HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Assistant Coaches for next year

Old
05-09-2014, 07:34 AM
Mr Sakich

vCash: 500
Assistant Coaches for next year

Eakins is going to be the guy next year (much to the chagrin of some) and there is a thread on him. This thread is not about him. This thread is about the assistant coaches. I do not believe that the coaching staff will be the same next year despite Mact's support. IMO, MacT knew that Buchey and Smitha re probably gone and he wants to pump the tires of his old friends.

I have two ideas for assistant coaches and I think they would be an upgrade. There is no salary cap on coaching and this is one place that Katz can pay back some of th emoney he is making from this cash cow.

1) Goaltending coach - Mike Korn. He does not have a contract with the Predators next year and Trotz has been let go. He is credited by some for creating the goaltending factory in Nashville

2) powerplay coach - Adam Oates. He has questionable tactics for the overall game but his track record as a power play coach is very good. He can also help teach RNH a lot about face offs.

are there any other decent candidates?

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 08:37 AM
ManByng
It's Me OilTastic

during his last presser, it seemed to me that MacT gave assistants for life Bucky and Smith yet another vote of confidence, so *obviously* they aren't part of the problem, right? he practically dared Eakins to replace them, so he's practically pulled the rug out from under Eakins. if Dallas fires Bucky and Smith and replaces them with other assistants and they aren't successful, then he's got a reason to fire him and likely replace him with yet another of the *old boys club*. don't you just love the direction this team is going??

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 08:57 AM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 50
I disagree, OP.
if the oilers were going to get rid of coaches, I think they would have done so by now. especially with the glut of qualified people on the market.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 09:03 AM
ChefTO

I have a good feeling that Oates will be hired to replace Acton as an associate coach, and Nelson may get promoted...

ChefTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 09:16 AM
Oilception

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefTO View Post
I have a good feeling that Oates will be hired to replace Acton as an associate coach, and Nelson may get promoted...
do you disagree with these moves?

Id be Happy with those choices

Oilception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 09:40 AM
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
MacT said that he's leaving the coaching decision to Eakins and since Acton has been with Eakins every step of the way, i'd be shocked if he replaced him.

Nelson has stated that he doesn't want to be an assistant coach and I highly doubt that he's interested in being an assistant with the Oilers after the way they treated him.

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 09:46 AM
ChefTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
MacT said that he's leaving the coaching decision to Eakins and since Acton has been with Eakins every step of the way, i'd be shocked if he replaced him.

Nelson has stated that he doesn't want to be an assistant coach and I highly doubt that he's interested in being an assistant with the Oilers after the way they treated him.
MacT also said that Hemsky would not be back at the start of last season...

I wouldn't be surprised if Nelson rethinks his future and if he doesn't land a HC job with all the vacancy's in the NHL this offseason, then maybe he'll accept a job with the big club...

ChefTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 09:47 AM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
1) Goaltending coach - Mike Korn. He does not have a contract with the Predators next year and Trotz has been let go. He is credited by some for creating the goaltending factory in Nashville
It's actually Mitch Korn , not Mike Korn. However, I have been saying we should be hiring him for about a month now.

Korn's resume of goalies he coached include Hasek, Vokoun and Rinne. Not bad.

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 09:50 AM
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
MacT also said that Hemsky would not be back at the start of last season...

I wouldn't be surprised if Nelson rethinks his future and if he doesn't land a HC job with all the vacancy's in the NHL this offseason, then maybe he'll accept a job with the big club...
I'd like it if he and another assistant replaced the two cockroaches but i just don't think that it's realistic.
I think they need experience behind the bench anyway.

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 10:03 AM
McRobbiezyg

Adam Oates here as a powerplay coach would be amazing

McRobbiezyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 10:36 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
Meh. The bottom line is the players have to decide to get on board or there is no hope. If they don't, I see a core playing moving out first.

I don't think there will be any coaching changes. Maybe that's a good thing. MacT said the staff really started to click and got insinc towards the end of the season; who knows, maybe he wasn't just blowing sunshine up our -sses, maybe it was just plain true.

That would be the lone change; no changes.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 10:42 AM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed to Ruin View Post
It's actually Mitch Korn , not Mike Korn. However, I have been saying we should be hiring him for about a month now.

Korn's resume of goalies he coached include Hasek, Vokoun and Rinne. Not bad.
I have to remember not to type anything prior to 2nd cup of coffee. Thanks for correcting me.

