HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

A rumor with a link--Ferguson looking for trade (Toronto Sun)

Closed Thread

Old
08-27-2005, 01:45 PM
Waterboy73806498

vCash: 500
A rumor with a link--Ferguson looking for trade (Toronto Sun)

This just in from the Toronto Sun. Ferguson looking to make a trade. No players officially mentioned. Klee's name unofficially mentioned by author.

Quote:
General manager John Ferguson reportedly has said the club was examining the market in order to discover if a deal is there to be made.

But he is handcuffed because the Leafs' payroll already is approaching the $39 million US salary-cap limit.
If you want to read the full article you can find it here.
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Toronto/2005/08/27/1190599-sun.html

If Ferguson is indeed looking for a trade, anyone have any thoughts as to what it might be? (besides of course those that have been reported on sportsnet for 5 minutes)

Last edited by Waterboy73806498: 08-27-2005 at 01:56 PM.
Old
08-27-2005, 01:58 PM
Verbal Kint*

Bah, its the Sun.

Also, if that rumoured deal went though, I'd castrate Ferguson with a dull and rusty knife.

Old
08-27-2005, 02:03 PM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

True.

But if you really look at the deal. Granted, Kronwall is older than Colaiacovo. But he's very very good. I see some of Niklas Lidstrom in him. Im not a big big fan of Zetterberg but if, along with Zetterberg they're giving us Evan McGrath...and we add in a late draft pick. I'd do the deal.

However...I just dont wanna let go off Kaberle this easily. He's my favorite Leaf! now that Roberts is gone!

Old
08-27-2005, 02:05 PM
Twist and Shout

I couldn't handle losing two of my favourite Leafs in a single deal.

Old
08-27-2005, 05:22 PM
Mike1

Since when has there been Ken Klee rumors? It wouldn't make sense to get rid of a dependable defencemen like him.

Old
08-27-2005, 06:15 PM
Waterboy73806498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1
Since when has there been Ken Klee rumors? It wouldn't make sense to get rid of a dependable defencemen like him.
Oh it would be a really stupid thing to do agreed. I doubt Klee will be traded.

But it was interesting to note that Ferguson was quoted saying that he is actively examining the market to see if there was a trade to be made.

This means that he is looking to upgrade some part of the team via a trade.

What could that trade possibly be? Trade for a forward? A defenceman? Trade draft picks? (sure hope not)

What trades do YOU think he could or would make to improve the team?

Old
08-27-2005, 06:34 PM
shaner89

for some reason i feel a whole whack of trades coming for toronto. or they will do absolutley nothing. we weill see soon i guess

Old
08-27-2005, 06:36 PM
Nacho
Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDdY
True.

But if you really look at the deal. Granted, Kronwall is older than Colaiacovo. But he's very very good. I see some of Niklas Lidstrom in him. Im not a big big fan of Zetterberg but if, along with Zetterberg they're giving us Evan McGrath...and we add in a late draft pick. I'd do the deal.

However...I just dont wanna let go off Kaberle this easily. He's my favorite Leaf! now that Roberts is gone!
You're joking right? Zetterberg is the price in this deal, Kronwall is still unproven...

Old
08-27-2005, 06:53 PM
Mike1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner89
for some reason i feel a whole whack of trades coming for toronto. or they will do absolutley nothing. we weill see soon i guess
I don't think they will do anything trade wise. The only thing I can see happening is that they sign a free agent during training camp.

Old
08-27-2005, 07:28 PM
albathegreat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner89
I hope your right.. I love trades.. Just be smart JFJ.

Old
08-27-2005, 07:37 PM
joepeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almothegreat
I hope your right.. I love trades.. Just be smart JFJ.

I don't get how were "APPROCHING" this 39 mill cap... were at like 31 mill arn't we????

well Washington at 20 mill I guess is also approching the 39 mill cap...

Old
08-27-2005, 07:40 PM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepeps
I don't get how were "APPROCHING" this 39 mill cap... were at like 31 mill arn't we????

well Washington at 20 mill I guess is also approching the 39 mill cap...
JFJ wants to have Allison's bonuses on this cap so he has even more space next year(like say Allison meets all bonuses and expectations and proves he's still a star in this league, then he could be re-signed for big money and still leave lots of cap room)

Old
08-28-2005, 04:57 PM
Waterboy73806498

so was this article prlude of something to come tomorrow?

Old
08-28-2005, 05:14 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy73806498
so was this article prlude of something to come tomorrow?
Well after seeing how JFJ deals with the media ("well we are continuing to explore opportunities to make this club better, we have yesterday, we will today and we will tomorrow..etc...") While this is very unexciting to fans who want to hear the juicy rumours, it is probably the best way to run things from the Leafs point of view and I don't think he is the type to suddenly say "yes we are going to trade someone soon".

If in fact he said "examining the market in order to discover if a deal is there to be made.", then it sounds like one of his stock "don't bother asking" statements like "..well we are continuing to explore opportunities to make this club better, we have yesterday, we will today and we will tomorrow..we are always examining the market in order to discover if a deal is there to be made" taken the wrong way. (purhaps on purpose by the author to stir things up)

Old
08-28-2005, 05:21 PM
Leaf Shaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by crump
Well after seeing how JFJ deals with the media ("well we are continuing to explore opportunities to make this club better, we have yesterday, we will today and we will tomorrow..etc...") While this is very unexciting to fans who want to hear the juicy rumours, it is probably the best way to run things from the Leafs point of view and I don't think he is the type to suddenly say "yes we are going to trade someone soon".

If in fact he said "examining the market in order to discover if a deal is there to be made.", then it sounds like one of his stock "don't bother asking" statements like "..well we are continuing to explore opportunities to make this club better, we have yesterday, we will today and we will tomorrow..we are always examining the market in order to discover if a deal is there to be made" taken the wrong way. (purhaps on purpose by the author to stir things up)

You forgot to mention 'Make no mistake'. Another one of JFJ's favourite things to say.

Old
08-28-2005, 05:27 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Shaker
You forgot to mention 'Make no mistake'. Another one of JFJ's favourite things to say.

Old
08-28-2005, 06:16 PM
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Shaker

I kind of wish it was something he would do.

Closed Thread