HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Montreal Proposals

Closed Thread

Old
08-26-2005, 04:36 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

vCash: 500
Montreal Proposals

Montreal still needs help on D. IMO, they need a top RD to contend. They have a nice pool of forward prospects to deal from.

Phoenix has 8 defencemen signed. Mara has emerged as a top Dman, and Tanabe and soon Ballard will help carry the offense from the backend. Morris is only on a 1 year deal at the second highest salary behind Doan. With the lockout and the new CBA, maybe he doesn't fit into Phoenix's long-term plans, despite his recent acquisition. For the purpose of this proposal, I'm simply assuming that he will be a UFA next year rather than re-sign with Phoenix.

Phoenix
Derek Morris

Montreal
Michael Ryder AND Conditional draft pick if Morris re-signs

OR

Chris Higgins OR Alexander Perezhogin if Morris pre-agrees to a lengthy contract extension

Supposing this were to happen, perhaps Florida would take Craig Rivet to play alongside Bouwmeester, as he did with great results a few WCs ago. Despite the frequent slanders in the Habs forum, he is still a solid veteran. He would bring veteran leadership and adequate top 4 defence, though at a high salary. Florida still has a lot of cap room according to tsn. So, it would be similar to the other Dman dumps we've seen so far.

Montreal
Craig Rivet and a Conditional draft pick if Rivet doesn't re-sign with Flo

Florida
4th round pick

Old
08-26-2005, 04:58 PM
Traitor8

euh. Habs have 8th defenseman too...

Souray
Markov
Rivet
Komisarek
Dandenault
Hainsey
Bouillon
Streit

and we don't have a lot of scorers so we're not about to trade Ryder and plz don't even mention Higgins or Perezhogin.

And like it or not, Rivet's our 3rd defenseman and he is a leader on a team, he is also Saku's friend, we are not in cap trouble, there is absolutely no reason to do that trade.

Old
08-26-2005, 05:22 PM
Kruky

I don't think we have enough goalies. I think we need two #1's and 3 #2's.

So I say we bring Robert Dirk out of retirement and trade him to Florida for Luongo. Then we hire a midget and trade him to Detroit for Marc Lamothe.

#1 Theo and Luongo
#2 Huet, Danis and Lamothe

Seriously though, enough with all this. Montreal has been in a rebuilding phase for a few years now. We are about to see this year and next year if this rebuilding phase will work (we saw a bit two years ago). As for the defense, who knows what will happen this year with the new rules and all. You might be surprised, or you might have a feeling of deja vue.

But it can be that bad. Traverse and Dykhius are gone. So it can't be worse then it was.

I still remember when Dykhius took a shot on Theosleeps. He was going out of the zone and turns around and took a shot on him, almost in the face.

It's a good thing Theosleeps wasn't sleeping at that time.

Old
08-26-2005, 05:25 PM
Captain Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave
Phoenix
Derek Morris

Montreal
Michael Ryder AND Conditional draft pick if Morris re-signs

Come on !

Old
08-26-2005, 05:47 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
I'd think Ryder would be untouchable by any team.

Montreal actually had a pretty good prospect in him and I would highly doubt that they'd let him go. Unless Crosby was offered in return.

Old
08-26-2005, 05:54 PM
Pats Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordchezz
I'd think Ryder would be untouchable by any team.

Montreal actually had a pretty good prospect in him and I would highly doubt that they'd let him go. Unless Crosby was offered in return.
Man, I love Ryder. He's my current favourite player. But 'unless Crosby was offered' is a slight exagerration. Maybe I missed your sarcasm??

But, you're right. It would take a lot to pry him out of Montreal! Sidney will be in a Habs uniform in 7 years anyway. Just when he's hitting his prime.

Old
08-26-2005, 06:04 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACK!
Man, I love Ryder. He's my current favourite player. But 'unless Crosby was offered' is a slight exagerration. Maybe I missed your sarcasm??

But, you're right. It would take a lot to pry him out of Montreal! Sidney will be in a Habs uniform in 7 years anyway. Just when he's hitting his prime.

Did you ever miss my sarcasm hehe

Old
08-26-2005, 06:27 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Wow, I was expecting these kinds of responses from Habs fans, but still not to this degree. How is Ryder for Morris being silly? Why are Higgins and Perezhogin so untouchable that neither could be used to trade for several years of a top dman in his prime? Maybe it's the shock of seeing a Habs proposal involving quality for quality as opposed to the usual junk.

It's one thing to say that the Habs defence is fine as it is, or that Morris isn't the answer if it does need work. Maybe I'm underrating the Habs D corps, overrating Morris, or a little of both.

But I can't figure out the reluctance to contemplate dealing from strength to improve the team. There's a draft every year. This year Mikus and Latendresse are oh so exciting, and next year there will be others. But none of them this year or next will fill the needed role of a top RD for the Habs to seriously contend.

As a Habs fan, I think it's about winning, not having the nicest collection of prospects in the hfboards rankings.

Old
08-26-2005, 06:42 PM
Kruky

I know it's all about winning but, do you really expect that having Morris will win us more games? or a cup.

The only D I would go and get this year would be Scott Stevens at a low price so he could help our young D.

If you want Morris out of a trade, then I suggest Rivet and a 1st for Morris. But I know that will not happen so forget about it. I would not sacrify are up and coming prospect for a D.

Maybe in March, we shall talk about it again. But for now, lets wait and see what happens.

Old
08-26-2005, 06:59 PM
mcphee

2 years ago Morris' name always came up when we'd have pick your Team Canada of the future threads. You don't hear his name much now,has he regressed or plateau'd a bit ? You know,if the goal is to be more competitive this year, the trades make sense. It's been so long since Mtl. has developed some exciting offensive talent,that I'd hate to part with any of it right now. Value, though, you make interesting points. Rivet would be hard to trade, a team would have to have cap room and be looking to play a vet with a kid like you mention. Still, I'd like to see how the 3 forwards you mention develop. There's nothing stupid about it though, and I don't think being the captain's friend is a no trade clause.

Old
08-26-2005, 08:02 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

I don't have a big problem trading Ryder, or Higgins or Perezhogin or ANY player but the problem for me is the return. Morris imo is not worth moving Ryder who I would expect will be a major part of our offense this year. Why create a problem to solve another? Not saying Morris wouldn't help the team but losing Ryder would really hurt imo. Perezhogin/Higgins maybe able to replace his production but it's a big risk to assume they can until we see them in action.

I also would never trade our top prospect to get Morris but that's just me. Personally as a big fan of prospects, I fear Gainey will be moving a prospect or two but hopefully the return is worth it. I really didn't mind losing Balej, when we had Perezhogin and Kostitsyn right there, but I'd be pissed to see one of our prospects traded at this point when we have waited for the last few years to see our prospects finally make an impact. I don't expect Perezhogin, Higgins, Plekanec, Streit to make a huge impact this year, but as a fan I have been waiting for the day when they are in the lineup. I know Gainey will do what he thinks needs to be done and it's the end result that really matters, so we'll see what happens.

Old
08-26-2005, 08:25 PM
Lambert Closse

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal

I also would never trade our top prospect to get Morris but that's just me. Personally as a big fan of prospects, I fear Gainey will be moving a prospect or two but hopefully the return is worth it. I really didn't mind losing Balej, when we had Perezhogin and Kostitsyn right there, but I'd be pissed to see one of our prospects traded at this point when we have waited for the last few years to see our prospects finally make an impact. I don't expect Perezhogin, Higgins, Plekanec, Streit to make a huge impact this year, but as a fan I have been waiting for the day when they are in the lineup. I know Gainey will do what he thinks needs to be done and it's the end result that really matters, so we'll see what happens.
I have faith in Bob Gainey and lik e you i really think he is about to sacrifice at least one of his top forward prospect for a defenseman. I predict that Plekanec could go for a good d-man or Perezhogin for a better one. Like I said in another post, Habs have many same age forward propects and we can't expect them to play all with the team within a year or two.

Old
08-26-2005, 08:42 PM
espo*

I've never been all that crazy about Morris............i'd be nervous giving up Ryder for him.

Old
08-26-2005, 08:50 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
I don't have a big problem trading Ryder, or Higgins or Perezhogin or ANY player but the problem for me is the return. Morris imo is not worth moving Ryder who I would expect will be a major part of our offense this year. Why create a problem to solve another? Not saying Morris wouldn't help the team but losing Ryder would really hurt imo. Perezhogin/Higgins maybe able to replace his production but it's a big risk to assume they can until we see them in action.
I understand this, but I figure Ryder can be moved because a full season of Bonk and Kovalev, along with whatever Perezhogin/Higgins and others bring, should more than cover the deficit. I'm probably in the minority, but I think Ryder will have difficulty duplicating last season's totals because he might see less time on the PP with Bonk and Kovalev, and he might be pushed around the line-up by guys like Perezhogin and Higgins.

I've always liked Morris, and I think he would be ideal for Montreal for all kinds of reasons. Though I think his best years are ahead of him, I see why someone would be a little sceptical about him being a bona fide top 2. As mcphee sort of suggested, he might have plateaued prematurely or even regressed, and in this case it would make sense to trade one of the Habs best prospects for someone better.

But if Montreal's biggest need is in fact a top RD with many years of good hockey ahead of him, who else might be available?

Old
08-26-2005, 09:39 PM
Pats Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordchezz
Did you ever miss my sarcasm hehe
Hard to know with some of the things you see on these boards

But Montreal is fine with their current lineup (assuming Ryder and Theo are signed). It is time for the young guns to shine or get off the pot (to mix a couple of sayings). Give them their shot this year to see if they are indeed worthy of donning the CH!!!

Closed Thread