Here are a few links that might provide some information on Mitch

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hoc...itch-korn.html

http://www.tennessean.com/story/spor...rinne/7784299/

interesting thing about Carter Hutton is that he is ufa and would probably follow Korn. This frees us to trade Fasth for defence / 2nd line center help. After the Olympic break, he was 9-2 allowing 17 goals in 11 games.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 11:28 AM
Mr Positive
Four-NinetySeven-Ten

vCash: 2739
Based on what the players, Stauffer, and MacT have said I think we should keep Steve Smith but maybe none of the other assistant and associate coaches. Steve runs our D, and although our D has been sub-par he hasn't had much to work with. Despite that, I like how our young Dmen have been developing. Apparently the D like and respect Smith too. Hopefully MacT gets him a solid anchor-type Dman to give him a hand.

I am a fan of bringing in Oates. If not Oates, then another former NHL head coach. Oates is perfect for the reasons stated in the OP, but Muller could be good too.

I don't know much about what goalie coaches are out there, but we should be exploring options there.

Stauffer is pimping the idea that we might add to the coaching staff (implying that we expand the staff and fire nobody). I disagree with that. There needs to be accountability, and if Eakins isn't getting axed then it should be someone else. We need to send the message that failure will have consequences, and next year it could be you.

Mr Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 11:48 AM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

oates is too passive.

Steve BachIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 11:53 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve BachIntyre View Post
oates is too passive.
You don't have to be an ass to be a good coach...You'd prefer Torts??

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 12:04 PM
missinthejets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
Based on what the players, Stauffer, and MacT have said I think we should keep Steve Smith but maybe none of the other assistant and associate coaches.
honestly Smith is probably the first one I'd can. Has any defenceman actually got better while he's been here?

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 12:05 PM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post
You don't have to be an ass to be a good coach...You'd prefer Torts??
ass? like a donkey? a muel? perhaps thats what the powerplay needs. a muel.

i was thinking more assertive and motivational like krueger.

Steve BachIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 12:15 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve BachIntyre View Post
ass? like a donkey? a muel? perhaps thats what the powerplay needs. a muel.

i was thinking more assertive and motivational like krueger.
? Oh, you mean a mule...

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 01:18 PM
ManByng
It's Me OilTastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up the Irons View Post
Meh. The bottom line is the players have to decide to get on board or there is no hope. If they don't, I see a core playing moving out first.

I don't think there will be any coaching changes. Maybe that's a good thing. MacT said the staff really started to click and got insinc towards the end of the season; who knows, maybe he wasn't just blowing sunshine up our -sses, maybe it was just plain true.

That would be the lone change; no changes.
^with who themselves? because they sure as hell weren't "in sync" with the players!

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 02:26 PM
McShogun99

I'd like to see Korn, Oates and promote Nelson to associate coach. Get rid of Bucky, Chabot and Acton. I'd prefer to get rid of Smith also but not sure who is currently available to replace him.

McShogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 02:41 PM
Mr Positive
Four-NinetySeven-Ten

vCash: 2739
Quote:
Originally Posted by missinthejets View Post
honestly Smith is probably the first one I'd can. Has any defenceman actually got better while he's been here?
Petry, Marincin, and Klefbom improved under him. Larsen looked somewhat passable.

Ference looked a bit worse than he did in Boston, but that's probably the result of outside factors. It's hard to judge where Justin Schultz should be. I think he was improving over the course of the year, but he definitely had the hardest assignment of any D on the team.

Nick Schultz never did well here, and even regressed imo, but he didn't do all that great in Columbus after we traded him either.

If I didn't know any behind the scenes stuff about Smith I would want him fired as well, but knowing it makes me think he's produced limited results with limited pieces. I still don't get any impression about what Bucky does exactly

Mr Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 04:34 PM
SupremeTeam16

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
I'd like to see Korn, Oates and promote Nelson to associate coach. Get rid of Bucky, Chabot and Acton. I'd prefer to get rid of Smith also but not sure who is currently available to replace him.

Go hard for Larry robinson while SJ is still trying to figure out what went wrong. He would be perfect, Stanley cup winning head coach, was a defensive stalwart in his day. Could really help out Eakins and really help our young Dmen.

Out: Chabot, Buch, Smith, Acton

In: Korn, Oates, Robinson, Nelson

I'd start with that coaching staff maybe a couple FA's and I'd bet we would see some improvement next season.

SupremeTeam16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 06:22 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

oilers will have the same coaches they have had this year

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 06:35 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
oilers will have the same coaches they have had this year
Yup. Disappointing but true.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 06:41 PM
Paralyzer008

Mitch Korn comes if you hire Trotz, he isn't just available for hire. That's how I see it.

Anyways, hoping for Oates, would look at promoting Nelson if he wanted to, Muller also interesting to me.

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote