HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo 'Demands Trade'

Closed Thread

Old
08-24-2005, 11:48 AM
zeke
#TeamReimer

vCash: 500
I think you guys have it backwards.

If Luongo does become available, the Leafs are one of the few teams with the capspace (this year, next year, and even the year after) to ante up and pay him what he wants on a long term deal.

Since he'll only be getting traded due to money concerns, this is what matters the most.

Money Money Money.

Old
08-24-2005, 12:06 PM
power29

Do you guys remember that the Islanders used our pick to select Luongo 4th overall that year...

New York Islanders traded Wendel Clark, Mathieu Schneider and D.J. Smith to the Toronto Maple Leafs for Darby Hendrickson, Sean Haggerty, Kenny Jonsson and 1st round selection (Roberto Luongo) in 1997.

We could have had him in the first place!!!

Old
08-24-2005, 12:20 PM
B.D. Gallof
HFB Partner

your headline is inaccurate.

Old
08-24-2005, 12:44 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

Sportsnet.ca -- It looks like top money will not be enough to keep Florida's top Cat in his cage.

A source close to Roberto Luongo's arbitration case told Sportsnet the star goaltender, just minutes before this mornings hearing, turned down a five-year, $25 million deal with the Florida Panthers.

Luongo opted to proceed with the club elected arbitration, which is expected to award him far less for next season. Under the new CBA, in two years Luongo will have the mandatory seven years experience needed to qualify for unrestricted status.

Speculation is Luongo is attempting to persuade the Panthers to trade him.

Old
08-24-2005, 12:50 PM
Leaf Army

The article in the first post does not say that Luongo has demanded a trade. It's a misleading title.

I shudder to think at what it would cost us (player/pick wise) to land Luongo. With Belfour for this year (and who knows, maybe next year too), we don't need him now.

You could gut the whole organization for Luongo, but what if a guy like Turco is on the UFA market next year and gets a similar, or even smaller, contract. Then Ferguson would look like a grade A moron.

Plus I've always thought that Luongo is slightly overrated anyway. All things considered, I wouldn't be interested in trading for him.

Old
08-24-2005, 01:07 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
The article in the first post does not say that Luongo has demanded a trade. It's a misleading title.

I shudder to think at what it would cost us (player/pick wise) to land Luongo. With Belfour for this year (and who knows, maybe next year too), we don't need him now.

You could gut the whole organization for Luongo, but what if a guy like Turco is on the UFA market next year and gets a similar, or even smaller, contract. Then Ferguson would look like a grade A moron.

Plus I've always thought that Luongo is slightly overrated anyway. All things considered, I wouldn't be interested in trading for him.
Just for fun to attempt to put a package together ..

The good thing is that Keenan likes vets .. So he would likely take Eddie as one piece of the trade and play him for a couple of years with his buddies Gary and Joe in an attempt to make the playoffs ..

Then the Leafs could toss in Rask for the future as with Luongo signed long term he would be a bit redundant and Florida has lots of young Forwards and Dmen but not future goalie ..

Then I would guess Keenan may request one of McCabe or Kabs .. and I am sure Tuckers name would come up ..

Belfour + Rask + (McCabe or Kaberle) + ??

Turn Florida into Toronto South ..

However as you point out under the new CBA and UFA dropping significantly do you gut your team to make a trade of this magnitute and are you even realistically able to beat other offers .. Detroit could offer them RFA Datsyuk in the package for example and TO could never compete.

But If Toronto could acquire Luongo and secure him for 5 years for 25 mil .. Then for the duration of this CBA nearly and the future they would be set in goal ..

Dreaming is fun .. Reality is what stinks I suppose ..

Old
08-24-2005, 01:21 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess
Just for fun to attempt to put a package together ..
I honestly don't think Toronto could realistically put a package together to get Luongo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess
But If Toronto could acquire Luongo and secure him for 5 years for 25 mil .. Then for the duration of this CBA nearly and the future they would be set in goal ..
That's really what it all boils down to.

A lot of fans don't like the fact that Belfour is 40 years old. They'd rather have a younger goalie so they can say we're set in goal for however many years.

Sure maybe that would help some people sleep at night not having to worry about who our goalie will be in 2007. And having a younger goalie would certainly give the trolls less fodder. But big deal.

Right now all I care about is that Belfour has a good year next year. That's all we need to worry about right now and I'm pretty confident that he will.

I guess it's human nature to panic and want to react and just assume that there won't be any good goalies available down the road. But of course there will be.

For today's Luongo, there's next year's Turco (or someone else). For evidence in what a difference a year can make, think of how much Kiprusoff's stock raised in a year and how much Cujo's fell.

Ride with Belfour while we have him. He should be fine. When he's done, then re-evaluate what the landscape looks like at that time. A year from now, the goaltending situation could look a lot different than it does now. No use worrying about it now.

