HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Future PIT Moves Should They Lose

Old
05-13-2014, 07:33 AM
StuckOutHere

vCash: 500
Future PIT Moves Should They Lose

Dreger on TSN Radio this morning.

‏@Hope_Smoke 37m
Dreger on TSN Radio "if the Pens lose I think Ray Shero needs to take a hard look at player personnel"

@Hope_Smoke 34m
Dreger "the Pens have a lot of money locked up into that core. It might be time to move Malkin out."

@Hope_Smoke 34m
Dreger "there are those, close to Crosby, who say he thinks it's time to get him better wingers"

Dreger out to lunch here? Just filling time? Trying to create smoke so his in-law doesn't have to answer questions about Phaneuf?

Discuss.

StuckOutHere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 07:43 AM
ThatGuy

Send a message via MSN to ThatGuy
There is no possible trade involving Malkin that would improve the pens

ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 07:45 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Is he really wrong though? A lot of people have been saying this for a long time. Not necessarily move Malkin, but the core needs a shakeup. Fleury and Letang would be my first moves.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 07:53 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Meh...mostly just speculation and opinion. Personally, I think it may be time for a slight shakeup, but not a major one. I mean, they're once again one game away from yet another ECF. Why trade major pieces now?

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 07:53 AM
StuckOutHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
There is no possible trade involving Malkin that would improve the pens
I mean, there is. The question is whether under the current salary system it could be executed. As great as Malkin is, does Pittsburgh win more games with Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Kunitz, and Sutter or does Pittsburgh win more games with Crosby, Backes, Tarasenko, Sobotka, Neal, and Kunitz. That of course wouldn't be the complete deal (Malkin/Sutter for Backes/Tarasenko/Sobotka), but I think that team can attack you in more ways and do it with more potent lines 1 through 4. Malkin is a very special player, but this isn't ancient Greece. Cups aren't won with chosen champions, but with well-constructed armies.

Old
05-13-2014, 07:54 AM
StuckOutHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Meh...mostly just speculation and opinion. Personally, I think it may be time for a slight shakeup, but not a major one. I mean, they're once again one game away from yet another ECF. Why trade major pieces now?
I bet they'd try and move someone else like Letang first.

Old
05-13-2014, 07:58 AM

CBJ might have one more fan if they move Malkin. I'd think long & hard about my ability to support a team that's actively trying to get worse.

3074326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 08:05 AM
madmike77

Find a way to get some real wingers. A more consistent starting goalie would help, but at this point I don't see MAF as the team's biggest problem. They desperately need better wingers in the top 6.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 08:08 AM
hotpaws

vCash: 1000
Trade Malkin ?

Dregs has gone full ... again .

If Pens lose I could see them trading or buying out MAF and looking for a new home for Letang to free up cap space and add a few pieces for the latter .

The team needs better/more physical wingers and an upgrade on D and net or at least a cheaper goalie that's on par with MAF .

Last edited by hatterson: 05-13-2014 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Not needed
hotpaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 08:09 AM
Jacko95

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post
Find a way to get some real wingers. A more consistent starting goalie would help, but at this point I don't see MAF as the team's biggest problem. They desperately need better wingers in the top 6.
Purcell would be available for a 2nd round pick.

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 08:11 AM
penguins2946*

Dreger is an idiot. Both Neal and Letang would be moved before Malkin. If we had Staal still, maybe you could slightly justify moving Malkin. But we don't. Unless we're getting something crazy like Kessel, JVR and Kadri, I'm not even considering it.

penguins2946* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 08:14 AM
Epic Neal Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Is he really wrong though? A lot of people have been saying this for a long time. Not necessarily move Malkin, but the core needs a shakeup. Fleury and Letang would be my first moves.
Other team's fans who want Malkin have been saying this, sure. I agree about Letang being my first move though. If the Penguins look to free up salary, they'll do it from the back-end rather than the forward group.

