HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Dustin Brown

Closed Thread

Old
08-25-2005, 03:45 PM
Histrion

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Histrion
Dustin Brown

Hi guys! Habs fan here seeking for some first-hand opinion on Dustrin Brown. May you excuse my grammar mistakes in advance as I am not quite mastering this second language...

First of all, what kind of player is he? Is he throwing his weight around a lot? Does he tend to get injured? Where do you guys expect him to fit in your team for the upcoming season and beyond? And, finally, the ever predictable: what is his upside?

Thanks a lot guys! And I wish you a good, injury-free (), season of hockey! We've been yearning for that long enough, it's time to rejoice. Also, congrats to your GM for drafting properly and having an impressive amount of good prospects, your team could be a real force in a few seasons.

Old
08-25-2005, 03:48 PM
Matt13

check out this thread. It has video highlights....

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=162213

Old
08-25-2005, 03:50 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
He's comparable to Adam Deadmarsh just without that fighting spirit.

Old
08-25-2005, 03:59 PM
TwzKing

Send a message via AIM to TwzKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
He's comparable to Adam Deadmarsh just without that fighting spirit.

Yet...

Old
08-25-2005, 04:10 PM
Santeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Histrion
May you excuse my grammar mistakes in advance as I am not quite mastering this second language...
For what it is worth your English was exemplary in the message you wrote, especially since it is a second language. Keep it up!

Old
08-25-2005, 04:13 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
The Kings are very high on Brown. He and Gleason are expected to make the team out of camp
Depending on how the lines are juggled. Brown could play anywhere from the first to third lines. Likely, the second.

Old
08-25-2005, 04:35 PM
Kick

Quote:
First of all, what kind of player is he?
Very talented - Handles the puck well - Very good skater - Smooth moves - Knows how to score. 29 goals & 45 assists last season in Manchester.
Quote:
Is he throwing his weight around a lot??
Yes - Not affraid to hit or be hit.
Quote:
Does he tend to get injured?
Played in 79 of 80 games last season despite taking some heavy hit. KO once by a hit from behind. Had to leave the game but was back out there the next game. Lost 5 teeth from a stick to the mouth one game & 2 or three more teeth another game.
Quote:
And, finally, the ever predictable: what is his upside?
I only see him as getting better.

Old
08-25-2005, 05:59 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
The Kings are very high on Brown. He and Gleason are expected to make the team out of camp
Depending on how the lines are juggled. Brown could play anywhere from the first to third lines. Likely, the second.

Not as long as Andy Murray is coach and Valeri Bure is playing. Murray prefers the vets and Bure pushes Cammy and Brown off the top 2 lines.

I scartched my head when DT signed this chump and I scratch my head when the Kings say they want to inject youth and keep Andy Murray as coach...

Old
08-25-2005, 06:21 PM
Fingolfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah
Not as long as Andy Murray is coach and Valeri Bure is playing. Murray prefers the vets and Bure pushes Cammy and Brown off the top 2 lines.
You're assuming Robitaille and Bure BOTH get consistant top-6 icetime. I wouldn't be so sure...

--
Fin

Old
08-25-2005, 06:23 PM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
I scratched my head when DT signed this chump and I scratch my head when the Kings say they want to inject youth and keep Andy Murray as coach...
It's a doubt I share with you.

Old
08-25-2005, 06:54 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

well...do we really want our season's offensive effectiveness to be determined so much by 2 kids who have never played a whole season in the NHL before?

I think signing Bure is a good, becuase he would provide good offense at very little cost to the team...and he allows Cammy and Brown to be eased into the league, providing offense at their own pace rather than demanding top 6 production from them as rookies

Old
08-25-2005, 09:50 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy
well...do we really want our season's offensive effectiveness to be determined so much by 2 kids who have never played a whole season in the NHL before?

I think signing Bure is a good, becuase he would provide good offense at very little cost to the team...and he allows Cammy and Brown to be eased into the league, providing offense at their own pace rather than demanding top 6 production from them as rookies
Right, but how can they provide offense if they aren't put in a situation where it's possible?

08-25-2005, 09:51 PM
Hatter
All about the Bob

Quote:

I scartched my head when DT signed this chump and I scratch my head when the Kings say they want to inject youth and keep Andy Murray as coach...
Nah, Luc will be on the third line and Brown will be on the second line. I belive the 2nd and third will look like this

Brown - Conroy - Bure/Cammalleri
Robitaille - Army/Belly - Cammalleri/Bure

Old
08-25-2005, 09:57 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter
Nah, Luc will be on the third line and Brown will be on the second line. I belive the 2nd and third will look like this

Brown - Conroy - Bure/Cammalleri
Robitaille - Army/Belly - Cammalleri/Bure
Where are Roenick and Demitra? Brown will get some time on the 2nd line, but will play mainly on the 3rd line.

And why are you guys so worried about who plays on what line? AM mixes up his lines so often that the kids will get plenty of time playing with offensive players who will allow them to put up points.....

Last edited by Reaper45: 08-25-2005 at 11:01 PM.
Old
08-25-2005, 10:55 PM
bland

Quote:

Maybe you have dandruff.

Old
08-25-2005, 11:03 PM
bland

How does this sound...

