HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Nik Antropov & Aki Berg

Closed Thread

Old
08-26-2005, 07:58 AM
The Grudge

vCash: 500
Nik Antropov & Aki Berg

First of all, let me state that I am a Leafs fan.

Secondly...
Can someone please explain to me why the Leafs rushed to sign these two plugs.

Antropov has to be the biggest, dumbest, most useless player I have ever seen. So what if he's physically huge, he's unbelieveably slow and plays like it's a Sunday in the park. I don't think I've ever seen him take more than 3 strides in a row.

And Aki Berg?? Your kidding me right?

If the Leafs ever want to win the cup, new rules or not, they need some Defence.
Until they realize that teams like Philly will just punish them for every careless giveaway or man left wide open.

Signing these two lead weights is not helping.

Old
08-26-2005, 08:03 AM
It Kills Me

Antropov at 1 mill is a deal..

Aki solidifies our 6th spot.. (I'm brainwashed)

Old
08-26-2005, 08:34 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grudge

Secondly...

Antropov has to be the biggest, dumbest, most useless player I have ever seen. So what if he's physically huge, he's unbelieveably slow and plays like it's a Sunday in the park. I don't think I've ever seen him take more than 3 strides in a row.

If the Leafs ever want to win the cup, new rules or not, they need some Defence.
Until they realize that teams like Philly will just punish them for every careless giveaway or man left wide open.

After reading the rest of your post, I don't think you'd understand.

Old
08-26-2005, 08:53 AM
The Grudge

I understand this...

No cup since '67 and defensive lapses that look like Novice hockey.

Old
08-26-2005, 08:56 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
I understand this...

No cup since '67 and defensive lapses that look like Novice hockey.
neither player has been there since 67....why pick on those 2? let me guess Domi was a great signing?

Old
08-26-2005, 08:58 AM
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Secondly...

While neither of these players are flawless both are clearly NHL-calibre players with some significant usefulness. Cantropov is not a first liner and will never compete for the Richard and Aki is a 5/6 d-man, they are not uselss slugs such as clod Belak. Every team has Antro/Berg type players.

Most teams tend to be punished for careless giveaways (blame the capable McCabe for these, not Berg) and men left open on any team have a higher probability of scoring. Pretty obvious stuff.

These players can be criticized but your over-the-top negativity is far too harsh and makes any valid arguments you may have less compelling.

IOW if you want to make a point and convince someone to your view try to sound less off-the-wall.

Old
08-26-2005, 09:08 AM
The Grudge

Thanks tips...I'll keep that in mind.

Just remember my "over the top" comments when the Leafs don't make the playoffs.

Old
08-26-2005, 09:08 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:

Secondly...
I have to ask a couple questions so we understand exactly what you mean by Leaf fan.

Have you watched them play?
Have you watched other teams play?

Do you understand that there is no, I repeat NO team in the NHL that has 6 top defenders. Usually, there is a hierarchy of defenders, 1st. pairing, 2nd. pairing, 3rd. pairing, and the time is split amongst those pairings, with the 3rd. pairing getting the least time. Berg is a third pairing player. He'll get amongst the least playing time for the team, and he has adequate skills for that position.

Antropov's skating is not slow. He just isn't quick. He isn't a waterbug type player, but has very good top end speed. This is why I asked if you watched them, because if you had you'd have noticed Antropov can skate faster than quite a few players out there, he just is not quick in getting to top speed. He also has a bit of a mean streak, as Joe Thornton and his dentist about that. He has decent hands, and good size. Add to that he's only 25, and some teams are still raving about their 25 year old prospects. Heck he's the same age as highly touted Ribeiro from Montreal. Do you hear Montreal fans saying lets dump that piece of crap? RIbeiro with his 34 goals, to Nick's 48 goals, both the same age, both drafted in 1998.

Perhaps no one can explain to you why they should keep these players to your satisfaction. I for example don't like Travis Green, I think he's a weasel and not a team player. I got that impression of him from his treatment of teammates in Toronto when he ganged up with Corson and Tucker against some Euro's. I think Roberts felt the same and I use their fight as evidence of that(his) feeling. However, some people like Travis Green. I won't change their opinion, and chances are they won't change mine.

Have a good day.

Old
08-26-2005, 09:11 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:

Just remember my "over the top" comments when the Leafs don't make the playoffs.
I take it you believe Antropov and Berg are two key players, and if the Leafs make the playoffs or miss the playoffs these two will be directly responsible.

I don't give them so much credit.

Old
08-26-2005, 09:18 AM
Hounsy

vCash: 559
So the leafs future failure hinge on a 5-6 defensemen and a third line winger?

Old
08-26-2005, 09:32 AM
Leaf Army

At worst, Antropov is a 40 point player who can play all three forward positions, play smart positional hockey and kill some penalties too.

Plus he's 6'5 and has a bit of a mean streak. Plus he's 25 and still has upside.

What in the hell is wrong with having a player like this on a 2nd or 3rd line? How many teams in the league have better players than this on their 3rd line?

Old
08-26-2005, 09:34 AM
TML

Berg is one of the better bottom pairing defencemen in the league IMO.... what do you expect? Adam Foote and Sergei Gonchar?

Old
08-26-2005, 09:42 AM
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I've already forgotten them.

Old
08-26-2005, 09:47 AM
TML

Heh.

Old
08-26-2005, 10:34 AM
Timmer

I was going to jump in here to try to enlighten our friend but I can see that the Leaf Nation has more than adequately responded. Well done folks.

I wonder if some Leaf fans will ever find satisfaction? My thought is, that as long as they put any stock in the Toronto Media, they will not.

Old
08-26-2005, 10:36 AM
Prince Mercury

I think if Antropov never had that 15 goal game in Khazakstan no one would care he's a mediocre player.

Old
08-26-2005, 10:54 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
At worst, Antropov is a 40 point player who can play all three forward positions, play smart positional hockey and kill some penalties too.

Plus he's 6'5 and has a bit of a mean streak. Plus he's 25 and still has upside.

What in the hell is wrong with having a player like this on a 2nd or 3rd line? How many teams in the league have better players than this on their 3rd line?
Also, Antropov may be the best passer on the Leafs team, and he has incredible ice vision, unfortunately, he doesnt have the quickness to match.
although, one on one he can still turn most d-men inside out (even with his slow feet)

...and Berg is as solid a 5-6 d-man as you can find, also still young. ...he can kill penalties, and doesnt take too many foolish ones himself.

Old
08-26-2005, 11:39 AM
The Grudge

Quote:
Also, Antropov may be the best passer on the Leafs team, and he has incredible ice vision
Are you insane? Whenever someone passes the puck to Antropov he has no idea what the hell to do with it. That is IF it doesn't get lost between his slow moving skates.

Quote:
Antropov's skating is not slow. He just isn't quick. He isn't a waterbug type player, but has very good top end speed. This is why I asked if you watched them, because if you had you'd have noticed Antropov can skate faster than quite a few players out there, he just is not quick in getting to top speed.
I have watched them...and that top speed your talking about happens about one time in every 3 games. The rest of the time he's out wandering like he doesn't know how to play his position. And the last time I checked things happen pretty quickly in the NHL...not being able to get up to speed quickly leaves you dead in the water.

He's slow, he has no idea what to do with the puck except skate forwards until someone picks it from his slow-moving stick, and he skates like he couldn't care less about a damn thing.

Old
08-26-2005, 11:51 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Are you insane? Whenever someone passes the puck to Antropov he has no idea what the hell to do with it. That is IF it doesn't get lost between his slow moving skates.

I have watched them...and that top speed your talking about happens about one time in every 3 games. The rest of the time he's out wandering like he doesn't know how to play his position. And the last time I checked things happen pretty quickly in the NHL...not being able to get up to speed quickly leaves you dead in the water.

He's slow, he has no idea what to do with the puck except skate forwards until someone picks it from his slow-moving stick, and he skates like he couldn't care less about a damn thing.
http://www.zetatalk.com/shelter/tshlt04c.htm

Recipe for Six Adobe Bricks
Time required: about one month (most of it waiting for bricks to dry).
Cost: little or nothing
Materials:

One five-gallon bucket
One mixing stick or old wooden spoon
1/2 bucket of adobe clay
1/4 bucket of sand
1/8 bucket of straw cut into two-to-three-inch pieces
Enough water to make a doughlike consistency
Six empty half-gallon waxed milk containers OR six 4 * 11 * 22 inch wooden brick molds, which can be made from 2-by-4s nailed together
Waterproof tape
One Grudge

Old
08-26-2005, 11:53 AM
Pappy

Quote:

Secondly...

He has no other options these guys are affordable, who else could they have gotten for the same money, just look around at the contracts handed out to guys who were UFA's, I agree their underachievers but if they were UFA's they would have commanded more money than the Leafs are paying them this season. Most Leaf fans just haven't adjusted to the new NHL the days of the Leafs having more clout financially are over and most Leaf fans just can't accept it. We're still in Rehab trying to get over an addiction that we never thought we would have to give up $$$$$$

Old
08-26-2005, 11:58 AM
Leaf the Lucky

I hate to break it to you but in the last two seasons he has made some sick passes out of nowhere. In terms of hockey sense, Nik is one of the smarter people on the team. He just looks awkward because he's so freaking big.

Old
08-26-2005, 12:05 PM
ThinMcWhistle

I guess we are to expect that the Leafs put together an all-star team with a 39 million salary cap?. Antropov and Berg may not be the best players out there, but they are more than a good tradeoff for their salary and position.
I was one of the first people to get Antropov sown on my Leafs jersey, and that is because he impressed the hell out of me when the first made his appearance with the blue & white. He has had horrible luck with injuries etc, but it looks as if he may finally have recovered from that. I think there is a huge upside to this kid, and I remain opstimistic that he will become a solid player for years to come.

Old
08-26-2005, 12:05 PM
mydnyte

Quote:
I did say passer, did i not? ...the meaning is he is the one making the pass ...he is a playmaker with soft hands.

Old
08-26-2005, 12:19 PM
SensItComing

Ottawa perspective

At $1 mil I would take Antropov on the Sens in a hearbeat. Don't expect him to be the go-to-guy, but at $1 mill he had better not be anyway.

As for Aki Berg, I might sign him for my AHL (or ECHL squad) but then again I might not.

Old
08-26-2005, 12:35 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:

Secondly...

And also gets 45 points in a season while playing somewhat physically. He's also 25, and isn't nearly as slow as people make him out to be. He's also cut down on his propensity to take bad penalties each season. These players aren't dime-a-dozen.

He's a fine #5 or #6, he doesn't make magnificient plays but he's rarely embarrassed either. That said, $1 million was too much.

I doubt its our (realistic) goal to win the cup this year.

Yeah, yeah it is.

Closed Thread