Epic Neal Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 08:15 AM
StuckOutHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vokouna Maattata View Post
Dreger is an idiot. Both Neal and Letang would be moved before Malkin. If we had Staal still, maybe you could slightly justify moving Malkin. But we don't. Unless we're getting something crazy like Kessel, JVR and Kadri, I'm not even considering it.
Fact is, you would get something crazy.

Old
05-13-2014, 08:16 AM
Metalcommand

Pens are built in a way that Malkin and Crosby both have to play god-mode if they want to win it all. And that's hard in the playoffs.

Metalcommand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 08:19 AM
SprDaVE

Call me crazy but I've been saying for a while that the Pens should trade Malkin to distribute the depth better across their bottom 9 lines.

I guess I am crazy after all.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 08:19 AM
GeneralOddball

Send a message via Skype™ to GeneralOddball
If Detroit had something of interest for Pittsburgh, Malkin would look good with Datsyuk But it's never going to happen.

GeneralOddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 08:21 AM
Mantha Poodoo
Playoff Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckOutHere View Post
Fact is, you would get something crazy.
But historically, even discounting the Gretzky and Lindros trades (both of which were extreme circumstances), the return you get for a player like Malkin tends not to be as crazy as moving him out would be.

Mantha Poodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 08:23 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

I don't see how you win a trade where you are giving up Malkin. No team is going to gut their roster of players for him, I don't think Pitts would be able to even add many players before hitting the cap ceiling. There's no realistic deal out there that could force Pitts to move Malkin.

Gigantor The Goalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 08:23 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckOutHere View Post
Dreger on TSN Radio this morning.

‏@Hope_Smoke 37m
Dreger on TSN Radio "if the Pens lose I think Ray Shero needs to take a hard look at player personnel"

@Hope_Smoke 34m
Dreger "the Pens have a lot of money locked up into that core. It might be time to move Malkin out."

@Hope_Smoke 34m
Dreger "there are those, close to Crosby, who say he thinks it's time to get him better wingers"

Dreger out to lunch here? Just filling time? Trying to create smoke so his in-law doesn't have to answer questions about Phaneuf?

Discuss.
facepalms for days

Should the Pens lose, they should ship out their hardest working superstar who is always there for them during the most important moments.

If anyone is getting traded it is Kris Letang.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 08:24 AM
TheyCallMeKato

I could see Malkin moving. It would make sense. Crosby is going to retire a Penguin. He has won a cup already, he's fine. That being said he want to win another and will. I see Malkin moving for a roster player (winger), prospect and a pick (or two depending on the players involved.) I don't know, just spit balling.

TheyCallMeKato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 08:25 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Neal Time View Post
Other team's fans who want Malkin have been saying this, sure. I agree about Letang being my first move though. If the Penguins look to free up salary, they'll do it from the back-end rather than the forward group.
Its not just fans. Theres plenty of media talk about how the core is very expensive but then the talent level plummets to below average.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 08:26 AM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vokouna Maattata View Post
Agreed with Neal and/or Letang before Malkin

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 08:28 AM
Znith

If they want better wingers for Crosby - why not just play Malkin with him? They are terrific together.

Then work out a trade for a good 2nd line C like Kesler.

Znith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 08:31 AM
StuckOutHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantha Poodoo View Post
But historically, even discounting the Gretzky and Lindros trades (both of which were extreme circumstances), the return you get for a player like Malkin tends not to be as crazy as moving him out would be.
Fact is, that wasn't a cap world. It has to be money in, money out. That means teams will need to offer up established players with real track records and with real salaries. That is part of why I suggested a deal based around Malkin/Sutter for Backes/Tarasenko/Sobotka/picks. Those old deals are not comparable as teams just threw a multitude of picks, prospects, and money at teams because neither team had to worry about breaking league mandated rules on spending. Players also made less, further simplifying the money issue.

Old
05-13-2014, 08:32 AM
matt trick

They'd be crazy to trade him. If Crosby did want better wingers, use picks, prospects, and some of those young d-men to get him one.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote