HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hextall's Comments

Old
05-09-2014, 01:45 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

vCash: 500
IMO whether Hextall is "right on the money" or not is irrelevant. He still should know better than to be mouthing off at another team when he's a Day 1 GM.

I don't care how much experience he has from lesser jobs over the years, he's done absolutely nothing as yet to prove he can do better. Mind your own back yard before looking down your nose at someone else.

Digger12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 01:53 PM
AimsforGenji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
and it took only one top 6 draft pick, and one year for the flames to build a better team than the Oilers, who had three #1 picks in a row.

it's not like the oilers laughed last. they still suck.

I dislike that Hextall opened his mouth about the Oilers, but he is totally right.
I disagree. Calgary wasn't nearly gutted as Edmonton and Calgary still has about 3 Dmen better than any 1 of ours.

AimsforGenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 02:47 PM
Pondcake
Esquire

vCash: 132
You can argue that building a winning culture and being competitive is more important than drafting high (This is something the Oilers say every year....and I don't even know if that's what Hextall is saying....I'm basically just assuming he has a point) but when your team sucks in November you still have to make a choice on how to have your team not suck that bad in November next year or the year after

I think Edmonton has just been dealing with the hand they've been dealt....certainly has not planning on collecting 1st overall picks.

Has anyone ever offered them a clear solution for a draft pick....probably not.

Pondcake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 03:27 PM
SK13
As Pretty as Oscar

vCash: 50
Well, I have three thoughts about this:

1) He shouldn't have phrased it that way. He could have easily omitted the "a team in the West" thing and still made his point. They don't want to rebuild through high picks in the draft because it means years of suffering. Perfectly valid viewpoint, and easier to say when you're the GM of Philadelphia.

2) Not really offended. That's (almost) exactly what we've doing and it hasn't been fun.

3) It's still the necessary method for the Edmonton Oilers and probably the Calgary Flames, Buffalo Sabres, etc too.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2014, 02:17 AM
Lewy

He wasnt taking shots at us, he was takkng shots at our ownership/management. Frankly they deserve it.

Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2014, 04:19 AM
TimeForAnOilChange
From OTTERS 2 OILERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
i dont care what he has to say. dudes always been a blow hard (hi, lets slash people in the leg like a gold club because we're lunatics) and didnt win. go F yourself, Ron.

the dude has worked in LA and Philly. two areas that have no problems picking up UFA's and trades because theyre huge markets. Philly looked HORRENDOUS this year in the playoffs. almost as bad as the Oilers with their puck management, give aways, and slop play. bravo for getting that roster + Claude Giroux.

and acting like every team in the NHL "plays" the meta-game of team building on an even playing field is ridiculous.

has the management for the Oilers been bad? yes.

do the Oilers have any chance at UFA's or losers that make up trade lists to where they will play because of contracts? slim to NONE.

Hard Life for Ron in LALA land and the city of brotherly scum

he just comes off as a whiner
and we already know how bad the Oilers organization is. he should **** and get his own yard in order first. that team looked like a joke and luckily got to play the next lamest PO team in the East for the first round.
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Much easier to attract good players when you don't have -40 weather for months on end, plus the worst travel schedule in the league, plus higher taxes, and have to live in a fishbowl to boot, things that have nothing to do with management (and no, I'm not an apologist for the Oilers management, far from it)...but lets be honest here, not being able to attract players to play in Edmonton has been going on for a hell of a lot longer than our current "rebuild" has been going on and long before any of the current management has been here. We have had several mass exoduses over the years, and I'm personally just fed up with cheering for basically a farm team for the league, which is effectively what the Oilers have been for over 20 years now.

TimeForAnOilChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2014, 06:28 AM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

deleted post

Last edited by Hockey Buddha: 05-10-2014 at 06:34 AM.
Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2014, 07:22 AM
rosemount289

Hextall always..................???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
He wasnt taking shots at us, he was takkng shots at our ownership/management. Frankly they deserve it.
Hextall always had a hatred for the Oilers going back to his playing days. I remember him popping off when the Oilers played Philly in a couple of Cup finals.

rosemount289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2014, 09:06 AM
rickyrunfar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForAnOilChange View Post

Much easier to attract good players when you don't have -40 weather for months on end, plus the worst travel schedule in the league, plus higher taxes, and have to live in a fishbowl to boot, things that have nothing to do with management (and no, I'm not an apologist for the Oilers management, far from it)...but lets be honest here, not being able to attract players to play in Edmonton has been going on for a hell of a lot longer than our current "rebuild" has been going on and long before any of the current management has been here. We have had several mass exoduses over the years, and I'm personally just fed up with cheering for basically a farm team for the league, which is effectively what the Oilers have been for over 20 years now.
Detroit attracts players and I wouldn't say it's a nicer place to live than Edmonton. Build a winner and I'm sure guys will stay just like in the eighties. Pronger and his princess are the exception not the norm.

If you build it, they will come

Last edited by rickyrunfar: 05-10-2014 at 09:14 AM.
rickyrunfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2014, 09:17 AM
redgrant

Few quick points.

#1 The tank jobs are not intentional management is just plain incompetent.

#2 This Oilers management has turned what should have been a 5 year rebuild into a 10 year rebuild.

Dont believe me? Look at the 2007 draft.

RD 1 Gagner Nash and Plante

Only management is to blame for such a mess.

redgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2014, 09:28 AM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrunfar View Post
Detroit attracts players and I wouldn't say it's a nicer place to live than Edmonton. Build a winner and I'm sure guys will stay just like in the eighties. Pronger and his princess are the exception not the norm.

If you build it, they will come
Hfboards understatement of the year.

Old
05-10-2014, 09:37 AM
DJ EarWax

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForAnOilChange View Post

Nice embellishment. It's never -40 for months on end, it's not even -20 for months on end. I believe the travel schedule is equally as terrible for the Canucks and Flames, plus with the new scheduling, it takes away a lot of advantage to the eastern conference. All Canadian and even some American markets are fish bowls. You think Crosby can walk around Pittsburgh without being noticed or harassed? This teams problems start and end with management, It has never had good to great management, even in the "glory days".

DJ EarWax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2014, 09:52 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Unless you think that K-Lowe and company have been on the right track then I don't think you can really bash any GMs for making fun of our organization.

I don't take it as an insult to us fans.

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2014, 10:26 AM
SK13
As Pretty as Oscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgrant View Post
Few quick points.

#1 The tank jobs are not intentional management is just plain incompetent.
I mean... yes, they were very intentional (at least beyond the 09/10 season, where half our team was injured in November and it was clear we were going to finish at the bottom for the first time).

They cleared holes for younger players with the balls-out admission that the team was not going to win very often. Were on the radio everyday declaring that rebuilding through the draft was the way to go.

Quote:
#2 This Oilers management has turned what should have been a 5 year rebuild into a 10 year rebuild.
I don't know if we'll ever get out of it, but it's worth saying: This coming draft is only the fourth since the rebuild began.

Quote:
Dont believe me? Look at the 2007 draft.

RD 1 Gagner Nash and Plante

Only management is to blame for such a mess.
Not a fantastic draft to begin with, but yeah, a couple botched first rounders. Not sure how this is the smoking gun you're presenting it as.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ EarWax View Post

Nice embellishment. It's never -40 for months on end, it's not even -20 for months on end. I believe the travel schedule is equally as terrible for the Canucks and Flames, plus with the new scheduling, it takes away a lot of advantage to the eastern conference. All Canadian and even some American markets are fish bowls. You think Crosby can walk around Pittsburgh without being noticed or harassed? This teams problems start and end with management, It has never had good to great management, even in the "glory days".
Until Winnipeg came back into the league, we were easily the coldest and most isolated City in the NHL. It is -40 for weeks, it IS -20 for months on end, it IS a hard city to travel from with lots of empty space on all sides. You point out that Calgary is not much better - Calgary is having or is about to have the same issues we've had.

The fishbowl thing... I think it can get on their nerves. Some guys (like Nathan Horton) will avoid cities like that, but I don't think it's the biggest thing in the world. I'll say this: I think Crosby will get noticed anywhere he is, but Pascal Dupuis will be able to slip under the radar. I don't think there's an Oiler that can do the same here.

Last edited by SK13: 05-10-2014 at 10:33 AM.
SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2014, 10:26 AM
Oi'll say!
Read this now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulleroinen View Post
So who is this hextall and why is he ********?
Phi goalie who lost in the Stanley Cup finals to Kevin Lowe and the Oil

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2014, 10:32 AM
Wheathead
Formally a McRib

Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Two thoughts:

1. I have no issues with what he said. He didn't say anything offensive and even said we would be a great team in 3 years. He was just using the opposite of the flyers who have been drafting well and haven't had the luxury of rebuilding with 1st overall picks.

2. I don't care about just making the playoffs. Sure it's nice but you aren't a winner unless you win it all.
Soooo... you'd rather finish in the bottom of the league unless the Oilers are a contender?

Odd.

Wheathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2014, 11:34 AM
Oi'll say!
Read this now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRib View Post
Soooo... you'd rather finish in the bottom of the league unless the Oilers are a contender?

Odd.
I agree it sounds odd but it makes sense if you remember where the Oilers were in the years from 1993-2008 or thereabouts. Constantly finishing in 8th-11th in the west, so there wouldn't be much hope for the playoffs and they never got a shot at even a top 10 pick.

If you think about it, worst overall in the nhl is 9th (conf), 17th (overall). You miss the show, your team doesn't get any playoff revenue, the players don't get any playoff experience, and you're still just drafting 14th overall. There's only a slight chance of getting an impact player at that spot unless it's 2003.

If you look at the rosters of the cup winners going back to '90 they almost all have a top 5 pick on them and the ones that don't still have impact players drafted in the top 10 (eg Sakic and Forsberg).

Finishing as low as the Oilers did isn't the killer, the killer right now is that they are supposed to be going up and they're plummeting (while they are talking like they just went up).

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2014, 11:45 AM
x GreatKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
I agree it sounds odd but it makes sense if you remember where the Oilers were in the years from 1993-2008 or thereabouts. Constantly finishing in 8th-11th in the west, so there wouldn't be much hope for the playoffs and they never got a shot at even a top 10 pick.

If you think about it, worst overall in the nhl is 9th (conf), 17th (overall). You miss the show, your team doesn't get any playoff revenue, the players don't get any playoff experience, and you're still just drafting 14th overall. There's only a slight chance of getting an impact player at that spot unless it's 2003.

If you look at the rosters of the cup winners going back to '90 they almost all have a top 5 pick on them and the ones that don't still have impact players drafted in the top 10 (eg Sakic and Forsberg).

Finishing as low as the Oilers did isn't the killer, the killer right now is that they are supposed to be going up and they're plummeting (while they are talking like they just went up).
This is where the Flames were for a few years and where we were just before we hit rock bottom. Not good enough to make the playoffs and not bad enough to get a decent pick.

Nobody LIKES the fact the Oilers tank but quite frankly, what choice do we have? When Marian Hossa turned down big money for a shot at the Cup in Detroit it should've become even clearer what players think of signing in Edmonton.

x GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2014, 11:57 AM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

The rebuild has been painful, but the problem with this team has been, and continues to be, a lack of veteran leadership. MacTavish addressed the issue by about half, I'd say, this past season.

The rebuild has given us some nice shiny toys, who have lost their luster with fans, moreso this season than ever before, but we still have some fantastic young talent on this team:
  • Hall, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins, Yakupov, Marincin, Klefbom, and Schultz.
  • We have Nurse, who is well on the way, looking really good.
  • We have the No. 3 pick overall this year.
  • We have some young players in the system who could fill out the bottom 6 shortly: Khaira, Moroz, Pitlick, and Ewanyk. I'd add Hamilton as a player who may be turning the corner finally and Lander as a potential third line, shutdown-minded pivot.
  • Yakimov, Roy, and Chase are all interesting picks with a range of talents and as of yet unknown upsides.
  • Brossoit is--I believe--a goalie of the future for the club.

MacTavish tried to bring in the veteran presence that we need:
  • Perron, Ference, Gordon, and Hendricks were solid veteran acquisitions this season. It is clear to me that we need more veterans of this ilk. These type of veteran players should become our UFA targets this summer on 1-2 year deals.

MacTavish also tried to add some size and toughness that we needed:
  • Joensuu and Gazdic (I really liked Joensuu early in the season, but I'd like to see him pick his spots more with his physical play; he can't be as physical as was at the beginning of the season, where he was a wrecking ball, without sustaining injury. Still, he has to play a physical game to be effective. I believe that injuries really hampered his game this season and fear of re-injury (back injuries are bad) really plagued his game. I'd like to see a healthy season from him.)
  • Hendricks (yeah, I'll mention him again) and Fraser add some physical play and toughness. I think a player like Fraser is sorely needed on the back end. He's tough as nails, but the Oilers simply are not a good enough team yet to carry Fraser. As the team improves a player like Fraser is a non-issue; until then, he is. Hendricks, I cannot say enough good things about him. The Oilers need this player going forward. Great addition, I like him almost as much as Gordon for what they bring on a nightly basis.

MacTavish still has his work cut out for him, but I think that last season, as I stated, he really cut the team's needs in about half with the moves that he did make. I think this off-season will give MacTavish the opportunity to address more of those needs; he is well positioned with cap space to make some useful veteran acquisitions. While he may not be able to address all of the team's needs in the off-season, it's clear to me that he knows what the team's deficiencies are and will address them through trade or graduated youth, whichever makes the most logical sense.

The two most pressing needs on this team are clear: a second line centreman and a top defender. One of those two needs will most certainly be met with the third overall pick. If the pick can play, and MacTavish can bring in a vet to cover the other position, then the Oilers will be in a reasonably good position to climb out of the basement. I think Arcobello could become a legit third line centreman, and Gagner could be dealt or moved to the wing. After Gagner's strong start this past season, post-injury Gagner did not have the season that he needed to have.

As always, I'm looking forward to next season. I don't think that it could possibly touch this season for disappointment, but I really didn't expect this past season to be quite so brutal either. It will depend on how adequately MacTavish can fill in the roster holes and upgrade the existing roster. I'm expecting MacTavish to make some interesting moves this summer. I do still have faith in him as a decision-maker.

Old
05-10-2014, 11:58 AM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Unless you think that K-Lowe and company have been on the right track then I don't think you can really bash any GMs for making fun of our organization.

I don't take it as an insult to us fans.
I didn't think anyone here was taking Hextall's bleating as a personal insult, at least I know I wasn't.

I just think if these words came from nearly any other GM in the NHL (i.e. someone who's actually spent more than 1 day wearing big boy pants for his management team), it wouldn't bother me much at all.

But Hextall? Shut the **** up, you snap show. He's probably still on the phone with the Flyers IT Support Staff trying to get them to unlock his user account for the 5th time because he keeps entering it incorrectly.

Get some time on the job, THEN start taking potshots at another organization in front of the cameras.

DISCLAIMER: The Oilers HAVE been idiots (though I think MacT has some brains, and at least he admits it's on him to fix this mess), don't take this as me defending their pathetic track record.

Digger12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2014, 12:07 PM
belair

vCash: 68
I find it funny how people are responding that he's right. He basically starts of by saying that 'although this team may be successful' and then basically rehashes the same garbage we've heard about this club for years. I'm sorry, but there's nothing profound about this guy's comments here.

And he spews some garbage about a 'winning culture' in Philadelphia. What are you winning? If you don't win a championship, you're not winning anything. Jay Feaster stood by the same methods of trying to stay competitive and you see where that got him.

Seriously. Enjoy your golf, Ron. That winning culture is speaking volumes.

belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2014, 12:08 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
I just think if these words came from nearly any other GM in the NHL....But Hextall? Shut the **** up, you snap show.
I think that it's fair to say that Hextall still has a bit of an axe to grind with the Oilers, but until we are a respectable team in this league, we kind of have to take it.

Gretzky once called the Devils a Mickey Mouse organization. It was true. Competitive people aren't always kind. You have to use it as motivation to get better.

Old
05-10-2014, 12:12 PM
x GreatKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
I find it funny how people are responding that he's right. He basically starts of by saying that 'although this team may be successful' and then basically rehashes the same garbage we've heard about this club for years. I'm sorry, but there's nothing profound about this guy's comments here.

And he spews some garbage about a 'winning culture' in Philadelphia. What are you winning? If you don't win a championship, you're not winning anything. Jay Feaster stood by the same methods of trying to stay competitive and you see where that got him.

Seriously. Enjoy your golf, Ron. That winning culture is speaking volumes.
This is how I feel. If it was Chicago or LA or Boston I could understand...

But this is a team that hasn't won anything in almost 40 years.

Never mind that they just did to Holmgren (who wasn't a very good GM) what we did to Lowe. Don't follow our method and then bash us you axe-grinding monkey.

Old
05-10-2014, 12:12 PM
Wheathead
Formally a McRib

Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post

I'd rather just make the playoffs and stop being the league's joke.

Wheathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2014, 12:13 PM
x GreatKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRib View Post
I'd rather just make the playoffs and stop being the league's joke.
I think we would too, but is just making the playoffs a measure of success? Would you call the San Jose Sharks a successful team?