HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

5/7/14: 11:30am Press Conference (Holmgren to President, Hextall to GM)

Old
05-07-2014, 06:26 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
Look at the even strength scoring that Curufinwe posted in another thread...
Giroux 49
Voracek 39
Simmonds 36
Read 34
Hartnell 32
BSchenn 32
Couturier 31
Streit 29
Lecavalier 24
Raffl 22

... you have a guy who spent almost the entire season on the top line and and he has 32 ES points playing with Giroux and Voracek. That isn't acceptable. He's put in a position to score. Couturier and Read do all of the heavy lifting and score the same or more than him. That shouldn't happen.
Voracek had 7 more points...is that acceptable? How many more points did he need? Seven? Five?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 06:34 PM
ILoveStephanieBrown

vCash: 500
For those who were asking about what input/thoughts he has on MacD's contract, Via @philabright:

Quote:
Ron Hextall on Andrew MacDonald's contract: "Did we love the cap number? No." He's honest, have to like that.
Quote:
He explains how Mac would have gotten more on market. They were in bad position -- he likes Mac.
Quote:
That's the game you play when you NEED market D.

ILoveStephanieBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 06:44 PM
The Rage Kage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
LA's minor league head coach decided to leave & look for a new job today, apparently looking for an NHL job in coaching. It will be interesting if Hextall makes a play for him here & adds him to the staff.
He did say that he liked people who he's already worked with... He could maybe be an assistant coach to start and take over from Berube if we don't do as well as he would like

The Rage Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 06:48 PM
RJ8812*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage Kage View Post
He did say that he liked people who he's already worked with... He could maybe be an assistant coach to start and take over from Berube if we don't do as well as he would like
Just as long as our farm team is running the same system as the Flyers

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 06:55 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Voracek had 7 more points...is that acceptable? How many more points did he need? Seven? Five?
No, of course not. Jake had a down year. He needs to be better also.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 06:57 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
LA's minor league head coach decided to leave & look for a new job today, apparently looking for an NHL job in coaching. It will be interesting if Hextall makes a play for him here & adds him to the staff.
Good catch. I remember rumors about him last year when Hexy jumped ship. Don't be surprised if he ends up with the Phantoms or replaces Paddock on the big team.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 06:59 PM
BlameUtley
When all else fails

vCash: 230
just got to wait and see with him as gm, have no body of work to off of.

05-07-2014, 07:01 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Yea the diff there is you would say jake needs to continue to get better. Where as Hartnell that's not really applicable. I'm ok with Hartnell if there are no better options. But after next year that won't be the case.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 07:08 PM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
Wait and see? Jim Henson had a wait and see attitude. Now we have wrong sounding muppets!

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 07:10 PM
UKFlyers

Quote:
I remember speculation at the time of Hextall's arrival from the Kings fans that he may make a move for Morris as he championed him when they were together in the Kings org. I expect that he isn't leaving just to be an assistant though. Maybe Vancouver?

UKFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 07:14 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
I don't know about that, it depends on your definition of big. I think a player over 6'0" & 200 lbs. is what I would consider a good size. If you use that as guideline than most of the best puck movers in league are at least that size or bigger.

I don't know if I would consider Hagg not big neither, he's 6'2" & 210 lbs. while still in the process of adding weight, Luke Schenn's 6'2" 225 lbs. & people consider him big.
Hagg has a really good combo of size and skating ability.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 07:21 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKFlyers View Post
I remember speculation at the time of Hextall's arrival from the Kings fans that he may make a move for Morris as he championed him when they were together in the Kings org. I expect that he isn't leaving just to be an assistant though. Maybe Vancouver?
I don't know honestly but the feeling over there is that he wants to move up to the NHL regardless if it's the head coach or the assistant coach.

His assistant down there as well who many of them thought was going to be his successor left as well.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 05-07-2014 at 07:26 PM.
LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 07:25 PM
MadFerIt95*

I have a good feeling about Hextall. Think they're going to let him do things his way and stray away from being the Broad street Bullies in order to get a faster, smarter team. But we're just going to have to wait and see I guess.

MadFerIt95* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 07:26 PM
BlameUtley
When all else fails

vCash: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
Wait and see? Jim Henson had a wait and see attitude. Now we have wrong sounding muppets!
that green frog is pretty cool.

BlameUtley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 07:33 PM
The Rage Kage

Quote:
And he gets better with a good left winger with him and g or if he gets minutes on the second with some good shooters

The Rage Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 08:15 PM
daynus

hexy was one of my

all time fav flyers.

if anyone can lead us to the promised land, ron hextall could-should be the guy to do so.

in ron we trust.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 08:19 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
if he hasn't brought us a cup by August fire the bum.

Promote the new assistant GM, that guy has been epic so far, not a single bad decision.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 09:07 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
I don't know if it's been reported but Hextall said "there guys locked up that, that maybe don't fit with us? Maybe." I have to imagine he's talking about Vinny.

He also said they were a pretty good team this year (he said the Rangers "didn't beat us", but rather the Flyers lost it themselves) and that they will improve just from the young guys improving. "We'll be better from within". He went on to say that if he can improve the team through a deal though he will (he used the phrase better fit, that is if one player is a better fit then the guy they already have).
I thought that was significant since I think one of Homer's shortcomings was putting together a roster that fit together well. He acquired a bunch of nice pieces but those pieces have frequently not really fit well together. It will be interesting to see how Hextall approaches this. I don't think it will be particularly easy.

JackStraw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 09:15 PM
deadhead

Think the best sign Hextall understands what's required is that he thinks the three young defensemen are 2-3 years away, and he's willing to wait for them - which suggests he's not under pressure to produce a quick fix (Snider must have gotten a clean bill of health).

In turn, this suggests he can move out veterans gradually, not get ripped off in salary dumps, and hold on to his draft picks.

The key is to build up organizational depth, once you've got depth down to the AHL, only THEN does it make sense to package a young player or two with a high draft pick to obtain a "perfect fit," and even then, you should be talking someone 26-27 years old, in their peak years, not the Holmgren 32+ year old "name" special.

deadhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 09:16 PM
Azir
What's your point?

Quote:
I don't think he had that bad of a year. Like Giroux he had a very slow start. 4 points in 15 games to be exact. After game 15 he was pacing for over 70 points.

Azir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 09:17 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I think we're in for an interesting offseason, I wouldn't be surprised to see Hexy shake it up a little to put his mark on the club.

I could see our first rounder combined with a few players being used as trade bait to get some help now.

Old
05-07-2014, 09:18 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

What a glorious day

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2015

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 09:21 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Look at the even strength scoring that Curufinwe posted in another thread...
Giroux 49
Voracek 39
Simmonds 36
Read 34
Hartnell 32
BSchenn 32
Couturier 31
Streit 29
Lecavalier 24
Raffl 22

... you have a guy who spent almost the entire season on the top line and and he has 32 ES points playing with Giroux and Voracek. That isn't acceptable. He's put in a position to score. Couturier and Read do all of the heavy lifting and score the same or more than him. That shouldn't happen.
If you look around the league, there's maybe 10 or so third wheels that outproduced Hartnell:
Lucic
Hossa
Burns
Ladd
Jussi Jokinen
Backes/Oshie
MacKinnon

You could make the argument for a couple other guys when considering PPG pace and shuffling lines, but all things considered, it really isn't that bad. The real problem is the lack of secondary scoring.

EDIT: And defense/transition game. Fix both of those things, and you'll see the first line's production go up as well. It's one area where the team really misses Carle (what!? Blasphemy!)

Last edited by Norm MacDonald: 05-07-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 10:05 PM
sa cyred
Trying to Chill

Quote:
I think we're in for an interesting offseason, I wouldn't be surprised to see Hexy shake it up a little to put his mark on the club.

I could see our first rounder combined with a few players being used as trade bait to get some help now.
Remember even Hexy himself said theyd like to build through the draftt. Unless its a great deal I cant see him packaging the 1st and young players for just now help. Just the he talked about the, makes it sound like they will try to peave that philosophy. The 17th pick isnt something to sneeze about. Its a pretty good pick.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 10:20 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Remember even Hexy himself said theyd like to build through the draftt. Unless its a great deal I cant see him packaging the 1st and young players for just now help. Just the he talked about the, makes it sound like they will try to peave that philosophy. The 17th pick isnt something to sneeze about. Its a pretty good pick.
In the long run I'm sure he would like to do that but as of right now the roster could use some upgrades in certain positions & if there was ever a draft to trade your first rounder from it would be this one. As of right now our most lucrative assets that could be traded are Coburn, Brayden, & that pick.

Despite Hextall's comments I wouldn't be surprised if it's moved in a package to upgrade some holes, Giroux's in his prime & not getting any younger.

Personally I'm not opposed to either way he chooses to go.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 05-07-2014 at 10:28 PM.