HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

NBC Post Whistle Coverage is Terrible

Old
05-11-2014, 09:37 PM
MartyForVezina
Aspiring 1%er

vCash: 500
NBC Post Whistle Coverage is Terrible

Alright, this has gone on long enough. Game in and game out NBC cuts away or never even cuts to scrums after the whistle. Instead they show, say, Henrik leaning back and looking to the sky like he does after every win because that is much more important than 6 players going at it along the boards. Events similar to this have occurred countless times throughout the playoffs.

Sure, there's a lot going on during a broadcast and you have to expect them to miss events after the play on occasion. However, it has been happening far too often this year and to make matters worse they rarely show a replay of a scuffle when they actually have time. They even do not show replays of penalties that were called post whistle sometimes, instead cutting to everyone's favorite babbling analyst, Pierre McGuire.

Anyone else notice the same thing? Discuss

MartyForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 09:40 PM
Benvolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyForVezina View Post
Alright, this has gone on long enough. Game in and game out NBC cuts away or never even cuts to scrums after the whistle. Instead they show, say, Henrik leaning back and looking to the sky like he does after every win because that is much more important than 6 players going at it along the boards. Events similar to this have occurred countless times throughout the playoffs.

Sure, there's a lot going on during a broadcast and you have to expect them to miss events after the play on occasion. However, it has been happening far too often this year and to make matters worse they rarely show a replay of a scuffle when they actually have time. They even do not show replays of penalties that were called post whistle sometimes, instead cutting to everyone's favorite babbling analyst, Pierre McGuire.

Anyone else notice the same thing? Discuss

100% agree. It's pretty annoying.

Benvolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 09:53 PM
David Krejci
STANLEY CUP CHAMPS

Everything about NBC's coverage sucks.

David Krejci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 09:54 PM
EmeticDonut

vCash: 50
That's why I prefer the Canadian broadcasts, because they seem to know how to catch behind the play stuff, post-whistle scrums and reactions far better than NBC.

EmeticDonut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 09:57 PM
HabsHockey

I can't listen to Pierre without going into convulsions so I just stay away from NBC altogether.

HabsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 10:01 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyForVezina View Post
Have noticed this too, for a couple or more seasons.

I have a conspiracy theory. (Honestly! )

I believe that there is more than a good chance that NBC and the NHL have an agreement to cut away from these types of scrums on purpose. No benefit to either the suits at the network, who want to attract, or at least not turn off, the "casual fan" (read: a population often terrified by the "brutality" of NHL hockey). And, the NHL wants the $$$ cow to keep flowing. So, take the camera off it...and it's as if it doesn't happen.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 10:03 PM
hisgirlfriday

When it comes to post-whistle scrums, I am not even sure if it's NBC's incompetence or them abetting the NHL in sanitizing what happens in hockey games by cutting away from things.

hisgirlfriday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 10:05 PM
ShiftyNifty16
What if?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Krejci View Post
You insult suckage everywhere! NBC aspires to suck, they dream of attaining the level suck.

I usually watch 80% of the games on mute or sync up internet radio with the broadcast.

Emerick and Pierre make me want to ice-pick my eardrums.

ShiftyNifty16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 10:10 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3075
They also come back from commercials late or they show a replay of something instead of showing the face-off.

05-11-2014, 10:12 PM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

Absolutely right OP. It's infuriating. Feel like I'm missing half the game.

05-11-2014, 10:16 PM
Groo
Crazy 88

How is this different than most televised games ?

Always bugs the crap out of me

Groo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 10:21 PM
DarthYenik

I just wish NBC would disappear. The way they do hockey. The way they do the Olympics. They cancelled My Name is Earl and Community. They're just bad.

DarthYenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 10:53 PM
HereCometheHawks
O Captain My Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyNifty16 View Post
You insult suckage everywhere! NBC aspires to suck, they dream of attaining the level suck.

I usually watch 80% of the games on mute or sync up internet radio with the broadcast.

Emerick and Pierre make me want to ice-pick my eardrums.
I'm curious as to how you sync them up, I'd love to do that!

HereCometheHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 11:06 PM
no1b4me

NBC only wants to show the game "in play". When the whistle is blown the play is over and it's then time to make money(commercials).

no1b4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 11:19 PM
apricissimus

I think NBC has sort of a script that they go into a game with, certain shots they want to get, graphics they want to display, etc. I'm sure other broadcasters do too, but NBC needs to show more flexibility and a willingness to adapt to game situations. They're rather poor in that regard.

apricissimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 11:19 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Krejci View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeticDonut View Post
That's why I prefer the Canadian broadcasts, because they seem to know how to catch behind the play stuff, post-whistle scrums and reactions far better than NBC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hisgirlfriday View Post
When it comes to post-whistle scrums, I am not even sure if it's NBC's incompetence or them abetting the NHL in sanitizing what happens in hockey games by cutting away from things.
All this^

IMO it was a mistake for the NHL to sign a deal with NBC. I'm so glad I live close enough to the border to get Canadian hockey television because the way the game is covered by NBC is a joke compared to that. You'd think there was barely anything going on besides the skill game, but hockey is so much more than that.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 11:32 PM
ejams

Perhaps the producers do not want hockey seen in that light. And would rather focus on the actual hockey and not the drama behind it.

Personally I agree that hockey should be about big saves, big goals, and sportsmanship. Not grown men that don't know how to act civilized on national television.

ejams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 11:43 PM
fallsviewafro
truculent

vCash: 1075
NBC post whistle coverage is terrible.

fallsviewafro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 01:18 AM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejams View Post
Perhaps the producers do not want hockey seen in that light. And would rather focus on the actual hockey and not the drama behind it.

Personally I agree that hockey should be about big saves, big goals, and sportsmanship. Not grown men that don't know how to act civilized on national television.
Hockey is not about grown men playing civilized. Hockey is as much of a mental game as it is physical, and is meant to be played on the edge of the grey areas. If it was all civilized it would be far to predictable and boring.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 03:25 AM
Mischa
Archie, Marry Me

vCash: 162
if they're looking to eliminate those kinds of things from the game, this would be a great step. (and it would be best to start with fights since they're very obvious)

but they aren't trying to so idk why they'd bother

Mischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 08:33 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

I'm not even exaggerating when I say that NBC doesn't show penalty replays roughly half the time. It's infuriating.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 09:27 AM
ShiftyNifty16
What if?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereCometheHawks View Post
I'm curious as to how you sync them up, I'd love to do that!
I do it with the internet streaming feed of the radio broadcast, it gives you the ability to pause, fast forward and rewind, and the DVR. Figure out which is ahead of the other, pause it and start. It takes a few tries to get just right, but the rewards are exponentially worth the effort.

ShiftyNifty16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 10:08 AM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

What worries me more is the lack of knowledge. I just want them to know Klein is not Stralman, Zuccarello is not St. Louis and Stepan is not Boyle. Man, they are awful. They mix up everything

05-12-2014, 10:13 AM
mighty all the way

I love NBC. NBC>Local coverage(any team I have seen except SJ). NBC is also better than TSN from what I have seen.

mighty all the way is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 10:19 AM
HotPinkBubbleGum
Rub It In

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty all the way View Post
I love NBC. NBC>Local coverage(any team I have seen except SJ). NBC is also better than TSN from what I have seen.
Ducks fans ^

NBC really is frustrating. It's as if producers are weary of showing anything but the goalie or the commentator between the benches after a whistle. And of a course it has to be done with a big graphic over-taking the screen telling you what time the Voice is on.

HotPinkBubbleGum is offline   Reply With Quote