HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): 2014 Regular Season

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2014, 08:50 PM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinkalage Morgoone View Post
I think there will be a media circus around Sam for maybe the first 2-3 weeks and then it will die down. I know it is a huge step in the right direction by Sam coming out and finding a home, I just wish the media wasn't harping on it to the point where it seems like they are shoving it down everyone's throats. Let Sam do things on his own terms.
I honestly think he'll have a tough time cracking their 53 man out of camp. He's a fringe talent with really no true position to play in the NFL which some times gets lost in translation when discussing the possibility of Sam not making a roster. If he does indeed make the team & plays for multiple seasons in this league than that's a good success story for Sam.

As for your other point above about Ray Rice unfortunately people whether it be fans, teammates, organization members, league officials, etc. are a lot more accepting when you're a top talent in this league.

For whatever reasons people like to pile on guys like Sam or Tebow for being gay or being a devout Christian. Yeah they're not really good NFL talents & carry a lot of unwarranted hype thanks to the media but they're not hurting anyone with what they do in the personal lives unlike some other players in the league.

Old
08-07-2014, 09:40 PM
Go For It

I know it's only a pre-season game tomorrow but I gotta say I'm pretty pumped.

Old
08-08-2014, 12:19 AM
The Couturier Effect

Yeah, I don't think I'm as pumped as I was last year, but I'm still pretty excited.

Old
08-08-2014, 08:01 AM
GiggityGiggityGoo

I was pumped about this season until i remembered how pissed we all were about Alex Henery being a noodle-legged chode. He's still the kicker. They'll lose at least a game because of him.

Old
08-08-2014, 08:09 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiggityGiggityGoo View Post
I was pumped about this season until i remembered how pissed we all were about Alex Henery being a noodle-legged chode. He's still the kicker. They'll lose at least a game because of him.
This offseason has rubbed me the wrong way. I hated losing Djax, and i was not thrilled about our draft. I like Mathews, but it was a cruel fate to have Brandin Cooks drafted right before us. I really believe he was the guy we were going to target before New Orleans traded up in front of us. And by all accounts this preseason he has been tearing it up.

Old
08-08-2014, 09:09 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I wonder which is stronger: Matt Carle's wrists or Alex Henery's Leg

08-08-2014, 10:24 AM
TheWolfOfBroadStreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinkalage Morgoone View Post
I wonder which is stronger: Matt Carle's wrists or Alex Henery's Leg
I think Henery worked a lot on his leg strength this year, so far in OTA's/TC hes been hitting it out of the end zone a lot more than he used to. he's been pretty money this OTA/TC so far from 52 or less as well.

Jtown, what didnt you like about this offseason? Djax was a Chip Kelly made product, that was not worth 10 mil (which was obvious because he signed for less). Chip talked in detail about how he thought the game was moving towards bigger, more physical corners and how if you cant get off man coverage than you will be in trouble. I can get the stats for you if you want, but when DeSean was pressed at the line his numbers were abysmal last year, when they played off him thats when we saw him running through zones and having big games. Chip also stated that DeSean was not double covered much last year and only saw double coverage on 11 percent of HIS snaps. Towards the end of the year, the vikings game in particular, we started moving DeSean around to create more space for him, but also had to alter Chips game plan. I am not saying DeSean is a bad player, but I think his game wont get better with age and he will continue to struggle against top tier CB's and defenses that play a lot of man. Chip also gave insight to how they wanted to work more on back shoulder fades, and how that play is basically impossible to cover and how you need bigger, more physical receivers to make it work (IE Cooper, Mathews, Maclin who are all over 6 ft). While Djax's production most likely wont be replaced, I do however think his production can be disbursed throughout the rest of the weapons that we have, such as an improved year from Ertz, the addition of Maclin, and the newcomer Jordan Mathews.

As far as the draft, I absolutely loved it. I think Jordan Mathews will be one of the best if not THE best WR coming out of the draft. I've had a man crush on him since Vandy and hes continued to shine in OTA's/TC. Even the players are already declaring him the best finisher on the team along with having one of the best work ethics they have ever seen from a rookie. He will be playing the slot this year to start, and at 6'3 215 he will be a match up nightmare for slot CB's.

Marcus Smith, Josh Huff, Taylor Hart, Beau Allen and Jaylen Watkins were also good picks, I do not think Marcus Smith was a reach considering the redskins were planning on taking him 7 picks later. Huff was a bit of a reach but Chip loves his game and thinks it will translate well in the NFL. Hart has been impressive and apparently is pushing for a backup DE spot and the coaches keep saying hes been one of the stand outs in camp so far. I dont expect much out of Jaylen watkins this year, but he is versatile and definitely has potential. The guy who I am looking forward to seeing this TC is Beau Allen. Jason Kelce says he has really quick feet for a guy his size and could be that big run stuffing DT to spell Logan that we've been looking for.

Finally, Nolan Caroll has a legitimate chance of being the starting CB and the coaches have been raving about him. He apparently has been absolutely lock down so far this camp and has a chance to be the KOR man as well. The FA pick up I like most is Malcolm Jenkins. While he is not a world beater by any means, he is the glue that will keep our secondary in tact. All of the saints coaches said he was the smartest player on the defense and is a leader as well. He is also as versatile as it gets having played CB in college and playing a little bit of nickle corner on the saints. One of the primary problems the eagles had last year was breakdowns in coverage (mostly because Chung was garbage) which I dont think will happen much this year because Jenkins will make sure everyone is lined up right. I am not saying hes a probowler, I just think he was a solid, unheralded addition that will pay dividends right off the bat.

Here are some players that arent starters to keep an eye on the rest of TC/preseason.

-Momah, hes 6'7, tore his ACL his senior year at BC, got cut last year, but has rebounded and has apparently been making a serious push for that 5th WR spot
-Brad Smith, like Momah, has been making a serious push for the 5th WR spot, he also plays ST's which gives him the advantage
-Travis Long, OLB from WSU who tore his ACL last year, has been impressive in the limited sample size that we have seen him play
-Najee Goode, really played well in the GB and red skins game last year, a lock for the back up MLB spot. I am also looking to see if Jason Phillips is fully recovered from his ACL tear because he was a beast on ST's and when healthy looked pretty good at MLB as well.
-Earl Wolff/Nate Allen/Chris Maragos, it will be interesting to see who wins that battle for starting S, as all of them will be getting equal opportunities
-Matt Tobin/Michael Bamiro-one of these guys will be a backup OL, Tobin has the advantage because he plays both T and G where as Bamiro is strictly a G.
-Bryan Brahman- has a good shot at being the backup OLB, is a stud on special teams as well.
-Matt Tucker/David Fleullen/Chris Polk, the battle for the 3rd RB might be one of the best, all 3 of these guys could be #2's and potential #1's (obviously if they were a #1 on a team that team would be in trouble but Im just saying that these guys arent slouches)
-Curtis Marsh/Roc Carmichael/Jaylen Watkins, battle for the 4th CB spot. Personally I think Marsh finally puts it together wins that, but Watkins has just as good of a chance. I think Carmichael might be the odd man out
-Blake Annon, TE. This guy is as athletic is they come, ran a 4.45, but is extremely raw and playing a position that we are already loaded with talent. I have a feeling this guy will be the mysterious IR stash that happens every year.

Old
08-08-2014, 10:47 AM
Jtown

Djax was not a product of kelly, considering he was a multiple pro bowler before kelly even became the eagles coach.

Djax was worth his contract easily and was still under contract. It made no sense to cut him. None , and we are going to be worst because of it.

I understand Djax was vulenarable to press coverage but with the refs restricting how defenses can defend the pass , I would have gladly put up with the few snaps a game he was unable to get off the line.

His speed and deep threat ability were very important to other receivers as well as the running game. As it currently stands we don't have a single wr that has the ability to beat his man and get seperation. That is a huge concern. While foles is very accruate ,he is going to be have to be even more accurate this year because all his receivers will be defended very closely.

IN terms of the draft I didn't like the smith pick, but i understand it. I hated going to a 3-4 because we didn't have the personnel for it, and now we have to draft all these scheme specific players for it .

Old
08-08-2014, 12:19 PM
FlyersFan61290

Anyone know what channel the game is gonna be on?

Old
08-08-2014, 12:31 PM
TheWolfOfBroadStreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Djax was not a product of kelly, considering he was a multiple pro bowler before kelly even became the eagles coach.

Djax was worth his contract easily and was still under contract. It made no sense to cut him. None , and we are going to be worst because of it.

I understand Djax was vulenarable to press coverage but with the refs restricting how defenses can defend the pass , I would have gladly put up with the few snaps a game he was unable to get off the line.

His speed and deep threat ability were very important to other receivers as well as the running game. As it currently stands we don't have a single wr that has the ability to beat his man and get seperation. That is a huge concern. While foles is very accruate ,he is going to be have to be even more accurate this year because all his receivers will be defended very closely.

IN terms of the draft I didn't like the smith pick, but i understand it. I hated going to a 3-4 because we didn't have the personnel for it, and now we have to draft all these scheme specific players for it .
Djax had a career year under Kelly, and I disagree with him being worth his contract. Before Kelly his career highs in catches, yards, and TD's were way down and I think that shows that his recent success is a product of Chips scheme. Due to our scheme Djax saw a ton of single coverage and he took advantage of that, especially when teams played zone on him. Considering we would have been projected to be over the cap next year, this was both a football and business decision and I do not think he will be missed as much as you think.

I COMPLETELY disagree with your assessment about none of our WR's having the ability to gain separation, as Cooper did that consistently last year and Maclin has that capability if hes healthy. You are also counting Mathews out which I think is a mistake because he will be very hard to guard in the slot. Kelly built this team in terms of WR's to beat man coverage, in fact, it has been an emphasis so far in TC compared to prior years. Chip also said he wants his WR's to be able to make contested catches, which even you have to admit is not DeSeans specialty. You are also over rating Djax's effect on the other WR's in terms of opening it up for them, as I stated I can get the stats for you if youd like but Djax only was double covered in 11% of his snaps and Chip also said that most teams played single safety on us because of how concerned they were with our running game.

DeSean is a good player, and on paper we did get worse when we cut him. But to think that there was no reason for it is just asinine. Chip saying "big people beat up little people" is a bit cliche, but in terms with the direction of this team and the players he wants and the types of attitudes he wants from his players, losing DeSean becomes not as big of a deal as originally thought. As I said, I dont think his production will be replaced, I think it will be disbursed through the other play makers we have. Chip talked in length about how we were switching from a vertical offense to a more horizontal offense which he believed would benefit our team and I agree, I think we are going to be a very, very good team next year and I am buying into the hype. Chip broke franchise records in his first year with half his playbook, lets see what he does with players who are familiar with his scheme and have bought into the philosophies.

Any time you make a switch on D its going to take some time to get the right personnel, I dont think we will see what the D is supposed to look like for another year or 2, but that doesnt mean they cant be average to a little bit above average. They did finish 17th in PPG last year in the first year of a 3-4 so thats a pretty telling stat if you ask me. Once again, another year of scheme familiarity cant hurt either.

Thank god the first preseason game is tonight....FOOTBALL IS BACK!

Old
08-08-2014, 01:12 PM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

Everyone should brushup on the videos from Fishduck, at least Inside and Outside Zone read tutorials.

Chip tells you, most of the time, what he's going to run through the formation and dares you to stop him.

Zone is hard to play against his scheme. Playing man is better. That's why Chip wants his men to be able to beat up their men. Force them to beat you. Force them to stop McCoy. Force their LB to have to chase down Sproles.

Old
08-08-2014, 01:15 PM
Jray42

vCash: 300
I haven't been this excited about the start of Eagles football in a long, long time. I'm ****ing pumped!

Old
08-08-2014, 06:13 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfOfBroadStreet View Post
Momah, hes 6'7, tore his ACL his senior year at BC, got cut last year, but has rebounded and has apparently been making a serious push for that 5th WR spot
-Brad Smith, like Momah, has been making a serious push for the 5th WR spot, he also plays ST's which gives him the advantage
-Travis Long, OLB from WSU who tore his ACL last year, has been impressive in the limited sample size that we have seen him play
-Najee Goode, really played well in the GB and red skins game last year, a lock for the back up MLB spot. I am also looking to see if Jason Phillips is fully recovered from his ACL tear because he was a beast on ST's and when healthy looked pretty good at MLB as well.
-Earl Wolff/Nate Allen/Chris Maragos, it will be interesting to see who wins that battle for starting S, as all of them will be getting equal opportunities
-Matt Tobin/Michael Bamiro-one of these guys will be a backup OL, Tobin has the advantage because he plays both T and G where as Bamiro is strictly a G.
-Bryan Brahman- has a good shot at being the backup OLB, is a stud on special teams as well.
-Matt Tucker/David Fleullen/Chris Polk, the battle for the 3rd RB might be one of the best, all 3 of these guys could be #2's and potential #1's (obviously if they were a #1 on a team that team would be in trouble but Im just saying that these guys arent slouches)
-Curtis Marsh/Roc Carmichael/Jaylen Watkins, battle for the 4th CB spot. Personally I think Marsh finally puts it together wins that, but Watkins has just as good of a chance. I think Carmichael might be the odd man out
-Blake Annon, TE. This guy is as athletic is they come, ran a 4.45, but is extremely raw and playing a position that we are already loaded with talent. I have a feeling this guy will be the mysterious IR stash that happens every year.
-I hope Momah shows something, but he could never separate. I doubt he improved enough to overcome that. Surprised they didn't bulk him up and try him at TE or at least a guy who resembles a TE.
-4 locks at receiver. They kept six last year. Smith probably is battling Damaris Johnson for a spot as those are the only guys that can play slot along with Matthews.
-I like Long. I mentioned him a few months ago as a possibility. They only kept 3 OLBs last year. I see 5 this year if they don't trade Graham. Long needs to really impress (especially on special teams).
-Goode is good. People were screaming for them to take an ILB during the draft, but they are deep at the position and it is probably the easiest position to plug guys in in a 3-4 scheme.
-Wolff is the upside play. Great athlete. Can run and hit. Allen is the safe play. I think they go into the season splitting reps and go from there.
-Tobin is a near lock. Bamiro can line up at tackle, but if he makes the team it will be as a guard. He was billed as a big guy that could move a little, but I don't see the athleticism. Watching that guy walk hurts my knees. Look at that!!! Probably on the outside looking in.
-Braman will get PT if Graham is traded or Smith falls on his face. I think he has some upside, but he's mainly a ST guy.
-Polk is not battling Tucker or Fluellen. He's locked in. He's probably behind Shady for carries with Sproles being more of the receiving threat. They seem to really like Tucker and he is a better ST player than Fluellen and Josey. I'm rooting for Josey though. It's a miracle that guy is even playing football.
-Watkins will be the 4th outside corner. Can't see Marsh or Roc making the team without an injury or cutting a guy like Fletcher. Watkins can play the slot as well and safety in a pinch. Good ST guy.
-Annen is probably a practice squad stash. Athletic but really raw. Wasn't used much in college. If they cut Casey (I wish they would use him more, the guy is good) I think Burton would get the spot as a jack of all trades wildcard. He can play anywhere on the field.

On defense the target number is usually 25 guys. I predict:
2 NTs
4 5-techs
4/5 OLBs
5 ILBs
5 CBs
4/5 Ss

The compromise is OLB and S imo. Do they keep Graham? Do they cut Reynolds? Injuries will happen unfortunately which may make the decision easier, but right now that is how I see it.

Last edited by FLYguy3911: 08-08-2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old
08-08-2014, 08:06 PM
chinatown81592
Knight of Beavers

Football!!

Old
08-08-2014, 09:38 PM
RussianRocket10

Boom Josh Huff.

Old
08-08-2014, 09:58 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Anyone worried about Foles now?

Old
08-08-2014, 11:22 PM
The Dream
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
nah.

Old
08-08-2014, 11:51 PM
FLYguy3911

Any jersey nuts notice the Eagles switched to the flywire collar? I didn't hear anything and couldn't find anything on google. Not selling jerseys in the pro-shop with them either.

Old
08-09-2014, 12:51 AM
Devastate

I missed literally everything. Someone want to give me a quick run down? How'd Foles look?

Old
08-09-2014, 02:12 AM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

Foles looked bad but he was barely in the game. No need to flip out. Avoid the media spin. Sanchez looked good for a bit-- then bad for a bit. Barkley-- looked like he's lower tier quarterback backup quality right now. Sproles didn't do so hot.

Better to focus on some flashes from Tucker, Huff, Watkins, Allen, Boone. I was hoping to see Matthews really dominate but he didn't do much. Huff didn't look great on returns -- until he ran one back. Then didn't bring much again.

Carmichael got roasted a lot. It's all preseason though.

Old
08-09-2014, 11:21 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Any jersey nuts notice the Eagles switched to the flywire collar? I didn't hear anything and couldn't find anything on google. Not selling jerseys in the pro-shop with them either.

Yes, it looks absolutely stupid, I can't stand it. I cannot wait for that awful gimmick to die, it's even worse than the OG edge "template" jerseys.

Last edited by orange is better: 08-09-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Old
08-09-2014, 05:25 PM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCWombBroom View Post
Foles looked bad but he was barely in the game. No need to flip out. Avoid the media spin. Sanchez looked good for a bit-- then bad for a bit. Barkley-- looked like he's lower tier quarterback backup quality right now. Sproles didn't do so hot.

Better to focus on some flashes from Tucker, Huff, Watkins, Allen, Boone. I was hoping to see Matthews really dominate but he didn't do much. Huff didn't look great on returns -- until he ran one back. Then didn't bring much again.

Carmichael got roasted a lot. It's all preseason though.

The first series or two, I was listening on the radio. Mike Quick said that the Eagles had run seven plays, and had committed 4 penalties. The new holding rules/serious enforcement of the rules burned the first team O badly.

If other games in the League are going to be like that, hopefully it is not us and they will back off on the crackdown.

Old
08-09-2014, 05:32 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
First game they played in what? 6 months ish, and its preseason?

Not at all. Ill give him more time then 1 preseason game.

Old
08-14-2014, 03:23 PM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

CSN needs some summer attention. Maclin tweaks a hammy. Homepage has it in three places, all with overdramatic wording to click-bait you.

A few good articles have come out recently on CHIP.

http://grantland.com/features/chip-k...nfl-influence/

and

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/stor...-espn-magazine

I really have never liked McCoy. This is just more fuel. Guy isn't a team player. He doesn't have that DNA.

Old
08-14-2014, 03:52 PM
Phileeguy
RIP Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCWombBroom View Post
I really have never liked McCoy. This is just more fuel. Guy isn't a team player. He doesn't have that DNA.
You got specific reasons for you not liking McCoy or is that just a personal, unexplainable/gut feeling? Because from what I've seen of him in interviews and what I've read about him I get the feeling that he just wants to win and be the best at his position. I personally don't get any feeling from him that he's not a team player like I got with DeSean.

Closed Thread