Old
08-24-2005, 02:07 PM
Rusty Shackleford
Leafs Nation

He didn't demand a trade he just rejected the latest offer he got from Florida.

I wouldn't be to surprised if Florida traded him to Montreal for Jose Theodore, and Michael Ryder.

Old
08-24-2005, 02:08 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMan313

I wouldn't be to surprised if Florida traded him to Montreal for Jose Theodore, and Michael Ryder.
Then they will get Theodore's contract demands in return.

Old
08-24-2005, 02:25 PM
BrentZ10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke
I think you guys have it backwards.

If Luongo does become available, the Leafs are one of the few teams with the capspace (this year, next year, and even the year after) to ante up and pay him what he wants on a long term deal.

Since he'll only be getting traded due to money concerns, this is what matters the most.

Money Money Money.
Considering he rejected a 5 year deal worth 5 mil/year, it isn't about the money anymore. He wants out.

Old
08-24-2005, 05:51 PM
desperateblue

I think the leafs should man **** keenan now while they have the chance.
Besides its keenan it couldnt take that much to pry luongo and Jaybo from him.

Belfour,McCabe,Rask and tucker for Luongo and Jaybo Id do in a second and I think so would keenan.
Ive been sayin this since Aug 1 but I really think everyone on here seems to forget we arent fans of the poor sisters in the south, The leafs CAN go over the cap and still make money especially if they make it to the finals.
Its time for toronto to make a big splash in this off season and this would be quite the splash.

Old
08-24-2005, 06:29 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperateblue
I think the leafs should man **** keenan now while they have the chance.
Besides its keenan it couldnt take that much to pry luongo and Jaybo from him.

Belfour,McCabe,Rask and tucker for Luongo and Jaybo Id do in a second and I think so would keenan.
Ive been sayin this since Aug 1 but I really think everyone on here seems to forget we arent fans of the poor sisters in the south, The leafs CAN go over the cap and still make money especially if they make it to the finals.
Its time for toronto to make a big splash in this off season and this would be quite the splash.
Boy oh boy. Don't know what to correct first.

Old
08-24-2005, 06:41 PM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging Bull
If we ever wanted to get Luongo we would somehow have to get rid of Belfour, and how are we going to do that?
You trade him to a team that needs a goalie and give him up for pratically nothing! I love Belfour, but Luongo is an upgrade and has a long future!

Old
08-24-2005, 06:56 PM
BrentZ10

You could just trade him to Florida along with prospects and picks. Florida has Eddie for a year and goes after a UFA next year.

Old
08-24-2005, 09:55 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Tucker
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/panther...anth_0824.html

GM Jr. should get off his *** and pursue Luongo. Should have done it with an free agent offer.

I think my numbers are right," Lupien said. "I said to Mike, 'Give him four (million) and four (million) and you've got two full years to find out what number you want to give.' If you go to arbitration, it's over. You'll have to trade him.'
Yes because as everybody knows, we have the assets to pursue Luongo and not screw ourselves over in the future.

Old
08-24-2005, 10:02 PM
Orr

I want Luongo out of the Eastern Conference. Trade him to Colorado, Edmonton or Detroit.

Old
08-24-2005, 10:04 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentZ10
Florida has Eddie for a year and goes after a UFA next year.
Why is this a good idea for Florida, but not for us?

Old
08-24-2005, 10:05 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
Boy oh boy. Don't know what to correct first.
Ditto.

Old
08-24-2005, 10:06 PM
Big Mama*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Puppets
Yes because as everybody knows, we have the assets to pursue Luongo and not screw ourselves over in the future.
Luongo is the future if you want to win a cup. Antropov Boyes Colaiacovo Stajan do they ring a bell? They are todays present from the past when the future was planned.

I'll take Luongo.

Old
08-24-2005, 10:50 PM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMan313

You know Theo is worth more than Luongo right?

I really hope so, cause thats horrid for Montreal.

Old
08-24-2005, 11:20 PM
Waterboy73806498

Roberto Luongo should not, and most certainly will not be traded to the Maple Leafs any time this offseason or for the entire duration of the 2005-2006 season and quite possibly a lot longer.

The Florida Panthers took Luongo to arbitration today. The presiding judge of those arbitration hearings will declare his/her verdict tomorrow. The results of those arbitration hearings are binding and that will be the amount of Luongo's contract for the next two seasons. He will remain in Florida and will either be signed to another contract some time in the 2006-2007 season before he becomes a unrestricted free agent or he will become a UFA and go the highest bidder.

But for those individuals who would like to dream here are the reasons why Luongo isn't going anywhere.

