HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Idea: Noronen to Florida?

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2003, 03:56 PM
eSabre

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to eSabre
Idea: Noronen to Florida?

Okay, with the log jam of goaltenders in the system, we have the ability to move a goaltender. In today's waiver draft, the Panthers lost their backup, Jani Hurme to Carolina, and their third goalie, Chris Mason to Nashville. Although they did claim Stephen Valiquette from Edmonton, they need a solid backup. So, why don't the Sabres deal Mika Noronen to Florida? I don't know what we could get, but then we could sign or acquire an inexpensive veteran, to back-up Biron. If Biron fails at stepping up and taking sole possession of the #1 job, bring up Ryan Miller to be the #1 guy if the vet can't do it. The vet is sent down, and Miller and Biron tackle the tending duties.

Thoughts?

Old
10-03-2003, 04:17 PM
Peter Griffin

The Panthers had the option of keeping Hurme but decided to let him go to Carolina anyway. I think they are hoping that Valiquette can be a solid back-up. Besides, Luongo is one of the best young tenders in the leauge easily capable of playing 65-70 games, they don't need a guy like Noronen and wouldn't offer much to get him.

Old
10-03-2003, 04:20 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Sounds Like A Good Idea,however There Is No Quality Goaltenders On The Free Agent Market.

Old
10-03-2003, 05:28 PM
tugnuttfan31

Send a message via AIM to tugnuttfan31
Who needs free agents, make a trade!! TUGNUTT TO BUFFALO! Although I know it's wishful thinking, he makes a good amount.

Old
10-03-2003, 07:55 PM
KillToronto

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugnuttfan31
Who needs free agents, make a trade!! TUGNUTT TO BUFFALO! Although I know it's wishful thinking, he makes a good amount.
No thanks. I don't want Tugnutt here. I'd rather have Biron or Miller play.

Old
10-04-2003, 07:20 AM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillToronto
No thanks. I don't want Tugnutt here. I'd rather have Biron or Miller play.
the return on young goaltenders is weak
i wouldn't want to see buffalo get rid of noronen simply because there are too many goalies
i think regier is better off letting biron and noronen battle each other this year while miller plays full-time in rochester

what would florida give for a backup? 3rd round pick; 4th line player?
no thanks
i think regier should let noronen get some serious nhl experience and maybe he will be more valuable next june

Old
10-04-2003, 08:43 AM
djhn579

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugnuttfan31
Tugnutt would cost us at least a first round pick and then will cost more than any of our current goaltenders cost now. Then he would take playing time away from the young goalies that need the time to develop. KILLTORONTO siad it right, we are better off going with what we have and seeing what happens.

Old
10-04-2003, 08:56 AM
Mr Brownstone

Send a message via AIM to Mr Brownstone Send a message via MSN to Mr Brownstone Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Brownstone
Noronen hasn't had the chance to prove anything in Buffalo. Teams are most likely reluctant to give up too much for Mika. As far as I'm concerned you wait until Miller is ready and deal Biron, since Biron is a proven NHL goaltender you could then get something for him. Once Patrick hangs it up, you're going to need a veteran to teach the youngsters. Remember, except for Patrick and Zhitnik everyone is under 30 here still.

Old
10-05-2003, 11:56 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Note: Flordia just got shields from Boston.

Old
10-06-2003, 02:58 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoak
Note: Flordia just got shields from Boston.
And they only gave up future considerations to get him.

Old
10-06-2003, 06:21 AM
djhn579

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL
Are you thinking he is worth more????
I believe that he is implying that the market is not very good for trading goalies these days, and we wouldn't have gotten much if we tried to trade Noronen (or any of our other goaltensders)

Old
10-06-2003, 06:25 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL
Are you thinking he is worth more????
No, I just think it puts into perspective what type of return the Sabres could expect if they move Noronen right now. I think some Sabre fans will be depressed with the return the Sabres would get if they were to move Noronen right now, that's all.

Old
10-06-2003, 06:56 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob
No, I just think it puts into perspective what type of return the Sabres could expect if they move Noronen right now. I think some Sabre fans will be depressed with the return the Sabres would get if they were to move Noronen right now, that's all.
I'd want a #2 for Mika straight up, but I think it may be a packaged deal if he's dealt...which I don't think he will be.

Old
10-06-2003, 08:00 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
I'd want a #2 for Mika straight up
With the current market for goalies where it is at, I think Regier would have a hard time getting even that much straight up for Noronen right now.

Old
10-06-2003, 08:25 AM
PanthersRule96

For Noronen, you'd probably be able to get a player like Denis Shvidki back who is young and talented. Also, if you had any interest, you guys could have Rossiter, Trnka, Novoseltsev, Bednar, and Lilja for pretty cheap.

It won't happen now, but what about

Lilja

for

Noronen

I dunno whether you guys need D or Forwards so if you need D, Lilja is a good fit.

Closed Thread