Money Players" anymore.
It has more to with Player's Money.

The gems are fewer and farther between.

Old
05-09-2014, 09:49 PM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
playoffs we all know is "tight checking no matter who your opposition is
Precisely. Pacioretty and Desharnais are not used to that. They've been given very easy minutes for the past three years. Is it much of a surprise that they haven't learned to counter tight checking?

Montreal Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 10:10 PM
S Bah

What's wrong with Max? Hmmm as a Hab, absolutely nothing, he's a great Hab IMHO. A great sportsman in all respects, and a great teammate from everything that I've seen or read about him.

The rest of Max's life isn't any of my business, I'm sure like most of us, he appreciates privacy in a world where sports figures, become children's Idols and every movement he makes is dissected by the media.

Anyway back to Max the Hab, he's great IMHO again, I hope that he has a very long and productive career in hockey with the Habs. Hopefully as an ambassador for the Habs afterwards also, not every person is able to juggle life as a hockey player and represent the best of the Montreal Canadiens attributes all at once, with the aplomb he has.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 10:13 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
So... bench him? Trade him? Write him off?

I hear people say "unacceptable" but what does that mean? What are the consequences?

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote