HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Game of Thrones - Season 4 (Part III | NO BOOK DISCUSSION - NO SPOILERS!)

View Poll Results: Who will win the battle?
Oberyn 53 39.55%
The Mountain 25 18.66%
Sansa slaps them both 56 41.79%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2014, 11:55 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 50
Game of Thrones - Season 4 (Part III | NO BOOK DISCUSSION - NO SPOILERS!)

Continue Here.

What is a trial by combat?

Old
05-11-2014, 11:59 PM
Magnifique

So this may seem random, but I must say it because it still annoys me. When he said those things to Shae to get her to leave I felt it was very out of character of Tyrion. I know they made it seem as if that was the only way he could save her, but I feel like if he were honest with her and really attempted to show her the dangers that she would in fact leave. I also feel that is what Tyrion would have done. The way he went about it was very out of character and the second he did it I knew he would come to regret it. A scorned love has no limits. So it annoys me now that this is happening as I figured it would.

I suppose what I'm saying as that it was a bit of a reach TO ME. A very poor choice by a character that rarely makes poor choices.

As far as today's episode goes; I enjoyed it.

Old
05-11-2014, 11:59 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor View Post
Continue Here.

It's Tyrion's signature move.

Old
05-12-2014, 12:03 AM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
^hehehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Dat Tyrion speech. So much awesome and really good job making him look tall and assertive when he was staring down Tywin.
I was thinking that too! As I watched that scene...oh...let's say the third time I was thinking, man Dinklage is acting large for a guy so small!

So....should we make predictions on who dies in the next 4 episodes or this that an invitation for covert REDACTED readers to slip through the cracks?

05-12-2014, 12:09 AM
dtones520

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnifique View Post
So this may seem random, but I must say it because it still annoys me. When he said those things to Shae to get her to leave I felt it was very out of character of Tyrion. I know they made it seem as if that was the only way he could save her, but I feel like if he were honest with her and really attempted to show her the dangers that she would in fact leave. I also feel that is what Tyrion would have done. The way he went about it was very out of character and the second he did it I knew he would come to regret it. A scorned love has no limits. So it annoys me now that this is happening as I figured it would.

I suppose what I'm saying as that it was a bit of a reach TO ME. A very poor choice by a character that rarely makes poor choices.

As far as today's episode goes; I enjoyed it.
Tyrion rarely makes poor choices, but falling in love with a ***** for the second time in his life was a pretty poor choice to begin with.

Old
05-12-2014, 12:12 AM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Quote:
Continue Here.

Trial by combat is pretty simple. It's a more fair trial, decided by pure luck (or, supposedly, the gods).

The 'attacking' party choses a combatant to fight. Of course, the combatant has to accept.

The 'defending' party then choses a combatant to fight. It's generally themselves, since nobody wants to defend them, but again, somebody else can be chosen if they agree to it.

Then, the combatants beat the crap out of each other. One dies. One survives. Whoever survives wins the trial.

It happened in season 1, at the Vale, where Tyrion was on trial for something I forgot. Bronn volunteered to be his combatant, and killed the Vale's combatant. Thus, Tyrion was declared innocent.

05-12-2014, 12:16 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
^hehehe

I was thinking that too! As I watched that scene...oh...let's say the third time I was thinking, man Dinklage is acting large for a guy so small!

So....should we make predictions on who dies in the next 4 episodes or this that an invitation for covert REDACTED readers to slip through the cracks?
Being a reader of the book thread, I won't make any predictions as my knowledge would taint it. I post in both because I like to keep my show reactions largely in this thread.

Old
05-12-2014, 12:17 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Do these 50 minute episodes mean a longer season finale? Hope so. 50 minutes is too damn short.

Old
05-12-2014, 12:20 AM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Also, it seems pretty ****ing stupid for them to keep Varys in a position of power.

He obviously has a bunch of connections in Essos. Of course, those can be used to benefit the throne, but it seems much too dangerous.

Old
05-12-2014, 12:24 AM
Dont Poke Subban

Quote:
So this may seem random, but I must say it because it still annoys me. When he said those things to Shae to get her to leave I felt it was very out of character of Tyrion. I know they made it seem as if that was the only way he could save her, but I feel like if he were honest with her and really attempted to show her the dangers that she would in fact leave.
There's a reason why Tyrion had to do that to Shae. Shae was stubborn AF. Tyrion has warned her a million times in the past that King's Landing is NOT a safe place for her, but the ***** just wouldn't listen.

I really love Tyrion's character. So many things he's done to save people, yet they all want him dead.

Old
05-12-2014, 12:29 AM
Magnifique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshio View Post
There's a reason why Tyrion had to do that to Shae. Shae was stubborn AF. Tyrion has warned her a million times in the past that King's Landing is NOT a safe place for her, but the ***** just wouldn't listen.

I really love Tyrion's character. So many things he's done to save people, yet they all want him dead.
As I said, I understand why they had his character do that. But I don't think his character would have done that. It wasn't necessary. In all the time he told her she needed to go, Tyrion never really explained it to her; he never sat her down and just flat out said this is what's going to happen, you must go.

I get that it needed to happen to further the story. It bothers me that I think they had Tyrion's character do something he wouldn't do to get the story where it needed to go. Maybe I feel this way because I like Tyrion and I didn't want him to **** himself over. I knew it would come back to him speaking to Shae like that. Tyrion generally would have handled it with more tact is all I'm saying.

Old
05-12-2014, 12:31 AM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreider View Post
Trial by combat is pretty simple. It's a more fair trial, decided by pure luck (or, supposedly, the gods).

The 'attacking' party choses a combatant to fight. Of course, the combatant has to accept.

The 'defending' party then choses a combatant to fight. It's generally themselves, since nobody wants to defend them, but again, somebody else can be chosen if they agree to it.

Then, the combatants beat the crap out of each other. One dies. One survives. Whoever survives wins the trial.

It happened in season 1, at the Vale, where Tyrion was on trial for something I forgot. Bronn volunteered to be his combatant, and killed the Vale's combatant. Thus, Tyrion was declared innocent.
He was charged with hiring an assassin to murder Bran.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshio View Post

Tyrion remains my favorite among many favorites.

Tyrion, Oberyn, Littlefinger, Jon Snow, Varys, Podrick, Bronn, Tywin, Jaime is creeping up there, The Hound, Arya, Robb Stark (RIP), Ned Stark (RIP)

More or less a ranking of sorts.

Last edited by DuckJet: 05-12-2014 at 01:47 AM.
Old
05-12-2014, 12:33 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

is Tyrion going to have to fight or can he pick a champion like he did in the vale?

Old
05-12-2014, 12:34 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
He was charged with hiring an assassin to murder Bran.

My expectations:

[MOD]
It's like I want to comment on this list, but I can't. I do like how GoT does make you constantly think "Who is next?"

Last edited by Trance Kuja: 05-12-2014 at 01:51 AM.
Old
05-12-2014, 12:35 AM
PyrettaBlaze*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Blazers View Post
is Tyrion going to have to fight or can he pick a champion like he did in the vale?
He can pick a champion.

Old
05-12-2014, 12:35 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
He can pick a champion.
so Bronn vs. who?

Old
05-12-2014, 12:36 AM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

Bronn vs Jamie?

I have a feeling Jamie may turn Cersei down though.

Old
05-12-2014, 12:37 AM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
It's like I want to comment on this list, but I can't. I do like how GoT does make you constantly think "Who is next?"
Please don't.

A coworker spoiled Joffrey's death and the guilty parties to me before the season started so I've been adamant about not letting anyone who has read the books even discuss GRRM's work with me.

But it's like I said in the last thread. This season's motto is very clearly Valar Morghulis "all men must die"

So far we've got

Night's Watch Mutineers
Joffrey
Dontos

Not really a high death toll just yet of major characters. I expect given the pace of the last few episodes, we're gonna see a good share of important character deaths.

Old
05-12-2014, 12:39 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
Quote:
so Bronn vs. who?
I don't see Tyrion picking Bronn. For all we know Bronn is on his way out of Kings Landing, dead or severely injured.

Old
05-12-2014, 12:40 AM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

^ I still maintain that this plot twist is how we get to our Mountain vs Oberyn fight

1.) it's oberyn's primary plot point and reason for coming to king's landing
2.) It's made clear to Tyrion himself that he means to seek revenge against the man
3.) We can see the two fighting in the foreshadowing video, so it's definitely going to happen
4.) Tywin agrees to allow Oberyn to "meet" the Mountain
5.) Oberyn appears to be particularly interested in Tyrion demanding Trial by combat
6.) He seems to be the only one in the court trying to test the legitimacy of the witnesses trying to get a guilty verdict for Tyrion
7.) They show the Mountain in a preview for the next episode.

Quote:
Bronn vs Jamie?

Jaime won't fight to have his brother's life ended a day after he tried to make a life changing deal to save him.

Old
05-12-2014, 12:41 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Bronn vs Jamie?

That would be insane. I would think Jamie might even let himself get killed to spare his brother's life and as a **** you to his sister and father.

Gives more power to those scenes earlier with Bronn training Jaime.

Damn, now I can't think of any other way for this to happen.

Old
05-12-2014, 12:43 AM
Shareefruck

Stupid question that I'm pretty sure I've asked and had answered multiple times now, but I always forget-- Why didn't they just kill Stannis at Blackwater? Why let him leave and rebuild his army?
Quote:
As I said, I understand why they had his character do that. But I don't think his character would have done that. It wasn't necessary. In all the time he told her she needed to go, Tyrion never really explained it to her; he never sat her down and just flat out said this is what's going to happen, you must go.

I get that it needed to happen to further the story. It bothers me that I think they had Tyrion's character do something he wouldn't do to get the story where it needed to go. Maybe I feel this way because I like Tyrion and I didn't want him to **** himself over. I knew it would come back to him speaking to Shae like that. Tyrion generally would have handled it with more tact is all I'm saying.
I don't know, I think the show made it clear that she wasn't going to leave simply by explaining the situation to her (he's tried many times, maybe not with as much detail as you would have liked, but it sure seemed hopeless to me). I don't think it was out of character for him to do that.

Tyrion isn't really as calculating as you make him out to be, either, IMO-- It wasn't smart to publically threaten/ridicule Joffrey so many times either. He lets his emotions get the best of him sometimes.

Old
05-12-2014, 12:46 AM
Magnifique

Anyone have an opinion regarding why Varys said, "(Sadly), my Lord, I never forget a thing"? As in he regrets what he's doing for Cersei?

Old
05-12-2014, 12:47 AM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

^ Felt more like a...sorry to let you down buddy, but no I never said that.

Quote:
That would be insane. I would think Jamie might even let himself get killed to spare his brother's life and as a **** you to his sister and father.

Gives more power to those scenes earlier with Bronn training Jaime.

Damn, now I can't think of any other way for this to happen.
It's a neat theory actually. Didn't consider that. But where is Bronn through all this?

It certainly would wrap up Jaime's attempts to live out the rest of his life leaving a good legacy behind (although who would remember it that way?). And it's entirely possible that since it appears his "romantic affiliation with his sister" is over, he may no longer feel much of a reason to live. But that's grasping at straws compared to my theory that Oberyn will volunteer in Tyrion's place and Tywin will call the Mountain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Stupid question that I'm pretty sure I've asked and had answered multiple times now, but I always forget-- Why didn't they just kill Stannis at Blackwater?I don't know, I think the show made it clear that she wasn't going to leave simply by explaining the situation to her (he's tried many times, maybe not with as much detail as you would have liked, but it sure seemed hopeless to me). I don't think it was out of character for him to do that.

Tyrion isn't really as calculating as you make him out to be, either, IMO-- It wasn't smart to publically threaten/ridicule Joffrey so many times either. He lets his emotions get the best of him sometimes.
He was never smart as far as matters relating to the family went. He probably felt safe threatening Joffrey since he figured his family relation to him would keep him safe.

Demanding Casterly Rock was pretty dumb too. Don't know why he expected Tywin would concede.

Old
05-12-2014, 12:50 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
But that's grasping at straws compared to my theory that Oberyn will volunteer in Tyrion's place and Tywin will call the Mountain.
doesn't Cercei call a champion? and I would have to think that Oberyn would only champion for Tyrion if the Mountain was summoned first.. otherwise he'd have no reason to

Closed Thread