HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I'll be cheering hard for Marty tonight.

Old
05-14-2014, 01:09 PM
NHLeitner

vCash: 500
The only thing that is continuing my cheering against Marty is that he got, and is continuing to get, everything he wanted.

Wanted to be named captain. Got it.
He wanted to make the Olympic team. Got it. Won a gold medal.
He didn't make the team initially so he wanted a trade. Got it.
Only wanted to be traded to 1 team. Got it.
Wanted a final cup run at the end of his career. Got it.

All he had to do was act like a child the entire time.

NHLeitner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 01:49 PM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFC View Post
Is that taking the NJD situation into account? Or does that push us to a possible 25th?
Not gonna be 25th, 26 or later. 26-27 are ECF and WCF loser whichever has the worse record. 28 Stanley cup loser, 29 winner and 30th the Devils.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 01:59 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Thats not all completely true - he wanted the trade before the season started

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 02:05 PM
Kramerica Industries

the ****?

Then someone did something really stupid in giving him the "C" in the knowledge of these facts.

Kramerica Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 02:33 PM
angelsil
On Thin Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramerica Industries View Post

Then someone did something really stupid in giving him the "C" in the knowledge of these facts.
If he was actively requesting a trade before the season started (not just general knowledge that he'd talked about it a few years ago), you are completely right.

Why would they make him captain in that case?!

angelsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 04:03 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 286
I can almost justify giving him the "C" in an effort to change his mind. I'm not saying it's a decision I would have made or that it was a smart decision but I can at least understand their reasoning. It shouldn't have been offered and MSL is just as bad for accepting.

05-14-2014, 04:05 PM
berlin
wait...... what?

Finish what you started! There's no excuse!

berlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 04:47 PM
DFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsil View Post
If he was actively requesting a trade before the season started (not just general knowledge that he'd talked about it a few years ago), you are completely right.

Why would they make him captain in that case?!
It would have drawn a lot of attention if they didn't give him the C. They probably thought he'd be here for at least this year and hopefully to the end of his contract. If they didn't give him the C, it would look pretty terrible, unless they were willing to go public with the trade request, which obviously they weren't since we didn't hear about it until Marty went nuclear.

The classier thing would have been for Marty to publicly step aside and hand it to Stammer.

DFC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 05:13 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

Quote:
Originally Posted by berlin View Post
Finish what you started! There's no excuse!
Personally I think he was going to finish what he started. Then Yzerman did his magic in negotiations at the deadline for him with the Rangers. Basically he said blow us away with a deal and well make it happen. We know the rest of the story. I think MSL would still be here had we not got such a great deal from them. We would be saying MSL didn't say anything and that it was all bs. I do think MSL asked for a trade but I think he was willing to stay here too and finish out his end of the deal for captain. We just got a deal we couldn't pass up for him.

Hell I think I would do the trade for him even if he didn't ask to be traded and somebody offered what we got. It was a hell of return. He's at the end of his career and our window is just opening up. I would have given him an opportunity to win it all with the team of his choice as long as we got a hell of a deal for him. We did, I can see why people are mad at him but I see why he asked for a trade and also don't think it was necessarily the right thing to do but it's done and we got a hell of a return for him. Now he can lose in the next round because I never liked the rangers to begin with.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 05:31 PM
DFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanOberg View Post
Personally I think he was going to finish what he started. Then Yzerman did his magic in negotiations at the deadline for him with the Rangers. Basically he said blow us away with a deal and well make it happen. We know the rest of the story. I think MSL would still be here had we not got such a great deal from them. We would be saying MSL didn't say anything and that it was all bs. I do think MSL asked for a trade but I think he was willing to stay here too and finish out his end of the deal for captain. We just got a deal we couldn't pass up for him.

Hell I think I would do the trade for him even if he didn't ask to be traded and somebody offered what we got. It was a hell of return. He's at the end of his career and our window is just opening up. I would have given him an opportunity to win it all with the team of his choice as long as we got a hell of a deal for him. We did, I can see why people are mad at him but I see why he asked for a trade and also don't think it was necessarily the right thing to do but it's done and we got a hell of a return for him. Now he can lose in the next round because I never liked the rangers to begin with.
Obviously Yzerman got a great deal, but it was pretty easy to see he was over a barrel while making it, just by his post-trade press conference. There was also a report, I can't remember who from (Doug MacLean maybe?) where a long-time teammate of Yzerman's said, "I've seen Stevie mad. I've never seen him this mad."

I really don't think it was Yzerman trying to do MSL a favor. He definitely got a big return, but at the same time, everything we've seen/heard/read has indicated his hand was forced. And we saw how the team was playing through that stretch.

Old
05-14-2014, 06:14 PM
BOLTMAN

I didn't spend a lot time looking thru everything today.

But did I miss it somewhere?

How come no that we now have an extra 1st round draft pic. Thanks to old man Marty and the

BOLTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 06:29 PM
Stamverine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOLTMAN View Post
I didn't spend a lot time looking thru everything today.

But did I miss it somewhere?

How come no that we now have an extra 1st round draft pic. Thanks to old man Marty and the

It's in several threads and I think the trade post in the main boards was bumped by someone.

Stamverine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 07:21 PM
robertguess2013

Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamverine View Post
It's in several threads and I think the trade post in the main boards was bumped by someone.
Ya i would suggest we dont go to main boards on this one. The rangers right now will say they love the deal and jump all over us im betting we will see when the tide changes again how much they love the deal.

I havent been there but know there fans lol. I will say the trade so far with 2 first is ok. Just ok not ideal. If we can get callahan in for 5.8 say for 5 years we won this hands down. I kinda look forward to the rangers falling apart now so can watch the rangers turn on him and everyone else there as always.

Some deserve it and others will deserve some of the hate which is coming. Just my opinion.

robertguess2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 09:36 PM
hfgreg
Obviously...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertguess2013 View Post
Ya i would suggest we dont go to main boards on this one. The rangers right now will say they love the deal and jump all over us im betting we will see when the tide changes again how much they love the deal.
Rags can say what they want, Murray will surely make this a win for us.. lets hope they crap the bed next season and get us a lotto pick

hfgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 09:54 PM
Bolt32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfgreg View Post
Rags can say what they want, Murray will surely make this a win for us.. lets hope they crap the bed next season and get us a lotto pick
That is my hope. Imagine us getting a chance at Eichel or Mcdavid?

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 09:56 PM
Kramerica Industries

I don't why one team has to "win" a trade. The Lightning got two first round picks out of this trade, giving them extra assets to try and shore up some team needs. The Rangers are in the Conference Final and eight wins away from a Cup. I'd say both teams have fared just fine in all off this to this point; neither side is complaining with what happened.

Old
05-14-2014, 10:51 PM
dbieon12
Stamkos HOF

Habs, Rags. Great. Can both lose?

Old
05-15-2014, 10:32 AM
Stamverine

Quote:
I don't why one team has to "win" a trade. The Lightning got two first round picks out of this trade, giving them extra assets to try and shore up some team needs. The Rangers are in the Conference Final and eight wins away from a Cup. I'd say both teams have fared just fine in all off this to this point; neither side is complaining with what happened.
Well, that's how the trade thread is going IIRC. Everyone wants to have "won" the trade already.

Stamverine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 12:10 PM
Kramerica Industries

Because both sides have won! They've gotten what they wanted. What, would it have been better for the Rangers to lose against Pittsburgh and save that 2014 1st round pick? Analyzing trades is something that has to be done within the context of both sides and their goals.

Old
05-15-2014, 12:50 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Because both sides have won! They've gotten what they wanted. What, would it have been better for the Rangers to lose against Pittsburgh and save that 2014 1st round pick? Analyzing trades is something that has to be done within the context of both sides and their goals.
The only way the Rangers win is if they win the Cup. That is what their fanbase expects.

MattM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 01:36 PM
DFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM92 View Post
The only way the Rangers win is if they win the Cup. That is what their fanbase expects.
Yup. And with some very serious decisions looming in the off-season, this could be their one crack at it.

Old
05-15-2014, 07:23 PM
LoSTRaMaiR

Quote:
I agree, I think. I don't think anyone "wins" a trade. Just seems like a coping mechanism that people have to not feel like they were taken advantage of.

Marty was my favorite player, and someone that I really looked up to and respected. We lost Vinny and Marty in the same year. Some draft picks mean far less to me than what has been lost.

We just move on I guess.

I did not know about Marty's mother passing, and I am truly sorry to hear about that. It is a horrible thing to have happen to anybody, and something that will happen to everybody.

LoSTRaMaiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2014, 03:53 PM
DarrylshutzSydor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM92 View Post
If they make the final that would be a win, or at least not a loss. Go Marty! Classy player and I will always cheer for you!

DarrylshutzSydor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2014, 06:27 PM
LoSTRaMaiR

I will always be mad about the way this all went down, but as far as Marty is concerned (especially if he retires soon) it looks like he DID make the correct "career" choice (where the Bolts are now, vs where the Rangers are now). If he does retire after this season, then I hope that they win. Richards is there, and Dominic Moore (letting him go and then his wife) is there. I have no reason to support any other team more than the Rangers. If they win it all and Marty doesn't retire, then I will go back to being mad at him. But for now, they have my support.

LoSTRaMaiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2014, 07:27 PM
FDfranklin
Check Mate

I love the way the Rangers defend the space in front of Lundqvist

FDfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote