HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Smolinski?

Closed Thread

Old
08-26-2005, 02:47 AM
15theheatison*

vCash: 500
Smolinski?

Hey Preds fans. I'm a Sens fan and just wanted to drop this tidbit from the Ottawa Sun. Keep in mind it's Bruce Garrioch.

Link

Near the bottom of the page:
Meanwhile, Senators GM John Muckler still hopes to tinker with the lineup. The club is looking for help at centre and has been trying to move veteran forward Bryan Smolinski before camp opens. There is talk the Predators are interested in Smolinski, who will count nearly $2.25 million against the salary cap this season.

Would you guys seriously be interested?

EDIT: Well, I don't know how credible this is anymore. Smoke only counts $1.76 million towards the cap.

Old
08-26-2005, 02:51 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

we don't know. david poile doesn't tell us anything, anymore

i'd not be shocked, but not really my first choice, on the same note.

Old
08-26-2005, 07:12 AM
NH_Predsfan

What makes me nervous/unhappy about a potential Smolinski trade are the implications (esp. given our own salary cap/budget number). Getting Smolinski suggests to me that we're either not going to sign Erat & Hall -or- we'd trade them for Smolinski (not a good deal imho) -or- we'd have to trade someone else to stay under our magic number.

Old
08-26-2005, 04:24 PM
dulzhok

I'm middle of the road on Smolinski. I think he has the potential to be pretty-good, but he also has the potential to be pretty average. I also think that would put us over the revenue sharing barrier. I'm more inclined to try out options from within (Robitaille, trying out Sullivan or Hall or even Hartnell at center). If those options fail, then we can go after a stop-gap solution like Smolinski, Rucchin, Damphousse, etc).

Old
08-26-2005, 04:29 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok
I'm middle of the road on Smolinski. I think he has the potential to be pretty-good, but he also has the potential to be pretty average. I also think that would put us over the revenue sharing barrier. I'm more inclined to try out options from within (Robitaille, trying out Sullivan or Hall or even Hartnell at center). If those options fail, then we can go after a stop-gap solution like Smolinski, Rucchin, Damphousse, etc).
I agree, but then again, I also think what we have in this organization really isn't going to be what we want at the center position.

I like Smoke...a little pricey, but he certainly would be a solid upgrade, especially if he was more of a dump trade.

08-26-2005, 04:36 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
I agree, but then again, I also think what we have in this organization really isn't going to be what we want at the center position.

I like Smoke...a little pricey, but he certainly would be a solid upgrade, especially if he was more of a dump trade.
The big question to me is will that put us over the revenue sharing line? If we're going to over that line, IMO, we should shoot for a true 1st line center like Richards. We've got a ton of assets to spare, and we're probably in as good of position as anybody to get him.

If that doesn't put us into non-revenue sharing territory, that I say go for it.

Old
08-26-2005, 10:57 PM
Osprey

I really liked Smolinski on the Kings and was disappointed when he was traded. I always valued him a little more highly than most, but I think that he would be a good fit for the Predators. He's a fairly good playmaker, has decent speed and is quite responsible defensively. He's shown to be capable at both #1 PK and #2 PP duties. He also has almost a hundred games of playoff experience, which is always welcome on a young team, though he's not the leader type.

He can be frustrating because he has a tendency to go long stretches without putting the puck into the net, but he's fairly consistent on defense and playmaking. If he's demoted because he's not scoring, he does worse, so it's important that the coach demonstrate confidence in him and not demote him or reduce his ice time, letting him work through it and find the touch, instead.

He'd be close to free because he'd likely be a salary dump, so there isn't much risk. The only question is if it would put the team over $28.5M, as has been mentioned. Smolinski probably wouldn't be worth that, but getting him if he could be fit in underneath that would be.

I think that he'd fit into the Predators fairly well. Perhaps centering Kariya would be just the thing for him. Personally, I hope Poille gets him.

Old
08-27-2005, 10:29 AM
PredDave

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/nas050826.html

Here's another article about "Preds interested in Smolinski".
It could be a bunch of hooey, but its fun to think about...

PredDave

Old
08-27-2005, 10:31 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredDave
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/nas050826.html

Here's another article about "Preds interested in Smolinski".
It could be a bunch of hooey, but its fun to think about...

PredDave

I question why? We are going to exceed our self imposed cap with the acquisition of Smoke, right? I could see us doing that to get a really good player. But Smolinski hasn't been a really good player since the turn of the century. For around 1.5 mil, he'd be a great acquisition, but not at well over 2.

Old
08-27-2005, 10:37 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
I question why? We are going to exceed our self imposed cap with the acquisition of Smoke, right? I could see us doing that to get a really good player. But Smolinski hasn't been a really good player since the turn of the century. For around 1.5 mil, he'd be a great acquisition, but not at well over 2.
wholeheartedly agree ... I'd rather go with the veterans we've got right now, instead of trading a player/pick for another one

Old
08-27-2005, 10:45 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus O' Toole
wholeheartedly agree ... I'd rather go with the veterans we've got right now, instead of trading a player/pick for another one
Without bringing anyone in and with Robitaille not making the top 6, this is our top 6, in my opinion: Kariya, Sullivan, Legwand, Walker, Erat, Hartnell. Something like this would be fine with me.

Kariya - Legwand - Hartnell
Erat - Sullivan - Walker
Hall - Johnson - Upshall

I know Sully doesn't want to player center and that could force us to make changes if he's insistant on wing. I thought I'd keep Sullivan and Walker together for old times sake. But it gives our lines solid balance and speed. This is just an "off the wall" lineup meant to create discussion. I wouldn't mind seeing Erat playing with Legwand and Kariya, either.

Closed Thread