Florida has no intention of trading Luongo because they need and want him. Since taking over the GM spot in Florida, Mike Keenan has gone on a purchasing spree in an effort to stock his team with reliable and proven leaders to make sure the Panthers are in contention for the Stanley Cup this spring. The list of players signed this offseason is impressive. Joe Nieuwendyk, Gary Roberts, Jozef Stumpel, Martin Gelinas, Chris Gratton and Jean-Marc Pelletier. Keenan isn't messing around and Luongo factors into the Panthers future of being a serious contender.

In addition the Panthers have plenty of cap room and can afford to pay Luongo any amount he desires but to do so in a non traditional hockey market that doesn't generate as much revenue as a place like Toronto would be foolish. Thus despite having more than enough cap room to give Luongo 6 or even 7 million a season Keenan feels he can get a first rate at a reduced cost and has taken him to arbitration. If Florida loses it will not be a major loss in terms of cap money for the franchise. If they win Florida makes a terrific 2 year investment. At the end of the 2 year contract look for Keenan to open his pocketbook to keep Luongo for another 4 years.

All the talk by Gilles Lupien, Luongo's agent, about forcing a trade may or may not be just a ploy to get more money. However, if Luongo is indeed serious about playing elsewhere it is in Florida's best interest to KEEP HIM. Since Luongo will be looking to cash in on being a unrestricted free agent in two season he will need to play the best hockey of his career. If Florida keeps him and his performance decreases because he is "unhappy" then so does his market value. And this whole disagreement is about money. So look for Luongo to come out and have an amazing season. Keenan is well aware of this.

From the Maple Leafs perspective Luongo does not fit into their short term plans. John Ferguson is pursuing a cautious wait and see approach with this new CBA while at the same time building the best team possible now and for the future. Every player under contract by the Maple Leafs expires at the end of the 2006-2007 season. Most expire at the end of this coming season but no player including McCabe and Sundin (both only 2 years left on their contracts) is tied up beyond 2006-2007. This allows Ferguson to sit back and see how this season plays out. Will teams like Philadelphia (with their plethora of expensive free agent signings) and Colorado (with the huge contracts given to Sakic and Blake) fail to win the cup and then have their hands tied due to their salary cap position?. How will Tellqvist or Aubin perform in the backup role to Eddie Belfour? (They will most certainly play nearly every time Toronto has back to back games to give Eddie a rest.) Will either of them be ready to assume the starting position for 2006-2007? Or will Belfour himself be able to come back for yet another season at the age of 41? These are just some of the questions that Ferguson will be able to answer at the end of this coming season. And at that time he will also have maximum flexibility to make the correct decisions required due to his conservative approach to contracts this summer. Then if the Maple Leafs can afford and really need a goaltender like Luongo for the 2006-2007 or even 2007-2008 seasons you'll be certain that Toronto will be a front runner in the bidding to acquire one.

In the meantime, sit back, relax, open a good bottle of Canadian beer (which is in very short supply in southern California) and enjoy another season of competitive Toronto Maple Leafs hockey. You wont be disappointed.

Old
08-25-2005, 08:59 AM
Big Mama*

Ever heard of the word pithy? Arbitration contracts are for one year only.

Old
08-25-2005, 09:02 AM
Original6

Don't look now spectorhockey is saying that we are going to make a few trades and has scenereos. All the scabs fans are trying to shoot em dead quick on their board. Check it out.

Old
08-25-2005, 09:13 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHockey
Don't look now spectorhockey is saying that we are going to make a few trades and has scenereos. All the scabs fans are trying to shoot em dead quick on their board. Check it out.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling...

And yet:

http://spectorshockey.tripod.com/spe...e_rumours.html

"The Sabres could shop one of their excess goaltenders as trade bait, but the market for goalies appears to have dried up for now. "

Weren't we talking about teams that might have troubles carrying too many keepers, and the fact there are so many keepers of the future on farm teams. Guess what? That future is now.

Old
08-25-2005, 10:50 AM
Waterboy73806498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Tucker
Ever heard of the word pithy? Arbitration contracts are for one year only.
I posted this particular line elsewhere but it bears mentioning again.

Quote:
Pithy according to websters "2 : having substance and point". Fantastic, the article had both

Another quote from the previous CBA agrement.

Quote:
The Club shall elect in its brief whether the arbitration award shall be for one or two years

Here is hte link
http://www.nhlpa.com/CBA/PDF/CBA-1997.pdf
Page 46, 2nd paragraph, 1st sentence.

It has been widely publicized that the new CBA changes some of the arbitration rules regarding who can take who to arbitration, the way awards are handed out etc. But I've yet to read where length of contract was changed. But if you have the link I'll gladly read it.

This just in. Luongo will make 3.2 million next season. Link is in a new post by "nju" At end of 2005-2006 season look for Keenan to open his pocketbook and give Luongo a better contract that will keep him in Florida for some time to come. Luongo isn't going anywhere.

Closed Thread