HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

VAN-FLA-NJ proposal...

Closed Thread

Old
08-26-2005, 11:21 AM
Peter Griffin

vCash: 500
VAN-FLA-NJ proposal...

A certain blogger mentioned that New Jersey, Florida and Vancouver may be in trade talks with the centerpiece being Luongo. Anyway, I'm not using this as a source but merely a starting point for an idea.

To Florida

Ed Jovanovski
Dan Cloutier
Jamie Langenbrunner
Jeff Friesen
Matt Cooke

To Vancouver

Roberto Luongo
Colin White

To New Jersey

Kristian Huselius
2nd and 3rd round pick from Vancouver
2nd round pick from Florida

The sticking point in this trade is salary movement. Florida takes on over $7 mil, but they get a #1 goalie, a # 1 d-man, two good top 6 forwards and a solid 3rd liner. IMO, they are easily playoff bound after a trade like this.

New Jersey dumps approx. $4.5 mil in salary to bring them below the salary cap, and they pick up some good draft picks as well. Huselius can be exchanged for a different player if needed, and the draft picks can be tinkered with as well.

Vancouver moves 3 pretty popular players, but they get back a franchise goaltender that is just entering his prime and a solid 4th/5th d-man. Vancouver also saves about $2.8 mil in this deal.

Old
08-26-2005, 11:28 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

NJ gets ***** hard...Wow...

Terrible deal, just get rid of NJ and I think you might have something going...

Old
08-26-2005, 11:29 AM
DAebi1

Send a message via AIM to DAebi1 Send a message via MSN to DAebi1 Send a message via Yahoo to DAebi1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoobieDoobieDo

And Vancouver makes out like bandits.

Old
08-26-2005, 11:31 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:

New Jersey is needed though, they are the team providing the two forward for Florida. New Jersey has to do something to shed salary, and the two most likely candidates to go are Friesen and White IMO, possibly Matvichuk as well. New Jersey can't take on much salary, so picks/prospects will be what they are looking for, and they're getting 3 fairly high picks in this deal. But like I said, tinkering is going be needed on New Jersey's return, possibly exchanging the 2nd and 3rd for a 1st and 4th or something like that.

Old
08-26-2005, 11:35 AM
trbr86

Quote:

What exactly do you expect New Jersey to get back? The Devils need to dump salary badly; Florida and Vancouver taking on so much of their payroll is one thing, but getting two seconds, a third and Huselius is a steal for New Jersey.

Given their horrible salary cap situation, do you honestly think New Jersey could get better than two seconds, a third, and Huselius elsewhere for Langdenbrunner, White, and Friesen? The Lydman and Rucchin trades suggest not a chance in hell.

Last edited by trbr86: 08-26-2005 at 11:41 AM.
Old
08-26-2005, 11:41 AM
Brodeur

Can we keep Langenbrunner and Florida keeps Huselius? Jamie's not making that much......and I'd much rather dump Kozlov before him.

Old
08-26-2005, 11:57 AM
Dropkick Alex

As a Cats fan, all I have to say is

Old
08-26-2005, 12:02 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickShift
What exactly do you expect New Jersey to get back? The Devils need to dump salary badly; Florida and Vancouver taking on so much of their payroll is one thing, but getting two seconds, a third and Huselius is a steal for New Jersey.

Given their horrible salary cap situation, do you honestly think New Jersey could get better than two seconds, a third, and Huselius elsewhere for Langdenbrunner, White, and Friesen? The Lydman and Rucchin trades suggest not a chance in hell.
No but I expect them to get something better for Jamie, White and Friesen then Huselius and two low 2nd and 3rd round draft picks and one maybe mid-range draft pick.

They do need to shed salary but I think they can get something more from those players, like a few proven prospects and a 2nd or 2...

I think you're really undervaluating Jamie, White and Friesen, if anything I think Lou will do something with the cap room to keep all three...Lang and Friesen aren't making that much, I think they'll trade White and another big money guy but keep Friesen and Jamie...

I think if anything the Cats and the Devils will swing their own trade and leave Vancouver out of it...

Old
08-26-2005, 12:02 PM
mydnyte

Quote:

well, i read 95% of this from a not to be named website, so i dont think much of it, but who knows ...NJ needs to drop $$ ...it could happen

Old
08-26-2005, 12:10 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

I think value wise it's a pretty fair deal... but it all depends on if Florida wants to move Luongo, and they don't want a better goalie than Cloutier in return. Although they probably won't get all the other pieces they're getting with a better goalie than Cloutier.

I think that for Florida though, they might want another incentive... drop Langenbrunner from the deal (as NJ fan above suggested he's not making too much to move him), and add a piece from Jersey (bottom 6er) going to Vancouver, and add goaltending insurance going to Florida (Schneider).

This gives Florida a solid young goaltending prospect to work with over the next few years - I think this kind of insurance is needed if they are taking in Cloutier, instead of say a guy like Aebisher (younger) or Turco (better), etc....

Canucks PP is going to suck without Jovo though... but getting a franchise goalie will be worth it. Keenan is probably crazy enough to add that many players in one deal as well!

Personally I think all this talk about Vancouver being interested in Luongo is just talk.

Can anyone name the last goalie supposedly on the block that didn't have some rumours made up going to Vancouver? Hell even in the offseason we supposedly had interest in Cujo and Burke according to certain "blogs" ...

If I had to guess, Keenan is not going to move Luongo this year, as he's already signed and is not a UFA next year... and Vancouver probably hasn't even talked to Florida about this...

a team that everyone thinks needs a starter... a team that has a starter that everyone thinks is unhappy and wants out... and a team that has salary cap problems that need to drop players... umm... seems like someone is connecting the dots... isn't that what blogs do?

Old
08-26-2005, 12:14 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
No but I expect them to get something better for Jamie, White and Friesen then Huselius and two low 2nd and 3rd round draft picks and one maybe mid-range draft pick.

They do need to shed salary but I think they can get something more from those players, like a few proven prospects and a 2nd or 2...

I think you're really undervaluating Jamie, White and Friesen, if anything I think Lou will do something with the cap room to keep all three...Lang and Friesen aren't making that much, I think they'll trade White and another big money guy but keep Friesen and Jamie...

I think if anything the Cats and the Devils will swing their own trade and leave Vancouver out of it...
how many times have we heard that players with salaries like this, coming from teams that need to drop salary, are worth "more" than being suggested... how many times have we seen the Lydman-type deals happen that refute this thinking and leave everyone wondering why the player went for so little?

If Jersey has cap problems, and they need to shed salary, the players going out will not have near the value they may have to the team on the ice. This is the reality now, and I can't even say it's a new reality, as salary dumps have been common in the NHL for a long time now... except now with the new CBA, and salary caps, and so many teams already filling up their payrolls, the selling price has gone down again!

I would not be surprised to see Jersey lose some of this salary for a lot less than people expect... we've been seeing it all offseason so far.

As for keeping Vancouver out of the deal... sure it could happen... but isn't a major part of this deal around Luongo? NJ has no use to deal assets for Luongo at all... so it's more likely that NJ is just left out of a deal like this, than Vancouver.

Old
08-26-2005, 12:17 PM
Zaddik

Send a message via MSN to Zaddik
there was talk of bertuzzi going to florida in this type of trade, and if that happens nonis is an idiot.

Old
08-26-2005, 12:19 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

You're asking NJ to give up one of their most important pieces in Langbrunner, I think you could eventually see a 3rd coming back for White ala Lydman but Lang has been a staple for the NJ for years. They aren't going to trade him.

As for Luongo, that cat has been beaten to death and now is hanging outside the house!

right now deal with NJ and the Cats...

Old
08-26-2005, 12:29 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Even if the Devils do need to lose some salary, they would command at least one first rounder. Especially if it helps another team get Luongo.

Old
08-26-2005, 12:35 PM
Peter Griffin

How about this revised proposal:

To Florida

Ed Jovanovski
Dan Cloutier
Jeff Friesen
Matt Cooke
Corey Scheider

To Vancouver

Roberto Luongo
Colin White
Niklas Hagman

To New Jersey

3rd round pick from Vancouver

Florida gets their #1 d-man, #1 goalie, top 6 forward, solid 3rd liner, and good goalie prospect.

Vancouver gets their franchise goalie, 4th/5th d-man and replacement for Cooke.

New Jersey gets $4 mil in cap space and 2 good draft picks.

Old
08-26-2005, 12:37 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Even if the Devils do need to lose some salary, they would command at least one first rounder. Especially if it helps another team get Luongo.
Good luck getting a 1st rounder in their situation.

Old
08-26-2005, 12:38 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

I can see the Devils move Friesen, Kozlov and White and maybe even Brylin (Good soldier and all). Not Langenbrunner, not for the returns being mentioned. But we shall see soon enough.

Old
08-26-2005, 12:40 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
Good luck getting a 1st rounder in their situation.

Good luck getting Lou to let himself be used so that the Nucks can get Luongo.

And I'm a Ranger fan so I don't care about any of the teams mentioned.

Old
08-26-2005, 12:45 PM
trbr86

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Good luck getting Lou to let himself be used so that the Nucks can get Luongo.

