HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Arthur Michael Robert Weaver ''Mike'' Weaver

Old
06-12-2014, 09:46 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
2. How would Weaver at $1.5 - 2m affect Greg Pateryn, a RD who led all Dogs D in scoring, is 6'2" and 220lbs. Will MT play the vet over the kid (who by the way turns 24 this week). I think many fear this may happen, or worse, that a Bouillon-Weaver pairing is possible ⊙﹏⊙
I don't believe that Therrien will ever use Pateryn, Tinordi, and Beaulieu together. There WILL be a veteran depth defender in the mix one way or the other. So there is no effect on Pateryn... he'll be battling with Tinordi and Beaulieu for icetime, never with the veteran guy. And as long as we are going to have a veteran guy in the mix, Weaver is a good one.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 09:52 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I don't believe that Therrien will ever use Pateryn, Tinordi, and Beaulieu together. There WILL be a veteran depth defender in the mix one way or the other. So there is no effect on Pateryn... he'll be battling with Tinordi and Beaulieu for icetime, never with the veteran guy. And as long as we are going to have a veteran guy in the mix, Weaver is a good one.
Agreed. I say there is next to no chance that Beaulieu, Tinordi AND Pateryn all start the season in Montreal assuming a healthy lineup.

If Weaver does not re-sign with us, the Habs will be on the market for another veteran bottom pair guy. The 3 "kids" will battle it out for the #6/7 spots.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 09:55 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Weaver showed a competitive streak and a willingness to contribute. These types of players are worth more than the Lecavaliers and Vaneks of the world who are immensely talented but care more about their paycheck.

He seems like he's found a fountain of youth through a fresh start. Bergevin should run with this for as long as it's working out.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 12:48 PM
Noob616

Quote:
how do you explain him being on a two-way contract at age 30, or bouncing around so much, or his market value being so low?
He's short.

We're talking about a league where Doug Murray fetched two 2nd rounders and Gallagher was taken in the 5th round.

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 12:52 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Of the three kids you mentioned only Pateryn is a RD, so he's the guy Weaver might displace. We are full on LD. Especially young D should play on their natural side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob616 View Post
He's short.

We're talking about a league where Doug Murray fetched two 2nd rounders and Gallagher was taken in the 5th round.
Well Gallagher was a hidden gem, happens with big and small players; and Murray got that return after being a Swedish Olympian he had not slowed down so much yet. But yeah Weaver's size has worked against him for sure. But that's the market, how can we say the market is wrong?

JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2014, 02:45 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Of the three kids you mentioned only Pateryn is a RD, so he's the guy Weaver might displace. We are full on LD. Especially young D should play on their natural side.
I don't find the Habs to be particularly religious about this. Emelin could go back to LD and both Weaver and Pateryn play RD if that's the way they wanted to go. It's still going to be kids vs. kids in terms of making the team, and a veteran D will be signed. If it's a veteran RD, maybe that plays into whether you called Pateryn #6 or #7, but he'd still have to beat out Tinordi or Beaulieu instead of a veteran depth D to even be in the conversation.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 05:20 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
I understand the arguments for Weaver. And I don't want to go back-and-forth on this forever, so here's my position against him, which is less about him and more about our team's needs in the overall sense:

We are the league's smallest team. The Los Angeles Kings are about to win the Stanley Cup with just THREE guys who are 6' or less in height (link) on their active roster. The Habs on the other hand have THIRTEEN players who are 6' or less on their active roster (link).

Weaver is a 5'9" journeyman bottom-pairing defenceman with heart. But whatever exceptions or arguments are made in his favour, the undeniable fact is that adding small players is how a small team happens. No excuses: Stop signing smurfs.
I'm with you for the bold part, except...a few like Gallagher and Weaver.

Weaver is like the Gallagher of dmen...not big/tall, but as effective as a 6'2 player and more because of huge warrior heart.

L.A. would take Gallagher on their 2nd or 3rd line and Weaver as 6th dman (imo) anyday.

Desharnais and Gionta have to go...sooner than later.
(prediction: DD will stay here for another 1-2yrs...and Gionta should only be signed as a 3rd liner at $2.5-3mil/year or nothing at all...imo).

And about getting bigger/better:
I'm all for signing Matt Greene (big/tall L.A. rightie #5-6 dman).
Weaver (re-signing him) and M.Greene would improve our #4-6 D-core depth, imo.
(Tinordi and Beaulieu as #6-7 until they are fully ready/developed/confident...give them more AHL time if that's what is needed...more ice-time, more confidence,etc).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 06-13-2014 at 06:05 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2014, 08:09 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob616 View Post
He's short.
And simultaneously at his most AND least effective when lying on the ice (which is all the time), which isn't a good thing.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote