HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Arthur Michael Robert Weaver ''Mike'' Weaver

Old
05-12-2014, 10:57 PM
David71

vCash: 500
hes been a solid solid pickup for the habs. such a rock defensively.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 11:00 PM
dcyhabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
He's a must sign for me. This pick up was a real victory for our pro scouting, he was the oasis in the desert that was the Panthers defence.

If his current level of play is what he's capable of it would be a real sign of strength and depth if Weaver was a fourth pairing guy next year.

Everybody knows Vanek from the stats but the pro scouts really pulled rabbits out of hats with Weise and Weaver. Very pleased.
Such a relief considering the number of trades since '93 where the habs didn't even know their own players much less the ones on other teams. I expected to miss Diaz but he's probably available should anyone want him, and he wouldn't make the current team.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 11:05 PM
dcyhabs

Weaver is benefiting from being able to exploit matchups while Gorges plays tough minutes. Being able to play Weaver on the third pairing is an incredible luxury. The gulf from Weaver/Beaulieu to Murray/Bouillon/Tinordi (though Tinordi will get better) is huge. Swap Murray for Beaulieu or even Bouillon in games 4 and/or 5 and the series does not go back to Boston.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 11:22 PM
Natey
#feelthelove

Weaver had a few hiccups to start the game tonight, but it was expected. He was finally free!

I bet he was much happier with tonight's game and getting to play with a mobile defenseman than he was previously.

Mike Weaver leads the club in +/- and that's playing with Francis Bouillon and Douglas Murray for 90% of the games.

Beaulieu is now a +13 in 24 career NHL games. That's ****ing insane.

PS. I didn't think our PK could get much better when we acquired him. I was wrong. He's a god on the PK. Hal Gill like levels of awesome.

Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 11:55 PM
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
I'd keep him. Without question. One year deal, for the same money. At most the money Cube got this year.

Then, rotate Beaulieu and Tinordi in and out of the line up.

BLNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 12:22 AM
Habs

Leave It To Weaver ④③

- Habs, HF 2014

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 02:30 AM
Hackett
BAKAMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNY View Post
I'd keep him. Without question. One year deal, for the same money. At most the money Cube got this year.

Then, rotate Beaulieu and Tinordi in and out of the line up.
He reminds me of mike commodore from the mid 2000 playoff runs in the sense that he always seems to be in the way, and is playing way above himself.

You need these types of guys to win, but beyond this year, like commodore, it can self destruct at any time. I would probably extend him by one year, in an ideal world.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 06:35 AM
Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
He reminds me of mike commodore from the mid 2000 playoff runs in the sense that he always seems to be in the way, and is playing way above himself.

You need these types of guys to win, but beyond this year, like commodore, it can self destruct at any time. I would probably extend him by one year, in an ideal world.
I'd only sign Weaver for 1-year, but he's been a reliable defenseman for years.

Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 07:31 AM
yianik

Weaver is making $1.1 M this year and has played very solidly for us in the bottom pair. He is also a RHD which to me makes him more attractive.

Kudos for the pro scouts in finding this guy. Only problem is he is no longer a secret if he ever was. Given that he is 35 I am guessing term is very important to Weaver and wonder if he will hold out to UFA status just in case he can land a 2 year deal.

Since we have this young trio from the AHL and since they need to be played, and likely all 3 ( I know Pateryn will, guessing on Tinordi and Beaulieu ) will have to clear waivers in 2015-16, we need the bottom pairing and 7th spot reserved for them in case they are all good enough. Which means any vet signed for the bottom 3 spots can only be for one year.

I would offer Weaver a one year deal for $1.5 M or so, that would hopefully entice him to do 1 year and not wait for 2 years. I also wouldn't quibble over $100Gs or so, though I think $1.5M is a very good offer.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 08:40 AM
JLP
Refugee

Some people are all excited based on 20 games. Remember Weaver is 36 and he's playing his heart out for a new contract. Good for us now but an aging 5'9" defenceman is not what the team needs going forward. Hope his agent gets him gets a spot somewhere based on his performance these playoffs.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 08:43 AM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Some people are all excited based on 20 games. Remember Weaver is 36 and he's playing his heart out for a new contract. Good for us now but an aging 5'9" defenceman is not what the team needs going forward. Hope his agent gets him gets a spot somewhere based on his performance these playoffs.
I sign him tomorrow. His Glove-Hand is worth the price by itself...

10 of which are playoff games in which he has impressed in just about every one...
His right handedness is more important than you seem to think.
I for one don't ever want to see Tinordi on that side...

Rapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 08:47 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
i know what you MEAN, but weaver will be re-signed, no doubt about it

bouillons gone, murrays gone, but weavers staying, and the other d spot goes to a rookie, this is what should happen, and god willing this is what might happen

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 08:56 AM
JLP
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
i know what you MEAN, but weaver will be re-signed, no doubt about it

bouillons gone, murrays gone, but weavers staying, and the other d spot goes to a rookie, this is what should happen, and god willing this is what might happen
But why "no doubt" because I can't see MB making the same mistake again. The smallest squad in the NHL, we lose one old small player (Cube, God-willing), and then turn around and add another old small player? These are exciting times and I get the Weaver-love but looking at it rationally there are much better options than having Weaver through age 38.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 09:07 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
But why "no doubt" because I can't see MB making the same mistake again. The smallest squad in the NHL, we lose one old small player (Cube, God-willing), and then turn around and add another old small player? These are exciting times and I get the Weaver-love but looking at it rationally there are much better options than having Weaver through age 38.
its gonna be a 1 year deal

and after that year, beaulieu and tinordi will be rounding out the 6 D's

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 09:53 AM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcyhabs View Post
Weaver is benefiting from being able to exploit matchups while Gorges plays tough minutes. Being able to play Weaver on the third pairing is an incredible luxury. The gulf from Weaver/Beaulieu to Murray/Bouillon/Tinordi (though Tinordi will get better) is huge. Swap Murray for Beaulieu or even Bouillon in games 4 and/or 5 and the series does not go back to Boston.
Weaver is benefiting from nothing.
To say he is exploiting anything is a stretch.
I don't quite equate the 3rd pairing and incredible luxury.
MB et al didn't opt to pick up Weaver to run our PP if we were talking a Timo or a Letang sure.
He is playing exactly where they envisioned him playing.
The only thing that may have happened is he is actually getting more
minutes because of his excellent play.

Old
05-13-2014, 10:14 AM
optimus2861

Quote:
There are 82 games next year, so 164 man-games to be assigned on the third pairing. Sign Weaver to a 1-year deal with the expectation that those 164 man-games will be roughly evenly split between Beaulieu, Tinordi or Pateryn, and Weaver. About 50-55 games each, with variations depending on hot streaks, injuries, etc.

That's not unreasonable for a 36-yo third-pairing D. The bonus for a guy in Weaver's situation in re-signing here is, as he's seeing right now, this team is getting close to making a serious Cup run. Other teams who might want to sign him (I genuinely don't know who) may not be in that position.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 10:22 AM
Devourers

vCash: 50
This guy just puzzles me. He's had a lengthy career and while he was good, he was never THIS good.

Is Bergevin a genius? Is it a fluke? Or is this guy just loving our team?

I can't say which, but it sure does make Bergevin look brilliant. We got this guy for what... a 5th? He's been such an impact player for us, when in reality the most we expected was depth.

Even if we lose the series tomorrow, I can still safely say Bergevin put us in a position to succeed, and so did Weaver. The guy gave us 110% since he got here.

Devourers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 10:42 AM
windycity

I'd resign him for sure - 1 year deal tho

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 11:47 AM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
I'd resign him for sure - 1 year deal tho
Exactly,
Signing Weaver can only help.
We don't seem to have the resources available on RD like we do on LD.
I'm not keen on Emelin playing his wrong side let alone any of the kids.
What we do with Markov and even Gorges will determine the future of our blue.
Not what we do or don't do with Weaver.

Old
05-13-2014, 12:43 PM
Captain Subban

Weaver won't be staying. Teams are watching his performance. He'll get $2M from a team desperately needing reliable defence.

Captain Subban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 01:49 PM
Strat

You can never have enough depth reliable D-men.

Sign him.

Strat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 02:00 PM
Guilliam

Weaver would be the perfect vet to play alongside our rookies on the 3rd pairing.

- He's a RD which is perfect with Tinordi and Beaulieu both being LD.

- He's a vet who leads by example by leaving it all out on the ice and plays a solid defensive game, which would be quite beneficial for young Ds experiencing growing pains.

I wouldn't even mind signing him for 2 years at 2mil. per. You can easily swap him in the 2nd year for a team looking for D depth, specially now that he has shown he's a playoff warrior.

We pretty much always carry 8D anyway,so Tinordi, Beaulieu, Pateryn and Weaver are your bottom 4 with Weaver playing less and less as the time goes and the rookies improve.

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 02:13 PM
WhiskeySeven
Expect the expected

vCash: 300
I liked the trade despite my hangups on Bergevin but didn't expect him to be this composed and this steady. Freaking Bouillon and Murray ought to learn a thing or two.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 02:18 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I liked the trade despite my hangups on Bergevin but didn't expect him to be this composed and this steady. Freaking Bouillon and Murray ought to learn a thing or two.
you do have to admit that he's made some very good acquisitions for the playoffs - Vanek, Weise and Weaver.

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2014, 11:49 AM
joe6pack

Excellent read on Mike Weaver. He has all the makings of a coach in his career.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hoc...hl-career.html

joe6pack is offline   Reply With Quote