HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

My kingdom for realistic trades

Closed Thread

Old
08-26-2005, 07:12 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

vCash: 500

Looks like a *lot* of people need a refresher on how to make a realistic trade. What to look at:

1. Teams trade to fill weaknesses, dealing from strength when they can. Most the people here seem to understand this part, but you still get a few yahoos who try lateral trades (similar for similar). You only see trades like that when one of the parties is demanding to leave or has personal issues with where he's at.

2. Teams have budgets. If your trade has a close-to-cap team taking on ten million in salary, rethink the trade.

3 (the one SO many people ignore). Just because your trade fills weaknesses and is salary-compatible does not make it a reasonable, realistic trade. The trade must also be roughly EQUAL VALUE. Not every GM is Milbury. If your team has a plethora of goons and needs scorers, and another team has a plethora of scorers and wants a goon, offering a goon for a scorer isn't going to get it done, because scorers are worth much more than goons 99% of the time. It doesn't matter if a team wants a depth defenseman, they're not going to give up a premium player to get one; #5-6 defensemen are everywhere. And no one wants another team's trash, no matter how many of them you pile on.

4. 4th round picks and lower are virtually worthless. If you think you need to throw one in to make a trade more "equal", then you're not offering enough.

5. First round picks are premium assets. Teams do not throw them into trades lightly. Unless your trade includes very high quality players moving around, don't bother.

6. If you're in a position where you're forced into dumping salary, your players are worth a third of their usual value, if that.

7. Quality prospects are always overvalued by their own team and undervalued by everyone else. Take this into consideration if you're trying to get or move one.

Probably a hopeless cause, and probably a few I'm forgetting, but hey at least I can look God himself in the face and say I tried...

Old
08-26-2005, 07:17 PM
Pats Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Ike
Looks like a *lot* of people need a refresher on how to make a realistic trade. What to look at:

1. Teams trade to fill weaknesses, dealing from strength when they can. Most the people here seem to understand this part, but you still get a few yahoos who try lateral trades (similar for similar). You only see trades like that when one of the parties is demanding to leave or has personal issues with where he's at.

2. Teams have budgets. If your trade has a close-to-cap team taking on ten million in salary, rethink the trade.

3 (the one SO many people ignore). Just because your trade fills weaknesses and is salary-compatible does not make it a reasonable, realistic trade. The trade must also be roughly EQUAL VALUE. Not every GM is Milbury. If your team has a plethora of goons and needs scorers, and another team has a plethora of scorers and wants a goon, offering a goon for a scorer isn't going to get it done, because scorers are worth much more than goons 99% of the time. It doesn't matter if a team wants a depth defenseman, they're not going to give up a premium player to get one; #5-6 defensemen are everywhere. And no one wants another team's trash, no matter how many of them you pile on.

4. 4th round picks and lower are virtually worthless. If you think you need to throw one in to make a trade more "equal", then you're not offering enough.

5. First round picks are premium assets. Teams do not throw them into trades lightly. Unless your trade includes very high quality players moving around, don't bother.

6. If you're in a position where you're forced into dumping salary, your players are worth a third of their usual value, if that.

7. Quality prospects are always overvalued by their own team and undervalued by everyone else. Take this into consideration if you're trying to get or move one.

Probably a hopeless cause, and probably a few I'm forgetting, but hey at least I can look God himself in the face and say I tried...

Hey Ike:

God sent me an e-mail (said you 'weren't on his list' - whatever that means ) and says it's pretty much futile to try for a 'realistic trade' on these boards - in fact it's an oxymoron. Nobody's fault - just homers being homers. Even he himself proposed trading Theodore straight up for Luongo, JBo, Weiss and Jokinen. If you get the jist....

Old
08-26-2005, 07:22 PM
Waterboy73806498

Quote:

Unfortunately intelligence isn't a prerequisite for membership. A pity. But your post is a noble effort none the less.

Old
08-26-2005, 08:29 PM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Hey Richard III, you're beating your head against a wall with this thread. Like your horse, reasonableness amongst HF posters has long since left the barn.

08-26-2005, 08:31 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACK!
Even he himself proposed trading Theodore straight up for Luongo, JBo, Weiss and Jokinen. If you get the jist....
so you're saying that God is a Hab's homer then?

Old
08-26-2005, 08:48 PM
Strangelove

Quote:
Just your kingdom??

Get real!

Ummmm... no deal.

Old
08-26-2005, 09:47 PM
Pats Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
so you're saying that God is a Hab's homer then?
Bingo! just paraphrasing what was in the e-mail...

Old
08-27-2005, 12:04 AM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 50
Trade you a third round pick for your kingdom.

Old
08-27-2005, 12:34 AM
Ender

Send a message via AIM to Ender Send a message via Yahoo to Ender
3rd? I'd offer no more then a 4th.

Old
08-27-2005, 12:51 AM
Magnus Fulgur

How about Heatley for Hossa and deVries???

Either that or:

To Boston: Bertuzzi, Luongo, Datsyuk, Vancouver's 1st
To Detroit: Samsonov, Jokinen, Jovocop, Huselius
To Florida: Thornton, Cloutier, Gill, Detroit's 1st
To Vancouver: Bouwmeester, Horton, Raycroft, Detroit's 3rd
To Washington: A good spanking from all 29 other teams, Bondra's cellphone # from Atlanta, and his agent's number from Ottawa and Philly.

Last edited by Magnus Fulgur: 08-27-2005 at 01:15 AM.
Old
08-27-2005, 12:56 AM
DialT0ne

hm. nice info.

Old
08-27-2005, 04:47 AM
Archijerej

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACK!
Hey Ike:

Nobody's fault - just homers being homers. Even He himself proposed trading Theodore straight up for Luongo, JBo, Weiss and Jokinen. If you get the jist....
Hahaha, that was a good one

Old
08-27-2005, 10:32 AM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheech1488
3rd? I'd offer no more then a 4th.
I'll give you Montador, Koltsov, Hossa, Hainsey and a pick.

Old
08-27-2005, 10:48 AM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd also add that arguments like:

The Islanders would do this trade because it's Mad Mike,

or

Florida will trade Weiss for little because he's 'not a Keenan player' are stupid as well.

If you have to justify a trade by saying a team will do it because their GM is crazy, you're reaching.

Closed Thread