Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

St. John's Ice Caps 2013 - 14 Season - Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
05-08-2014, 07:22 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 50
Caps need to win at least one on the road to make it back to Mile One. Hopefully they win 2. Ideally, they'll win all 3. >_>

Old
05-08-2014, 08:51 AM
ps241
It's closing time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
Maybe He weirdly was missing so many chances over the last 3-4 games I've seen them play.

Overall they have to be more productive up front if they want to win the Calder Cup. This could come back at them at some point. I was really hoping they'd score at least 4, maybe 5 or 6 goals yesterday, once they scored their second goal. Caps have to crack Gibsons confidence.
I know its cliché but with a goalie that is so in the zone like Gibby you have to get allot of traffic in front of him and get the guys crashing the net. The good news is Hutch is playing at a similar level and I mentioned it once already but I think this is a great test for Hutch and the Ice Caps. If you can battle past a goalie that is so hot by matching him with your own hot goalie then the Ice Caps will be a much more battle tested group. They have found a way to get pretty good results on the road in the 2nd half of the season so let’s go there and win some games.

Old
05-08-2014, 10:54 AM
Bob E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
I know its cliché but with a goalie that is so in the zone like Gibby you have to get allot of traffic in front of him and get the guys crashing the net. The good news is Hutch is playing at a similar level and I mentioned it once already but I think this is a great test for Hutch and the Ice Caps. If you can battle past a goalie that is so hot by matching him with your own hot goalie then the Ice Caps will be a much more battle tested group. They have found a way to get pretty good results on the road in the 2nd half of the season so let’s go there and win some games.
Agree. Having Hutch play well, and against a terrific young goalie who is putting the pressure on - in pressure-packed playoff hockey - can only help Hutch in his development. Those experiences are golden. And having an equally high level of play, only helps his confidence going forward.

Old
05-08-2014, 12:04 PM
Hellboy30

Hutch is 4-2 in these playoffs, with an insane 0.951 saving percentage.

Hutch=Clutch

Next year, he will steal Pavelec's job.

Old
05-08-2014, 12:14 PM
GermanJetsFan
Beaver Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
The thing is: IMO, they are already creating quite some havoc and traffic in his paint. Gibson just fights it off - he is absolutely outstanding. We love Hutchinson and can't stop praising how good he is, but Gibson is just unreal.

Old
05-08-2014, 12:22 PM
DarthMonty
Makin' saves

Quote:
The thing is: IMO, they are already creating quite some havoc and traffic in his paint. Gibson just fights it off - he is absolutely outstanding. We love Hutchinson and can't stop praising how good he is, but Gibson is just unreal.
Yeah, I watched the extended highlights, and the 'Caps are almost piling on in the crease, and Gibson gets up and dusts it off and carries on. It is a treat to watch goalies playing as calm, cool and collected as these two.

I'll be very surprised if this series doesn't go the maximum - Gibson has strapped the
Admirals on his back.

Old
05-08-2014, 12:22 PM
ps241
It's closing time.

Quote:
100% agree Gibson has been really incredible since I saw him on the WJC stage with Trouba and team USA. I am thrilled we have a goalie is so hot because without Hutch beating a .960 save % level goalie is next to impossible. This could be the Ice Caps biggest challenge this season.

Old
05-08-2014, 12:27 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
I had a massive argument with a guy during that WJC on HF. He claimed that Gibson wasn't a good goalie at all. Lacking fundamentals, blah blah blah. He also said that Rinne was a bad goalie during that same discussion.

Old
05-08-2014, 12:41 PM
DarthMonty
Makin' saves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
I had a massive argument with a guy during that WJC on HF. He claimed that Gibson wasn't a good goalie at all. Lacking fundamentals, blah blah blah. He also said that Rinne was a bad goalie during that same discussion.
Why would he argue that? Because Gibson doesn't move around a lot and waste energy? Or because he doesn't get caught low too many times and is able to use the glove better?

How could somebody watch Gibson, and be reminded of how Carey Price plays the position, and come away with the conclusion that Gibson is not a good goalie?

Old
05-08-2014, 12:46 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

[QUOTE=DarthMonty;84797421]Why would he argue that? Because Gibson doesn't move around a lot and waste energy? Or because he doesn't get caught low too many times and is able to use the glove better?

[mod]

Note that the guy didn't say that Rinne and Gibson were overrated. He said that they were bad, because they made flashy saves or something.

Those flashy saves weren't Pavelec-esque. They were made because they were amazing saves, where a goalie normally would be beat. The rest of the time, they both are calm and big goalies.

Last edited by YWGinYYZ: 05-08-2014 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Nope
Old
05-08-2014, 12:48 PM
truck
HFB Partner

As good as both goalies have been, there have been missed opportunities.

I wouldn't bet on either goalie sustaining this level of play - just gotta hope it is Gibby that eventually slips up or at least does it more / first.

Fun to watch though. These games have been tense.

Old
05-08-2014, 01:11 PM
Aavco Cup

As long as Gibson continues to face more shot attempts, I think the odds of success are on our side. Oh and no shorties against please. Tha was an achillies heel for this team all year.

Old
05-08-2014, 01:50 PM
Aavco Cup

Didn't expect this move. Etem gives the Admirals more offense.

@markhmasters: Ducks recall d-man Sami Vatanen from Norfolk Admirals; Emerson Etem sent down

Old
05-08-2014, 02:04 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
Didn't expect this move. Etem gives the Admirals more offense.

@markhmasters: Ducks recall d-man Sami Vatanen from Norfolk Admirals; Emerson Etem sent down
Was Etem on their clear day list?

Old
05-08-2014, 02:51 PM
Aavco Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
He's been up and down all year so I suspect he was down at that time.

Old
05-08-2014, 03:11 PM
trouty

Quote:
He's been up and down all year so I suspect he was down at that time.
Being a Anaheim fan,myself and others better hope the Ducks steal a game,if not Etem,Smith Pelly and Rascall are all on the way down,as they were on the clear day

Also series are 2-3-2 if teams are separated by more then 500 miles,aka St.John's will never ever ever play 2-2-1-1-1 we don't have a team 1500 miles away lol

Old
05-08-2014, 08:46 PM
IceCapsFanNL

Hey Trouty,

I think I saw a few cats hanging around your house looking for salmon, better clean up.

Old
05-08-2014, 08:56 PM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
You know I've been looking for info on clear day lists. I know that they did not exist last year. In year's past I had always seen them easily available. I had thought last year was simply due to lockout, but I think they may have gone away completely. Not sure how NHL is now regulating the late season send downs. I haven't been able to find much info as of yet.

Old
05-08-2014, 10:13 PM
jetkarma*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCapsFanNL View Post
I think Kichton's size is hurting him recently. Aggressive forechecking is knocking him off the puck more than I noticed in the regular season.
Skating is hurting him too imo. But let's face it , he was and is a long long shot and I never expected more than a semi competent AHL player. Happy to see Morrissey playing better than him and would be disappointed if that wasn't the case.

Old
05-08-2014, 10:56 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

I'm sure some of it is type of minutes Kichton is getting with usage too.

Redmond being back seemed to coincide with his production slowdown.

Old
05-08-2014, 11:51 PM
Aavco Cup

Anderson hurt himself tonight. Would the Ducks call up Gibson?

Old
05-08-2014, 11:59 PM
DespoticNewt

Quote:
Anderson hurt himself tonight. Would the Ducks call up Gibson?
I don't take pleasure in players being hurt, but if Andersen is injured and Belesky can't return, those are 2 call ups. Gibson and someone else? They got rid of Fasth, and only had Hiller and Andersen up, right?

Old
05-09-2014, 12:08 AM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
I don't take pleasure in players being hurt, but if Andersen is injured and Belesky can't return, those are 2 call ups. Gibson and someone else? They got rid of Fasth, and only had Hiller and Andersen up, right?
They MIGHT just call up Bobkov to sit on the bench. It's not like Bobkov is bad by any means if forced into a game and Gibson might benefit more from the time in AHL playoffs (whereas Bobkov is sitting on bench either way). Doubt they call up any more forwards, I think they have a couple of healthies right now (Winnik?).

Old
05-09-2014, 12:22 AM
DespoticNewt

I suppose there is that. Well, we'll see what happens then.

Old
05-09-2014, 12:35 AM
rguy56

Well, well, well...

Ducks extend their run, AND get a goaltender injury.

So, the possible returnees remain a while longer in the NHL, AND there could be a goalie call up. Who would that be?

Closed Thread