HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Roller Hockey Chassis

Old
05-10-2014, 10:35 PM
DanNYI2191

vCash: 500
Roller Hockey Chassis

Always skated with a Hi-lo 76/80 set up on a mission skate. I switched to Alkali skates which had a straight 80 setup. I played the full season with it (17 games and practice 2x a week since September), and still didn't get used to it. My balance was off, I felt slower, and I just seemed unsure on my skates. Now, I'm switching back to my Missions and using a 76/80.

Another issue may be that my Missions were the most comfortable skate I ever wore. I have very wide and flat feet, and I think the Alkali boot was too narrow.

Anyone else deal with this issue? I haven't gotten my new wheels yet so I'm hoping that switching back will improve my skating.

DanNYI2191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2014, 10:52 PM
Ozz

Going back to the pre-Mission skates days (yes, a long time), I always skated on a full rockered chassis. When the Hi-Lo came out, I disliked them and kept my old skates.

Many years passed and I've gotten back into playing inline, and I ended up with the RBK tri-di chassis because it gave a front rocker. It was close and felt enough like an ice chassis. It was, however, weak, and after going through 2 chassis sets being broken I finally gave up on them. While waiting to find the right skate, I used a friend's Hi-Lo Missions and felt fine in them. Transition took only a few strides to really get the feel for the difference in wheel base.

Anyway, I ended up with Alkalis. Initially the large wheels throughout felt weird, but after a shift or two I felt perfectly fine. Never any slowness, inability to move, skate backwards, or anything like that. I ended up hating the boots though and got rid of them quickly. I did end up customizing a pair of ice Bauer Vapor X50s with a Labeda Hum'er (straight 80mm) chassis. I love 'em. I specifically wanted that chassis, though.

A teammate has the same Alkalis I had for a month, and he took at least 2 months to get really used to them as far as boot fitment was concerned. The wheel setup itself didn't bother him, and he was coming from a Hi-Lo setup as well. He still uses them and they finally feel normal.

FWIW, the Alkalis he and I had were mid-level. A few of the guys at my rink use the top of the line Alkalis and haven't ever had a bad thing to say about them. I wasn't about to spend that kind of dough to find out and unfortunately nobody had a large enough foot so I could try theirs out.

I guess the takeaway from me would be: "No, I haven't had any problems transitioning between different chassis styles".

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2014, 11:19 PM
DanNYI2191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Going back to the pre-Mission skates days (yes, a long time), I always skated on a full rockered chassis. When the Hi-Lo came out, I disliked them and kept my old skates.

Many years passed and I've gotten back into playing inline, and I ended up with the RBK tri-di chassis because it gave a front rocker. It was close and felt enough like an ice chassis. It was, however, weak, and after going through 2 chassis sets being broken I finally gave up on them. While waiting to find the right skate, I used a friend's Hi-Lo Missions and felt fine in them. Transition took only a few strides to really get the feel for the difference in wheel base.

Anyway, I ended up with Alkalis. Initially the large wheels throughout felt weird, but after a shift or two I felt perfectly fine. Never any slowness, inability to move, skate backwards, or anything like that. I ended up hating the boots though and got rid of them quickly. I did end up customizing a pair of ice Bauer Vapor X50s with a Labeda Hum'er (straight 80mm) chassis. I love 'em. I specifically wanted that chassis, though.

A teammate has the same Alkalis I had for a month, and he took at least 2 months to get really used to them as far as boot fitment was concerned. The wheel setup itself didn't bother him, and he was coming from a Hi-Lo setup as well. He still uses them and they finally feel normal.

FWIW, the Alkalis he and I had were mid-level. A few of the guys at my rink use the top of the line Alkalis and haven't ever had a bad thing to say about them. I wasn't about to spend that kind of dough to find out and unfortunately nobody had a large enough foot so I could try theirs out.

I guess the takeaway from me would be: "No, I haven't had any problems transitioning between different chassis styles".
Thanks for the response. I have the mid-level Alkalis too (CA4's I believe). Now that I'm thinking more about it, I think it was the boot that I dislike more than the wheels. Straight 80s is such a different feel though.

DanNYI2191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 06:55 AM
gosinger

I went from rocked (Tuuk Rocker) to 80-80-72-72 (old European Eastons) to 80-80-76-76 (Mission Vanguard) to recently a quasi-rockered 76-76-76-76 (Marsblade), never took me more than a couple of skates to get into.

If you feel too much on your toes/heels, a lift/shim might be the way to go. Regarding fit, I've started to convert old ice skates to roller pretty soon, as there are more options available (plus great use for your old ice skates, or even used skates).

gosinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 08:00 AM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNYI2191 View Post
Thanks for the response. I have the mid-level Alkalis too (CA4's I believe). Now that I'm thinking more about it, I think it was the boot that I dislike more than the wheels. Straight 80s is such a different feel though.
We each had the CA5, and I felt they weren't enough for me. I was also coming from RBK 8K which are hove quality. My friend came from some beat up set of skates that must have been 7 years old so they were still a step up for him. I skate more aggressively and weigh more than him as well, so that surely adds to why I may have disliked them while he didn't.

I'd say if you can tough it out with that boot long enough to get used to the chassis, you could at least look for a better boot that also offers it later. Or you could always look at other HiLo setups. I almost bought the Mission AC1/AC2 on a closeout until I was able to build my customized Bauer ice conversion for much less. Bauer also makehas a great inline (XR series) line with a HiLo.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote