HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Roman Horak signs in KHL

Old
05-12-2014, 11:26 AM
100 Third Graders
BBQ Anyone?

vCash: 50
Roman Horak signs in KHL

according to his elite prospects page Horak has signed in the KHL

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=18089
Quote:
Date Status From To
05/12/2014 Confirmed Edmonton Oilers Vityaz Podolsk
the link for their confirmation is in Russian and google translate failed on me.

http://www.hcvityaz.ru/news.php?full=1300

zso if one of our Russian speaking posters could help us out that would be great.

100 Third Graders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 11:38 AM
DBU
Never Quit

vCash: 232
Aw, always rooted for the guy, even after the Flames traded him to Edmonton.

Hope he does well in the KHL, and thanks for making the Erixon fiasco look better for us.

DBU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 11:45 AM
jarome

vCash: 500
Always liked Scorak, hope he does well there

jarome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 11:49 AM
ForeverFlameFan
HF/CP Middleman

Not sure why the Oilers buried him in the AHL, he was a PPG player there and may have done well on the big leagues. Oh well, best of luck to you Roman.

ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 11:52 AM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Not sure why the Oilers buried him in the AHL, he was a PPG player there and may have done well on the big leagues. Oh well, best of luck to you Roman.
Never really gave us a reason to call him up as more than a roster filler. He played well on the farm, after about mid-season, our call ups were mostly defensemen and grinders. We had Arcobello buried on the farm for the end of the year and he was on a near 2 ppg pace down there. I don't think we traded for Horak with the intention of having him here past this season. I liked his work ethic though.

ManofSteel55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 11:56 AM
GetThePuckOut

Russia isn't so far away these days. If he keeps working hard, I can seeing him making a return to NA as an improved player. He always had potential.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 11:56 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 520
Oiler fans are going to hate this

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 11:58 AM
Perro

Makes the Smid deal look worse.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 12:01 PM
Tont

vCash: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteel55 View Post
Never really gave us a reason to call him up as more than a roster filler. He played well on the farm, after about mid-season, our call ups were mostly defensemen and grinders. We had Arcobello buried on the farm for the end of the year and he was on a near 2 ppg pace down there. I don't think we traded for Horak with the intention of having him here past this season. I liked his work ethic though.
Umm, of course they had that intention.

Tont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 12:01 PM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
Makes the Smid deal look worse.
He was AHL depth for the year. I don't think our management had any intention of signing him long term. The biggest benefit to Smid was opening up a roster spot to bring up Marincin, who as a rookie, is already a better defenseman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
Oiler fans are going to hate this
Not really. We have enough AHL/NHL tweeners.

Old
05-12-2014, 12:03 PM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tont View Post
Umm, of course they had that intention.
Umm perhaps you should clarify your statement. Guys like Horak are a dime a dozen. He was needed as AHL talent this year. The Oilers have a number of good prospects joining their AHL team next year, and not many spots opening up on the Oilers.

Old
05-12-2014, 12:34 PM
100 Third Graders
BBQ Anyone?

Quote:
Umm perhaps you should clarify your statement. Guys like Horak are a dime a dozen. He was needed as AHL talent this year. The Oilers have a number of good prospects joining their AHL team next year, and not many spots opening up on the Oilers.
teams don't trade for a player just to be filler, but keep telling yourself if it makes you feel better

100 Third Graders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 12:37 PM
haterbehatin

Quote:
No you're way off base on this one. If the Oilers thought Horak was never going to be an NHL player they would've acquired another prospect instead.

Getting Broissoit alone for Smid is a horrible trade by MacT no matter how much Smid's play regressed last year.

haterbehatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 12:39 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
This is an Oilers fan classic mantra, when a guy is acquired the amount of glowing praise is enough to light up a small city. The moment he is gone he is lousy, redundant, horrible, of no use, we never wanted him anyway. etc etc.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 12:44 PM
nogger
ploffs?

nogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 12:47 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
The same reason Calgary never gave him much of a shot. He wasn't good enough.

Skobel24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 12:49 PM
Benedict Kovalchuk
Kovalchuk: A spy?

That abysmal Smid trade is looking even worse, yikes.

Benedict Kovalchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 12:51 PM
fallsviewafro*
truculent

At least we got something out of him before he bolted.

Good luck to Scorak, always seemed like he was ready to take the next step.

fallsviewafro* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 12:55 PM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
This is an Oilers fan classic mantra, when a guy is acquired the amount of glowing praise is enough to light up a small city. The moment he is gone he is lousy, redundant, horrible, of no use, we never wanted him anyway. etc etc.
I never said he was lousy, horrible, or no use, or that we never wanted him. Nor do I think he was redundant to last years team. But its hardly a significant loss either, and it certainly doesn't make the Smid deal look any worse than it already did. If it is "classic Oiler fan mantra", I would also like you to find where I praised him when the trade happened. I think I was fairly indifferent to him being part of the deal. Much like I am fairly indifferent as to him leaving, or, probably as indifferent as I would have been had he signed an extension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haterbehatin View Post
No you're way off base on this one. If the Oilers thought Horak was never going to be an NHL player they would've acquired another prospect instead.

History lesson - The Oilers were desperate to get this deal done so they could sign Bryzgalov. With how highly MacTavish seems to value Brossoit, I am certain that to the Oilers (rightfully or not), Brossoit and cap space were the valuable pieces we got for Smid. Horak was not a huge piece of that deal, and I'm sure Oiler management knew him signing in the KHL this summer was a very real option.

Getting Broissoit alone for Smid is a horrible trade by MacT no matter how much Smid's play regressed last year.
It was cap space and Brossiot. And I think that this has already been established as a horrible trade, Horak signing or not signing doesn't change that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
teams don't trade for a player just to be filler, but keep telling yourself if it makes you feel better
In what world do team not add players to be depth players for the AHL? Depth moves happen all the time. Horak was what he was. A good AHL'er who wasn't quite at the NHL level.

If you guys want to look at Horak signing in the KHL as a huge loss for the Oilers, go ahead, but he wasn't going to make the big club next year, and what he brought to the AHL team can easily be replaced.

Old
05-12-2014, 12:58 PM
madmike77

I don't think he was ever going to be a top-6 guy, but I think he could have been a very solid 3rd liner. Too bad he never really got the chance.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 01:04 PM
missinthejets

Quote:

It was cap space and Brossiot. And I think that this has already been established as a horrible trade, Horak signing or not signing doesn't change that.
cap space, roster space and a goal tending prospect the GM liked, not sure why people aren't grasping that concept. Oilers have lots of bodies on defence and Smid was making too much money for his performance so they gain some cap flexibility and open up a spot for some of their near ready AHL players. People don't seem to understand that it's not bodies on defence that the Oilers are lacking, it's high quality players on defence that they are missing and Smid was not one of those guys at this point.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 01:09 PM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by missinthejets View Post
cap space, roster space and a goal tending prospect the GM liked, not sure why people aren't grasping that concept. Oilers have lots of bodies on defence and Smid was making too much money for his performance so they gain some cap flexibility and open up a spot for some of their near ready AHL players. People don't seem to understand that it's not bodies on defence that the Oilers are lacking, it's high quality players on defence that they are missing and Smid was not one of those guys at this point.
Exactly.

On the positive though, we signed Lander to an extension today.

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|EDM|home

I think its his last shot at making the big club before he heads overseas as well. Hopefully he can do it.

Last edited by ManofSteel55: 05-12-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old
05-12-2014, 01:13 PM
MuffinMerc
Business. Numbers!

vCash: 273
Always liked Horak. I hope he enjoyed his time over here.

MuffinMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 01:14 PM
Vitto79

Nice deal for smid .
Jeesh

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 01:22 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 150
Always really liked Horak, never complained just did his thing.

Best of luck to him. Smid trade looking real nice for the Flames.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote