HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Best brick/mortar store in NYC/NJ/LI area

Old
05-08-2014, 10:38 AM
adamkesher

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to adamkesher
Best brick/mortar store in NYC/NJ/LI area

Hi guys

I need to get gear, I already have skates, but I need pretty much all my pads and I'm looking for a shop that has a large variety of gear/pads to try on so that I can try on as many options as possible.

I see that the online retailers like Pure Hockey (http://www.purehockey.com/locations/...FIELD&state=NJ) and Hockey Monkey (http://www.monkeysports.com/woodbridge) have stores in New Jersey. I'd be willing to travel there if someone can vouch for their selection and staff.

Beyond that, is there any store on Long Island not SUPER far from the city (ideally within an hour drive) that's really good in terms of selection and staff?

Looking to go Saturday. Any guidance on this would be great.

The closest store to me is Westside Skate and Stick but their selection is super barebones.

Thanks in advance!

adamkesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 11:13 AM
nystromshairstylist
Puck control master

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkesher View Post
Hi guys

I need to get gear, I already have skates, but I need pretty much all my pads and I'm looking for a shop that has a large variety of gear/pads to try on so that I can try on as many options as possible.

I see that the online retailers like Pure Hockey (http://www.purehockey.com/locations/...FIELD&state=NJ) and Hockey Monkey (http://www.monkeysports.com/woodbridge) have stores in New Jersey. I'd be willing to travel there if someone can vouch for their selection and staff.

Beyond that, is there any store on Long Island not SUPER far from the city (ideally within an hour drive) that's really good in terms of selection and staff?

The closest store to me is Westside Skate and Stick but their selection is super barebones.

Thanks in advance!
Try the Sports Plus store in Westchester Skating Academy; they seem to have a large inventory and offer very competitive pricing. The Hockey Monkey store in NJ is not far, but it has reduced its hockey inventory significantly compared to when it first opened, and has set aside a lot of floor space to baseball and lacrosse.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 11:43 AM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkesher View Post
Hi guys

Thanks in advance!
sorry i missed this, but there is a pure hockey that just opened in carle place. they just had their "grand opening" event this past saturday with the first 100 in getting $100 gift certificates.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 12:55 PM
mzm119

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
The Hockey Monkey store in NJ is not far, but it has reduced its hockey inventory significantly compared to when it first opened, and has set aside a lot of floor space to baseball and lacrosse.
Still the biggest hockey selection I've ever seen in person.. has everything you'd ever need. I love that place.

mzm119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 03:09 PM
JZCislesHockey

On Long Island (Farmingdale): Hockey Underground.

JZCislesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 05:40 PM
Kesselology
81 Jump Street

might not be the closest to you but Hockey Haus in Bound Brook is pretty great and Middlebury Sports in Randolph NJ has an excellent selection

Kesselology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2014, 03:12 PM
mzm119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinology View Post
might not be the closest to you but Hockey Haus in Bound Brook is pretty great and Middlebury Sports in Randolph NJ has an excellent selection
Hockey Haus is great. Best place in the area to get your skates sharpened, as well. Also a good place to catch a Rangers game with the owner. If they're playing, it's on the TV.

mzm119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2014, 01:33 PM
bvon44

Pure Hockey just opened up a store in Carle Place on Glen Cove Road. TONS of sticks and TONS of gloves. As for pads, they have a small but good selection, the store is pricy though. The staff was very nice and helpful though.

EDIT: Missed the post above me talking about it.

bvon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2014, 01:54 PM
rh71

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvon44 View Post
Pure Hockey just opened up a store in Carle Place on Glen Cove Road. TONS of sticks and TONS of gloves. As for pads, they have a small but good selection, the store is pricy though. The staff was very nice and helpful though.

EDIT: Missed the post above me talking about it.
I don't understand how they will survive stocking that much. Foot traffic can't be that great and with high prices people will just sample the gear there and buy online like most people already do at pro shops.

rh71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2014, 02:25 PM
li7039

Best Long Island spot is Amity Harbor Sports in Amityville NY.

li7039 is offline   Reply With Quote