Frolov - Demitra - Bure
Robitaille - Roenick - Brown
Cammalleri - Conroy - Klatt
Avery - Belanger - Kostopolous

Cowan/Armstrong/Flinn

Of course, this is based on Klatt committing to the team, Cammy not being dealt for a defenseman, and Tukonen and Tambellini not blowing anyone away at camp.

I've posted this ad nauseum, but I think Army is best suited for Manchester - they need offensive centers, he's the right role model for the kids, and there are more vital roles to be filled in LA than having an offensive minded center sit in the stands.

Old
08-26-2005, 12:45 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Right, but how can they provide offense if they aren't put in a situation where it's possible?
but you're assuming that if given the opportunity, they will produce like regular top 6's...

this is not a sure bet....i would rather take my chances with proven vets, who have shown consistent scoring ability in the past....and allow the kids to be eased into the league...

i'm not the only one who saw Brown play 2 years ago...injured or not, it was clear that he was not a top 6 guy...i'm sure he's improved tons, but he has not shown that he capable of carrying such a load in the NHL, and it shouldnt be expected of him...i think DT knows what he's doing

Old
08-26-2005, 01:41 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

I'm not really assuming anything. If they don't get top six ice time, they won't produce, or even resemble a top six forward. That's a fact.

We can't risk losing either of these guys on waivers, so it's pretty much been "decided" that neither Cammy or Brown will get too much of a shot since Bure was signed. One or both of those two are already better than Bure.

He's not that great of a player, and one for sure who won't fit into AM's "system". So if we signed him to play purely and offensive role(the only thing that he's really good at) why not put Cammalleri there? Given top line ice time I know he will put up the points. He most has already done that. He got bumped down to the lower lines only due to his defensive play; and that's improved.

It works both ways. You can lose confidence in playing in the NHL too soon, or you can lose it by management never really giving you a shot.

Old
08-26-2005, 09:57 AM
Histrion

Send a message via MSN to Histrion
Thanks for the help guys, it's very appreciated.

Old
08-26-2005, 03:30 PM
Dave in LA
Chick Magnet

Here are the lines I would try in camp:

Frolov/Roenick/Cammy
Brown/Demitra/Bure
Robitaille/Conroy/Klatt
Cowan/Belanger or Army/Avery

Line 1 = Speed, Grit and Skill
Line 2 = Brown would be perfect on that line
Line 3 = Energy Line with scoring ability
Line 4 = Grinder Line

D

Old
08-26-2005, 03:38 PM
Reaper45

What the hell is up with Klatt? Is he going to play or what?

Old
08-26-2005, 03:48 PM
Osprey

Quote:
We can't risk losing either of these guys on waivers, so it's pretty much been "decided" that neither Cammy or Brown will get too much of a shot since Bure was signed.
That's only if there are no injuries. It's kind of baffling that, coming off of a season in which nearly half the team was injured at any one time, people envision an upcoming season without injury. Let's say that DT hadn't signed Bure and one of the top 6 (maybe even Brown or Cammalleri) gets injured during training camp or a few games into the season. The FA pickins would be dried up. Fans would be crying Man, we're screwed... DT should've planned for this. Instead, the Kings are well-positioned to absorb up to two forward injuries.

There will be injuries and Brown and Cammalleri will get more than enough opportunity with the Kings. I wouldn't worry.

Old
08-26-2005, 04:38 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

Quote:
I'm not really assuming anything. If they don't get top six ice time, they won't produce, or even resemble a top six forward. That's a fact.

We can't risk losing either of these guys on waivers, so it's pretty much been "decided" that neither Cammy or Brown will get too much of a shot since Bure was signed. One or both of those two are already better than Bure.

He's not that great of a player, and one for sure who won't fit into AM's "system". So if we signed him to play purely and offensive role(the only thing that he's really good at) why not put Cammalleri there? Given top line ice time I know he will put up the points. He most has already done that. He got bumped down to the lower lines only due to his defensive play; and that's improved.

It works both ways. You can lose confidence in playing in the NHL too soon, or you can lose it by management never really giving you a shot.
i'm not trying to be a jerk...but it sure seemed like your whole post was full of assumptions....no one knows who's better between Bure and Cammy....CAmmy has done great in the AHL, but has yet to fully prove himself in the NHL....Bure has consistently scored between 25-35 goals given the right situations, but he has been on the decline in many ppl's eyes....so there's no way to say definitively that CAmmy is better...

in my oppinion, its likely that Cammy can produce offensively if given the chance, but to say that he's a sure-fire top 6 guy is an assumption at this point....Bure, who also is a risk, is i think a smaller risk becuase he's proven himself in at this level

Old
08-26-2005, 05:16 PM
Kick

Dustin Brown Bobblehead Night

In Manchester on January 7th.

Link

Old
08-26-2005, 07:28 PM
Hatter
All about the Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
Where are Roenick and Demitra? Brown will get some time on the 2nd line, but will play mainly on the 3rd line.

And why are you guys so worried about who plays on what line? AM mixes up his lines so often that the kids will get plenty of time playing with offensive players who will allow them to put up points.....

um those were the second and third line. I think the first is pretty set (of course I could be wrong) Frolov - Roenick - Demitra

Closed Thread