And I'm a Ranger fan so I don't care about any of the teams mentioned.
Why is Lou being used? Why should he care about what Vancouver is offering? He'll go after the best return he can get for his players.
-------------------
For the record, the original was:

To Florida:
Ed Jovanovski
Dan Cloutier
Jamie Langdenbrunner
Jeff Friesen

To New Jersey:
"Three high draft picks"

To Vancouver:
Roberto Luongo
Sergei Brylin

My opinion, is that it would be a 2nd, 2nd and 3rd pick to New Jersey.

Old
08-26-2005, 12:50 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
A certain blogger mentioned that New Jersey, Florida and Vancouver may be in trade talks with the centerpiece being Luongo. Anyway, I'm not using this as a source but merely a starting point for an idea.

To Florida

Ed Jovanovski
Dan Cloutier
Jamie Langenbrunner
Jeff Friesen
Matt Cooke

To Vancouver

Roberto Luongo
Colin White

To New Jersey

Kristian Huselius
2nd and 3rd round pick from Vancouver

The sticking point in this trade is salary movement. Florida takes on over $7 mil, but they get a #1 goalie, a # 1 d-man, two good top 6 forwards and a solid 3rd liner. IMO, they are easily playoff bound after a trade like this.

New Jersey dumps approx. $4.5 mil in salary to bring them below the salary cap, and they pick up some good draft picks as well. Huselius can be exchanged for a different player if needed, and the draft picks can be tinkered with as well.

Vancouver moves 3 pretty popular players, but they get back a franchise goaltender that is just entering his prime and a solid 4th/5th d-man. Vancouver also saves about $2.8 mil in this deal.
VCR gives up an impending UFA, a third-line forward they can't sign, and mid-tier goaltender. In return they get back a franchise netminder and a solid #4 dman.

That seems a little unbalanced, Peter.

If Keenan wants Jovocop, he should just wait to this summer. The Cats will have far more room on their payroll than VCR, and Jovocop may be a relative bargin given the competition from players like Chara and Redden.

I honestly don't see anyway that VCR gets Luongo without a package involving players like the Sedins, Bryan Allen, etc.

Old
08-26-2005, 12:56 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickShift
Why is Lou being used? Why should he care about what Vancouver is offering? He'll go after the best return he can get for his players.
-------------------
For the record, the original was:

To Florida:
Ed Jovanovski
Dan Cloutier
Jamie Langdenbrunner
Jeff Friesen

To New Jersey:
"Three high draft picks"

To Vancouver:
Roberto Luongo
Sergei Brylin

My opinion, is that it would be a 2nd, 2nd and 3rd pick to New Jersey.
Because the Devils are adding adding value to each team's return. That's worth something.

Old
08-26-2005, 12:57 PM
Dropkick Alex

If Jovo does get traded, he is a UFA at the end of the year, what are the chances of a sign and trade with Jovo?

Old
08-26-2005, 12:58 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropkick Alex
If Jovo does get traded, he is a UFA at the end of the year, what are the chances of a sign and trade with Jovo?
I would say the only way he gets dealt is if he and the team work out an extension (I believe they can do that starting in January?)

Old
08-26-2005, 12:59 PM
Dropkick Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuzzi
I would say the only way he gets dealt is if he and the team work out an extension (I believe they can do that starting in January?)
I bet that would happen to and your right it is January because Luongo can sign a new contract starting January 1, 2006, if my memory serves me correctly.

Old
08-26-2005, 01:04 PM
trbr86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
VCR gives up an impending UFA, a third-line forward they can't sign, and mid-tier goaltender. In return they get back a franchise netminder and a solid #4 dman.

That seems a little unbalanced, Peter.

If Keenan wants Jovocop, he should just wait to this summer. The Cats will have far more room on their payroll than VCR, and Jovocop may be a relative bargin given the competition from players like Chara and Redden.

I honestly don't see anyway that VCR gets Luongo without a package involving players like the Sedins, Bryan Allen, etc.
Trades aren't about what a team gives up, they are about what a team gets back. Despite your best efforts to make this look like an ill-thought Vancouver fan's trade, when you consider what each team gets back, it is hardly a terrible deal for either Florida, New Jersey, or Vancouver.

VAN gets an elite #1 Goaltender
VAN gets a top four defenseman
FLA gets a good #1 Goaltender
FLA gets a #1 defenseman
FLA gets a two time Stanley Cup top-six forward
FLA gets another top-six forward
FLA gets a good checking line forward
NJ gets a projected top-six forward
NJ gets a second round pick from the Canucks
NJ gets a second round pick from the Panthers
NJ gets a third round pick from the Canucks
NJ gets out of cap hell