HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kypreos: TOR shopping Phaneuf to the West - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2014, 08:57 AM
TheyCallMeKato

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatic View Post
I once thought he'd be better playing fewer minutes as well. Then I looked at his numbers and found the opposite is true. I'm not saying he's a 1A Dman but he's definitely a solid 1B or #2. Calling him anything less is being unfair. The 6mil came from thread 1. Most fan bases wanted roughly 1mil retained.
I only think the leafs should retain 1mil. But I still think his value is less than 6 mil. I think he will be better off in a smaller market, less spot light, less pressure. Any player in Toronto is under insane pressure, Phaneuf obviously cant handle it. If he doesn't get moved they should take the 'C' from him, just to alleviate some pressure. Let him focus on hockey and that's all. I think it would be interesting to see how he plays when he steps back from the spot light a bit, maybe he will show me he's worth 6+ mil. I hope he does, I'd love noting more than Phaneuf playing like a 7 million dollar player! I just cant see it

Old
05-13-2014, 08:58 AM
WTFMAN99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Just like Gillis insisted on a hockey trade when attempting to trade Luongo.

If you're trying to get rid of a huge contract, you're the beggar. Not the chooser.
Unfortunately I don't run the team, but i'd be happier just keeping Phaneuf. Our blueline is awful without him.

Old
05-13-2014, 09:02 AM
13pacheco31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Talks out of Dallas apparently suggest the Stars are working on a deal for a "big name defenceman".

Wonder if it's Dion.

EDIT: Nvm, I misread, that was a tweet from the deadline. Still, gotta think Jim Nill is kicking a few tires around the league to fix Dallas's blueline. Wouldn't doubt he and Nonis have talked, either.
If the Leafs were to make a trade with Dallas they'd probably expect Seguin or Nichuskin in the deal which isn't going to happen. I've read a couple proposals offering Ritchie, but an okay prospect who's a winger (which is the Leafs only strength) doesn't really make any sense. Probably wouldn't make ideal trading partners.

Old
05-13-2014, 09:03 AM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13pacheco31 View Post
If the Leafs were to make a trade with Dallas they'd probably expect Seguin or Nichuskin in the deal which isn't going to happen. I've read a couple proposals offering Ritchie, but an okay prospect who's a winger (which is the Leafs only strength) doesn't really make any sense. Probably wouldn't make ideal trading partners.
Uh, no we wouldn't.

Old
05-13-2014, 09:04 AM
hotpaws

vCash: 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFMAN99 View Post
Unfortunately I don't run the team, but i'd be happier just keeping Phaneuf. Our blueline is awful without him.
Our blue line is awful with him as well and if we're not going to compete in the near future anyway what's the point in keeping him .

Old
05-13-2014, 09:14 AM
Phatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Keep reaching for the stars!
Not sure if your misinterpreting. I am suggesting a trade around morrissey and pétan for phaneuf. Are you saying this is unreasonable to the point of being laughable?

Old
05-13-2014, 09:14 AM
ForeverFlameFan
HF/CP Middleman

vCash: 50
Flames would only want him if he is cheap, and if the Leafs are that desperate to give him away.

Old
05-13-2014, 09:19 AM
Phatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
oh please, if DP made it to UFA status he would have gotten more $$ than his contract right now.
worth has little to do with it, when some teams have a hard time getting players to want to play there they overpay, or if 2 same division teams are competing for the same player one will always break the bank.

Leafs may take a lesser deal and not retain a penny, or, he gets offered to 2 teams in direct competition.
I understand your point. Based on other fan bases comments I put his value around 6mil. In other words below 6 is unreasonable, above 6 some people felt it was too much and others could deal. Open market is not trade market.

Old
05-13-2014, 09:21 AM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Flames would only want him if he is cheap, and if the Leafs are that desperate to give him away.
We are not desperate to trade him and not likely to come 'cheap'.

Old
05-13-2014, 09:23 AM
tucker3434

Quote:
Originally Posted by miley View Post
Realistic trades for Phaneuf:

EDM - 3rd overall
ANA - Lindholm, but they don't need Phaneuf
CAL - 4th overall, but they don't need Phaneuf ATM
COL- ROR + 1rst pick
DAL- I don't know that much about them
LA- Toffoli +
MIN - Coyle +
NAS- doesn't need him
PHO- doesn't need him
STL - doesn't need him
WIN- Trouba or Schiefele+
SJ - nothing interesting
CHI - doesn't need him
VAN- Horvat+

Phaneuf isn't gonna be traded for crap.
Realistic? Avs wouldn't give you ROR alone for that terrible contract.

Old
05-13-2014, 09:24 AM
Phatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
You've said as much. But he's not and we aren't. As others have said, think of what you'd expect for Gio.

Old
05-13-2014, 09:28 AM
hotpaws

vCash: 1342
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
We are not desperate to trade him and not likely to come 'cheap'.
maybe we offer Burke one of his "soft deals".

Phaneuf
Kessel

Monahan
Baertschi
1st - 14
1st - 15
2nd - 15

Old
05-13-2014, 09:28 AM
Phatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker3434 View Post
Realistic? Avs wouldn't give you ROR alone for that terrible contract.
Just out of curiosity what would you want from the leafs for EJ? Please don't give me the "nothing" answer. Look at our roster and tell me what it would take.

Old
05-13-2014, 09:29 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
I understand your point. Based on other fan bases comments I put his value around 6mil. In other words below 6 is unreasonable, above 6 some people felt it was too much and others could deal. Open market is not trade market.
this is basically an auction... and the Leafs need to hope there is more than one buyer to drive up the price

Old
05-13-2014, 09:29 AM
13pacheco31

Quote:
Uh, no we wouldn't.
He's a top pairing defenceman. How many of those are being traded?

Old
05-13-2014, 09:30 AM
King William
GREATEST LEAF EVER

Quote:
Just out of curiosity what would you want from the leafs for EJ? Please don't give me the "nothing" answer. Look at our roster and tell me what it would take.
It would probably cost JVR.

EJ is not the same EJ from his draft year but he's a good top 2 defenceman.

Old
05-13-2014, 09:32 AM
KingsCourt

a lot of leaf fans going to be disappointed...if there expecting any type of assets back. Only way that happens is if they take back a bad contract....that list of 'realistic' trades is laughable...3rd overall? 4th overall? ROR AND a 1st? Coyle? Toffoli? Trouba or Schiefele+? top 5 picks and to prospects for a grossly overpaid dman who doesn't hit, doesn't score, dosen't lead..come on dude!!!

Old
05-13-2014, 09:36 AM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13pacheco31 View Post
He's a top pairing defenceman. How many of those are being traded?
He is but we wouldn't expect Seguin and Nichushkin in return. I doubt the Leafs management would demand either player either. That's all I'm saying.

Old
05-13-2014, 09:38 AM
13pacheco31

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsCourt View Post
a lot of leaf fans going to be disappointed...if there expecting any type of assets back. Only way that happens is if they take back a bad contract....that list of 'realistic' trades is laughable...3rd overall? 4th overall? ROR AND a 1st? Coyle? Toffoli? Trouba or Schiefele+? top 5 picks and to prospects for a grossly overpaid dman who doesn't hit, doesn't score, dosen't lead..come on dude!!!
He took a drop in scoring this season from his usual production but he still puts up points. I don't know where you get that he doesn't hit, maybe not as much as before but he still hits. He's not nearly as bad as most people say he is, it's just mostly people parroting things the media says. He's only considered bad because he's not a very popular guy among his peers and in the media for whatever reason.

Old
05-13-2014, 09:40 AM
13pacheco31

Quote:
He is but we wouldn't expect Seguin and Nichushkin in return. I doubt the Leafs management would demand either player either. That's all I'm saying.
If they're trying to trade him for the sake of getting rid of him I'd say yes. But I don't think that's the case. If they're just feeling out offers, they'd expect a ridiculous return for him.

Old
05-13-2014, 09:43 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
McDavid is the impact the Leafs will be gunning for if they trade Phaneuf
I don't think you're in touch with reality here.

There isn't a person in the game who would go out there with the intention of losing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Just like Gillis insisted on a hockey trade when attempting to trade Luongo.

If you're trying to get rid of a huge contract, you're the beggar. Not the chooser.
At the end of the day, we're not in a position to get rid of that big contract unless we have an impact player in return.

Quote:
the world is flat, and Richards fell off the edge. ...stop living in the past, Richards is a ghost of his former self, and not worth Dion in any way.
I'd probably consider a Richards-Phaneuf swap, or at least something close to it. Dion is obviously the better player, but Richards is the better leader, and cheaper. Accomplishes the culture shock the Leafs are looking for, filling a need in our #2C position, and are then left with Kadri to try and rebuild the blueline.

From a cap perspective, it seems like it should work. Obviously Phaneuf results in the Kings letting a Mitchell or Greene walk. They've got about $11m to spend with Gaborik, King, Mitchell, and Greene up for contracts. Assume Gaborik costs $7m, Richards-to-Phaneuf is $1.25m. I'd imagine that Mitchell would come back at substantially cheaper.

Last edited by seanlinden: 05-13-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old
CRDragon
¯\_(シ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorNsh View Post
People will call you nuts, but the truth is, this IS Phaneuf's value.
This is not the truth? Those deals ARE pretty bad.

Phaneuf's value is not as high as you may think. Most likely the Leafs will have to keep salary to at least make Phaneuf more valuable.

Phatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsCourt View Post
I assume you're out west and don't get to see many leafs games? He's hits plenty, gets under people's skin, scores at a similar clip to doughty. I'll give you from an outsiders perspective he doesn't look like a great leader. Same question to you as the Avs fan though: what would you demand from Toronto if LA was considering shipping out DD?

Old
05-13-2014, 09:46 AM
MPStoEberletoHall

Quote:
I assume you're out west and don't get to see many leafs games? He's hits plenty, gets under people's skin, scores at a similar clip to doughty. I'll give you from an outsiders perspective he doesn't look like a great leader. Same question to you as the Avs fan though: what would you demand from Toronto if LA was considering shipping out DD?
Wait your not comparing a top 5 D man in the league to a top 25 D man are you.... Dion is no where near as good as Drew

Old
05-13-2014, 09:47 AM
sd1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
You honestly can't name 15 d-men you'd take over Phanuef?

- Weber
- Kieth
- Chara
- Subban
- Seabrook
- OEL
- Pietrangelo
- Bouwmeester
- Hamhuis
- Karlsson
- Doughty
- Giordano